Topic: =/\= wow, just wow. twins suns and possibly no night for a while at least  (Read 1821 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
it would be pretty wild, but it also might not happent for a million years...

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
oops, forgot the link

actually, I found a better link than the one I had intended to post. While this is still exciting and interesting news, the fact that it's a) being exaggerated, and b) being tied to nonsense about 2012, makes my blood pressure go up.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/01/21/betelgeuse-and-2012/

when it goes, we'll have a not-quite front-row seat. Which is pretty much how you'd want to view a supernova ;)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
i was severely disappointed with the 2012 connotation. it makes my science based training brain boil as well. but what are you going to do. some of the research i have looked into in the last couple years seems to indicate betelgeuse going nova sooner rather than later. personally i hope it is  sooner but after 2012...
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
The thought its possable is sad, many religions have predicted it so in turn they will go nutts and kill others off. 2010 the movie ending might be cool but  :point:  :rules: It will be all good  :)
Time for life!

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
The thought its possable is sad, many religions have predicted it so in turn they will go nutts and kill others off.

What religions are these?  The 2012 end of the world comes from the fact that that's supposedly the end of the Mayan claender.  The thing is, the calender is cyclical, so rather than ending, it starts anew, in an event that's the Mayan equivalent of a new Millennium.