Topic: -/\- Comet: Temple take 2  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
-/\- Comet: Temple take 2
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:21:31 am »
http://stardustnext.jpl.nasa.gov/

On January 15, 2006, the Stardust spacecraft completed one history-making mission and began another. Returning from a rendezvous with Comet Wild 2, the spacecraft approached Earth and jettisoned the capsule containing particles collected directly from the comet, as well as interstellar dust medium. The capsule landed safely and on-target southwest of Salt Lake City, Utah, completing the world's first sample return from a comet.

Now this spacecraft is on a new record-setting mission: a visit to Comet Tempel 1. Comet Tempel 1 was the comet previously targeted by the Deep Impact mission, making Stardust-NExT the first-ever follow-up mission to a comet.

As of about 10 p.m. PST , NASA's Stardust spacecraft has turned to point its high-gain antenna at Earth. It is expected to beam back the first images of Tempel 1 at around midnight PST (3 a.m. EST), Feb. 15. Check back for the first images.

stephen
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:57:41 pm by stoneyface_XC »
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: -/\_ Comet: Temple take 2
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:57:14 pm »
i can't wait to see how this develops! great find sirgod! hope you are well bro!
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: -/\- Comet: Temple take 2
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:06:52 pm »
Doing good man, Yeah , I ran across this, and you where the first person I thought of man.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War