Topic: Lasers built with living cells  (Read 1100 times)

Offline drb

• Lt. Junior Grade
Lasers built with living cells
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:10:43 am »
Hoi Folks,

Lasers built with living cells
CBC News
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 3:47 PM ET
Last Updated: Jun 13, 2011 3:47 PM ET
Read 45 comments45

A living, human cell has been used as the key component in the first ever biological laser.

"What was most surprising to me is that the cells remain alive," said Malte Gather, one of the two researchers who created the laser, in an interview Monday.

He said the discovery could lead to the development of "self-healing" lasers that can repair themselves and biocompatible lasers that can be put inside the human body for use in photodynamic therapy — a treatment for diseases such as cancer that targets certain cells with a light sensitive drug, and then hits them with a light source such as a laser.The results were published online Sunday in Nature Photonics.

A laser amplifies waves of light in such a way that they all cooperate with each other and travel in the same direction, making them far more powerful and precise than regular light sources.

A key component of a laser is an "optical gain material" — the material used to boost the light. Up until now, laser light has been amplified using inorganic materials such as semiconductors or carbon dioxide.

But a human embryonic kidney cell genetically modified to produce a green, fluorescent protein (GFP) — a dye that originally came from jellyfish — can also be used as an optical gain material, Gather discovered, along with Seok Hyun Yun, both physicists at the Wellman Center for Photomedicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital.

To make a laser, the cell is placed in a laser cavity — the space between two mirrors.

The cell is hit with a blue laser, which "charges" the fluorescent protein, getting it ready to emit green light. Light bounces back and forth between the two mirrors, getting amplified every time it passes between the mirrors. Once the light is amplified to a certain threshold, a small amount can pass out one of the mirrors as a laser pulse.

Gather said he created the laser because he was curious whether there was a fundamental reason why laser light doesn't occur in nature or if there was a way to create a laser system using biological substances or living things.

Initially, he was afraid the cell itself would scatter too much light. It turned out the spherical cell actually reduced scattering.
Cell focuses light

"The sphere acts as a lens and it kind of focuses the light," Gather said.

Usually dyes such as GFP stop fluorescing after they've been exposed to light for some time, making them unsuitable for lasers. But Gather said living cells have the advantage of being able to make more of the protein to replace the molecules that have been deactivated.

They are also biocompatible, which means they may be used in the future to build lasers that can be placed inside the human body for use in photodynamic therapy. That isn't feasible now because the mirrors are not biocompatible, Gather acknowledged. But he is currently working on making the mirrors smaller so they will fit inside the cell itself.

"The bigger challenge is probably to get FDA approval," he added.

Link to full article
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/06/13/science-living-laser-gather.html

Take care,

drb

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Lasers built with living cells
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:11:44 am »
That is pretty cool.  8) "Naturally" sourced dye lasers. Gotta watch those "Nature __"  'journals' though. They're a bit like comparing the Enquirer to The Times.

Odd that he went right to genetically modified human cells though. (Embryonic?! I guess since it is not a stem cell but already differentiated it is OK then? legislators have no idea.)  I suppose the idea is to allow for injection into humans ultimately as described. I would have first went to bacteria, many of which are naturally extremely fluorescent. Think boogers.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:51:14 am by Bonk XC »

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
Re: Lasers built with living cells
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:01:11 pm »
The lasers I deal with are primarily either standards, used to calibrate wavelengths on optical spectrum analyzers (which I use to calibrate optical sources), (630 and 1600 nm) or communication wavelengths (640, 850, 980, 1305 and 1550 nm) used for calibrating optical power meters..I also calibrate optical time domain reflectometers (used to measure distances and/or breaks in the fiber)...

Interesting though...we don't use much visible stuff...

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul