Topic: Exellent Email clients??  (Read 1866 times)

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
Exellent Email clients??
« on: March 22, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »
After being user of opera 6.05 client for more then 10 years i am forced to get me  a new one.
TO make it short i don't like the new opera guI for mail.so i was wondering  who has experience and can eventually point me to another cool one. excluding  everything ms related.
I got this list which makes decision not easier.

Alpine    
BlitzMail
Claws Mail    
Cone    
Courier
eM Client    
Elm    
Eudora    
Eureka Email
FirstClass    
GNUMail
GroupWise    
i.Scribe / InScribe    
IBM Lotus Notes    
US$107, includes 1 yr phone support
IncrediMail    
KMail    
Microsoft Office Outlook
Part of Microsoft Office, US$109 stand-alone    
Mozilla Mail & Newsgroups    
Mozilla Thunderbird    
Mulberry    
Mutt    
Netscape Messenger    
Netscape Messenger 9       
Novell Evolution    
Opera Mail    
Outlook Express    
Pegasus
Pine    
Pocomail    
Postbox    
RoundCube    
SeaMonkey Mail & News
Sylpheed    
Spicebird    
SquirrelMail    
The Bat!    
US$45    
Turnpike    
Windows Live Mail    
Windows Mail
Yahoo M
YAM    
Zimbra
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Exellent Email clients??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 06:10:50 pm »
I've been a Thunderbird user for some time now. I like how it behaves how I expect it to and does what it is told. I like being able to set all plain text and full headers all the time. I like its IMAP setup and how it works with gmail.

It is pretty plain looking but it behaves like a traditional email client and does not screw everything up by trying to make things "easier" for you.

I have not used much else other than web interfaces lately. I was an Outlook express user until they kept moving the plain text setting with every version I was never sure if the setting was still available. It has been in the same place in Thunderbird for ages now.

Thunderbird is to Outlook Express now, as KDE is to gnome. Know what I mean?

I don't like the look of the Windows Mail client from what I have seen. Far too "easy" and "friendly" and shiny and just begging for vulnerabilities... But to be fair, I have not really explored it at all - you might be able to set it to all plain text and full headers, but I doubt it.

I guess the answer to your question is what are you looking for? A traditional email cllient of the last twenty years? Or a new all web 2.Oy, iGottahavitpod, shiny rounded friendly pastel coloured - exploit me - pukefest? (lol, I guess my bias is not too obvious... ;))

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:15:54 pm »
thunderbird (thunderchicken anyone?) here as well. love it.
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:04:16 pm »
Bonk after reading your post i was sold, i think i will  try Thunderbird for the exact reasons you are mentioning.I just must be able to see the header  in plain text and the whole mail as source etc. :coolsmiley:

Also that people are always trying to reinvent the wheel ,just to give their live a purpose is something i find courteously said a pain in the A.

Stoney your post came right in between  writing and posting this,thanks for the feedback you added  another reason for Thunderbird. :)

NO new all web 2.Oy, iGottahavitpod, shiny rounded friendly pastel coloured - exploit me - pukefest for me!
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:43 pm »
I'm also a Thunderbird user.  I like how it is easy to configure it to grab your E-Mail from G-Mail or a standard ISP account (I have two of each) and apply filters as needed to get rid of spam and sort the mail from known sources.

I also like that I have been able (not exactly easily) to migrate my full archives and settings between machines and even from Windows to Linux and back. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 02:00:15 am »
I gave Thunderbird a try but didn't like it for some reason.I like MS Office Outlook as it keeps everything organized even when I have up coming appointments and reminders.I will always be a user of MS Office Outlook.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:32:30 am »
Thunderbird update: It has gone the way of Firefox.

I started my Thunderbird install today, everything is gone. Everything. Accounts, folders messages... there is nothing left.

Where did it go? No update, no explanation nothing... just nothing.

Thunderbird is now officially dead.

I guess I'll see where Eudora and Pegasus are these days.

It is awful what is happening to Mozilla products. They used to work. Of course my assumption is that the projects have been sabotaged. How else could products that were excellent for years die suddenly once they have a significant market share... OSS it too easy to sabotage. There needs to be protections against it.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:07:04 am »
I managed to restore my thunderbird install after that... but it updated today... now it crashes on start. That's it for thunderbird for me. Never again.

Mozilla has had it. They have been destroyed. Sad.

We need to prevent the same thing from happening to the chromium codebase ASAP. Contributors should be locked down immediately.

I dislike webmail, I'd rather use a real pop/smtp/imap client but there are none that are satisfactory any longer. Maybe someone will write a new one. An email program that just does mail nice and simple nothing else... one that is intended for users who knwo what they are doing...just like it was 1992 again... that is what we need.

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »
I was able to get my old opera client running again,YOu know the one i uploaded to the  ftp site.
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 07:00:51 pm »
I have to admit that I moved to gmail quite some time ago from Thunderbird. I like how I don't automatically download any attachments until I tell it to. I also like how back and forth correspondence are gathered into one "conversation" instead of separate emails. it makes things easier to read. So, no help on email clients from me.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:25:16 pm »
That's the thing. I loved how Thunderbird worked with imap gmail. Now I'm stuck with webmail. Ugh.

I might take a look at some older ones, but unmaintained products... I think I'll have to write it myself. I have a few things to do first though. ;)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:57:14 pm »
Yeah Bonk, I would say you might have anough on your plate to last a year or two.
But then again. Another side project is always fun to have.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.