Topic: Campaign to build an Analytical Engine  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Campaign to build an Analytical Engine
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:08:02 pm »
Link to full article

A UK campaign to build a truck-sized, prototype computer first envisaged in 1837 is gathering steam.

More than 1,600 people have pledged money and support to build Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine.

Although elements of the engine have been built over the last 173 years, a complete working model of the steam-powered machine has never been made.

The campaign hopes to gather donations from 50,000 supporters to kick-start the project.

"It's an inspirational piece of equipment," said John Graham-Cumming, author of the Geek Atlas, who has championed the idea.

"A hundred years ago, before computers were available, [Babbage] had envisaged this machine."

Computer historian Dr Doron Swade said that rebuilding the machine could answer "profound historical questions".

"Could there have been an information age in Victorian times? That is a very interesting question," he told BBC News.

There is only one question to ask.  Could it run SFC?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: Campaign to build an Analytical Engine
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:28:58 am »
Probably better then vista/win 7 does.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:39:01 am »
That brings up the other question.  What will it's OS be?  Since it isn't x86 compatible that eliminates Windows and DOS.  So it comes down to Linux, BSD or something custom.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 04:30:12 am »
I would say it wouldn't have an OS as we are bused to. Most likely more like programming in machine code. But I would lay odds that if they gey it running someone will try and port Linux to it. 
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.