Topic: Advice on Model Format  (Read 3048 times)

intermech

Advice on Model Format
« on: November 16, 2014, 01:11:50 pm »
I'm looking for some advice on model formats. I am starting to develop an online repository for my models. I want to release them in a generic format that people can use to convert to future game formats. I have Milkshape and want to export to the most universal format that will retain light maps. Any suggestions?

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
Re: Advice on Model Format
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 03:22:42 am »
i suggest to use Wavefront Obj-format it supports longer texture-file names and doesn't mess up the polyshading, after rewelding vertexes in the mesh, like 3ds-format does.
Milkshape exports to this format and for most version of max there is an importer plugin available, but 3ds is easier to handle in most modelling programms.

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

intermech

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:07:58 pm »
Thanks guys. It seems 3ds and obj both drop the light map. I could include it in the file and let the person downloading deal with it. In fact, if I do that, I could do bump and speculate maps while I'm at it.

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:46:38 pm »
Since your happy to release why not just release the 3ds.max .scene file also?

:thumbsup:

Offline wancow

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:07:36 am »
Thanks guys. It seems 3ds and obj both drop the light map. I could include it in the file and let the person downloading deal with it. In fact, if I do that, I could do bump and speculate maps while I'm at it.
I wouldn't worry too much about the issues you have here.  I use DAZ Studio for  rendering and I have to do a lot of tweaking to get a render looking good in the first  place with maps.

My pref is Wavefront OBJ.  IMHO it's the easiest to use and more hobbyists have access to it.

Offline admiral horton

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:43:03 am »
Yeah do bump and specular maps
I know in DAZ it will export a model in .obj and convert all maps with it
there are great starship designs and there is crap

Check out my orthographic views at
http://admiral-horton.deviantart.com/