Topic: SFC2 & Orion Pirates....  (Read 12812 times)

Cleaven

Re: SFC2 & Orion Pirates....
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2003, 10:20:39 pm »
Things to do with a new EAW install:

- point the icon that starts the program at starfleet2.exe instead of sfc2.exe so that you avoid the intro movie and associated graphics problems.

- latest patch version is 2036. Download from www.sfcx.org or www.xenocorp.net or www.strategyplanet.com/sfc/
 (Interplay won't have the most recent Taldren patch).

- get a Gamespy Arcade account for Dynaverse access.

- download from one of the above sites a program called EzIni.exe for changing your sfc.ini files and use it to enable your volley information, set admiral level, and change screen resolution.

Other useful program is Shipedit so you can view the ships outside of the game.

Post again once you have achieved the first stage of enlightenment.  

Same thing applies for OP but add the OP directory into the Start In entry in the properties of the OP icon.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 05:01:24 am by Cleaven »

Morath

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2003, 08:04:27 am »
Strangely enough I have already done pretty much everything you have mentioned.  The only exception is modding the sfc.ini with EZIni.  I even had that downloaded.  I will try modding that after I get home from work today.  Im not really sure what you mean about volley info though.  For now I am just trying to get the single player to work.  The prob starts not with the opening graphics but when I start starfleet2.exe.  It immediatly kicks me out to the desktop.  I am on patch 2036.  What really concerns me is that it happens with Orion Pirates the same identical way.  I know that Orion Pirates works cause it did on another computer.  SFC3 works fine on my machine.  I am really baffled here.  I have tried safe mode, turning down my sound and vid card to very basic levels and also running in different compatibility modes.

Thx a million for the advice and any other ideas I will gladly try.    
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 08:05:54 am by Morath »

Cleaven

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2003, 08:57:53 am »
The easiest guess I can make is that there is a problem with your video driver. You have a pretty new card. Maybe somebody else can place it. You don't mention the sound card. Do you hear the music on start up. That may be the problem instead.  

Morath

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2003, 09:24:58 am »
Yep I too believe it is the vid card.  The sound works fine in startup.  It is a sound blaster Audigy.  Not the latest one but the second latest one.  I tried swapping with an older Geforce card, but I forget it was defective.   I really had fun with this game over my vacation up in indiana.  I suppose I could buy a cheap Vid card that is more basic or older.  I would hate to do that though and have it not work.  Anyway thx.  You confirmed some of my thoughts on the matter and gave me some new ones to think about...  

Cleaven

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2003, 04:23:41 pm »
I wouldn't think you need to replace the graphics card, as long as it is functioning correctly. It will just be the drivers. Try an older version, or the original version or even the default windows drivers. This could well confirm it is the drivers you currently have which is the problem.  

Morath

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2003, 05:56:28 pm »
Well it is not the vid card.  I just tried a older nvidia.  I disabled the sound too.  It has got to be some config problem.  Did I see someone say something about DMi or DMA settings or is there some bios setting  or anything else anyone can think of?

Gosh, this fries my bacon....lol.......  

Cleaven

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2003, 07:01:41 am »
Just a thought from a prompt from another thread. Try a different screen resolution and colour depth.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Cleaven »

Morath

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2003, 07:38:32 am »
Yep, done that as well.  Ok this is gonna sound extreme but here is what I am going to do.  I have an old box p3 700.  The vid card is a pci nvidia g4 64mg.  Im gonna rebuilt the old machine.  Ive been looking for an excuse anyway to rebuild it.  I have all the parts.  On goes win 98 for my legacy games.  That should take care of it.  That will give me KA, Armada 1 Quake 2, Sfc2 and SfcOP.  Hehe, I have too much free time....lol  

T-Rex_IEA

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2003, 08:35:15 am »
I have had this problem with my win2000 machine but not with XP.

I had to modify the sfc.ini file to get it to work.
change the line :

wireframe=0

to

wireframe=1

That resolved my problems for both games.
I got the fix from a friend of mine that programs for Microsoft.

Good luck.    

Morath

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2003, 09:25:55 am »
I hate to say this but I hope it dont work...  I just fought all weekend with an older machine running win 98.  I got them running on there.  Now your gonna go and let me run it on my good machine and all that work was for not.....hehehe

Well not really cause I have some other games that need the old box.... Thx I will try it tonight..