Topic: SFC3 MACRO UTILITY v0.9 READY!  (Read 17196 times)

Vertigo

Re: Version 1.0 has been released!
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2003, 12:07:07 am »
Quote:

Guess what?  I figured out what was happening!

I reinstalled the game, so the INTRO MOVIES started playing on startup again!  I had previously deleted them.

So, your program is polling for screen resolution WHILE THE MOVIES ARE PLAYING.  Wow, I can't believe I figured it out.  My head hurts now.

And now that I've deleted the intro movies, everything works great, as advertised.  (Until I find the next bug, of course! )

Even the new energy commands? They work too?

AH!  The fog lifts.  I deleted the movies long ago, and it never occured to me that it could be a problem.  Unfortunately, there is no "elegant" way to work around this problem.  I'll have to hack something up.  I've got an idea on how to fix it.

The LOG also explains the "=" errors.  In an INI file, any line that starts with a semicolon is supposed to be a comment, and is supposed to be ignored.  The API calls filter this for you.  At least, they are supposed to.  I'm using Win2K, which does the right thing.  What OS are you using?  Anway, that's a dirt easy fix.  I'll just check for the semicolon manually.

I have an idea.  The next time I ask for a log, just PM it to me  

Tulmahk

« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2003, 12:47:31 am »
Yes my friend, the power settings are working perfectly!

My operating system is Windows 98 SE.

In future, I'll PM them to you, in order to spare everyone the gory details (no pass on this one for you, I'm afraid! )

That one was the hardest puzzle with the easiest solution, wasn't it?

I like the rules you've established on using the utility in multiplayer.  If anyone asks, of course I'll tell them I'm using it, and I'll even provide a link they can get it from.  I don't know what I'll do if they ask that I not use it.  Maybe if they are in a smaller/equal ship I'll honor the request, and if their ship outclasses mine, tough noogies.  All subject to server rules, of course.

And I'm toying with the idea of starting each new pvp with "Powered by SFC3 Macro" chatted out to them.  Up to them to figure it out, as far as I'm concerned, other than as I said above.  Of course if I lose, that'll make the utility look bad, which is why I shy away from this option (I don't want my bad play messing up the reputation of your fine software).

Though I must say this does provide somewhat of an advantage, if you come up against someone whose tactics are superior, this utility isn't going to make a difference.  It helps you with a kludgy interface, it does nothing to make you a better player.  No Server Pixie Dust here, just handiness up the yin-yang.

I'm here to help, as always...  

SirWilliam

« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2003, 12:59:26 am »
Quote:

I don't know what I'll do if they ask that I not use it.  Maybe if they are in a smaller/equal ship I'll honor the request, and if their ship outclasses mine, tough noogies.  All subject to server rules, of course.

I don't have this utility yet.  That said, I would have no reservations about using it freely since anyone else can get it.  As a rule (with occasional tactical exceptions) I do not kill human-piloted ships which my own ship far outrates, as neither, I suspect, do you; hence using it in battle against a far outgunned opponent would not be an issue. However I am impressed by your chivalry, Sir.  When/if I start using this, I will emulate your honorable example and advise others on how to obtain it.

Qa'pla!

Sir William    

Vertigo

« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2003, 01:43:37 am »
I can' t tell you how happy I am that the silly thing works.  There is always a seed of doubt until someone else tries it.

For the record, Tulmahk is referring to an paragraph I put in the README.  Here's what I said:

---------- snip ------------
Macro Etiquette
It is always debatable whether using a utility like this constitutes ?cheating.?  It is my opinion that this specific utility, in this specific case, only adds features that should have been present anyway.  Therefore I do not consider it cheating to use on D3 or other non-money environments.  However, if you use this utility I ask you heed these rules of Etiquette:

1) If asked, always affirm you are using this utility.  Do not evade the question.
2) If asked to stop using the utility during a match, you must agree.
3) To be extra polite, chat to your opponents at the beginning of a match that you are using a utility.
4) If part of a Fleet, make sure that the utility is allowed under Fleet charter.
5) If convenient, always ask/inform the server admin about the utility.
---------- snip ------------

Chivalry, Politeness, these things make an online community worthwhile.  That, or trashtalking and telefragging.  Depends on the community.    

That remindes me, I gotta join a Fleet one of these days.  Tulmahk, any good SFC3 Rom Fleets running around right now?

Tulmahk

« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2003, 02:57:35 am »
Some say the mythic SPQR is the best Romulan fleet, but I can neither confirm nor deny their existance.  I'm a lone wolf myself; my views on fleets in SFC is starting to become infamous.

The ones I would recommend:

KOTH
KAT
TAG

And maybe, just maybe SSCF (though I'm still uncertain about them).  KOTH seems to fly a lot of Romulan, TAG would seem to be mostly Klingon/Fed.  KAT, I don't know.  They fly Lyran in D2, I believe.

I'll add, without comment, that I do not currently recommend FSF.  

Cocomoe

« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2003, 07:21:04 am »
  GFL has a decent size Romulan contingent.  Or any race for that matter.

Take a look around, I ' authorize you as a honored guest.
  (Sound nice eh, but I do that for any non-gfl'er that wants to post on the forums.)

Cocomoe

SghnDubh

« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2003, 11:04:42 am »

Now on BattleClinic. Sorry for the delay.

Check the "analysis" section.

Vertigo

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2003, 03:05:38 am »
OK, the bug with the intro messing up stuff is fixed.  It's easy to work around anyway.  Just click past the intros, instead of pressing a key.  As long as you don't press a key before the main menu, you are all set.

I'm going to fix the "=" problem too, that's a one line fix.  

However, I've got in-law duty this weekend, so I might not issue a release until Sunday night.

Other than Tulmahk, my greatest fan , has anyone else even downloaded this util?  Does it work?  I can see the "views" column, I know you are out there.  

Tulmahk

« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2003, 06:40:04 pm »
Nevermind the views column, that's just me!  

Would anyone else really come to this godforsaken thread?  Not if they wanted to retain their sanity.

Especailly after my infamous log post.  I challenge ANYONE (SgnhDubh, that means you!) to read that entire thing and not go on medication afterwords.  

Keep up the good work, BTW.  I'm making a bug list and checking it twice...  

P.S.  I am your #1 fan Vertigo.  Care to have a car wreck in front of my house sometime?    Just remember my penguin figurine always points to the SOUTH not north...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2003, 06:43:29 pm by Tulmahk »

Cocomoe

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2003, 09:34:11 am »
  1.01 is uploaed at www.gfluniverse.net/downloads  
 It should fix the thins you posted Tulmahk.  According to Sam's e-mail./

Vertigo

« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2003, 08:58:25 pm »
Quote:

P.S.  I am your #1 fan Vertigo.  Care to have a car wreck in front of my house sometime?    Just remember my penguin figurine always points to the SOUTH not north...

A truly creepy book/movie.  

Subspace

Re: SFC3Macro v093 READY!
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2003, 11:18:11 pm »
Nice !!      

CptCastrin

« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2003, 11:58:36 am »
Having come into to this late excuse my ignorance but has anyone thought to tie the controls to a joy stick? That would free up a lot of keys on the keyboard.

Looks really cool either way. Great work Vertigo. If you need a fourth (fifth?) host for the file send me a PM of email me directly and we'll put it up at SFCx.org. In the mean time I've put up a news article and uploaded the curent version to www.sfcx.org .

Keep it up!        

Vertigo

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2003, 03:52:02 pm »
Quote:

Having come into to this late excuse my ignorance but has anyone thought to tie the controls to a joy stick? That would free up a lot of keys on the keyboard.

Looks really cool either way. Great work Vertigo. If you need a fourth (fifth?) host for the file send me a PM of email me directly and we'll put it up at SFCx.org. In the mean time I've put up a news article and uploaded the curent version to www.sfcx.org .

Keep it up!        

Implementing a joystick never occured to me.  Unfortunately, implementing a joystick properly is a tremendous pain, DirectInput isn't exactly elegant.  Also, the existing utility would require some serious re-work to accept the code properly.  So, sorry, I think I'm going to have to say no for now.  However, thanks for the suggestion!

I love SFCX, BTW.  Great site!  

Vertigo

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2003, 04:07:52 pm »
OK, I think this thread should be retired.  It's kind of a mess to wade through.  Therefore, I've opened a new thread at:

http://208.57.228.4/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=19380

The opening post also does a better job of explaining what SFC3Macro does.  

zaniwhoop2

« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2003, 11:20:12 pm »
Quote:

Implementing a joystick never occured to me.  Unfortunately, implementing a joystick properly is a tremendous pain, DirectInput isn't exactly elegant.  Also, the existing utility would require some serious re-work to accept the code properly.  So, sorry, I think I'm going to have to say no for now.  However, thanks for the suggestion!

I see a use for my skills...that is if you want it. I have dealt with a joystick specifally (I never have mine plugged in), but it's not too different from a mouse or keyboard (thanks to DirectInput for that). I also had a little work done for an out-of-game GUI for the utility that lets you set hotkeys, but I don't know if that's still in demand.