Topic: Freshly Found Neat Stuff  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Freshly Found Neat Stuff
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:33:08 pm »
Cross posted from engineering as I'm not sure how many modelers read it...

Two interesting items I came across recently you might be interested in if you have not found them already yourselves:

• CloudSCAD

It's OpenSCAD for the web. It lets you write, share, mashup, and customize parametric 3D models using the OpenSCAD scripting language all within the browser and doesn't require anything to be installed locally.

That and a few other things...

• Sculptris

Sculptris wants you to make 3D models. Download it and have a go! I'm sure you will enjoy.

It is pretty cool. I gave it a try. It can export to wavefront obj.

[youtube=640,385]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DNRg6pdNeE[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:07:44 pm by Bonk »

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: Freshly Found Neat Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:04:25 pm »
good lord the poly count must be insain. Looks sweet and will end real modeling efforts for good. Im sooooooo glad i didnt go pro the cost of schooling V/S for someone to make a program to do it in the end.
Time for life!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »
Yeah the polies must be nuts on some of these. My thought was that it might come in handy for some oddly shaped parts that can then be exported and reduced in face count.

It is kinda modelling for dummies, but not all artists are cad operators. Tools like this are going to be useful in content production. But processing power will always require clever optimisation of models by experienced gaming modelers. No doubt in my mind.

I'm quite curious about the CloudSCAD thing. Haven't tried it out yet.

Watch what three.js has in store too. (an early engine, there are others too, I'm trying to integrate one now that pollutes the DOM with globals.. arg)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:41:45 pm »
Sculptris looks like a free version of ZBrush. The poly count in Zbrush can reach epic numbers as well, but it is designed to. It makes use of some programming magic that I cannot wrap my head around to render millions of polies all at once and store changes to them on each subdivision. It is often use to sculpt out Normal Maps.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Aramus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 02:29:23 pm »
Its more like Mudbox..

I have played with mudbox as I hold a licence for all 2011 autodesk products. What I found was that with all of these sculpting programs is that you need a good graphics tablet to make good use of them. In all honesty I have seen some superb work done with this stuff. The best way to date I have seen is to make your basic geometry in your usual 3d program, then import into your sculpting program to add detail. then project a normal map onto your lower poly model.

But for film, and game animated sequences such a great piece of kit. Good find Bonk, was not aware of this particular software.

For now, I have just invested in an IPAD and paid for the sketchbook app, so an expensive graphics tablet will have to wait.  :huh: