Topic: WARP SPEED LEVEL IN SFC3? WARP 1,WARP 2....WARP 9?  (Read 8022 times)

Offline Grigolio81

• Lt. Junior Grade
WARP SPEED LEVEL IN SFC3? WARP 1,WARP 2....WARP 9?
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:24:15 am »
HI EVERYONE WHO STILL PLAYING SFC3 GAME.IS IT POSSIBLE TO INCREASE WARP SPEED IN GAME?

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: WARP SPEED LEVEL IN SFC3? WARP 1,WARP 2....WARP 9?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:00:18 pm »
I don't think many are and you can't increase the warp speed in the game it is fixed.

Offline Grigolio81

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »
OK,Thanks a lot ,  :)  I still play sfc3.   ;)
Thank you very much for your response...
But I'm still  trying to find out how to increase warp speed in starfleet command .It's  200.0
What do you think?? Perhaps with Hex editor I should  to change file ''spritesQ3'' in   C:\Program Files\Activision\Sfc3\Assets\Sprites.??
Or more precisely,in wich file is  determined warp speed: 200.0 ??  Do you know the answer?
I know it's a ''const'' variable.
I saw that the maximum impulse speed is :100.0  and the probe speed is 150.0
I will appreciate your answer.
Thanks   ;)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 08:42:47 pm »
You can't and will never be as it is coded and the code will never be released by Activsion.

Offline Grigolio81

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:33:29 am »
OK, Thanks...
It's such a pity that I can not change warp speed in sfc3.  :'(
Everyone knows that in the original star trek movies/series ,there are warp speed level;warp 1,warp 2,warp 3,warp 4,warp 5,warp 6.warp 7,warp 8,warp 9,warp 9.99.
warp 10=Transwarp speed.

Thank you very much for your replies.  ;) 

Offline Vladimir

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:28:57 pm »
Actually, if memory serves, in the original series warp was a cube factor - that is to say warp 6 was the speed of light multiplied by six cubed. However in the newer series (TNG onward I believe), it is a exponential factor similar to being cubed that slowly increases in value as you approach warp 9, and greatly increases if you go much over, which made warp 10 infinite and 'unobtainable'.

For example, warp 9.5 to warp 9.6 in TOS would have been the difference of ~857c to ~885c (NET +28c)- whereas in the TNG warp 9.5 to 9.6 would have been the difference of ~1841c to ~1909 (NET +58c and also more then double the base factor)

REF: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Warp+factor

Cheers~

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 06:26:47 pm »
back in 2003 I did a quick equation that would give you the speed, in terms of speed of light that each Warp Factor gave you, it works in every instance that I tested, I used the table found in Star Trek: The Magazine as the test table.  It handles 9.9+ very well.

c=Wf^((10/3)+(10-Wf)^(-11/3))
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Grigolio81

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 12:45:18 pm »
Ok ,thank you very much my star trek friends.  :)

If any of you have used Hex editor to edit some files in sfc3?
I thought that I could find where is the warp speed ''cons variable'' in wich files in the game directory.
But now I'm pretty tired to find how exactly change warp speed in sfc3.I know it's a constant,and it's : 200.0
I would like to experiment, and change it to 300.0  or 400.0  and then see how it looks to play sfc3.

Any suggestions?   ;)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 07:54:53 pm »

Offline Grigolio81

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 12:01:52 pm »
Yes I know that,,thanks.  :)
But my question is about: How to change warp speed in game starfleet command III.
It's 200.0
How to change that code? I guess that is not possible to found that code in the game with Hex editing.  ;)
What do you think? Thanks!!!

Offline Grigolio81

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:26 am »
Hello hello   :) , does anyone know ?  ;)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 06:32:23 pm »
If know one knows you can't and if it is hard coded Activison owns the code not this place.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 02:19:26 pm »
If know one knows you can't and if it is hard coded Activison owns the code not this place.
::) lol
I've heard that before.
What is the matter don't you beleive me because it is all true?

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 08:26:30 pm »
I'm well aware of the legal aspects Age. I've been here many years. It just amuses me to hear it.

Adam
You haven't been here as long as I have and in the STFC 3 Community.

Offline Grigolio81

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 04:59:46 pm »
OK PEOPLE, do not fight !!!   :) Thank you all my friends.  As the captain Picard tells reason must prevail here.
Let's find a CODE together.  :)
What about hex editing ?
I found something in ''sprites.q3''  like:''ShipWarpCons'' line.
But I do not know what means rest of the code...???   :(  .There must be I think : ''C8'' code because decimal 200.0 is  C8 in hex decimal value.
People what do you think? Thanks  ;)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 05:23:30 pm »
There isn't much you can do as I know the TOP modders of this game I my site hosted the biggest 2 Dyna 3 mods .This site is very much SFC 2 site.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 05:26:40 am »
OK PEOPLE, do not fight !!!   :) Thank you all my friends.  As the captain Picard tells reason must prevail here.
Let's find a CODE together.  :)
What about hex editing ?
I found something in ''sprites.q3''  like:''ShipWarpCons'' line.
But I do not know what means rest of the code...???   :(  .There must be I think : ''C8'' code because decimal 200.0 is  C8 in hex decimal value.
People what do you think? Thanks  ;)

Well... If its a constant than the task of modify it would be tremendous. When the game was compiled every instance of that constant was replaced by its numerical value along all the code. So changing it on a particular place would not be enough. You would have to change it in every place that number was used in any math calculations of the game. That is just 1 of the problems... My 2 cents
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 07:33:47 am »
Well... If its a constant than the task of modify it would be tremendous. When the game was compiled every instance of that constant was replaced by its numerical value along all the code. So changing it on a particular place would not be enough. You would have to change it in every place that number was used in any math calculations of the game. That is just 1 of the problems... My 2 cents

I don't think the people who worked at Taldren were that inept.  Then again...  But anyway, when coding a program like that they would most likely assign the value to a constant symbol.  For example: 

int main()
   {
      const float Warp_Speed = 200;
   }

From there they would use the symbol Warp_Speed in place of the actual value when the program is performing calculations dealing with warp speed.  This helps two or more programers keep the value the same in different parts of the program.  It was considered proper programing back during that time period.

So if you can find where the constant was declared, you should only have to change the value one time.  The trick IMHO would be finding anything even with a hex editor.  I would be interested in this because it may be the only way possible to take parts of the code from SFC OP and putting it into the CE project.  Personally I don't think it would work because I think too much of the code would be unreadable.

Please note I have not done any serious programming in 20 years so if the above code looks a little off, well now you know why.