Topic: So, What Do You Think MS Will Do About This "New" IE Problem?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
I'm getting the feeling that they might have to reopen limited support for XP. They can't expect everyone on every version of IE to upgrade immediately just to get the patch for IE11. You can't even run anything over IE8 on XP anyway right? Firefox and other browsers may suddenly get a lot more popular.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: So, What Do You Think MS Will Do About This "New" IE Problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:28:05 pm »
For those big enough to pay they will patch.  The rest they'll say "you were warned". 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:54:01 pm »
Curious timing.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:29:10 pm »
MS ended support for Windows 98/ME without correcting a known security flaw.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 04:23:52 pm »
They're not forcing us to buy their new OS.  They have simply handled their old OS in such a way that we have to take our old computers off-line, an buy a new system if we want to continue to access the internet.  Everybody should have two computers.  In few years, assuming we can find parts to keep the old ones running, we'll have multiple computers, each running different OS's so we can still run the software we bought in different years.

I wish I had thought of this back when I was playing Wing Commander.  Anybody remember DOS?
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:16:58 pm »
You can fix the problem by using a browser that isn't IE.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 06:59:59 pm »
Why even worry about most use thier smart phones anyway surfing the net using a an old pc is thing of the past.It is phones and tablets now not desktop computers.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 07:05:25 pm »
I wish I had thought of this back when I was playing Wing Commander.  Anybody remember DOS?

FreeDOS still exists.  I've used it but not recently. 

Why even worry about most use thier smart phones anyway surfing the net using a an old pc is thing of the past.It is phones and tablets now not desktop computers.

Not everyone has or wants a cell phone. (Myself for one).  The desktop is here to stay in some form. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 07:10:59 pm »

FreeDOS still exists.  I've used it but not recently. 

Not everyone has or wants a cell phone. (Myself for one).  The desktop is here to stay in some form. 

I can understand as I don't want one either but most people are using cell phones more and more and tablets are gaing in popularity.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:22:34 pm »
I have a tablet.  I use it to read E-Books.  I also use it to play some video files (damn thing has better resolution than my desktop) when riding the train or severely bored at work.  I download the videos from Youtube with my laptop though.  The tablet rarely is connected to the internet.  I also use it (the tablet) and a bluetooth speaker to play sound effects when riding my E-Bike on "shared use paths".  People react better to an E-Bike that sounds like a train than to my either beeping my horn or not beeping it. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 02:22:20 pm »
For those big enough to pay they will patch.  The rest they'll say "you were warned".

Here is something I don't get to say very often:  I was wrong.   :o

Link

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 02:32:46 pm »

Here is something I don't get to say very often:  I was wrong.   :o

Link

I think the fear of losing even more market share to non-MS browsers pushed them to it. What I want to know is what did the aliens do with the real MS?
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 02:43:50 pm »
I think the fear of losing even more market share to non-MS browsers pushed them to it. What I want to know is what did the aliens do with the real MS?

We Klingons had nothing to do with it.  I suspect the Tholians.  They are really sneaky S.O.B.s

Microsoft has on occasion "done the right thing" before, so it isn't unprecedented. 

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »
Wow Virginia, there is a Santy Claus!  :D Thanks for the link. I updated my old XP machine even though I don't go online with it anymore. You never know.