Topic: How badly has Windows 8 flopped?  (Read 18482 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: How badly has Windows 8 flopped?
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 01:10:31 pm »
Even if you didn't install a desktop widget for W8 you only had to deal with the Metro Interface on logging in and after that you spent 99% of your time on the desktop. The Metro Interface was really only bad because of being tablet centric and if it had been properly adjusted for the PC environment I don't think there would have been as much push back.

You forgot to mention the lack of a start button.

Personally, I think Windows 8 was Steve Jobs having the last laugh.  He went on about how tablets were going to replace PCs, and MS were the ones who were stupid enough to believe him.  They would have been better off designing seperate PC and tablet editions.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2016, 01:34:45 pm »
Even if you didn't install a desktop widget for W8 you only had to deal with the Metro Interface on logging in and after that you spent 99% of your time on the desktop. The Metro Interface was really only bad because of being tablet centric and if it had been properly adjusted for the PC environment I don't think there would have been as much push back.

You forgot to mention the lack of a start button.

Personally, I think Windows 8 was Steve Jobs having the last laugh.  He went on about how tablets were going to replace PCs, and MS were the ones who were stupid enough to believe him.  They would have been better off designing seperate PC and tablet editions.

The widget I installed boots me directly to desktop, after the blue bootup/login screen appears.  And I have a start menu/button in the lower right, with the usual stuff in the bottom bar (app tabs, processes/control section, and of course date & time).  So I don't see the 'Metro' interface at all, unless I deliberately go there somehow (as I never need it, I'm not sure how I would bring the 'tile' menu up in the first place on my desktop).  I have no need to know, as the desktop environment has everything I need.

As Dr McCoy said in TMP (paraphrasing) 'gotta luv engineers, they just love to change things'.  Hopefully the staff at Microsoft learned their lesson with 8 about the downside of changing things just for the sake of changing them... (not holding my breath).

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 12:18:07 pm »
If you add the Android versions and iOS together, it equals over half the market share.  Most people upgrade their phones about every two years which is why the list shows so many of the Android versions.  To see a real apples to apples OS PC comparison, all of the phone OS's need to be stripped out.

It also has to do with hardware.  Alot of the droid phones are lower end budget models which can't run andorid 5 and later.  Likewise, 6 is the newest version of android which only comes pre-installed on the newer phones that were released this year, and hasn't been ported to alot of the existing models which can run it yet.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2016, 01:16:23 pm »
I'll get a 17" replacement eventually, and I'm sure it'll probably have 10 on it. 

I just bought a 17" refurb (Acer 1.8ghz A4 processor, 4gb/500gb I upgraded it to 16gb/1TB hybrid HD) and ran it for a week off the DVD to avoid the preinstalled Win 8.1.  Now it has Netrunner 17 and the upgrades.  I no longer own a Windows machine.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2019, 06:17:13 pm »
Windows 10 just passed Windows 7 for the number 1 version of Windows.  Windows 8 has now definitely been shown by history to be a FLOP. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 08:58:39 am »
Windows 10 just passed Windows 7 for the number 1 version of Windows.  Windows 8 has now definitely been shown by history to be a FLOP.

Interesting.
Didn't knew that.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)