Topic: The Great Experiment...  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
The Great Experiment...
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:34:19 pm »
This is the culmination of a design that was just an idea that was tossed back and forth between a colleague of mine who goes by the handle "Starship" and myself.
the Helix-Class is literally the direct development of the older Pisces-Class I did a while ago... Hope you like her  ;)

Helix-Class:

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: The Great Experiment...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:35:00 pm »
Oh that is wicked wierd!
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:40:04 pm »
I must say, that is nice looking. It almost looks Organic.

Hmm, maybe a 25th century vessel?

What era did you have in mind for this, as I really like it.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 07:01:01 pm »
For once, I don't like the design.

But I do think its a nice idea mate. And that final sketch is superb  ;)

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 07:32:40 pm »
Oh that is wicked wierd!

What he said. Segetion move the secondary hull between the 2 saurcers.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:59:34 pm »
Oh that is wicked wierd!

What he said. Segetion move the secondary hull between the 2 saurcers.
I did that already on the Pisces, and the older Odyssey... this one's set the way I envisioned her :)
For once, I don't like the design.

But I do think its a nice idea mate. And that final sketch is superb  ;)
It's cool mate, I can't win them all with everyone :)
I must say, that is nice looking. It almost looks Organic.

Hmm, maybe a 25th century vessel?

What era did you have in mind for this, as I really like it.

Stephen
After the Events of Nemesis, but technically it could be the 24th Century for the events caused by ST11
Oh that is wicked wierd!
Yeap

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 02:42:29 pm »
Dorsal:

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »
Do like
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 03:40:19 pm »
Some background...

Helix Class Generation Ship

By the mid 25th century, technology had allowed for travel acrossed much of the known milky way galaxy.  With most of the galaxy now accesible, the Federation set it sights outward, towards its neighboring galaxies.  It was felt that the current technological advancement would allow them to send a generation ship across the expanse with the goal of the eventual construction of transwarp gates.  In order to be feasible, the expanse would need to be crossed within 100-120 years.  This would require a ship to sustain at a minimum warp 9.99 or it equivalent - and thus the first criteria. Next the ship would need to be completely self sufficient - needing to be effiecient as well as hold larger reserves of raw material for the voyage, the second criteria.  Finally, the ship would need to be able initiate colonization quickly and efficiently so that construction of a transwarp gate could commense - the final criteria. 

The Helix class was unique among the many candidates put forth.  First, it easily was the largest ship ever concieved and constructed by the Federation for purely colonial purposes.  Among its peers it was the only ship capable of accomplishing all mission requirements with out the neccesity of additional support craft due mainly to its size and unique abilities.  Chief among them was the unique helix shaped saucer section.  Designed to seperate from the ship upon arrival at its destination it would become the foothold base from which colonization and the ultimate construction of a gate would spring from.  Further supplies could be contained within the area between the saucers on exterior hardpoints allowing for increased storage with out compromising the ship internal volume.  This proved essential due to the nature of the material the trans warp gates are constructed of.  Prolonged, direct exposure any particulate material - such as what could be expected from the time spent on a  generation ship even with the best filters, would result in many medical issues croping up.  Storing the material would require sections of a ship to be completely sealed from the habital portions in order to ensure no particulates ever entered the atmosphere.  By allowing for these materials to be stored in exterior sealed pods, this issue was completely circumvented.  This has the benifit of ensuring the ships interior volume, argueable the most well shielded areas of the ship, would remain accecible to the crew.  Further the unused volume could be utilized to hold more supplies.

However all of this would be moot if the ship could not sustain high warp velocities or its equivalent.  While other ships employed more exotic methods of conveyance, from teleportation to slip stream, the Helix took a more classical approach.    Each nacelle contains 4 seperate warp coils.  In total, the ship would have 8 coils, running no more than 4 at any one time.  The 4 coils running would run in cyclic manner, with 2 being on and 2 being off.  The interval at which they cycle is dynamically adjusted to reduce degradation and to ensure effieciency of the system, ranging from a few seconds to several minutes.  Further, at periodic interverals the active coil sets would be 'swaped' - A side to B side - to allow for maintenance and to reduce degradation of the engine systems. In this way the effective run time on each coil would be approximately 25 years total.  To ensure continous operation at such high warp speeds, the coils were developed from a new super dense alloy and employed more radical construction methods.  This allowed for 1 warp coil to be as effective as any pair utilized in the fleet today.  All of this put together would allow the ship to maintain warp 9.992 for 9 weeks, with 1-2 weeks of downtime for maintenance. 

With a crew compliment of just under ten thousand, three ships would be required to make the trip.  While one ship would be more than capable of accomplishing the mission, this would ensure that there was a viable population to start with as well as provide redundancy and support through their voyage.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 04:41:04 pm »
I'm surprised you didn't go in the direction of the Dauntless's Slipstream. It has the smooth geometry that would permit it. Very cool backstory nonetheless.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 05:49:18 pm »
I don't think our current understanding of slip stream alows for voages of that length while warp drive is dependable over that kind of time and distance.

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 07:21:28 pm »
The wit and imagination of you gents is simply amazing.

Offline starship

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 05:10:55 am »
Hi Chris!
I´m happy to stop here for today. Thank you for give me a credit, but I don´t deserve it so much. You made totally new ships upon my initial idea. The evolved Pisces Class is a B E A U T Y !!!!! Cause these things I´m your fan. ;)

You really need to venture yourself with a high polly modelling tool, and give a life to your awesome ships. Already thinked about this?

Keep doing the GREAT work my friend!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 07:56:45 pm »
Did Cylons have any influence on the design?
 Man that could be a perfect ship the Cybertrons like Data would run.  :thumbsup:  better yet Lore and Hue with his borg gang joined starfleet.   :)
Love the Bio Tus  :thumbsup:
Whos makeing this ? I cant wait to see a wip.
Time for life!

Offline starship

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 10:09:00 am »
Hey Chris, if it´s not to ask you so much, could you post perspective views (is it 3/4?), taken from the front and back?

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 07:10:49 pm »
Hey Chris, if it´s not to ask you so much, could you post perspective views (is it 3/4?), taken from the front and back?
if I can get to it, you got it :)
atm i'm working on other ideas