Topic: Stoney, Start saving your nickles and dimes bro...  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Stoney, Start saving your nickles and dimes bro...
« on: July 05, 2010, 02:58:40 pm »
http://www.dailytech.com/WickedLasers+Unveils+Lightsaber+Powerful+Enough+to+Set+People+on+Fire/article18681.htm

It goes without saying that this product is not safe for children

With recent advances in lasers, many have fantasized about creating "real life lightsabers".  Many military commanders have fantasized about creating portable blasters along the lines of those portrayed in fictional workers like Star Trek and Star Wars.  The Spyder III Pro Arctic laser from WickedLasers can be seen perhaps as the culmination of those efforts and perhaps the first consumer laser weapon.

The laser is built with a diode from Casio's new mercury-free Green Slim projectors which ironically have a somewhat blue tint.  The laser is rated at 1 watt of power and retails for a mere $200 USD.

And here's the best (or worst) part -- it can set people (or things) on fire.  Apparently the laser is so high powered that shining it on fleshy parts will cause them to burst into flames.  Of course it's equally capable of blinding people.  The retailer warns:

Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class IV Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form.

If you're willing to "sign the form", WickedLasers warns you "With greater power comes the need for greater responsibility." (We can't make this stuff up, really!)

The laser comes in sleek packaging that looks, unsurprisingly like a lightsaber.  Hopefully its users follow the path of the light side.  The last thing we need is a bunch of Sith running around.

The price of $200 is quite commendable, considering it's 20 times as powerful as the company's previous best model, "Sonar", while a mere tenth of the cost ("Sonar" sells for $2,000 -- we imagine it will be discontinued as it seems most customers will flock to the Spyder III).  The product even comes with a free pair of safety glasses, so you don't accidentally blind yourself.

Obviously it goes without saying that this is not a product to leave around kids.  Don't say we didn't warn you.

----------

Link for pics. Oh yeah, I could have so much fun with this.

I could take out tree stumps by using it as an ignition from a safe distance away.  Or cook those wild boars I hunt, on the fly.

Soooo much fun.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: Stoney, Start saving your nickles and dimes bro...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:27:19 pm »
yep saw this a few weeks ago. i sooooo want one. here is the thread i did on it: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163390379.0.html
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:51:10 pm »
Sorry to spoil your fun, but was has this bs to do in the hands of the public ,or anyone for that matter?

For what?? to blind some people? make them to lifelong cripples?
THe seller should go to jail.

THe guy who gave the permit to sell the stuff should go to jail.

We don't talk about a handgun with blinds in it or a friggin taser,..the scumbags on the street will use  those things to blind airplanes  and manipulate soccer games,and to seriously harm people, and as collateral's after a few years we got a few avoidable blind persons.

SOrry but i think the  bosses of that company  have just sh*t for brains.
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:39:26 pm »
Oh I imagine them to be banned, or at least for them to Try.

I also read where Lucas has started a lawsuit against Wicked Laser.

The time is getting closer, when we will have arguments in the Supreme court, over lasers being an arm etc.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:09:00 pm »
It's not a light saber, I don't know why they decided to style the "hilt" after one.  I think it would have made more sense to put it in a Phaser or a Blaster Housing.  Because it is the guts of what will eventually be a laser rifle.  I don't think it's small enough to be put into a pistol, but I can imagine the time will be coming shortly.

As for the legality, I think a number of countries will try to ban it.  Europe probably will be successful, while the US is a toss-up.  It certainly has some issues, but the argument about sporting events doesn't wash because there's no way its going to be able to be smuggled in, and if it is, its a felony to use it to disrupt the sporting event, and it's going to be fairly obvious who did it.  There's already laws on the books regarding pointing electronics at Airplanes as well, so no new laws need to be here.  I imagine that the US will adopt a report and register law in regards to them.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:02:13 pm »
It's not a light saber, I don't know why they decided to style the "hilt" after one.  I think it would have made more sense to put it in a Phaser or a Blaster Housing.  Because it is the guts of what will eventually be a laser rifle.  I don't think it's small enough to be put into a pistol, but I can imagine the time will be coming shortly.

As for the legality, I think a number of countries will try to ban it.  Europe probably will be successful, while the US is a toss-up.  It certainly has some issues, but the argument about sporting events doesn't wash because there's no way its going to be able to be smuggled in, and if it is, its a felony to use it to disrupt the sporting event, and it's going to be fairly obvious who did it.  There's already laws on the books regarding pointing electronics at Airplanes as well, so no new laws need to be here.  I imagine that the US will adopt a report and register law in regards to them.
Yep its sure to happen more waisted time by our $250K a year min each congress member, to cry about. So would this go under the already over 22000 gun laws or will this start a new ERA a Lazer/phaser created with a series of tubes tech LOL.  I want to know more about the possable new laws on this from this congress this year! :crazy2: That would get some good for the country votes for sure.
Time for life!

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:10:12 pm »
kehakoul you are waaaay over reacting. there is  a warning on the site before purchase, you have to agree to it before they will sell it. there are warnings all over the thing. there are tons of things just as dangerous sold today without warnings. guns, knives, gunpower, acid, chemicals...etc...

plus there is this from wicked lasers about the product and added features for safety:
"A safety lock feature prevents accidentally turning on the laser, and an extra lens reduces its power by 80 percent until it's removed."

and yse lucas filed a lawsuit, which he will lose btw, here is the link: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/06/light.saber.lucas/?fbid=cHtgq9XVHTv
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:04:06 pm »
So mounting one on my electric bike to "deal with" discourteous drivers is out then?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."