Topic: WARNING!!! Microsoft Sabotaging WinXP?  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
WARNING!!! Microsoft Sabotaging WinXP?
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:09 pm »
I've been having some problems with WinXP over the past two months.  I've narrowed it down to either Firefox (VERY DOUBTFUL) or something to do with Windows Update.  I tried to figure out why, but it's consistent...three installs over three months and it's happened EVERY TIME after the second update of WinXP (first round does its stuff, then the second round...there's a third boot up restart cycle, but the slowdowns with booting up seems to start with the second round).

Furthermore, today it killed the OS completely, did a complete computer check of all hardware, they checked fine...the startup stopped on the MUP file, either the file after or that file maybe the one getting corrupted?

That pretty much disgusts me...I'm thinking MS is trying to force an upgrade to Win7 (I already have a computer with that...I also use the XP one however).  I'm thinking this may be a sign for a move to Linux...or Apple. 

I'm trying to find verfication of this however...as this is actually QUITE infuriating to me.  It SEEMS like MS is purposefully sabotaging it's own OS...I can't pin it exactly yet since I'm not a Windows wiz...but if I find out it's true...I sure hope someone posts this all over the place since NO business should be able to screw people over like that.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: WARNING!!! Microsoft Sabotaging WinXP?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »
I've been having some problems with WinXP over the past two months.  I've narrowed it down to either Firefox (VERY DOUBTFUL) or something to do with Windows Update.  I tried to figure out why, but it's consistent...three installs over three months and it's happened EVERY TIME after the second update of WinXP (first round does its stuff, then the second round...there's a third boot up restart cycle, but the slowdowns with booting up seems to start with the second round).

Furthermore, today it killed the OS completely, did a complete computer check of all hardware, they checked fine...the startup stopped on the MUP file, either the file after or that file maybe the one getting corrupted?

That pretty much disgusts me...I'm thinking MS is trying to force an upgrade to Win7 (I already have a computer with that...I also use the XP one however).  I'm thinking this may be a sign for a move to Linux...or Apple. 

I'm trying to find verfication of this however...as this is actually QUITE infuriating to me.  It SEEMS like MS is purposefully sabotaging it's own OS...I can't pin it exactly yet since I'm not a Windows wiz...but if I find out it's true...I sure hope someone posts this all over the place since NO business should be able to screw people over like that.
Dont upgrade or use xp on line change is FORCED not wanted these days get used to it.  :angel:
They forced lp to tape change then cd, tv change, vcr to dvd change soon dvd to blue ray , You forget minysag :crazy2: is a corp they are their own person corps have a heart and hurt like you do. You screwd them by buying their product at a "whine forced reduced price whine " that was stolen from 6 to 50 other corps all for the fun of bling bling windows. Funny how one corp can copy wright the word windows. Makes me sick to have to pay $ to some arse to sing the song Happy birthday IN public to my son on tape or video without some possable charges is show in public.
Time for life!

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:57:16 am »
I wouldnt believe so my Windows XP computer is still running smoothly, really though all that is mainly needed with Windows XP installs these days is SP3 (or 2 if some dont like WinXP) and maybe some of the additional optional downloads, all of which you can just DL off their download center instead of Windows update, either way doesnt seem very effective way to do it.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 10:08:32 am »
Still running my home server on XP... last updated about a week ago. I use MBSA to update my server though instead of running windows updates services all the time. I just load them up when needed to run MBSA. The whole BITS thing give me the jitters. Windows update it is a total mess, the dialogs make no sense, the status indications are clearly not what it is doing... they overcomplicated the whole thing. Thank goodness MBSA still works.

Oh wait though.... recent changes to wsuscan.cab or some such... they gave me issues last update. I'll see if I can find the relevant posts for you... (I can envision scenarios in a clean install situations now where depending on the update path windows update just might not get it...)

damn, I cant find the bookmarks and I'm not sure I have the file name right but there is a certain place in both Vista and XP that update info is stored and if you make a backup copy of the folder, stop windows update services then delete its index and replace the cab with the appropriate new version and start windows update services and it should take... sorry I don't have the links... maybe later...

ah don't have the XP info on hand but in Vista...
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ScanFile\wsusscan.cab or wsusscn2.cab as appropriate. A google on the filenames should turn up MS update pages with the latest files appropriate for the platform. (make sure the microsoft site and file is genuine).

The location is a littel different in XP i think and what I ended up doing was using wsusscn2.cab which I will now need to download manually each time I start the windows update service to run MBSA. ... I think that was it...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:29:47 am by Bonk »

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:01:34 pm »
Just a goofy question here....
after you install XP (pro I'm assuming) then you install SP-1, SP-2 and SP-3...why would you ever update that?

I mean...doesn't your system work like a champ with just that? :-\

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 01:36:54 pm »
after you install XP (pro I'm assuming) then you install SP-1, SP-2 and SP-3...why would you ever update that?

I guess so, I was doing clean installs, switched everything up now though...in fact some would say I've just switched to the darkside.  Trying out Apple and stuff now...in fact on Safari right now seeing how well it works.  Problems seem to have gone away with apple installs instead of Microsoft...funny how that works.

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 02:26:34 pm »

Well there is still some additional stuff in updates that is worth having, like most of the .NET framework stuff (STBC for example wont run without the basic .NET framework 1.0 i believe is the version) and if I remember that .NET stuff is still classified as optional updates in Windows update. For the most part though a standard XP install with SP3 will be just fine for standard computer use and standard gaming.

I guess so, I was doing clean installs, switched everything up now though...in fact some would say I've just switched to the darkside.  Trying out Apple and stuff now...in fact on Safari right now seeing how well it works.  Problems seem to have gone away with apple installs instead of Microsoft...funny how that works.

Its really still a pick of poison lol, Apple's stuff sometimes works better sometimes doesnt, ive heard just as many Apple complaints as I have MS complaints, kinda just is a luck of the draw to which company works for each individual.

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 02:47:44 pm »
I have done several clean installs using a institutional copy with all of the service packs with no problems over the past couple of months...

Link: ht

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 03:14:32 pm »
See....

that's like all the bad talk about vista...

I'm running vista right now and the only problems I run into are when I try to run my older dos games, I have to run dosbox and do some tweaking...
I'm not a big fan of vista but to wipe my HDD and reinstall XP Pro on my laptop, then try to find all the drivers is more of a headache then I want right now..

All my desktops run XP Pro 32bit & 64bit, (i have 4)

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 03:42:55 pm »
See....

I'm running vista right now and the only problems I run into are when I try to run my older dos games, I have to run dosbox and do some tweaking...
I'm not a big fan of vista but to wipe my HDD and reinstall XP Pro on my laptop, then try to find all the drivers is more of a headache then I want right now..

All in all it really depends on how you end up using your OS, for the average user, it almost will never matter and each OS will do what it needs because average = just basically email, web browsing and some general application use, the dicy part for Vista for me was with Wireless, it took a million and a half years for the university's network to be IDed on vista after connecting but less than a second on Windows 7 on the same system and network. With OP, both Windows 7 and Vista fail at it still but its just going to depend on what you end up doing on it that'll determine if or if not that OS upgrade is right for you.

Technically speaking though the newer OSes deserve a bashing for failing to consider legacy games and support. So because OP wasnt perfect written in coding standards and DirectX usage it fails to function right in Dynaverse. On paper each OS upgrade should support everything before it plus the new stuff, Vista and 7 fail to do that by a large margin even with the compatability mode.

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 03:58:00 pm »
Technically speaking though the newer OSes deserve a bashing for failing to consider legacy games and support. So because OP wasnt perfect written in coding standards and DirectX usage it fails to function right in Dynaverse. On paper each OS upgrade should support everything before it plus the new stuff, Vista and 7 fail to do that by a large margin even with the compatability mode.

BULLY..bully.... I agree!

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 06:17:20 pm »
I have a Dell laptop that runs XP Pro and every time I update windows it has serious issues with any .NET update.  I've had to reformat/reload once because of it.  What I have found is that if I install patches in order from lowest to highest, IE 1.0 --> 4.0, then I don't have any problems.  However when I let windows update install them in the order they are downloaded then I have problems, not booting right etc.  It's weird, and I don't have any explanation for it but that's what works for me.

I haven't seen anything like this since Windows Live Mail not starting up more than once per reboot or unless I go into Task Manager and kill the Live Mail processes.  This issue started ever since I put separate accounts on the machine for the kids.  Strange as he|| but at least I know how to get around it.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 06:33:07 pm »
I don't see one system with problems from an update as any evidence of a "vast Microsoft conspiracy".  If I were a judge I'd have to dismiss the case very early on for lack of evidence. 

It is much more plausible that your system either has a piece of hardware not being properly identified and thereby having inappropriate drivers installed (been there seen the BSOD resulting) or has some subtle incompatibility (been there too been blocked from accessing the internet thought I could connect). 

I really don't believe that Microsoft wants lawsuits on the scale such actions would bring.  They really are not that stupid or that evil.  Give them some credit for being rational at least.

Not Guilty.  Case dismissed.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 08:29:08 pm »
I don't know about that....

Microsoft has done some stupid things before...

how do you explain not offering online support for 98SE-XP pro..and you can not walk in a store and buy vista anywhere...well at least here in NC..

It's not that hard to make the jump that they could...could put a bug in there and say "it's not us :angel:..it was a hacker...
also most manufacturers building the motherboards.....they won't support older versions of win either..

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 10:55:22 pm »
Sorry i cant trust them $ talks kill old software any how possable = forced to convert  more $ in their pocket for same product you already had :-\.
Time for life!

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 12:39:19 am »
Gees, I had an early Win XP Pro machine, and every new virus went right through my anti-virus software, no matter how careful I tried to be.  As soon as I installed Norton 360, the machine became practically unusable.  As I had filled up the HD, I was in need of a new box, anyway.  That's when I made the mistake of buying one of the first Vista machines.  After fighting with programs that hung up while loading, not being able to communicate with my old piece of junk, and dealing with all the nag screens, I ended up buying another license for XP Pro.  MS has been on my manure list ever since.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 01:28:42 am »
Gees, I had an early Win XP Pro machine, and every new virus went right through my anti-virus software, no matter how careful I tried to be.  As soon as I installed Norton 360, the machine became practically unusable.  As I had filled up the HD, I was in need of a new box, anyway.  That's when I made the mistake of buying one of the first Vista machines.  After fighting with programs that hung up while loading, not being able to communicate with my old piece of junk, and dealing with all the nag screens, I ended up buying another license for XP Pro.  MS has been on my manure list ever since.
Well your trouble firstly there is getting Norton 360 lol, Norton = your computer wont be yours anymore quite simply and a lot of other AV products simply are quite useless to any virus, except the basic silly ones, so its hardely even worth mentioning some of the AVs out there you'd pay for, best AV is still the person at the computer, and its why many with Windows still can surf the internet without any AV or protection and not get a single virus.

Sorry i cant trust them $ talks kill old software any how possable = forced to convert  more $ in their pocket for same product you already had :-\.

also most manufacturers building the motherboards.....they won't support older versions of win either..

Along these lines, well as a coder I can argue just how hard it can be to keep support for older versious of stuff, mixing old and new is a very big challenge and you'll always have a bit of instability with the new that makes the old look more awesome, but you still can get XP, and even 7 down to a rock solid OS just dont throw on a bunch of junk at start up and keep a ton of programs running at once that your not actively using + browser plugins and for the most part that'll keep windows running just as lean and smooth as anything else (starting with no Norton).

The only thing I really take issue of them doing is not giving users a mode or ability to put Vista/7 in a mode that'll relax its standards when it comes to coding standards for games (including DirectX), so users would still be able to work and use old games and apps that are still great even in todays standard.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 02:26:10 am »
See....

Technically speaking though the newer OSes deserve a bashing for failing to consider legacy games and support.
When it comes to this I blame it on Bethesda if you are talking about Star Trek Legacy not MS.I haven't had any issues updating XP and I do dl all the .Net frameworks.It works fine on 2 pcs for me and I have my 7 drive.

When reinstalling do you reinstall java and adobe flash as well as an AV?They wouldn't sabotage their own OS as the last of our 98s got all the updates untill support was stopped.This is at the office.

Originally Posted by ShadoDiver: how do you explain not offering online support for 98SE-XP pro..and you can not walk in a store and buy vista anywhere...well at least here in NC..
They stopped supporting 98 SE about 2 years ago and XP pro has been discontinued as retail product. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 09:15:34 am »
I don't know about that....

Microsoft has done some stupid things before...

Yes they have but this brings them back into antitrust court if it can be proven.  They REALLY don't want that again.  Considering their current pushing to get Google into antitrust I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do something this blatant that would give Google ammunition against them.

how do you explain not offering online support for 98SE-XP pro..and you can not walk in a store and buy vista anywhere...well at least here in NC..

98SE is "ancient" in software terms and has minimal users.  Since they don't make money off it and haven't for a long time no support is natural.  I think they should have bundled up all their patches and allowed them to be freely distributed myself but the law doesn't require that just as it doesn't require eternal support.

Isn't XP still getting patches?  What type of online support do you expect for XP that it isn't getting?

As to Vista not being sold retail.  Why would the retailers want to keep the old product on the shelf when it has such a bad reputation?  Who is buying it in preference to the much better reviewed Win 7?

It's not that hard to make the jump that they could...could put a bug in there and say "it's not us :angel:..it was a hacker...

How would the hacker get it into Microsofts own patch system?  Microsoft would have to admit their Windows security had been violated to a severe level to allow that.  That would really not be a smart claim for them to make as it would be a clear statement that no one was safe using Windows if even Microsoft can't run it securely on their most important systems.

Now show that the lack of support there is due to pressure from Microsoft and you have the basis of a lawsuit.  Otherwise there is nothing there to blame Microsoft about.

If they had a way that was legal I might agree with you but I don't think there is the evidence that they did.

With Vista and Windows 7 they might have such a way.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 11:46:54 am »
Nemesis, Nemesis...Nemesis.....Whew...you must be an attorney :) (i tip my hat to you)

(imho) I don't think the antitrust suit scares them a bit...keyword here is (again) It has happen before, it will happen again.. we as  a consumer just don't know when these things will happen, it's all just speculation to us.. but we do have time and experience on our side to know when a good deal is (not so good), Now I'm not a coder like SCM_SFHQ_XC, but I was told that older OS's like 98SE and 2000 are written without a certain code for tracking purposes..which make them a GREAT OS for hackers...I don't know.. that's just what I was told..

As far as the Google acquisition..we all saw this coming..and MS has been trying to buy the entire market since IBM and TI fell under there umbrella..why fight your competitors when you can own them? that also has been going on throughout our entire history. empires have been made and civilizations have crumbled under that kind of power. look at it this way..what if..(warren buffet, bill gates and Jay-z formed a union) now that would be crazy power to say the least.

98 thru XP might be ancient, but that does not mean anything in usefulness..come on.. everyone is complaining about vista this and 7 that so much it's killing me..Trust me I understand better than most, that if you don't make something new you run the risk of losing it all.
coders need work, programmers need work. etc etc etc..
but here is an example ( I have XP and I'm running office XP...soon they released Office03, ok no problem I upgrade then....pop.. out comes vista..opps Office03 does'nt work on vista only Office07...now I have to import all my 03 doc's to 07...any new 07 doc's won't work in my XP machins using 03..now there's 7 with Office10...don't forget nothing works in 64bit..

MS has had there security cracked before..it was on TV, something about there firewall was shut down for a couple of days..

The motherboard issue....code is code right...all 11001001000111010 there doing something to the boards, I just don't know what.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 12:24:29 pm »
Nemesis, Nemesis...Nemesis.....Whew...you must be an attorney :) (i tip my hat to you)

No need to be nasty, I dislike lawyers as a class as much as the next guy.  I have no legal training at all.  I have however observed a lot of legal issues in multiple countries in respect to the computer industry over a long period of time.  Groklaw has been an excellent source in regard to U.S. cases.

(imho) I don't think the antitrust suit scares them a bit...keyword here is (again) It has happen before, it will happen again.. we as  a consumer just don't know when these things will happen, it's all just speculation to us.. but we do have time and experience on our side to know when a good deal is (not so good), Now I'm not a coder like SCM_SFHQ_XC, but I was told that older OS's like 98SE and 2000 are written without a certain code for tracking purposes..which make them a GREAT OS for hackers...I don't know.. that's just what I was told..

Antitrust terrifies them. 

They came within a hairs breath of breakup last time in the U.S..  If Al Gore had won the Presidential election I believe they would have been.  ( :police: DON'T take that as an excuse ANYONE to start a political discussion here :police:)

In the EU they faced and paid fines in excess of $1 billion USD AND were forced to change their ways and document many of their interfaces for free use by their competitors.    The only reason the fines didn't go higher is the MS caved, the EU wouldn't back down.  IE use has been dropping for a long time but the Antitrust decisions in the EU has accelerated it there. 

As far as the Google acquisition..we all saw this coming..and MS has been trying to buy the entire market since IBM and TI fell under there umbrella..why fight your competitors when you can own them? that also has been going on throughout our entire history. empires have been made and civilizations have crumbled under that kind of power. look at it this way..what if..(warren buffet, bill gates and Jay-z formed a union) now that would be crazy power to say the least.

What Google acquisition?  No way that would pass antitrust law. 

Microsoft has been pushing (a matter of public record) against Google to the DOJ in regards to Googles dominance of the online search and advertising market.  I don't think they will be successful in any legal way due to the fact I haven't seen evidence of Google using that monopoly to block competitors or extend their monopoly to other products/fields. 

98 thru XP might be ancient, but that does not mean anything in usefulness..come on.. everyone is complaining about vista this and 7 that so much it's killing me..Trust me I understand better than most, that if you don't make something new you run the risk of losing it all.
coders need work, programmers need work. etc etc etc..
but here is an example ( I have XP and I'm running office XP...soon they released Office03, ok no problem I upgrade then....pop.. out comes vista..opps Office03 does'nt work on vista only Office07...now I have to import all my 03 doc's to 07...any new 07 doc's won't work in my XP machins using 03..now there's 7 with Office10...don't forget nothing works in 64bit..

Just because it is useful does not require Microsoft to continue supporting it.  The same for any other software. 

MS has had there security cracked before..it was on TV, something about there firewall was shut down for a couple of days..

They have but not to the degree that would be required to insert a "bug" into their Windows upgrade repositories without them noticing.  That would be too big an issue and high lights the whole "Windows Monoculture" issue.

The motherboard issue....code is code right...all 11001001000111010 there doing something to the boards, I just don't know what.

Many of the features that newer motherboards have don't have support within older OSs.  Also how many people are going to buy a mother board that supports multicore chips to run Win98 (single core inherently) on it?  Would you want to write the code to support SATA and USB 3 under Win98?  Then there are issues with newer CPUs that are faster than the older software was designed for.  (As an example one AMD CPU ran certain Windows code too fast above 300mhz and MS had to patch it, it fouled timing loops). 

Unless Microsoft can be shown to have "influenced them" to not support older OSs there is no case for blaming them.  If such evidence were to be found then they should be nailed for it. 

There have been memos from Microsoft indicating that they SHOULD try to make power management only compatible with Windows as they felt their efforts shouldn't benefit their competitors (and ignored the fact that they were not the only company involved and the other companies had rights too).  I think that should be investigated to see if MS managed to do something as the memo indicated.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 12:27:49 pm »
I have a Dell laptop that runs XP Pro and every time I update windows it has serious issues with any .NET update.  I've had to reformat/reload once because of it.  What I have found is that if I install patches in order from lowest to highest, IE 1.0 --> 4.0, then I don't have any problems.  However when I let windows update install them in the order they are downloaded then I have problems, not booting right etc.  It's weird, and I don't have any explanation for it but that's what works for me.

I haven't seen anything like this since Windows Live Mail not starting up more than once per reboot or unless I go into Task Manager and kill the Live Mail processes.  This issue started ever since I put separate accounts on the machine for the kids.  Strange as he|| but at least I know how to get around it.

that actually sounds EXACTLY like what happened.  I've done what you did and it seems to be working now...so it probably is the entire order of installation.  It must mean something is wonked with windows update.

-------

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 01:00:53 pm »
OK..ok..ok...

you win.....I capitulate to your awesomeness....and knowledge.... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 01:10:24 pm »

Technically speaking though the newer OSes deserve a bashing for failing to consider legacy games and support.
When it comes to this I blame it on Bethesda if you are talking about Star Trek Legacy not MS.I haven't had any issues updating XP and I do dl all the .Net frameworks.It works fine on 2 pcs for me and I have my 7 drive.

When reinstalling do you reinstall java and adobe flash as well as an AV?They wouldn't sabotage their own OS as the last of our 98s got all the updates untill support was stopped.This is at the office.

No not ST Legacy, just legacy games and support in general, legacy being defined as all the old stuff. They did fail to consider that there are still some of those programs and games from the 90s and earlier that weren't exactly written in todays standard of coding and that people still need to be able to run those programs/games in conjunction with newer technology that might only be able to run on Windows 7 due to the functions called in the newer program. They just kinda assumed that there would be a newer or better version of the program that Windows 7 could run instead of realizing that there is only 1 version they could use which now they cant thanks to them not considering this legacy program.

that actually sounds EXACTLY like what happened.  I've done what you did and it seems to be working now...so it probably is the entire order of installation.  It must mean something is wonked with windows update.

WIndows update I could see being out of wack if something happens, given that pretty much all of the needed updates for Windows XP are released, at this point it would just be easier to download all the redistribiutals from the MS DL center that would have been on Windows update, burn them all to a CD or in the case of SP2/3 slipstream it into the Windows XP disk so there would be no need to even touch Windows update ever again. They never really made that windows update work very well, so that is a fail for MS though I dont think it would be intentional in any way, as Nemesis said above that would be a little stupid of MS.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 02:11:20 pm »
While I understand the point of supporting legacy code I know it can't be done fully and a cut off has to be put in.

If not the code of new OSs will be so full of bloat and points for errors to be fully unmanageable.  You can't write an OS that handles the same request for services in two many ways.  You have to build in a cut off point or you can't add new features because it breaks old code.

Case in point was paged memory for the clone machines.  It was the only way to get the extra memory on the 8 bit bus.  But in order to not break old code this crap system of memory was used even after the CPU's were able to directly access the memory above 640k.  Then you added the endian problem to data when you started to go to the 32bit addressing (could have had some at the 16 bit addresses).

So even tho I want old games to run, I am fine with new OSs cutting off the legacy support at a specific ponit.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 06:42:23 pm »

No not ST Legacy, just legacy games and support in general, legacy being defined as all the old stuff. They did fail to consider that there are still some of those programs and games from the 90s and earlier that weren't exactly written in todays standard of coding and that people still need to be able to run those programs/games in conjunction with newer technology that might only be able to run on Windows 7 due to the functions called in the newer program. They just kinda assumed that there would be a newer or better version of the program that Windows 7 could run instead of realizing that there is only 1 version they could use which now they cant thanks to them not considering this legacy program.
I would tend to think this is up to the developers or publishers of who made the games or older software.I agree with what Nemesis is saying about all this.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 08:18:03 am »

Glad that helped.  If you ever think about it and have the time, try to document the issue.  I'm trying to narrow it down but haven't had much luck.  Thanks.