Topic: The Last of the Lyrans  (Read 15166 times)

Ishmael VII

The Last of the Lyrans
« on: April 28, 2003, 08:52:01 pm »
I've been thinking about Lyrans.   Why are there so few players that fly Lyran?  What is it about them?   Those thoughts and an unnatural combination of jet lag, decongestants and boredom led to the following.   It's supposed to be a little funny.  Not a lot.  Only a two chapter story.

THE LAST OF THE LYRANS,    Chapter One

By James Finemore Ishmael

The Lyran race was proud. Too proud.  For centuries they had controlled vast areas of space.  Aggressive hunters. Brilliant engineers.  A perfect recipe for expansion of a vast and glorious empire.  There was just one problem.  In their pride they had engineered their ships in such a manner as to make them painfully difficult to master.

True the Lyran Academy of Incompetent Captains, Lyran AI for short, was pumping out soon-to-be-dead Officers at it's usual rate, however, this only underscored the problem.  There were, simply, only a handful of Lyran Captains truly worthy to command a starship.

This problem alone had caused domination and glory to slip from the Empire's claws.  The few commanders of note simply responding to attacks rather than ever being on the offensive.  The time had come to end the problem.  Immediately.

Admirals Laflin and Mog reclined gracefully on the Field of Admirals.  The morning sun warming their bodies, the smell of the Hawkeye Flowers wafting on the breeze.  Their minds in deep thought.

"I cannot believe you issued that challenge to the Orions Mog!" Laflin harumphed.   "I mean I agree with you that we must get some alien Captains to join the Lyran Star Force.  But really, did you have to say that!!??"

"Threll was right Laflin."  Mog replied.   "No mercenary will come near a Lyran ship.  They just can't seem to grasp the fine details of our crafts.  I mean you do remember the time that Maverick chap tried to captain one of our ships?"

The mention of which caused them both to laugh somewhat ironically.

"It's not that hard!!  Dammit!!" Mog bellowed in anger once he stifled his laugher.  Mood swings were normal for Lyrans, Mirak and periodically for human females.  "We have just not trained them adequately!

"I will take this task upon my shoulder personally!!" Mog continued formally as he pounded his chest.  "Yes I Mog!!!  Hunter of Klingons!!  Killer of Mirak!!!"

"Oye, here we go." Laflin interrupted.

"Stomper up and downer of Hydrans!"  Mog continued un-fazed.  "Spanker of Feds!  Whoop arser of Romulans!  Make'em run home to their mommier of the ISC!!"

"Whoop arser?"  Laflin asked.

"All that and a bag of chips!!!" Mog thundered.

"Alright alright!!! Dial it back a notch buddy!" Laflin said with a smile.  I understand the need for mercenaries, but I think this bet with the Orions is just a little overboard."

"Hey, if I can pull it off then they will send some of their best pilots."  Mog said.

"But did you have to say that you could train the WORST captain in the quadrant to fly Lyran?"  Laflin asked.

"I can do it!!" Mog yelled.  "I, kick butter of Mirak. Tear a new oneer of Romulans . . ."

"Alright!!!!"  Laflin yelled.

"So you going to open it or what?" Mog asked, indicated the envelope in Laflin's hand.

Laflin looked at the envelope the Orion leader had given him.  Inside, scribbled on a piece of papyrus, was a name.  The name of the worst captain in the quadrant.  In the Orion's opinion that is.  He held the envelope up and flexed the muscle in his right index finger that unsheathed his claw.  Instantly the immaculately manicured tool of death extended and sliced the envelope open.

Slowly, in order to build up the unnecessary tension that lame authors tend to employ, Laflin pulled the sliver of papyrus out.  He turned it over and gazed at the name scrawled thereupon.  

Laflin was frozen with dread for the first time in forty years, well except for that incident with his wife at the mall last month.  Time slowed about him.  His eyes dilated.  And in the distance, a Mocassin Bird barked.  (HEY there are no dogs on Lyra!! Think about it.  And yes, their birds bark!! Who's writing this??!!)

"Uh oh" Mog said, noting the fear in Laflin's eyes.  "Please tell me it's not Hooch."

"Worse" Laflin said.

"Kroma?" Mog asked.

"Worse."

"OMG it's Maverick again!!!!" Mog shrieked.  "Why did you let me make that bet??"

"Much much worse." Laflin said.

Suddenly the light of recognition gleamed in Mog's eyes.  A cold chill raced through his bones and in the distance a Lyran camel barked. (SHUDDAP!)

"Oh no . . . not him." Mog gasped.

"You and yer big mouth." Laflin hissed.

"We're sooo screwed."  They both said in unison.

. . . . .
One week later at the Federal Minimum Security Prison on Alpha Centauri V a certain Prisoner of War disappeared.   The Warden read yet another of the prisoner's complaint letters.   This one stating that while Sake was usually served at 98.6 degrees (F) that this was based on human body temperature and that his temperature was 99.7 degrees (F).  The prisoner's letter finished with a threat to report the matter too the Red Cross if he was not treated better immediately and if his Sake was not served at the proper temperature.  There would be yet another inquiry. Another pile of paper work.

Being a wise man, the Warden decided to not even report the escape.
. . . . .

A few days later Admirals Mog and Laflin, along with a slightly intoxicated Admiral Cub Carson, stood present in the main Commanders' Holodeck on Lyra.  The heart of the Command training system.

"Well who's the cadet?" Carson asked.

"You don't want to know."  Laflin replied.

"I hear he is not too happy about the dye job we gave him." Mog said with a snicker.

"Dye job?"  Carson asked while taking another swig of some fowl smelling concoction that was called Clamato by the Terrans.

"You don't want to know." Laflin said in monotone.

Suddenly the door opened and in walked the biggest Lyran Carson had ever seen.  But there was something about him.  The lay of his fur.  The shape of the jaw.  

"Alright just why the heck am I here!!!"  The stranger yelled.  "Do you have any idea who I am?  Do you??"  He demanded.

"Oh no it's him."  Carson gasped as he slammed his paw down on his communicator.

"Admiral Carson to security!!"  He yelled.  "Intruder alert.  Send a team to the holocenter and for Lyra's sake erect a level 5 force field around my beer storage facility!!"

"Mmmmm beeerrrr." the stranger said.

"Enough!!" Laflin bellowed as he canceled the alert.   "Admiral Carson I'd like you to meet Space Cadet Stimpy."

"Stimpy!!?" Carson hissed.  "I don't know what kind of game you guys are playing but that's . . . .    Mog clasped his paw over Carson mouth and hissed.  "That IS Space Cadet Stimpy. Got it?!"

"And Stimpy here is going to be trained to command a Lyran ship as good as you or I or else the Orions will not send us any pilots."  He continued.

"HIM!!??" Carson bellowed and started to laugh out loud.  "Surely you can't be serious!!?"

"I am dead serious." Mog replied. "And don't call me Shirley."

"But . . . but . . ."  Carson stammered

"We will all train him.  The fate of the Lyran empire rests on his shoulders."  Laflin said.

"Oh crap!"  Carson said quietly as he took another swig of his Clamato and Beer.

-----------

Tune in soonish for Chapter Two, when Stimpy says,    "WHADAYA MEAN THERE'S NO DRONES?"

Dizzy

Re: The Last of the Lyrans
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 09:24:51 pm »
hrmpff. Didnt see my name in there anywhere... :P

TheMaverick

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 09:32:08 pm »
Hey dammit I wasn't a bad lyran! Ok so maybe I was but for my first time I thought I did alright I think I killed someone (I think) I could be wrong.

Very funny Mr. ba....oh I mean Stimpy...

Hondo_8

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 09:53:21 pm »
Jet lag,...jet lag and bordom, jet lag, bordom and proper grammer, yup I knew it all along, knew it allllllll along.  Scotch? gross, thats just wrong, only silly people drink scotch, silly people wearing funny hats, drinking scotch, while sleeping under a heat lamp. Man you would think silly people under heat lamps, wearing silly hats would drink scoth, I guess it all fits, excpet for the jet lag. Can'nt figure out where the jet lag fits in, couse airplanes don't have heat lamps.  *Sniff Sniff Sniff* I smell a Monty Pthoyn skit brewing.

Dizzy

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 09:58:48 pm »
Ya, suck it up ho biatch. Just so you remember... this 'second rate' Lyran was responsible for 46+ Human kills on IDSL. I got axed maybe twice. I had a BC for half the server, and only Bearslayer in his ID bested me. He cheated I think...

So you watch who you call madman... I wouldnt think twice about singeing your fur on the end of an ESG stick...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dizzy »

Gumby

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 09:59:09 pm »
Quote:

"Oh crap!"  Carson said quietly as he took another swig of his Clamato and Beer.

-----------

Tune in soonish for Chapter Two, when Stimpy says,    "WHADAYA MEAN THERE'S NO DRONES?"

Crap?   Well.........  this is exactly the sort of crap I'd like to see more of in these forums...  Keep it up!

Cleaven

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 10:14:43 pm »
I've gone a few rounds with some of the OP players on GSA using my Generations format. I usually play Lyran first, and you can see that some really aren't used to flying against them.  Four nil as Lyran and then I'll play again as Romulan and lose 1-3. Not saying that I'm a good Lyran, but if you're a reasonable Lyran and the opposition doesn't know what to do then you have an advantage.  

Ishmael VII

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 11:58:37 pm »
Oh lord why did I drink that Starbuck's coffee this late . . . .

CHAPTER TWO - Mission Impossible

"Okay J'Stimpy." *cough* "get in the simulator" Laflin said as he pointed to the simulator capsule.

"Okay, but who to I fight?" Stimpy asked as he looked at the other holo-simulator in the room.

At that point the door to the other simulator opened an a grizzled Lyran Captain stuck his head out.

"Just get yer fat ass in the simulator bitch!!" he yelled.

A low growl started to come from Stimpy's chest. Upon hearing it the much smaller Lyran just smiled and said "Go ahead, make my day."

"Captain Dizzy!"  Laflin bellowed.  "Quit antagonizing Space Cadet Stimpy and assume your post!"

"Cadet!" Dizzy shot back. "That ain't no cadet, and that ain't no Lyran. I know a paper pushing Mirak when I smell one!"

"Captain!! I swear if you weren't one of the last Lyran commanding officers I swear I'd . . . ."  Laflin caught himself short.  "Just get in the simulator and help us train him."

"Whatever." Dizzy retorted as he pulled his head back in and the door closed.

"Umm fellows." Stimpy stammered.  "I assume you know about the incident when I tried out a Federation simulator."

Mog shuddered visibly.

"The Threste - Mirak Anomaly.  Four years ago the Federation invited yourself, Admiral Mog and Admiral S'Cipio to a conference. At the conference, the three of you plus Commodore Jeff tried the new Federation simulators.  Due to your "skills" Admiral S'Cipio, who was your wingman by the way, was killed.  Or more specifically, killed by you in a simulator where the Friend or Foe protocols should have prevented that.  As a result of the statistical aberration a feedback loop took out the Starbases' entire power grid, resulting in mass destruction, a loss of gravity, and some hideous lavatory issues."   Laflin reported.

"That was cool wasn't it Moggy?"  Stimpy said with a smile.

"We are sooo screwed" Mog said.

"Our safety protocols have been boosted 100 times.  We should be fine."  Laflin said.

"Alright lets get this show on the road." Carson ordered.

Stimpy then wedged his ponderous behind into the simulator and got as comfortable as a NBA center in a Yugo.  He donned his helmet and soon heard Admiral Mog's voice.

"Alright Stimpy."  Mog lectured.  "A Lyran ship is actually very easy to fly in combat.  First you need to set your power priorities."

"What are those?" Stimpy asked.

A stunned Mog replied, "your power priorities.  You know what systems get power first."

"Oh that!!"  Stimpy answered.  "Okay, Drones 1, Drones 2, Drones 3, Drones 4, Drones 5.  This seems silly, but whatever."

"WHAT!" Mog yelled.  "There are no drones on a Lyran ship."

Suddenly the door to the simulator flew up and J'inn started to climb out.   "NO DRONES!!" He grunted. "Are you people crazy?!"

"Get back in there." Carson growled.

"I ain't . . .  My that's a nice disruptor pistol you have there Cub."  Stimpy said as he climbed back in.

"Okay now when you get into battle you do the following" Mog said as the following list appeared in Stimpy's monitor:

STEP 1.   Set power priorities to

1.  Speed
2.  ECM
3.  Weapons
4.  Shields
5. Tractor beams.

STEP 2.  Build SSs ASAP

STEP 3 Set phaser capacitor to ½ to 3/4

"Phaser capacitor?" J'inn stammered. "What the heck is that??"

"It sets the speed power flows to your phasers. You want to slow that up a tad so that your ESG powers up faster."  Mog answered.

"Ugh."  J'inn grunted.

The monitor shifted and showed the following:

For fighting stupid AI captains do the following:

Set ESG to range 1.   If you have two ESG hardpoints set the second one to range 0. This will create a mizia effect.  After the ESGs strike fire your phaser 1s and your disruptors.  Then shut of the disruptors because they suck any ways.  Power that is.  Then run a way.  Wait about an hour or two for the ESGs to recharge and repeat.

"Okay that sounds easy.  But while at distance what long range weapons do I fire?"  J'inn asked.

"Erm there are none." Mog said.

"WHAT!!" J'inn yelled.  "How the heck do you fight Gorn or Roms or Hydrans then!!!"

"Well for Gorn you simply go fast.  But not so fast so that your ESG doesn't charge. But fast.  Keep the range open.  Shift the ESG capacitor to ,75.  Unless you have two then set it to .76. Make sure the phaser capacitor is set to .5.   Well unless it is a Sunday or a Gorn BCH.  Then set it to .67.   But unless there is a nebula nearby then well . . .  I'm sure you understand."   Mog lectured as Laflin and Carson nodded sagely.

"What the heck does Sunday have to do with it!!?"  Stimpy yelled.

"We're screwed." Carson sighed.

"Look Stimpy." Mog growled.  "Concentrate.  Dizzy will have a Mirak MDC+.  You will have a Lyran BCP+, one of our finest ships.   Go get him boy!!"

The simulator started and Stimpy started hitting commands like crazy.

RED Alert.

Power priorities to 1 speed, 2 ECM, 3, weapons, 4 shields, 5 tractor.

Make a SS

Phaser capacitor to .75.  

ECM to 4

Galley Orders: Baked Lyran Stew Please.  Some wine would be nice too.

"J'inn!!!  Erm I mean Stimpy!!"  Mog voice hollered into the intercom.

"Alright alright belay the dinner command." Stimpy stated.

"Erm Moggy, why is my phaser capacitor going past the .75 mark."  Stimpy asked.

"That's the way it works." Mog said.

"That's confusing.  I mean if I set it to .75 shouldn't it stop at .75?"

"The point .75 is the speed of charge not the amount of charge."  Mog stated.

"Then why is the slide on the amount of charge indicator?"  Stimpy asked.

"IT JUST IS!!!" Mog yelled.

"But I need phasers fast!!" Stimpy whined.  "What about all those drones??"

"For drones you just out run them." Mog said.

"But I gotta close to at least 3 to hit with the ESG."   Stimpy said.

"Well true, you just have to time it perfectly in between drone waives.  Plus use your defensive tractors and T-Bombs." Mog said

"No one can time that!!" Stimpy yelled. "Besides I can't T-Bomb if I am closing or else I'll have a downed shild facing him.  Plus that nasty little beast chucks 7 drones at a time and I only have 4 defensive tractors WHICH BTW are making it so I go about as fast as a constipated turtle."

"Use an oblique angle" Mog said.

"HEY no need for nasty language."  Stimpy shot back.

"Don't come head on!"  Mog yelled.

"Then I'll be from behind or broadside and I'll get a drone shower!!" J'inn argued.

"Not if you do this . . ." Mog said as the monitor changed.

1.   Set defensive tractors on full (4)

2. Come in at a slightly oblique angle.

3.  Set Repel tractor to 3.   4 if dealing with Fluf.

4.  Fire up the ESG at about 5.

5. Fire disruptors at range 1.1   NOT 1.0 NOT 1.2.   1.1!!!

6. Slam him with the ESGs.

7.  Dump two SSs on top of him.

8.  Turn off Dizzies.

9.  Turn off any unused defensive tractors.

10.  If you have drones that are tractored that are behind you turn them off as soon as you are going faster than the drones.

11.  Envision one hand clapping.

12. Dump a T-Bomb out the chute on top of him.

13.  Set speed to "MOMMY HELP ME!!"

14. Pray.

15.  Run.

16. T-Bomb him while running away.

17. Start repairs on the systems he fubared.

18.  Wait for weapons to recharge which will require running away at a speed slightly less than well . .   A lot less than what you would like.

19.  Re-enforce (in the unlikely event you have extra power) your rear shield because you now have INCOMING!!!

20.  Hit EM if and only if you don't have any drones in tractor lock.

21.  Say another prayer

22.  Catch up on War and Peace while waiting for ESG to recharge.

23. Say another prayer that you damaged him so bad that he can't chase you fast enough to prevent you from recharging your weapons.

(A serious NOTE.  The above is what I often did and it often worked.  I kept having to pause and clean my chair a lot though.)

"You've got to be kidding me.  That's about 20 serious orders to give in a period of about 3 seconds." J'inn groaned.

"Two point Five Seven to be exact." Mog stated.

"I can't remember to do that!!"  Stimpy yelled.

"Erm, well, that's really good for AI and sometimes the Mirak, Feds and Klingons.  For the other well there are some other charts you need to read.  At that point another document appeared on the monitor that read.

***Page 1 of 5634890***

How to fight a Gorn player in a nebula on a Friday when the moon is full.

Step One: Obtain a carrot and a rabid weasel.

Stimpy stopped reading.

"Alright you guys are yanking me here. There is no way Clamato Boy there can remember all this.  He's toasted most of the time."  Stimpy stated.

"Well, that is the advanced method.  Let stuck with the basics."  Mog said.

"What!?"  Stimpy yelled.

"Erm, Stimpy, Dizzy is getting kinda close."  Laflin pointed out.

"Oh crap!!" Stimpy gasped as he saw the drone wave approaching.

"Okay okay, calm, one hand clapping, disruptors to 75%, ESG to extra crispy, phasers to repeal, tractors to suicide, scream for Mommy, erm, EM to 5, S&M to 3, wait no that's a different kind of ship, ESG range to erm, um, 3 I guess yeah that's biggest must be best."   J'inn said to himself as hit madly hit buttons.

Dizzy's first drone wave was absorbed, sadly the second homed in and . . .

1. Used up all the phasers
2.  Knocked down the ESGs
3. Caused Stimpy to suffer a loss of bladder control systems
4. Knocked down a shield
5. and took out an ESG Hardpoint.  Damage control reported that it would be fixed sometime next January.

"Suck on that beeeatch!"  Dizzy's lovely voice came through the comms system.

"I HATE DRONES!!!" Stimpy yelled and then felt kinda weird.

"Alrighty" J'inn snarled. "Time to do the unexpected.   COMPUTER!!!  T-Bombs aft.  Engage HET 180 degrees.  Prepare to drop suicide shuttles.  Prepare hit and run teams on his drone rack!!. AND fire up that one last ESG!!!"

"Stimpy NO!!!" Mog yelled.  "Premature detonation!"

"Hey!! Watch yer mouth buster" Stimpy yelled.  "I don't premature nothin'!!"

"Not that the T-bombs!!   The your ESG will detonate your own bombs."  Mog yelled.

"Oh Lord!!  T-Bombs!!  J'inn!!  Impossible death scenario!  It's the Federation Station Simulator Catastrophe all over again!!  Shut off the power! For the love of Lyra shut it down!!"

A few moments later Lyra Prime went dark . . . .

- - - - - - -

Well that was a long story just to highlight a point.  I blame Fluf and Starbucks.

Any ways, I flew Lyran for the first time in a campaign.  I loved it.  Okay, I hated it at first and then I loved it.

What makes Lyran tough, here are the notes from my Captain's Log.

- Frigates and Destroyers SUCK beyond all previously know levels of metaphysical suckiness.  I mean the stock ones of course.   This means beginning player get discouraged easy.   At least the Feds have the sanctuary of the FFG.  

- It takes a lot of getting used to not having a long range seeking weapons such as drones or plasma.

- The Lyran BC class ships just plain kick tushie.

- The War Cruisers and some of the advanced DDs are very nice also.

- THE REAL ISSUE.  Flying Lyran requires use of just about every friggin system.  SHEESH!!! That can be a headache.  Using the pre-set function is a must!!

- Gotta get over the fear of drones and plasma.  Just gotta.  Your going to get smacked at least once.

- Always. And I mean always have a repel tractor set up.  Nothing makes the enemy make a stinky in his pants faster than thinking he has a tractor lock on you just to see it bounce back on him as you over run with the ESGs blazing.

- I'm lonely!!!!  No other Lyrans.   I think this has a lot to do with it.  I wish there was a team chat function in the game.  I don't use RW much.

- ARGGGHHH I can't kill anyone in this BCH because they all just run away after they get hurt and I can't catch them and charge at the same time.  GRUMBLE!!!

- Planet assault and station assault just plain SUCK!!!  You try taking out a Gorn base by yourself!!!   Yes, it's doable but hard.

- Heh Heh there is a way to get a 4 ESGs (2 on 2 hardpoints) to fire up ESGs at range 0, 1 2 & 3 all at once. <snicker> Not as effective as the old 2 at 0 and 2 at 1 but it sure looks cool and scares the heck out of people.

- Gosh, I really like Lyran.  Now if they only had drones . . . .

As always, please excuse the typos and poor grammer.  Truth be told, I'm too lazy to proof read. So sue me.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Ishmael VII »

Maxillius

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 12:32:16 am »
that simple, huh?

I think I'll stick to everyone BUT Lyran, thank you.

Cleaven

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 02:53:57 am »
Just one minor correction. I'd rather be starting in early era Lyran and work my way up from a frigate, than be an early era Romulan. Otherwise it's all true, 'cos you are a Klingon without drones and only enough power to fire the ESG once, and that's because you don't start moving until your capacitors are charged.  

Mog

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2003, 03:53:14 am »
Love it

Just to set the record straight, I have not given J'inn any lessons in flying Lyran. Whatever he's achieved, he's done on his own. And does Laflin know I'm an admiral now?

TheMaverick

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 04:19:32 am »
hahaha That was an awesome read Stimpy.

Dizzy

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2003, 04:33:12 am »

Quote:

11.  Envision one hand clapping.

12. Dump a T-Bomb out the chute on top of him.

13.  Set speed to "MOMMY HELP ME!!"

14. Pray.

15.  Run.

16. T-Bomb him while running away.

17. Start repairs on the systems he fubared.

18.  Wait for weapons to recharge which will require running away at a speed slightly less than well . .   A lot less than what you would like.

19.  Re-enforce (in the unlikely event you have extra power) your rear shield because you now have INCOMING!!!

20.  Hit EM if and only if you don't have any drones in tractor lock.

Guity of #20, hehe. Had to list a few of the funny ones... Good list btw...

Quote:

Dizzy's first drone wave was absorbed, sadly the second homed in and . . .

1. Used up all the phasers
2.  Knocked down the ESGs
3. Caused Stimpy to suffer a loss of bladder control systems
4. Knocked down a shield
5. and took out an ESG Hardpoint.  Damage control reported that it would be fixed sometime next January.

"Suck on that beeeatch!"  Dizzy's lovely voice came through the comms system.

Hehe... If flying Mirak is that easy I'd be playing them on a D2. Fact of the matter is that IMO, I find the Mirak more difficult to play than the Lyrans. 2yrs+ on this game and I havent played them on a D2 server yet... I was given too much credit here

Quote:

"Alrighty" J'inn snarled. "Time to do the unexpected.   COMPUTER!!!  T-Bombs aft.  Engage HET 180 degrees.  Prepare to drop suicide shuttles.  Prepare hit and run teams on his drone rack!!. AND fire up that one last ESG!!!"

"Stimpy NO!!!" Mog yelled.  "Premature detonation!"

"Hey!! Watch yer mouth buster" Stimpy yelled.  "I don't premature nothin'!!"

"Not that the T-bombs!!   The your ESG will detonate your own bombs."  Mog yelled.

"Oh Lord!!  T-Bombs!!  J'inn!!  Impossible death scenario!  It's the Federation Station Simulator Catastrophe all over again!!  Shut off the power! For the love of Lyra shut it down!!"

A few moments later Lyra Prime went dark . . . .

hehe

Quote:

"Alright Stimpy."  Mog lectured.  "A Lyran ship is actually very easy to fly in combat.  First you need to set your power priorities."

"What are those?" Stimpy asked.

A stunned Mog replied, "your power priorities.  You know what systems get power first."

"Oh that!!"  Stimpy answered.  "Okay, Drones 1, Drones 2, Drones 3, Drones 4, Drones 5.  This seems silly, but whatever."

"WHAT!" Mog yelled.  "There are no drones on a Lyran ship."

Suddenly the door to the simulator flew up and J'inn started to climb out.   "NO DRONES!!" He grunted. "Are you people crazy?!"

"Get back in there." Carson growled.

"I ain't . . .  My that's a nice disruptor pistol you have there Cub."  Stimpy said as he climbed back in.

The image of J'inn getting out of the simulator like that... I was rofl!!!

Good story.. Halfway thru... just when I began to wonder if my two line appearance was just a cameo, it wasn't... hehe. .  

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2003, 06:51:10 am »

Quote:

I've been thinking about Lyrans. Why are there so few players that fly Lyran? What is it about them?

There are a few reasons you see so few Lyrans. In PvP they have some of the best ships.

1. Their ships are not as adept at destroying bases as other races.

2. They aren't as good looking as the Kzin (but then again, none of the others are either).

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by KOTH-Steel Claw »

Dizzy

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2003, 07:32:22 am »
Did I tell you in the Slave Girls universe... there are a few D7 hulls with drone racks that the Lyrans... er... borrowed?

Yes tis true  

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2003, 07:40:47 am »

Quote:

Did I tell you in the Slave Girls universe... there are a few D7 hulls with drone racks that the Lyrans... er... borrowed?

Kewl.

NuclearWessels

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2003, 08:42:07 am »
LOL - great material Sir Ish of J'stimpinnmaely!
 (Ooops, the VII ... apologies to the senior 6 J'stimpinnmaelies)

Even the planets aren't sooo bad as long as you've got a good book to read and no pressing engagements for the evening.  The thing that still ruins my day is a Hydran carrier in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.   Ah well!

dave

Maxillius

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2003, 09:27:57 am »
Quote:

LOL - great material Sir Ish of J'stimpinnmaely!
 (Ooops, the VII ... apologies to the senior 6 J'stimpinnmaelies)

Even the planets aren't sooo bad as long as you've got a good book to read and no pressing engagements for the evening.  The thing that still ruins my day is a Hydran carrier in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.   Ah well!

dave

<homer simpson on>

MMMM... HELLBORES....

<homer simpson off>

CW-Frankk

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2003, 02:06:53 pm »
Hey Ishmael waits a minute

Stimpy is Jinnif  Oops.... J'inn,  that is  

only curious    

Fluf

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2003, 02:16:59 pm »
SHHHHHHHHHHSH,  Your not supposed to tell them I use a Level 4!  

Great story.  

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2003, 02:17:45 pm »
Quote:

2. They aren't as good looking as the Kzin (but then again, none of the others are either).

That's it Mister, you are officially in the dog house.

Kroma the Beautiful.

Green

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2003, 06:45:28 pm »
Quote:

"Ugh." J'inn grunted.

Pssst ... "Stimpy" ... slight script flaw ...  

Daew Anahos

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2003, 07:00:44 pm »
Damn, Ishmael, that was even more funny then when my Mom mentioned this morning that she was tired of getting those emails that said "Would you like yours bigger?" (isn't spam amazing?)

ROFL to the third power. Or maybe forth.

I sit back in a glorious expection of another iced coffee high.

Cap'n Anahos: GALLEY! Where's that freakin pizza?!?!?!?!

Out.

CubCarson

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2003, 03:17:33 am »
STIMPY!!!
You idiot! You gave away all our secrets!
Now that everyone knows how to fly our ships, they will want to be lyran!
We were unique.. the few, the proud, the race that nobody played. Now we will be rubbing shoulders with the dregs- fluf, dogmatix, dh123, deadman6, etc etc. The frickin' imaginary romulans will probably jump on the bandwagon too! OY!
I sit here, tears of dissapointment dribbling into my beer and clammato (great stuff, not that you barbarians would appreciate it!) awaiting the onrush of lesser beings to the Lyran ranks....

The above was humor
Great writing Stimpy/Ishmael, spit my beer and clam a couple of times.... Bastard!
Of course as punishment you are sentenced to the Martha simulator- (borrowed from the Klinks)- Martha in a leather jumpsuit with knee high stilleto heel boots and a riding crop. Dominating you until you bake perfect sugar cookies, get all the stains out of the carpet with lemon juice and baking soda and make a perpetual motion machine with a pine cone, scotch tape and a cardboard box.

Skawpya

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2003, 08:19:14 am »
for the enemy that wont let you close? what do you think all those phasers are for? that combined with the disrupters give you a fairly decent punch at range 15.9, just make sure to veer off afterwords

Losiack

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2003, 01:59:49 pm »
Quote:

STIMPY!!!
You idiot! You gave away all our secrets!
Now that everyone knows how to fly our ships, they will want to be lyran!
We were unique.. the few, the proud, the race that nobody played. Now we will be rubbing shoulders with the dregs- fluf, dogmatix, dh123, deadman6, etc etc. The frickin' imaginary romulans will probably jump on the bandwagon too! OY!
I sit here, tears of dissapointment dribbling into my beer and clammato (great stuff, not that you barbarians would appreciate it!) awaiting the onrush of lesser beings to the Lyran ranks....

Hey! I almost tried Lyran in Litterbox 3 but I was told that they were also short on Romulan players.

SPQR Losiack

Tao

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2003, 02:03:02 am »
Hey, if someone's doing new ships, what the Lyrans need is a ship with Hellbores, imagine the fun and excitement of lighting off that good old ESG, then firing off the Hellbores. pingpingpingpingping, it'd be just like shooting a gun in a bullet-proof room. Now that would be cool. To watch. As long as it was someone else's ship of course.

Offline Mog

• Lt.
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2004, 04:40:24 am »
A far better tribute to J'inn.
Merriment is All

Fear the Meow!

Offline Mog

• Lt.
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2006, 06:34:40 am »
skaren's talk of going through the old posts here made me do the same, and I found this gem :)
Merriment is All

Fear the Meow!

Offline Maverick

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2006, 03:31:34 pm »
lol, good times. =)

Offline Laflin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 06:54:36 pm »
Smoggy, looks like you're waxing nostalgic in your old age :P.

Offline Mog

• Lt.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006, 06:19:33 am »
Absolutely, passed a fair bit of quiet time at work this week, re-reading the old stuff. I miss the dry wit of Croup and Cleaven, to name a couple.

Assuming my summer trip is a goer, you going to be around end of June this time?
Merriment is All

Fear the Meow!

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2006, 06:26:58 am »
Croup and Cleaven are definately missed.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2006, 09:38:45 pm »
I know I've missed seeing J'inn's furry butt on these boards of late.  What's he up to?
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2006, 09:45:35 pm »
I know I've missed seeing J'inn's furry butt on these boards of late.  What's he up to?

Well at least you didn't say you missed Kroma's furry butt    ;D

Offline Laflin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2006, 11:37:57 pm »
Absolutely, passed a fair bit of quiet time at work this week, re-reading the old stuff. I miss the dry wit of Croup and Cleaven, to name a couple.

Assuming my summer trip is a goer, you going to be around end of June this time?

Damn!  Unfortunately I'll be spending my time playing Army right around then :(.

Offline Mog

• Lt.
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 05:38:21 pm »
Forgive me but the nostalgia this story brings is well worth a bump for any new people to enjoy.
Merriment is All

Fear the Meow!

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 05:43:09 pm »

heya moggy!

:thumbsup:

dave

Offline FVA_C_ Blade_ XC

• Forum Czar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Yep,I did it.
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 10:22:45 am »
Moggy!

You Bastich! ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:33:18 am by FVA_C_Blade_XC »
FVA_C_Blade_XC
XenoCorp Fleet Operations
www.xenocorp.net
ISC Race Moderator
Visioneer
S.S.Blade

See Wade,See Wade post like an arse,See Wade get banned.
Dont be a Wade!

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 01:38:24 am »
Howdy Mog.I still got that ---- you sent to me.

Offline KAT J'inn

• CFO - Kzinti War Machine, Inc.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 03:54:46 pm »
Okay this is creepy.   I was reading that and wondering why it seemed so familiar.   And then it hit me . . . .

Golly I used to have a lot of free time.    :-\

Wish I still did.

OH AND BY THE WAY!!!   Those posts that make it sound like I am dead . . .  Well I am not!!  I don't even smell dead and . .  <sniff> <sniff>  hmmm.

Well I'm not dead!!

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 05:42:43 pm »

'Ere then,  'E says he's not dead ...

Offline Mog

• Lt.
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2009, 05:25:42 am »
I know,he's geting better yeah?
Merriment is All

Fear the Meow!

Offline Sten

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 12:12:52 pm »
That brings back memories. Like when Hexx tried to tractor my 11 year old daughter into an asteroid. She asked me what she should do so I told your ship is bigger tractor him and push him into an asteroid. Poor Hexx.

Offline bbjones

• Ensign
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 08:59:54 pm »
Roar.  Add one more Lyran to the pile...

Offline Ibn'aar

• "The sky is never darker than in Nightstar..."
  • Ensign
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2010, 11:01:31 pm »
Geez, all kinds of lost souls are coming out of the woodwork.  ;)

Ishmael for President!  He is a lawyer after all. <snicker>
-Zarkat (Captain) Ibn'aar, 3rd Son of Count Iblis of Nightstar, Commanding Officer of the Nightstar County Ship Slashing Star-

-Assigned to patrol the reaches of Far Stars / Diplomatic and Covert Operations / Tears of the Fallen / Wanderer of Nightstar-

Offline Strayy

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Strayy's Tavern
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 02:31:03 am »
Last of ???   Gotta stop in the Tavern... the Lyrans are really expanding their litterbox  !!!   :D

Admiral Strayy
    Chief cook & bottle washer of Strayy's Tavern
     http://tavern.paulsbeercrew.com

Offline Laflin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 10:09:45 pm »
Holy Crap, it's the Attack of the Geriatrics!  Moggy, Sten AND BBJ still drawing breath?!  Amazing!!!  If you add their ages together, you get a 4 digit number!  You go, Team Geritol!  :angel:  We won't even speak of He Who Cannot Be Named (I'll just go with Furry Bastage)  :knuppel2:

Offline Mog

• Lt.
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 02:05:42 am »
Lol. Nice to see you are still alive  :)
Merriment is All

Fear the Meow!

Offline Laflin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 03:50:20 am »
I just got back from my second Vacation in Mesopotamia - just as crappy as I remembered it from the first time.  Ah, well, I can always look forward to Kandahar and Kabul in the summer. :)  I can't wait!