Favorite SFC time period?

2265-2270 (extened "Early Era"
10 (62.5%)
2271-2279  (Diet-coke of cheese era)
4 (25%)
2280 - 2300 (Full-Retard Cheese era)
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Topic: Favorite SFC time period  (Read 30199 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: Favorite SFC time period
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2014, 03:37:26 pm »
Yeah, but you also have nothing heavy that fires backwards and a lousy HET %. If a larger hull ship decides to take the beating and chase you down your pretty helpless if they can survive long enough to grab you. Now if you decide to go head to head...

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2014, 03:52:40 pm »
Yeah, well obviously I'm not going be flying it one on one vs a ship that can pull that off, and I don't think the CLD could take that kind of a beating considering how pathetic its shields are.  Javora would need at least an NCD to pull of the tactics he wants.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:23:53 pm by knightstorm »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2014, 04:19:44 pm »
I agree. Both ships have the potential to whack each other pretty well. It's just a matter of not getting whacked in the process. Also, he is used to a ship with 2 more power. In OP+ it would be different.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2014, 09:08:04 pm »
Are you forgetting the six phaser 1s, and 2 phaser 3s.

What, do you think that NEC has no phasers??!?

I picked a NEC because I wanted something with superior AMD defense to help make up going up against an AI.  And I'm susposed to believe that a DDL+ is going to be even better at missile defense??!?  And no I'm not trying to compare a person to a stupid AI, I was trying to gauge the effectiveness of the missiles.

While a CLD+ may have a limited amount of missiles, a DDL+ has even fewer non-phaser defenses.  Once the DDL+ runs out of what few mines and WW it has out comes the SP and missile combos.

A CLD+ isn't going to need a massive shield defense because that DDL+ isn't going to get that close anyway.  And BTW my original argument was that a simular ship with 4 or more fast missiles would smoke a DDL+.  So I don't want to hear about BPV or custom mods you all knew the claim I made before this discussion started.  I'm also not trying to make this personal, what I am trying to say is that a missile ship would smoke a non-missile ship of simular size (without cloak).

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2014, 10:01:26 pm »
While a CLD+ may have a limited amount of missiles, a DDL+ has even fewer non-phaser defenses.  Once the DDL+ runs out of what few mines and WW it has out comes the SP and missile combos.

And we keep telling you that with the ability to handle 10 drones per turn, when would those WW and mines need to be used without a SP on the board? Plus you want to stay at range 30, which eats up fuel and gives the drones less time to chase at close range and overwhelm defenses.

A CLD+ isn't going to need a massive shield defense because that DDL+ isn't going to get that close anyway.

In your opinion.

And BTW my original argument was that a simular ship with 4 or more fast missiles would smoke a DDL+.  So I don't want to hear about BPV or custom mods you all knew the claim I made before this discussion started.

You're the one who brought the lopsided example. You're the one who said fast drones which inflate your combat BPV. All I said in response to your original claim was that Drones were the easiest things in the game to defend against.

I'm also not trying to make this personal, what I am trying to say is that a missile ship would smoke a non-missile ship of simular size (without cloak).

We obviously don't agree on this as that would make just about every Gorn and ISC ship useless against droners, and I know that isn't true since I have destroyed many flying those races.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2014, 10:12:21 pm »

What, do you think that NEC has no phasers??!?

I picked a NEC because I wanted something with superior AMD defense to help make up going up against an AI.  And I'm susposed to believe that a DDL+ is going to be even better at missile defense??!?  And no I'm not trying to compare a person to a stupid AI, I was trying to gauge the effectiveness of the missiles.

The AI is particularly poor against seeking weapons which is why it makes even more of a difference than it would in a normal human AI match.  A full salvo from a CLD can really mess up if not destroy any ship smaller than a DN, but a human pilot who knows what they're doing isn't going to make landing that salvo easy.

A CLD+ isn't going to need a massive shield defense because that DDL+ isn't going to get that close anyway.  And BTW my original argument was that a simular ship with 4 or more fast missiles would smoke a DDL+.

If you're not coming close enough for the DDL+ to land plasma than you're not getting close enough to land missiles.  A fast drone takes time to catch up with a ship moving at speed 31, that's enough time that the DDL+'s phasers will be able to handle them.  If you try to get close enough to make your drones go through you're going to get hurt by the F-Torps.

So I don't want to hear about BPV or custom mods you all knew the claim I made before this discussion started.

We're talking about OP+ which has been the defacto shiplist for multiplayer games for years.

what I am trying to say is that a missile ship would smoke a non-missile ship of simular size (without cloak).

And I would have to respectfully disagree on that point.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:29:40 pm by knightstorm »

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2014, 02:28:51 am »
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  I don't see either of us getting convinced by the others arguments.  I can only hope that we can figure out this Win V/7/8 issue and play multiplayer again some day.

As for my Favorite SFC time period it's 2275, because my favorite ship in the game was the F-FFL+.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2014, 10:30:10 am »
OP does work on Vista/7.  Its just the dynaverse that doesn't work right.  You can still have IP matches.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 08:22:33 am »
A modest proposal: why don't you guys trade IP addresses and take this out of the theoretical?

Fug, I can't even beat the AI anymore.  I have to stay in the realm of theory. 

Also, taking this to IP adds skill to the equation.  When discussing this kinda thing skill is best left out of the equation.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 08:23:32 am »
OP does work on Vista/7.  Its just the dynaverse that doesn't work right.  You can still have IP matches.

Correct.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:58 pm »
Good luck charging all of that with 23 power.  And if that DDL+ has to go up against a ship with 4 or more fast  missiles than that DDL+ will be a cloud of dust in about 10 minutes.

I did fine with a FDD+ vs K-D5D.