Topic: Interesting stuff about SpaceX Starship (hate the name)  (Read 34546 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Interesting stuff about SpaceX Starship (hate the name)
« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2022, 09:19:40 am »
Fastest Falcon 9 booster turn around 21 days.  Part of that will be shipping time on the drone ship and part waiting for a launch opportunity.

Falcon 9:
160 successful launches
122 successful landings
98 reflights of previously flown boosters.  (some up to 12 times so far)

Launch cadence so far this year 1/week.

James Webb telescope hit by a meteor.  1 mirror damaged still supposed to be able to perform above specification.

New Shepard had another manned hop.  Wonder if it could achieve orbit on the moon or Mars and could it land on either from orbit?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #261 on: June 20, 2022, 11:13:12 am »
A booster reached 13 launches and landings now.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2022, 09:54:17 pm »
Super Heavy booster #7 had an explosion of some size during testing today.  Details are still to come but to me it looked like the explosion might have been external from a methane leak or accidental release.  Amount of damage unknown.  Will #7 still fly at some point?  Who knows?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #263 on: July 16, 2022, 10:34:04 am »
More explosion info. They were testing the turbines for pumping the methane/LOX.  They are powered by burning the methane/LOX BUT the ones pumping LOX use more LOX than needed to consume all the methane.  The ones pumping methane do the reverse.  The exhaust from each is pumped into the material pumped and since there is effectively none of the material not being pumped combustion doesn't happen till it reaches the combustion chamber and is burned with the rest of the propellant (propellant in this case is methane+LOX individually they are the fuel and oxidizer respectively).  Since they weren't pumping actual propellants the exhaust was not burned together in the combustion chamber and apparently there was not enough wind to disperse it.  Add a ignition source and you get the BOOM! that they had.  They won't try and test all 33 sets of pumps at the same time again. 

I'm speculating but since they were "spin testing" the turbines I think they were not actually burning it in the turbines and what was exhausted was still cryogenic keeping it liquid and not immediately entering the atmosphere stopping the methane testers and explosive mixture detectors from noticing it before significant amounts had been released.  Once they vapourized it was quickly an explosive mixture and a ignition source must have been present.

The booster (BN7) has been removed from the launch pad (with the chop sticks which obviously aren't too damaged to function) for inspection and possibly repair.  Ultimate fate unknown.

They have filed a flight plan for the first launch and apparently are indicating that it will launch satellites and allowing for the option of the booster landing.  It probably won't land the first time but they seem to be at least considering it (or getting the FAA ready for an actual landing test). 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2022, 08:53:15 am »
The spin test that caused the explosion on the booster BN7 has now been done with SN24.  13 of the engines for BN7 have been removed for inspection/repair/replacement.