Topic: -/\- One for Hawkeye, New stealth materials made.  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
-/\- One for Hawkeye, New stealth materials made.
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:11:30 pm »
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-06/metamaterials-are-new-black-and-perhaps-new-stealth

A new blacker-than-black metamaterial absorbs almost all the light that hits it, heralding a new breed of stealth technology.

The material's internal structure absorbs almost all the electromagnetic radiation in a particular range, New Scientist reports. Ordinary black objects, by contrast, always reflect a bit of light. The material could be applied to all parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, meaning it could be used to make materials invisible to radar.

Designed by Evgenii Narimanov of Purdue University, Mikhail Noginov of Norfolk State University in Virginia and their colleagues, the material consists of silver nanowires embedded in very thin 0.4-inch aluminum oxide squares. Their array-like structure gives them their unusual properties, New Scientist says.

Man-made metamaterials can also bend light to create invisibility cloaks, ultra-thin sound-proof walls and even miniature Big Bangs and megaverses.

The researchers tested their new black material with near-infrared radiation, just beyond the red end of the visible spectrum. When the radiation hit the polished material at less than 45 degrees from perpendicular, about 20 percent of the radiation bounced off. When they roughened the material so it wasn't smooth, less than 1 percent of the radiation bounced off.

Narimanov told New Scientist the technology would likely be used to build radar-proof stealth equipment.

-----------------

Props also to Capt. Mike for his email listing this amongst the many interesting articles.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: -/\- One for Hawkeye, New stealth materials made.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:36:15 pm »
that is awesome! i would love to see a space craft built with that to see if the interstellar radiation can be controlled more easily as well.
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: -/\- One for Hawkeye, New stealth materials made.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:08:47 pm »
that is awesome! i would love to see a space craft built with that to see if the interstellar radiation can be controlled more easily as well.

With the discription that it absorbs the radiation instead of reflecting it, it might actually cause more trouble when put out into heavy radiation.  Better to get a surface that reflects near 100% then absorbs near 100%.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.