Topic: =/\= nasa finds habital zone planet family, russia loses, then finds satellite  (Read 2875 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
interesting find by the kepler. a family of planets all in the habital zone!!! exciting to  say the least.

article here: http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/nasa-kepler-finds-family-habitable-earth-size

so in a weird twist of fate, russia has been involved in a strange space sitcom of sorts. they launched a satellite and lost it. then found it again. the problem is that it is in the wrong orbit. strange.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/02/russia-satellite-idUSLDE71107V20110202
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
There's so much junk in orbit now, I'm not really surprised at someone losing a satellite.

Habitable planets? Where do I sign up? Oh, you mean we have to build the ship ourselves? Frey, we have something to add to our to do list: build interstellar craft.  ;D

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
The craft will need FTL engines.  ;D
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
Genetically engineer a human subspecies for the journey and one for the destination. I have never had any objections to it. FTL travel is not very likely to ever happen. But genetics and biology have about another 200 or so years to go before that is really feasible, so I won't get to go. But without this kind of approach no one ever will.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
I agree with Bonk about FTL, but maybe not about genetic manipulation to endure the long flight.  I'm not sure how much animals age when they hybernate.  It may be possible to induce the same kind of hybernation in human beings, and allow them to "sleep" for hundreds of years.  If a person did not age, living in an unconsious state at 3 degrees C, then it would just be a matter of keeping the spacecraft opperational until the crew is revived.

Where genetic modifacation would be required would be if we actually tried to colonize a planet with a biosphere.  This would require an understanding of genetics at couple levels of magnitude than we currently understand.  First, I have to explain why it is necessary:

Differences in gravity, atmospheric pressure, and the usual differences in planetary bodies would be miniscule compared to the differences in biological chemistry.  Every biological process on this world is inter-related with just about every other biological process.  Whether you dine on a piece of cow, or leaf of spinach, you are involved in a very ancient chemical relationship, just as your body provides a home to a vast number of different species.

Organic chemistry is very complex.  There are a great many ways of doing the same thing.  Subtle differences between compound constitute the difference between food, inert compounds, and poisons.  This is not something like a human immune system would not be able to handle alien germs.  Alien viruses are not likely to corrupt our DNA, but the very molecules they are made of are likely to be toxic, along with every bit of alien life and organic residue.

Since biology would not be compatable, either the biosphere of a planet would have to be stripped and reseeded, or humans would have to be adapted.  Here, on Earth, most plants are made up of left handed molecules, while animals are made up of right hand molecules.  This is the very deep level of chemistry that would have to be examined.  To make a human out of alien chemistry would be nearly as extrodinary as life itself.

In any case, a lot of new technology would have to be created merely to understand what is out there.  Building a robot to get a closer look at a distant world is at the outer edge of our technology.  The impoverishment of Western governments will not allow the expendature on such a project.  Perhaps the Chinese, with their totalitarian government, will do something for pure science and the future of mankind, but it's not bloody likely.

Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
 :goodpost:

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
i have a way to keep the crew's mind safely in hibernation those long periods. it involves organic chemistry and a molecule that we already produce in the pineal gland and we have receptors for it naturally. it is a molecule that is found all over the world in endless plant species and produces our dreams. it is an alkaloid by the name of dimethyltryptamine or DMT. i believe that the spiritual and "out of body" like state the molecule produces could help people in cryo-sleep retain mental acuity and mental health over the long periods...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
i have a way to keep the crew's mind safely in hibernation those long periods. it involves organic chemistry and a molecule that we already produce in the pineal gland and we have receptors for it naturally. it is a molecule that is found all over the world in endless plant species and produces our dreams. it is an alkaloid by the name of dimethyltryptamine or DMT. i believe that the spiritual and "out of body" like state the molecule produces could help people in cryo-sleep retain mental acuity and mental health over the long periods...

Maybe, I am not sure of the long term medicinal level exposure to it tho.  I know there is no testing on long, long term use of it.  That long of use might shut down the bodies natural production producing people addicted for normal function.

I did have a Shaman joke on having you bring this up, but will not do that beyond this point here.  Professional nod from a Shaman of a different lineage.  IIRC on this.  ;)
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
oh? now i am curious. i have a new project in the works that will utilize my shamanism and i am always curious to hear about other shamans. i hope someday to visit mongolia, the only country where shamanism is the official religion of the country. what is your shamanism history if i may ask? always up for a good shaman joke. pm if you wish :D

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Here, on Earth, most plants are made up of left handed molecules, while animals are made up of right hand molecules. 

????
My understanding is that one of the mysteries of life is why Earthly life of all forms is based on left handed molecules.  Where did you get this idea of a difference between plants and animals that way?
????
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."