Topic: Opinion for Gaming  (Read 38850 times)

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
Re: Opinion for Gaming
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 08:37:33 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:31:50 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:05 pm »
I know I want conflict.  Does not have to be Dominion wars.  Actually I obtained two massive "godship" models so so a new antagonist would also work.

I also know with all this talking, there is the question when do we start.  I send some PM's and I am waiting for the SVN to be set up and so forums to host the messages.  The SFC4 SFC2:CE is to cluttered, I would like something clean to post.  Discussions, periodic updates, ideas etc.

As for starting, already have.  Right now the issue is what script language to use.  I am debating LUA and angescript.  The script language are easy but getting a working parser to avoid writing one.

This is a sample, my current test models and background.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 08:47:16 pm »
We have discussed getting license.  And there are various options but we want a well developed entity before proceeding.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 08:56:15 pm »
I would like it to be when there were some open hostilities.  After the Dominion wars it was too peaceful.  Why I would like some Jem'Hadar models, but not part of the Cardassian race.

IMHO I wouldn't limit myself to one specific time frame.  I would include TOS all the way to the end.  It's a lot of work but the payoff would be huge.

One question I do have is if you include SFC CE in with this new game you are thinking about, do you still need a new licence?  Or does this become the mega patch from h*|| that bypasses a new licence?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:11 pm »
If we can get the models then we can go for broke as far as the era we include.  Game is designed to handle this.

This will not include any of SFC CE in the code base.  The technology used is ancient, and will not fully support modern hardware.  It works but not at full potential.

Licenses has not been decided.  But this will be our own product. 

This is not a patch on EAW OP CE or anything else. 

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 09:57:42 pm »
"OK, just going to throw this out here.  Are you guys ready for the headaches in getting a Star Trek license for your endeavor?  I hear those aren't cheap..."

Dude, Debbie downer times infinity...  ::)

Yeah, I know.  We want a fun new game.  I've just seen several licensing issues with Paramount over the years, specifically relating to the Star Trek setting.  No one in gaming seems to be able to hang on to a ST license for any great length of time...

I do wish the design team guys the best of luck, I just want them going into this endeavor sober, with both eyes open.  Myself, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they made their own universe and saved some bucks on licensing, but I know how alluring the Star Trek universe is.

In other news, Electronic Arts just snagged a whole bunch of exclusive Star Wars licensing options...
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/the-future-of-star-wars-games-belongs-to-ea/

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 10:08:53 pm »
If it does not work out, redo the graphics, new models, change a few files and we have a new game.

Interesting about EA and Star Wars, but it is all about money.

My humble opinion, if we approach CBS with a 90% working, flushed out, quality gamed that utilizes the power of modern computers I think we will get their attention.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2013, 01:01:51 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but we only need a license if we are selling the game right?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 09:33:25 am »
In theory if w are making money on it.  There were court cases in California to support this. 

So, in theory, if we do not make a profit, we can sell the game to pay for servers etc.  But that is something Frey will look closer into.  We would rather get CBS approval for the game, if possible.

If I understand correctly it is if the game itself makes money.  So a possibility is a free game but sell the multiplayer time like many MMORPG's do or sell credits etc.  There are ways of covering expense and delivering a free game.

None of these decisions need to be made now, as we need a product to demonstrate to CBS.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 09:12:28 am »
Are there any thoughts or opinions on a scripting language to use for missions?  The idea is to use this method to allow players to create their own missions.  I may also use this method to store game data. 

The game would have a parser imbedded withing its code to read the script and this parser would create "code" that can then be run to setup the mission and all the needed information.  As the script would be in text, the missions can be changed or coped into new ones. 

I am open to any suggestions as the users will be using it more that I. Although I have a preference "AngelScript" as its syntax is c++ like, and therefore many many references to be able to learn it.   Another popular one is "LUA" used in other MMORPG's such as World or Warcraft.  There are others. 

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 02:52:46 pm »
I think that it's always a good ideia to walk on known roads. I've writen a few things in LUA before, when i was playing warcraft and minecraft (computercraft). People tend to use things that they are used to.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2013, 03:18:21 pm »
LUA and Angelscript are both well know and in use on other games.  I have no real preference other that I have toyed around with LUA a little, relating to World of Warcraft.  And lets not forget Python.

LUA's claim to fame is its use in World of Warcraft.  And WOW, has problems with adds crashing, and if embrace Google you see crashing or erratic behavior is a symptom of LUA.

Angelscript has thumbs up from some developers as a modding language.

Python just is.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:34:09 pm by [UFP]Exeter »

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »
Where you able to determine what language .ODFs used?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2013, 06:42:03 pm »
An ODF is a text file, and they are similar to both LUA and AngelScript and even Python.  I believe they were written in MaxScript, as this is how "animation" could be done, building a model and scripting it.  MaxScript was (is) a product of AutoDeslk that produce MaxScript.

What little I know:
The game engine was Storm3D which used its own format for models.
However thee was an exporter written for 3DS to export the models.  I believe there was one for Blender also.

When you do a search for Storm3D engine you get one by FrozenBytes and I do not know if it is the same engine or not.

If somebody wanted to tackle writing an importer for Armada ships, I would work with them.  But I would strongly suggest using the armada ship as a model an redoing it as the detail we support is far greater than what Armada did.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2013, 08:55:46 pm »
My goal is to have the game engine itself finished by mid May.

As for scripting language, I think AngelScript may work best, had it integrated within 15 minute.   Takes less code and very straightforward.  But this can be changed.  If we get somebody willing to write missions I will change to whatever scripting language the want to use.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:03:48 pm by [UFP]Exeter »

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2013, 09:34:53 pm »
An ODF is a text file, and they are similar to both LUA and AngelScript and even Python.  I believe they were written in MaxScript, as this is how "animation" could be done, building a model and scripting it.  MaxScript was (is) a product of AutoDeslk that produce MaxScript.

What little I know:
The game engine was Storm3D which used its own format for models.
However thee was an exporter written for 3DS to export the models.  I believe there was one for Blender also.

When you do a search for Storm3D engine you get one by FrozenBytes and I do not know if it is the same engine or not.

If somebody wanted to tackle writing an importer for Armada ships, I would work with them.  But I would strongly suggest using the armada ship as a model an redoing it as the detail we support is far greater than what Armada did.

We won't be able to use any of the original models or mods themselves they are all either property of Activision or only licensed by their makers for nonprofit use. However the designs themselves can be replicated without problem as long as the creators are credited.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2013, 09:41:16 pm »
We will give credit for everything we use, so that is not an issue.  I have many Star Trek models that need textures that we have permission to use as long as we give credit.    I also have some non Trek models that need no credit as I purchased them.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2013, 06:43:09 pm »
I would like to see a 3d version of SFC similar to legacey with SFC3 refit.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 07:00:56 pm »
In a way it will be.  but similar only as we do plan on full 3D movement for combat.  But the use of grids on the main starmap.  But we do not have the code.  Also SFC3 is based on SFB, and unless permission is given to use the game mechanics we have to do our own.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2013, 01:59:54 pm »
Remember the game SFC3 is the property of Activion too and after their split with Paramount they pretty much just ignore people like us when comes to help or giving any kind of permission. The new game will have to be ground up new code. there no way we will get permission to actually incorporate any part from the old games. We can recreate some feature but we will have to find our own way with the coding. I think 3d is the way to go in the game because it is both more realistic and it will make the game more challenging. It will also make pathing of the units ingame simper because they can exploit any direction to move around obstacles. What we need to do is find a compromise in the physics that lets the ships feel like ships and be more ponderous in their movement and things like drones and fighters feel faster with out resorting to artificial speed limits on the different units. Once a warship gets up too speed there are things it can out run; missiles and fighter or other ships; and things it can't; phasers, disruptors, photon torpedoes. the price is turning. One thing that would be cool is a Newtonian maneuver option.