Topic: Torpedoes and phasers...  (Read 6929 times)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Torpedoes and phasers...
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:57:20 am »
Been having an interesting debate with someone over on DA over phasers and torpedoes from TOS and on, where this individual states that torpedoes in TOS had no physical form and were pure energy, therefore the ship would have unlimited photon torpedoes, and that phasers have a proximity feature, or there are proximity phasers.

Thoughts anyone?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
Re: Torpedoes and phasers...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:45:53 am »
Doubtful they would, they would look more like energy due to graphics in those days but Fed ships have always had something to physically lob at the enemy and never have relied on just energy weapons for defense
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:00:15 am »
That's the same way I feel as well.  As for the proximity phasers, I did find a reference to them in the episode Balance Of Terror.

Regardless, perhaps linking everyone to the actual conversation might also help people in their opinions and thoughts?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:15:36 am »
Matter and antimatter in a magnetic bottle have a definite physical form.

Balance of Terror was written before there was any consistency in these things...so I would not put much stock in "proximity phasers".
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:41:40 am »
TOS offten did these kind of things. I don't think they thought it out that far. SFB took the thought that photons are energy weps but then again they tret plasmatorps like physical missles too :D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:47:59 am »
I'm of the opinion that Photorps are energy weapons. What we see loaded into the torpedo bay are drones - which is also what the klinks have been using. Fitting real canon to my canon is all ^_^
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:30:43 am »
Well the TNG Technical Manual (which was basically canon as far as the writers of that series were concerned), as written by Michael Okuda, stated very clearly they were physical projectiles with a matter/antimatter warhead. And while it is retconning abit to apply that to TOS, to say they were something else would mean the weapon would have to undergo a drastic change between the TOS and TNG eras. We also clearly see physical torpedoes in the TMP era (which are described as such in dialogue and even written on the torpedo itself).

Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:00:56 am »
Eh, you know my willingness to wave canon. ^_^
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:02:20 am »
Enterprise supports 762's theorum even more, as much as I hate to reference that series.

"Proximity" phasers in TOS were just phaser banks set on proximity mode - IE dedicated to only shooting at anything that came within a specific radius. That doesn't mean they are banks dedicated to JUST that. :)

Plasma torpedoes are simply plasma held within a field - now how they get them to track and move towards a target I'll never know (unless they had, indeed, some physical part to them that allowed such.

Bottom line is, TOS DID have a "bible" for consistancy - but they preferred to not define such things to a fanboys degree to allow future creativity and plots.

Give "The making of Star Trek the TV Show" a read sometime - it's amazing how much thought and what not they put into the "little" things, while truly not saying much of anything at all ;).

Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:02:40 am »

This scares me.

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:36:16 am »

This scares me.

Regards,

Why? its just my own "private" interpretation of the 'verse - i keep it separate from traditional canon.
Robinomicon

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 11:19:01 am »
Humans also like physical things, both in the present and future. Even the day police have lasers instead of guns, they'll probably still have that same old stick they carry today too, just as good measure. Same hold, I'd doubt people would be willing not to have a physical weapon for defense/offense, thus physical torpedos with energy phasers makes a fed ship.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 11:24:08 am »
Proximity phasers suffered from a poorly thought out visual effect.  In BoT, Stiles described it as blanketing the target.  Some sort of wide width beam would have been more appropriate.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 02:47:23 pm »
I'm of the opinion that Photorps are energy weapons. What we see loaded into the torpedo bay are drones - which is also what the klinks have been using. Fitting real canon to my canon is all ^_^
I see them as non energy weapons much like that of the modern torpedo on a submarine.They don't use energy only fuel to propel it to its target and nothing can jam it like ecm.This is the way I see photons used in Star Trek.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 04:23:17 pm »
Proximity phasers suffered from a poorly thought out visual effect.  In BoT, Stiles described it as blanketing the target.  Some sort of wide width beam would have been more appropriate.

Well, problem with that is it wouldn't do squat. Point defense is, by design, just that - point and shoot defense. Turretting (like in BSG) is a completely different concept, and basically relies upon scattershot to "fill up the sky" with metallic debris that essentially would shred incoming missiles / drones and the like. It's truly like AMD in SFB :). Point defense phasers essentially (according to geek-tech) have a very narrow quantified targeting band and range. If it's X and it's within X meters, point defense phasers (still starship phasers, phaser 3, 2 or 1 ;) ) fire at incoming ordanence and torpedoes, hopefully until they die.

Blanketing I can see in so much as it's a steady phaser beam (until the emitter shorts or the capacitor runs out) thats dedicated to maintaining it's fire until the object is done. Have only one object, then all your PDP's would fire on it, steady beams, converging until the object is destroyed or it hits the ship.

"Wide beam" just doesn't work on starships, however, as the dispersal in space would make the phaser shot useless. That's why they just didn't "Paint" an entire area with blanketing fire when a ship cloaked, but "stabbed" in the dark. If you saw a hit, then VIOLA targetting computer does it's impression of Sulu in ST6 and we go home happy. Any starship phaser on a "wide" setting would effectively be dumping energy into space, lol.

Nice discussion though :D

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 04:26:49 pm »
"Blanketing" makes me think of suppressive fire. Pulse-mode X-phasers from Module X1R anyone? Not really related, but wanted to chime in again with that ><
Robinomicon

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 04:30:07 pm »
Right, but you can't really do "suppressive fire" with starship phasers. I mean, I guess you could just shoot out within a certain field or angle but you'd have too.... beam weapons just are not made to truly "blanket". Projectile weapons sure, but beam weapons...I dunno !!!!

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 04:55:32 pm »
Right, but you can't really do "suppressive fire" with starship phasers. I mean, I guess you could just shoot out within a certain field or angle but you'd have too.... beam weapons just are not made to truly "blanket". Projectile weapons sure, but beam weapons...I dunno !!!!

No, you're right. It's just what the terminology sprung to mind.
Robinomicon

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 06:24:12 pm »

Regards,

Actually, I can see a way to do it, as I have done it with small scale Lasers, and managed to keep the power up. That being said, Star ships are not designed for the placement of such a weapon. 

For example using a large scale spring like you would find in a pocket watch ie.  @  One could affix a laser to it, that spins around and back, without loosing power. And yes, I use this for area Denial but that is for another topic.

I just don't see where something like this could be mounted on a starship, without having to move the ship itself via Pitch and Yaw in order to get a hit. in other words, It would just rotate at the bottom of say the saucer section, but if you moved the device any , it would hit your own hull.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 06:48:35 pm »
Here's the link to the discussion. 

http://daihak.deviantart.com/#/d3np0ds

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 08:17:52 pm »

I have always thought of them in a different way.  Instead of trying to target the ship with a straight in attack (like a bullet) they try and pass the beam over the area of space likely holding the ship (sweep the beam sideways like a spotlight trying to spot an escaping prisoner), it wouldn't do full damage but some of the beam might hit the target.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 06:44:49 pm »
What about proximity disruptors and plasma torps?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 06:56:31 pm »
What about proximity disruptors and plasma torps?

As the disruptor is a beam weapon it should work like the phaser.  Plasma torps don`t seem like they should have a proximity mode, have they ever been shown as doing so?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline EagleEye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 08:00:44 pm »
It would be nice to see the TV show's and movies based on SFB/SFC weapons. Would make for more interesting fight imo.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 08:22:43 pm »
It would be nice to see the TV show's and movies based on SFB/SFC weapons. Would make for more interesting fight imo.

quoted for truth...
Robinomicon

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 10:25:51 pm »

I would tend to disagree.  Both Trek canon, and SFB are optimized for their particular medium.  I would prefer to watch the real Star Trek on television, and the big screen, while playing games based on SFB.  And I definitely don't want the canon feds to start naming ships after kluker war criminals like the SFB feds do.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 10:35:56 pm »
A rough draft from the entry on Phasers that I'm writing for a little project I have going.  (The Time frame for the excerpt is 2400)

Phasers have been a part of the Federation Arsenal since it's founding, and while the Phasers of today (Marks 10, 11, and 12, along with the prototype for the Mark 13) bear some resemblance to the Phasers of the 23rd and 22nd Century, to say they're the same as those early Phasers would be dead wrong.  While technically, the Phaser was invented just prior to the launch of the Baton Rouge class Starship, for the sake of completeness we in Starfleet Engineering have labeled those Phasers as Phaser Mark 3.  Assigning the term (retroactively) to the two models of Phase Cannons in use by Earth and Federation Forces leading up to and during the Romulan War.  As the Phaser evolved, we'll note interesting uses, and some strange derivations of it.

The Phaser 1 (Phase Cannons) came into general use just prior to the launch of the NX class vessels.  These short lived cruisers were equipped with the Phaser 1 for their entire 15 year life.  The Phaser 2 was brought into service for the Daedalus Class Battle Cruiser's Romulan War refit.  These improved Phase Cannons were the primary punch for a number of different Starships, while Phaser 1s were still used for defensive purposes.  When the Federation mothballed their racial fleets, these Phase Cannons were the primary weapons.  Phasers were invented during the mothballing and development of the Federation fleet.  The Phaser 4 was developed for the Constitution class's first major refit.

Proximity Phasers:  The Phaser 3 and Phaser 4s were capable of firing a Proximity burst.  Not too dissimilar from proximity fused Torpedoes, the Phaser energy is encased in a magnetic field that is specially generated to de-stabilize when it gets near a metallic mass.  The diffusion of energy made this a very inefficient weapon mode, especially against shielded targets whose shield thresholds are high enough to shrug off that energy with no loss of integrity. However it was very effective against unshielded, and cloaked targets.  This firing mode was rendered completely ineffective by two advancements.  The first was the development of the 4th generation of Cloaking Devices by the Romulans, that cloak managed to hide their ships from all forms of sensors, making the depth charge firing mode useless.  The second was the development of improved targeting and tracking systems that accompanied the Mark 5 Phaser, which made it unnecessary for use against starfighters.  Certain aspects of Proximity Phasers would crop up again with the Phaser Cannons.

The Phaser Mark 5 was developed to coincide with the development of the X refit for the Constitution class Heavy Cruisers, taking full advantage of the additional power from the new engines.  This represented the biggest jump in firepower from any model Phaser to the next.  The Phaser Mark 6 debuted in time to be installed on the Excelsior II class Battle Cruisers, and the Phaser 7 was developed in response to the events that led up to the Tomed Incident.  The Phaser 7 was the last fixed emplacement Phaser, although future models would be downgraded to a fixed emplacement to keep older vessels up to date.

Phaser Cannons:  In response to the Klingons developing their burst firing Disruptor Cannons, Starfleet built these as an experiment.  In a classic example that is repeated throughout history, Perception was more real than reality.  The power of the Phaser Cannons was never up to par with their standard counterparts, sometimes having as much as an 15% loss in damage output.  But it was hard to get their first reported use out of the public mind.  The Phaser Cannons were being prototyped on the USS Miranda's shakedown cruise.  During the shakedown, the crew reported a 32% power reduction (adjustments would be made following the incident to bring the Mark 5-c up to 89% of the Mark 5) between the Mark 5-c Phasers, and the Mark 5 Phasers.  Unknown to the crew of the Miranda at the time, their shakedown cruise was being watched by the IKV Hegh'Moh.  The Hegh'Moh was on a mission to test their new Cloaking Device against Federation border sensors.  They penetrated without being detected and stumbled upon the Miranda's shakedown.  The Hegh'Moh was under strict orders to not engage, and to withdraw upon detection.  The release of documents from the Klingon Empire sheds a little more light on this incident.  Apparently the orders were worded as such, that if fired on first, the Hegh'Moh was free to return fire at the Captain's discretion.  The High Council believed, as discovered in their after action report, that any Federation Captain, if they discovered them, would ask at least one "naive, annoying and rhetorical" question before opening fire, and as such they felt that adding the words, "if fired on, you may respond in kind", would assuage the Captain of any sting the orders to not engage under any other circumstances may have provided, but not provoke an interstellar incident.  The Hegh'Moh remained on station observing the Miranda, but they were not as hidden as they thought.  A junior lieutenant noticed the Hegh'Moh while calibrating the Miranda's new sensors.  She re-calibrated her sensors three times and ran a diagnostic twice, when she reported her findings to the Captain, they all thought it was something curious about their sensors, and fired one of their six Photon Torpedoes to confirm that it was indeed a sensor problem, when the Torpedo struck a K't'inga class Battlecruiser, everyone involved was shocked, then the Hegh'Moh returned fire.  During the battle, the Hegh'Moh had gained the upper hand in large part because the Miranda had only five Torpedoes left.  With the Miranda's shields went down, she had no choice but to use every weapon at her disposal, including the balky Phaser Cannons.  When the Phaser Cannons opened up on the Hegh'Moh for the first time, a portion of it's firepower passed directly through Klingon's shields.  Shocked, and not wanting to risk losing their ship, the Klingons cloaked and left the area.  In hindsight, the whole incident might well have been comical, if not for the loss of 32 people on the Miranda and 14 on the Hegh'Moh.  But the perception of the Phaser Cannons being the new super weapon took hold in the Federation Council, which ordered as many ships as possible to be outfitted with these new weapons.  Starfleet Engineers advised against it, and did their best to keep the weaker Phaser Cannons from being deployed through out the fleet.  After the development of Phaser Arrays with the Mark 8, Starfleet Engineers thought that they had finally put the overrated Phaser Cannons to bed once and for all.

The debut of the Ambassador Class Heavy Cruiser also marked the next big jump forward in Phaser technology since the Phaser 5.  The Phaser 8 brought with them an Array of Phaser Emitters, that increased the firepower of one shot with a much wider firing arc.  What 3 Phaser Mark 7s covered, it only took one Mark 8.  These Phasers weren't more powerful because of any individual performance increase, but because they clustered 3 to 5 emitters into one array and fired all of the emitters in one concentrated beam.  During the Cardassian War the Mark 9s were rolled out, but their major improvement was an improved cooling system, that allowed the Phasers to fire more quickly than the Mark 8s.  The Phaser 10 debuted with the Galaxy Class Starship, but were quickly uprated to Phaser 11s after the Wolf 359 incident.  As with the 8 to 9 upgrade, the 10 to 11 upgrade saw a marginal increase in firepower, but also the ability to rapidly change resonance frequencies to better adapt to Borg Shields, without having to wait until the ship's shields were down because the quickly shifting shield frequencies would stop the beam and damage the firing ship.

Pulse Phasers:  Also in response to the Wolf 359 incident, the old Phaser Cannons were brought back up to the SCE.  The SCE quickly brought the old Cannons up to Mark 11 specs, but were hesitant to order a fleet wide refit because the Mark 11-p lost the ability to arrange their emitters into an array.  They found a perfect test subject in the USS Defiant, a ship highly maneuverable (something almost all Federation Ships were lacking at this point), and still in the early stages of its construction.  The Defiant performed so well in the Klingon-Cardassion War II, and the early Dominion encounters, that more ships were built, and the Mark 12-p was authorized along with the standard Mark 12s.

The current Mark 12 Phasers are a by-product of the Dominion War.  In the build up for the war, it was determined that a fleet wide refit was in order to counter the power of the Dominion Polaron based weapons, and the Mark 12s came into production mere weeks before the outbreak of the war.  As of this writing a new Phaser being developed is the Mark 13, it is still in the early prototype phase, with Engineers having trouble adapting the Mark 13 for use in an array setup.

Take from it what you will, I just thought I'd share it.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 10:41:38 pm »
A rough draft from the entry on Phasers that I'm writing for a little project I have going.  (The Time frame for the excerpt is 2400)

Phasers have been a part of the Federation Arsenal since it's founding, and while the Phasers of today (Marks 10, 11, and 12, along with the prototype for the Mark 13) bear some resemblance to the Phasers of the 23rd and 22nd Century, to say they're the same as those early Phasers would be dead wrong.  While technically, the Phaser was invented just prior to the launch of the Baton Rouge class Starship, for the sake of completeness we in Starfleet Engineering have labeled those Phasers as Phaser Mark 3.  Assigning the term (retroactively) to the two models of Phase Cannons in use by Earth and Federation Forces leading up to and during the Romulan War.  As the Phaser evolved, we'll note interesting uses, and some strange derivations of it.

The Phaser 1 (Phase Cannons) came into general use just prior to the launch of the NX class vessels.  These short lived cruisers were equipped with the Phaser 1 for their entire 15 year life.  The Phaser 2 was brought into service for the Daedalus Class Battle Cruiser's Romulan War refit.  These improved Phase Cannons were the primary punch for a number of different Starships, while Phaser 1s were still used for defensive purposes.  When the Federation mothballed their racial fleets, these Phase Cannons were the primary weapons.  Phasers were invented during the mothballing and development of the Federation fleet.  The Phaser 4 was developed for the Constitution class's first major refit.

Proximity Phasers:  The Phaser 3 and Phaser 4s were capable of firing a Proximity burst.  Not too dissimilar from proximity fused Torpedoes, the Phaser energy is encased in a magnetic field that is specially generated to de-stabilize when it gets near a metallic mass.  The diffusion of energy made this a very inefficient weapon mode, especially against shielded targets whose shield thresholds are high enough to shrug off that energy with no loss of integrity. However it was very effective against unshielded, and cloaked targets.  This firing mode was rendered completely ineffective by two advancements.  The first was the development of the 4th generation of Cloaking Devices by the Romulans, that cloak managed to hide their ships from all forms of sensors, making the depth charge firing mode useless.  The second was the development of improved targeting and tracking systems that accompanied the Mark 5 Phaser, which made it unnecessary for use against starfighters.  Certain aspects of Proximity Phasers would crop up again with the Phaser Cannons.

The Phaser Mark 5 was developed to coincide with the development of the X refit for the Constitution class Heavy Cruisers, taking full advantage of the additional power from the new engines.  This represented the biggest jump in firepower from any model Phaser to the next.  The Phaser Mark 6 debuted in time to be installed on the Excelsior II class Battle Cruisers, and the Phaser 7 was developed in response to the events that led up to the Tomed Incident.  The Phaser 7 was the last fixed emplacement Phaser, although future models would be downgraded to a fixed emplacement to keep older vessels up to date.

Phaser Cannons:  In response to the Klingons developing their burst firing Disruptor Cannons, Starfleet built these as an experiment.  In a classic example that is repeated throughout history, Perception was more real than reality.  The power of the Phaser Cannons was never up to par with their standard counterparts, sometimes having as much as an 15% loss in damage output.  But it was hard to get their first reported use out of the public mind.  The Phaser Cannons were being prototyped on the USS Miranda's shakedown cruise.  During the shakedown, the crew reported a 32% power reduction (adjustments would be made following the incident to bring the Mark 5-c up to 89% of the Mark 5) between the Mark 5-c Phasers, and the Mark 5 Phasers.  Unknown to the crew of the Miranda at the time, their shakedown cruise was being watched by the IKV Hegh'Moh.  The Hegh'Moh was on a mission to test their new Cloaking Device against Federation border sensors.  They penetrated without being detected and stumbled upon the Miranda's shakedown.  The Hegh'Moh was under strict orders to not engage, and to withdraw upon detection.  The release of documents from the Klingon Empire sheds a little more light on this incident.  Apparently the orders were worded as such, that if fired on first, the Hegh'Moh was free to return fire at the Captain's discretion.  The High Council believed, as discovered in their after action report, that any Federation Captain, if they discovered them, would ask at least one "naive, annoying and rhetorical" question before opening fire, and as such they felt that adding the words, "if fired on, you may respond in kind", would assuage the Captain of any sting the orders to not engage under any other circumstances may have provided, but not provoke an interstellar incident.  The Hegh'Moh remained on station observing the Miranda, but they were not as hidden as they thought.  A junior lieutenant noticed the Hegh'Moh while calibrating the Miranda's new sensors.  She re-calibrated her sensors three times and ran a diagnostic twice, when she reported her findings to the Captain, they all thought it was something curious about their sensors, and fired one of their six Photon Torpedoes to confirm that it was indeed a sensor problem, when the Torpedo struck a K't'inga class Battlecruiser, everyone involved was shocked, then the Hegh'Moh returned fire.  During the battle, the Hegh'Moh had gained the upper hand in large part because the Miranda had only five Torpedoes left.  With the Miranda's shields went down, she had no choice but to use every weapon at her disposal, including the balky Phaser Cannons.  When the Phaser Cannons opened up on the Hegh'Moh for the first time, a portion of it's firepower passed directly through Klingon's shields.  Shocked, and not wanting to risk losing their ship, the Klingons cloaked and left the area.  In hindsight, the whole incident might well have been comical, if not for the loss of 32 people on the Miranda and 14 on the Hegh'Moh.  But the perception of the Phaser Cannons being the new super weapon took hold in the Federation Council, which ordered as many ships as possible to be outfitted with these new weapons.  Starfleet Engineers advised against it, and did their best to keep the weaker Phaser Cannons from being deployed through out the fleet.  After the development of Phaser Arrays with the Mark 8, Starfleet Engineers thought that they had finally put the overrated Phaser Cannons to bed once and for all.

The debut of the Ambassador Class Heavy Cruiser also marked the next big jump forward in Phaser technology since the Phaser 5.  The Phaser 8 brought with them an Array of Phaser Emitters, that increased the firepower of one shot with a much wider firing arc.  What 3 Phaser Mark 7s covered, it only took one Mark 8.  These Phasers weren't more powerful because of any individual performance increase, but because they clustered 3 to 5 emitters into one array and fired all of the emitters in one concentrated beam.  During the Cardassian War the Mark 9s were rolled out, but their major improvement was an improved cooling system, that allowed the Phasers to fire more quickly than the Mark 8s.  The Phaser 10 debuted with the Galaxy Class Starship, but were quickly uprated to Phaser 11s after the Wolf 359 incident.  As with the 8 to 9 upgrade, the 10 to 11 upgrade saw a marginal increase in firepower, but also the ability to rapidly change resonance frequencies to better adapt to Borg Shields, without having to wait until the ship's shields were down because the quickly shifting shield frequencies would stop the beam and damage the firing ship.

Pulse Phasers:  Also in response to the Wolf 359 incident, the old Phaser Cannons were brought back up to the SCE.  The SCE quickly brought the old Cannons up to Mark 11 specs, but were hesitant to order a fleet wide refit because the Mark 11-p lost the ability to arrange their emitters into an array.  They found a perfect test subject in the USS Defiant, a ship highly maneuverable (something almost all Federation Ships were lacking at this point), and still in the early stages of its construction.  The Defiant performed so well in the Klingon-Cardassion War II, and the early Dominion encounters, that more ships were built, and the Mark 12-p was authorized along with the standard Mark 12s.

The current Mark 12 Phasers are a by-product of the Dominion War.  In the build up for the war, it was determined that a fleet wide refit was in order to counter the power of the Dominion Polaron based weapons, and the Mark 12s came into production mere weeks before the outbreak of the war.  As of this writing a new Phaser being developed is the Mark 13, it is still in the early prototype phase, with Engineers having trouble adapting the Mark 13 for use in an array setup.

Take from it what you will, I just thought I'd share it.

At some point post-Enterprise the 22nd century phase weapons were replaced by lasers, which remained in service as late as the 2250s.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 10:53:12 pm »
Well, not entirely, if I remember from the Trek Manual correctly, early Federation Starships used both Lasers and Particle (Phase) Cannons.  The Lasers were used because they were good at damaging shields, and the Particle Cannons were used to damage hull, something that the Lasers couldn't do well at all.  At some point they managed to combine the Lasers and Particle Cannons together to get Phasers.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 11:01:52 pm »
Are we discussing canon or Franz Joseph?  Pre-Enterprise, earth used plasma rifles, and shipboard plasma canons.  The NX class introduced archaic phase weaponry.  Through dialogue in TNG, it can be inferred that earth/the federation abandoned these early phase weapons in favor of lasers.  Lasers were still in use as late as the Cage.  By the time of Kirk's five year mission, the federation seems to have transitioned over to phasers.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 11:13:49 pm »
Canon, this project has to limit itself to onscreen canon.  I'm free to fill in the holes, but anything canon prevails.  Lasers were still in use during the Cage, but it's unclear whether the shipboard weapons were Lasers (its assumed that they are, but its never stated as such)  I've always gone with the Phasers were in use shipboard, but miniaturization problems prevented them from being reduced in size to anything smaller than the Phaser Rifles.  It took the wide spread use of Dilithium as a focusing mechanism before Hand Phasers were developed.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 11:20:40 pm »
My assumption is that hand phasers would have been deployed first, at least on the more advanced ships like the constitution class.  The reasoning being that upgrading the main weapons would have required taking the ship into port for a full overhaul while switching over to hand phasers would have simply required transferring crates the next time the ship made port.  Because the Enterprise would have been too valuable to take out of service for the time necessary amount of time, and as a newer ship it would have been more capable of handling threats with its existing weaponry until the upgrade could be scheduled.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 11:30:22 pm »
That would have been my assumption too, except for 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'.  Kirk and the landing party are equipped with Hand Lasers (Roddenberry reused props and costumes from the first pilot) but when Mitchell became too hard to control Scotty sent down a Phaser Rifle.  The Hand Phasers didn't make their debut until 'The Corbomite Maneuver'.