Topic: New Star Wars Trailer  (Read 12993 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: New Star Wars Trailer
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 11:05:27 am »
You know, I just realized that this (and the future films) can never, ever be true Star Wars films. They won't have the prelude 20th Century Fox fanfare that John Williams resurrected and rearranged specifically for the original Star Wars that perfectly segues into the blast of horns when the first title card appears.  :(

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 11:53:02 am »
I'm carefully optimistic myself. anyways, this might belong in H&S, but did you dudes hear about the moron who killed himself in NC, because one of the Heroes is black? I think the man just won Darwin of the year.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 12:07:13 pm »
Yeah I heard about that racist garbage. I guess James Earl Jones, Billy Dee Williams and the two guys who played the Naboo Captains of the Guard in the first two prequels are just really white guys in black-face.  ::)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 12:51:44 pm »
HAH! Good point Corbo. Things like that tick me off for some reason.

Heck, I saw the trailer for the new Batman toon coming out, the other day, and some one was bitching about Batwing (no clue who that is), being black. It just drives me crazy.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 01:07:24 pm »
Heck, I saw the trailer for the new Batman toon coming out, the other day, and some one was bitching about Batwing (no clue who that is), being black. It just drives me crazy.

Batwing=Luke Fox, Lucius Fox's son, so of course he is black. What would one expect? The first Batwing was black too, so I'm not seeing even a "you're ruining my childhood" reason here.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 01:35:36 pm »
The only "problem" I have with casting a black actor in a role that was traditionally played by a white person is when they are doing it because "We need a black person in the movie" political correctness BS.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 01:56:58 pm »
Oh, Hell, I forgot Samuel L. Jackson too! Can't forget the Mighty Windu.

I'm not a fan of racial rebranding either. I don't mind that Nick Fury (and by proxy Sgt. Fury) suddenly changed skin color, I just didn't think it was necessary. I'd rather they highlight already racially diverse characters like they are doing with War Machine and Falcon in the Marvel films. I keep wondering when a Black Panther movie will be greenlit. At least when Marvel wanted to change Psylocke from white into Asian they came up with a storyline that explained it.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 08:24:49 pm »
The only "problem" I have with casting a black actor in a role that was traditionally played by a white person is when they are doing it because "We need a black person in the movie" political correctness BS.

Or because Will Smith wants to force his children on us.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 09:53:35 pm »
Ahh ok, Thanks Corbo I know who Batwing is now.

I tell ya what I hate about black actors in general. If they get any screen time at all, it will be a horror movie, where they will almost always be the first to die. And as Brush wolf said, If they remade Psycho, today, The roll played by Janet Leigh (Marion Crane) would instead be a transexual black man, just because it's more PC.

Then again, I'm a bit weird. When it comes to Entertainment, I am a misogynist, esp. with all the old 80's horror movies and halloween creeping up.  They just don't work other wise.

Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. well, to be fair, when Marvel did the ultimates, in paper, they went with him in mind. It really doesn't bother me that they made him that way in the movies.  Now granted, there is very few movies with a black lead (or let me rephrase that , that I enjoy.)  Danny Glover in Pred 2 or the Lethal weapon series is a great example of it done right.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 08:45:40 am »

We can only hope that this is not because they have to cover up the meh but because they understand that a good trailer pulls you in without giving away the story. JJ is a good director and his Trek was a good movie but for many of us the departure from the Trek we had grown up with was too much.

I only watched the first few episodes of Lost.  I thought it was pointless crap.  I went to see the first JJ Abrams' Star Trek hoping to see something new and different, only to realize that it was a mean spirited parody.  These are the only works of Abrams I've seen, so if he made anything "good," I haven't seen it.

As far as Star Wars goes, how can a hack director mess up a feature length toy commercial?
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 09:42:52 am »
As far as Star Wars goes, how can a hack director mess up a feature length toy commercial?

I can safely say that I'm not in the JJ Abrams fan club (yet, at least), but I won't go so far as to say he's as bad as Michael Bay. He's a huge fan of SW, so I'm going to hope he has had the sense to absorb all the fan backlash of the last twenty odd years and find his inner Jedi. We also have the issue that this is the first film in a new series. Nothing important will be resolved story-wise in the first film. If we are lucky it will just be a good installment.

Offline Mentat Jon

• Captain
  • Sending you to hell via drone alpha
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 08:04:05 pm »
Probley the only time I go to the movies this year.. Hollywood does not make much that makes me want to leave the house these days..
"The great questions of the day will be decided not by speeches or majority votes ...but by blood and iron." - Prince Otto Von Bismarck.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »
New Japanese trailer. It shows more and has longer vignettes. The story speculators are going to have a field day. I'm still looking forward to it so far.

! No longer available