Topic: Video Card Problem  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Video Card Problem
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:30:54 pm »
I have a GForce 8800GT video card and everytime I start my computer the card is at 147 deg. F, but as soon as I spend about 5 mins in a game the card goes all the way to 180+ degs. and causes my screen to go black though allt he sounds and everything can still be heard. I have Ntune and have the fan set to max on the card but it still does it.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Video Card Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:51:43 pm »
Hmm lemme get my Fahrenheit to celsius converter but 147°F sounds like a pretty hot startup temp...  63°C it is... that is kinda hot to start if you ask me. And crashing at 82°C? That's pretty hot.

For some reason it sounds to me like the thermal coupling between the video processor and it's cooler has been broken?  (paste went dry, got eaten away by rancid scotch fumes... whatever?)

I'd start with a careful physical exam.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:58:36 pm »
Check this out:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)   105  C

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_8800_gt_us.html

That's 221°F - wow... optimistic of them. Gotta love planned obsolescence.  ;)  (I know I'm not helping... well maybe...)

The question then is, how old is it and how many gaming hours on it? Is there a firmware update? (extreme caution)

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:06:09 pm »
the card I have had since last christmas.. Too many gameing hours to count....... Not sure on the firmware but all the drivers are up to date and someone in another forums listed a BIOs for the card but I am not sure how to install a BIOs on a card at all.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:23:21 pm »
It sounds more like a physical problem over a BIOS or driver problem given youve had it since last christmas. I've assumed youve tried taking it out and getting all the dust off it, is it under warrenty still? Id suspect so, if so then you might want to just RMA it for a new card, which overall will be more beneficial than trying to keep one thats probably suffering damage from all the heat so much. If not then it really needs a good physical examination to figure out if any of the card is damage or gone(thermal paste, coupling as Bonk mentioned) . BIOS updating is serious which is why Id suggest RMA first over trying to fix it assuming all the warrenty conditions are all valid.
If not though oh some other questions, Was there any specific game or program you installed right as this started?
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:29:25 pm »
the warrenty was only good for 6 months so thats out of the question. The sensor program Nivdia (spelling) provides show the card heating up big time when I start playing a graphics heavy game. (used to not do that before I reformated my system)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 09:58:52 pm »
Is the fan on the card even firing up? Or does it even have a fan? been a long time since I looked at the 8800's.  Did you possibly move another card closer to it, which is blocking cooling?

Shoot, you might even have to just pop open the side of the case, Turn down graphics on all the games to low, and see if that helps, Otherwise, It's time to get a new card.

Wish I could help more bro.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 01:53:32 am »
My first suggestion would be to take a can of canned air to it and try to blow out all the dust.  If you do regular maintance on your computer this might be none issue.  My second suggestion would be try to increase your ventelation around in and around your case (aka cable management as well as good air flow).  finallly if all else fails you could invest in an aftermarket cooler (or even just open your case up and point a good ole fashioned room fan at it ;))
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"