Topic: Check this out Stoney, regeneration.  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Check this out Stoney, regeneration.
« on: March 15, 2010, 07:07:18 pm »
http://www.physorg.com/news187879295.html

1 gene lost = 1 limb regained? Scientists demonstrate mammalian regeneration through single gene deletion
March 15, 2010

A quest that began over a decade ago with a chance observation has reached a milestone: the identification of a gene that may regulate regeneration in mammals. The absence of this single gene, called p21, confers a healing potential in mice long thought to have been lost through evolution and reserved for creatures like flatworms, sponges, and some species of salamander. In a report published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers from The Wistar Institute demonstrate that mice that lack the p21 gene gain the ability to regenerate lost or damaged tissue. 

The potential there is just amazing.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Check this out Stoney, regeneration.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:47:41 pm »
What's the catch?  We wouldn't have gained a gene that inhibits our ability to recover from injury unless it conferred some sort of competitive advantage.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 08:07:34 pm »
What's the catch?  We wouldn't have gained a gene that inhibits our ability to recover from injury unless it conferred some sort of competitive advantage.

The lack could have been an advantage at some particular time and place.  Times change so do places.

I'd love to see a drug that could suspend that gene function in humans long enough to regenerate an injury. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:42:38 pm »
that is fantastic. i loved the article. thanks for the contribution!
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 07:40:19 pm »

The lack could have been an advantage at some particular time and place.  Times change so do places.

I'd love to see a drug that could suspend that gene function in humans long enough to regenerate an injury.

Or the gene could have some function that we don't know about.  For instance, the genes that cause some types of diseases can sometimes confer other advantages.

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 01:25:14 pm »
I think that gene is the jaded attempt of mother nature to prevent the world from overpopulating with  humans.,.and even with it...she failed.
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division