Topic: Proposed enhancment fo "top view"  (Read 3026 times)

Remiak

Proposed enhancment fo "top view"
« on: January 23, 2003, 10:31:47 am »
Hi,
I understand we have the option to play in different views for a different gamming experience and I also know about using the tactical display on the top right corner to get a general idea of the situation.

I like playing in top view and I find the top right corner tactical display is not a complete account of what is taking place: it does not show mines deployed, is difficult to look at in nebulas (bright yellow), hide actions taking effect on that section of the screen (not enough see throuh) can not click on targets there as it attempts to click on the tactical map, has pre-defined zoom setting (too large...too small no in between scale) and makes it crowded in asteroid fields.

Still some people love it and It is great for them, but  there are other options that would please other players.
It would be possible to make the "top view" more pleasant by inroducing the player controlled zooming in and out.

Right now the zoom in is done automatically according to the distance of the unit in target lock.

Abiity to zoom in and zoom out using the "+" and "-" keys would be great, overriding automatic target lock related zooming.
Changing the type of view (using F1 keys would reset to automatic).

If a ship cloaked and I lost target I could still view a large section of space.
If I am in close fight with a target ennemy, I could still see a larger section of space (mines, map edged, asteroids, othe ships closing in etc..) all under my control.  

If this is not possible alternate solutions would be to bring back the following:
1. Ability to lock on all innanimated objects like asteroids/mines/planets (already possible) to keep the view larger.
2. Set a maximum limit for the automatic "zoom in" like range 15. when no ship is in "target lock" we could see more than the close up of our ship's back. When the zoom in take effect automatically because a target is closing...stop the zoom in at that distance, even if target continues to approach.

This is no "show stopper", and there are other priorites to deal with, but it would be something to keep in mind along with the race specific game interfaces (colors and mouse pointers) that would enhance the enjoyment of many.

Thanks        

Re: Proposed enhancment fo "top view"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 10:49:24 am »
You can do that already, but you have to hit F5 to unlock from the target first.

Remiak

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 10:59:35 am »
Quote:

You can do that already, but you have to hit F5 to unlock from the target first.  

Wow...that was a quick fix.

Thanks you sir for the info. I will use it.

Speaker to Aliens

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 12:22:04 pm »
Quote:

But they have     GOT   to stop the bloody screen zooming right in when your target cloaks! Thats a real pain in the neck!

CptSavage

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 12:36:34 pm »
Interesting Idea, but I MISS MY TARGETLESS CHASE VIEW! Thjats how I play OP. Chase with target off.  

KBF-Dogmatix

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 04:56:54 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

But they have     GOT   to stop the bloody screen zooming right in when your target cloaks! Thats a real pain in the neck!  

Amen, Brother!  I HATE that!

Remiak

Proposed enhancment fo "top view"
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 10:31:47 am »
Hi,
I understand we have the option to play in different views for a different gamming experience and I also know about using the tactical display on the top right corner to get a general idea of the situation.

I like playing in top view and I find the top right corner tactical display is not a complete account of what is taking place: it does not show mines deployed, is difficult to look at in nebulas (bright yellow), hide actions taking effect on that section of the screen (not enough see throuh) can not click on targets there as it attempts to click on the tactical map, has pre-defined zoom setting (too large...too small no in between scale) and makes it crowded in asteroid fields.

Still some people love it and It is great for them, but  there are other options that would please other players.
It would be possible to make the "top view" more pleasant by inroducing the player controlled zooming in and out.

Right now the zoom in is done automatically according to the distance of the unit in target lock.

Abiity to zoom in and zoom out using the "+" and "-" keys would be great, overriding automatic target lock related zooming.
Changing the type of view (using F1 keys would reset to automatic).

If a ship cloaked and I lost target I could still view a large section of space.
If I am in close fight with a target ennemy, I could still see a larger section of space (mines, map edged, asteroids, othe ships closing in etc..) all under my control.  

If this is not possible alternate solutions would be to bring back the following:
1. Ability to lock on all innanimated objects like asteroids/mines/planets (already possible) to keep the view larger.
2. Set a maximum limit for the automatic "zoom in" like range 15. when no ship is in "target lock" we could see more than the close up of our ship's back. When the zoom in take effect automatically because a target is closing...stop the zoom in at that distance, even if target continues to approach.

This is no "show stopper", and there are other priorites to deal with, but it would be something to keep in mind along with the race specific game interfaces (colors and mouse pointers) that would enhance the enjoyment of many.

Thanks        

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 10:49:24 am »

Remiak

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 10:59:35 am »
Quote:

Wow...that was a quick fix.

Thanks you sir for the info. I will use it.

Speaker to Aliens

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 12:22:04 pm »
Quote:

CptSavage

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 12:36:34 pm »
Interesting Idea, but I MISS MY TARGETLESS CHASE VIEW! Thjats how I play OP. Chase with target off.  

KBF-Dogmatix

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2003, 04:56:54 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Amen, Brother!  I HATE that!