Topic: new ships?  (Read 6700 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: new ships?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »
Take a look at this video. It gets into a little bit of theory and is a decent walkthrough on how things work. The tutorial is for 3ds Max, but the theory can be applied to pretty much anything
[youtube]A0TOLIBq8gM[/youtube]
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 03:32:34 pm »
Here is a link to milkshape
http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/

If you go the Milkshape route be sure to get the plugins (SFC/Armada/BC/Others import and export with hardpoint/node editing by Chris Graham, Assimilation Software)
http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/ms3d/download.html

and a few tutorials
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Milkshape_3D_SPAS_12_Shotgun_Modelling_Tutorial;36160

http://www.webdesign.org/search.php?keywords=milkshape&category=

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=milkshape

hope these help

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 10:56:54 pm »
This is not really a smart question, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

Why is there so many Frigging Federation ships! jeezee....

Every time I  turn around New Fed designs are popping up...Can't anyone make new Hydran, Lyran or even Tholian ship designs?  I mean of course you can....but why don't you?

And what is with the Gorns.....at first they were rounded hull designs, like the miniatures...and now there long rectangle shaped things.

Now I'm not a modeler..so I really don't know everything involved...but if someone would point me in a direction and tell me what modeling programs you use I'll bang a few out myself....and send them to you.

Draw up a design im sure someone will be willing to try to model it.   Fed designs are more cause its the fan base and easy. Some of us have created entire fleets and get no respect because its not canon theme.

Kreeargh,
Not entirily true I like the Non trek stuff and the work that others have done as I know exactly how much effort go into these things. I do apprieate the work poeple do and yes that includes you. I don't post as much in threads about releases anymore but tend to download the ships as they are released. if I knew how to steal them off other peoples PCs' I would not wait that long :)

I also have seen the abuse that has been put towards it, and had it handed to me a few times, so I know where you are coming from. So trust me when I say though I don't post in allot of threads any more, mostly Q&A stuff, I have always been a fan of anyone that is willing to put forth the effort to create and release a ship.

"US being modelers in general"  I was not talking about me. I model for fun and to help those in need not glory if so i would atleast be able to texture 1/2 arse  :P
 I know many freinds that get no glory and have quit because of simmler issues of lack of respect for their work. Some i know are learning and ask for comments and get balked at for it not being perfect work. One thing i know for a fact the net public is not newby freindly these days. Glory is the rule it looks like.  Edit :  If some think about it . How many new modelers have posted work and get little to no comments at sfc work alone?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:13:11 pm by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 11:26:36 pm »
I think to many people mistake dislike of a design as a lack of respect. I have quit commenting on art as it is to touchy a subject for many.

Way to many times those who ask for comments take criticism as a petsonal attack. If I hate a design that is all the design doesn't work for me. The modelling maybe done wonderfully.  Thus as said, too many time I have seen a comment on a ship saying a person didn't like this or that and the modder read "you suck" which wasn't what was typed. Thus comments are getting harder to get.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 11:37:51 pm »
I think to many people mistake dislike of a design as a lack of respect. I have quit commenting on art as it is to touchy a subject for many.

Way to many times those who ask for comments take criticism as a petsonal attack. If I hate a design that is all the design doesn't work for me. The modelling maybe done wonderfully.  Thus as said, too many time I have seen a comment on a ship saying a person didn't like this or that and the modder read "you suck" which wasn't what was typed. Thus comments are getting harder to get.

I think you are tactful enough to be able to dislike the design and still admire the workmanship, and convey that effectively... wierd that someone took umbrage... *shrug*
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 12:07:35 am »
Yeah I try and keep the art, the artist, and the artist skill separate. Take AToLM, I dislike probably 90% of his work. But dang, can he draw. I love his work because of the level of detail he does. We just have different eyes when looking at the subject matter.

I think it is because when you do "art" you pour yourself into the product. Some then take a rebuke of the end product as a rejection of themselves. They can't step back and see that everyone has different eyes for art (and that is what makes art so interesting).
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 01:11:57 am »
I'm just going to throw this stone out there in the lake....

Um...If modeling is considered a form of artwork...and the artist, be it a he or she is critical of other peoples work in that field, then how/why would they themselves misconstrue a comment about there art and take it personally..

I believe marstone is correct in his observation.

IMHO.....I love Thomas Kincaid, I do not like the Mona Lisa, I love the Kirby Silver Surfer not the Moebius Silver Surfer...
We all see thing differently...nothings personal...

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 03:05:34 am »
Um...If modeling is considered a form of artwork...and the artist, be it a he or she is critical of other peoples work in that field, then how/why would they themselves misconstrue a comment about there art and take it personally..

I think that it is a bit more involved than this. I think it has to do with delivery. If I post a design that I worked hard on and someone posts "Wow, this sucks, go kill yourself", I'm going to be more than a little miffed. I'm not 'taking it personally' per say, but I'm still angry at the fact that they just spammed with inarticulate hate.

Now if I post the same design and someone posts "Hey, It doesn't really do anything for me. This is probably because the engine design looks tacked on, it doesn't really add to the shape." or even just an honest, but polite "Don't mean to be rude, but it doesn't get me excited." I'm not angry in either case. The first one gives some honest C&C, the second one is stating an opinion politely. I'm okay with people have opinions, and I'm okay with people sharing them. I'm NOT okay with people doing it rudely or unfairly.

Now, in the matter of the age-old "is modeling art?" question. I find the answer to be "sometimes". Art, to me, is the creation of a thing to evoke a response - be it intellectual or emotional. Most models, especially those you find on here, are more Design than they are Art. Design, to me, isn't about provoking a response, so much as they are a creation of an aesthetic. Now, granted, usually there is some overlap, and usually you need an element of design to hone-in on the reaction you want to provoke with your art. Furthermore, as art is very individualized, A good starship design can provoke an intellectual response from me - getting the gears turning as to what this would be like in-universe, rendering it art in my eyes.
Architecture is a good example of more-design-than-art, but a well written novel is more-art-than-design.

And of course, this is all just my thinking on the matter :).
Robinomicon

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 07:22:46 am »
And as always...

You are correct and well spoken....
I on the other hand..knew what I was thinking but I could not put it into words as eloquently as you  :smitten:

Art is after all......a matter of opinion...be it emotional, visual, intellectual or physical....

You are wise beyond your years.. :notworthy:

intermech

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 09:01:54 am »
For starting out modeling, I would recommend Milkhshape. It was the best $30 I ever spent in around 2001, now, almost 10 years later, I still use it exclusively.