Topic: Romulan battlecruiser WIP (FKA D'Xorac)  (Read 10334 times)

Captain KoraH

Romulan battlecruiser WIP (FKA D'Xorac)
« on: July 16, 2003, 07:01:57 pm »
With the help of TheBigCheese the BaQ is well on it's way to completion, so to honor my word, the next ship I'll make is a Romulan battlecruiser, the D'Xorac...

EDIT: Changed to links for the "image impared"

http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP3.jpg
http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP4.jpg

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Captain KoraH »

Smiley

Re: Nightsoft Romulan D'Xorac VERY early WIP's
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:12:49 pm »
Tis a pity that Nightsoft is down atm, I was looking forward to seeing this!

Marauth

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 09:02:11 pm »
Indeed it looks very classy, kinda reminds me of Thu11s' Firehawk but more TNG. What era is she? And what's the polycount on her at the mo'?

Captain KoraH

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 12:14:58 am »
Raven usually makes up all the in game data for the ships, but I'd say this one is somewhere between TMP and TNG. Remember this is a very early WIP, the poly count is 810 right now. I think I'm going to have to get creative with the underside of this one. No visible nacelles.  

TheBigCheese

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 02:26:49 am »
OOOO nice

Will I get to texture it  

starforce2

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 05:31:35 am »
Quote:

Tis a pity that Nightsoft is down atm, I was looking forward to seeing this!  

seems lately that site goes down more often than I change my underware...

Reverend

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 09:04:54 am »
once a week is still pretty bad- LOL! Just kidding...:)  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 11:58:22 am »
Heh looks like it's down right now.

Cheese if you want you can texture this one too. I'll post another WIP now, but it can't be seen until Nightsoft comes back up again :P

She's up to 985 polys

http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP5.jpg
http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP6.jpg
http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP7.jpg

TheBigCheese

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 01:54:33 pm »
Cool

send it me when you're done  

Oh and check your mail
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TheBigCheese »

Raven Night

Re: Nightsoft Romulan D'Xorac WIP's
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 02:04:36 pm »
The last three pics are not on the server. I am posting a link to the changes I am looking for in this model compared with the current model.........i realize it is a wip, and I hope this is good timing to make changes.

Oh, and on the Baq, the nacelle glows are green, and the shade of the ship is slighly lighter than the current shade.

Here is the pic of the dxorac with my notes.......i can make facing drawings if I have to, or you can send me the model to play with.

TheBigCheese

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 02:32:08 pm »
Thats a beautiful design  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 05:05:15 pm »
Several days ago I asked for more info about this ship but I never got a reply, so I decided to wing it. I have plans to add struts from the head to the body already anyway, but the way you describe the bottom wing, it sounds like this ship is pretty much just a revamped Warbird, which is dissapointing. I may just finish this model as-is and call it something else, as I have no interest in doing yet another Warbird spinoff. I pictured this ship as somethign different... oh well, [censored] happens I guess. No harm done Raven.  

Raven Night

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 07:16:33 pm »
?

Ok, I am guessing that you did not like the changes. I suppose aside from the nacelles in the wing spears anything else is negotiable. Do what you may and let's see how it looks.

Looking at your progress sofar, I can see where you are going. Just make the main body slimmer, and do with the bottom what you will. All I ask is that the nacelles are in the wingtip spears as shown, and that that is the only place that the wings touch. What you do with the rest of the body is your perogative........remember, I can always play with the mesh when you are done, like I did with the BaQ.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raven Night »

Captain KoraH

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2003, 12:12:36 am »
You have every right to get your ships exactly the way you want them, don't let me take away from that. I just had a different impression of this ship based on the drawing. I really like the wingtip nacelles though, that's pretty clever. I'll go ahead and finish this one for the experience of it. I've got other Nightsoft models that I plan to work on. I think I'll try one of the Tholians next.

Hey Cheese, how'd you like to texture a Tholian?  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 10:08:51 am by Captain KoraH »

Reverend

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2003, 12:47:24 pm »
Keep us posted, Cap'n Korah!  

TheBigCheese

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2003, 01:13:16 pm »
Tholian, that should be easy  

Kaenyne

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2003, 01:50:08 pm »
Yeah, more WIPs PLEASE!

I'm excited about this one and the Klingon you're making!

manitoba

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2003, 03:37:06 pm »
Quote:

The last three pics are not on the server. I am posting a link to the changes I am looking for in this model compared with the current model.........i realize it is a wip, and I hope this is good timing to make changes.

Oh, and on the Baq, the nacelle glows are green, and the shade of the ship is slighly lighter than the current shade.

Here is the pic of the dxorac with my notes.......i can make facing drawings if I have to, or you can send me the model to play with.

if its at all possible wonder if i can get an untextured one of these and modify it. its close to the romulan heavy battlecruiser i was attempting to do.  since i really suck still at making ships from scratch i would very greatly appreciate it alot. and i will include neccesary credits too u also.  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2003, 07:13:36 pm »
I'll let you have a copy of the mesh when it's done Manitoba.

Here are the latest WIP's

starforce2

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2003, 02:38:58 am »
you know, this would fit well with the thulls/atra/ganymead firehawk. Raven, perhaps you should do a version textured in that theme too...

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2003, 06:30:55 am »
Quote:

I think I'll try one of the Tholians next.

Hey Cheese, how'd you like to texture a Tholian?    

Captain KoraH,

What do you have in mind for the Tholians?

The Tholians could use a new TMP era battlestation...

Qapla!

KF

Captain KoraH

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2003, 11:55:40 am »
My first Tholian will probably be a ship, either a Battlecruiser or a Dreadnaught, not sure from the drawings.  

Reverend

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2003, 03:05:04 pm »
Looking tough, O Captain, my Captain.  

manitoba

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2003, 03:33:06 pm »
sweet thanks alot. i really do appreciate it alot thanxs so much

Captain KoraH

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2003, 02:55:23 pm »
Ok I tried my ideas and after seeing them in reality, I actually liked the Warbird knockoff idea better  hehe. Just goes to show you that while an open mind is good, ut should work both ways. You never know when something you don't like at first may grow on you.

So, without further ado, here are the latest WIP's.

DookeyKing

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2003, 09:56:21 am »
I think that the underslung wing looks good and makes sense structurally.  It certainly, IMO, doesn't come off as a warbird knockoff.  This design is FAR more elegant than the warbird.  The only thing that is throwing things off alittle bit for me are the supports that run from the head to the underwing.  I don't know if it is their shape or what, but they seem strange to me.  Maybe something less rounded might look a little better.  I hope that my comments there come across as constructive( cuz that's how I intended them  =)  ).  She's shaping up beautifully Captain and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks,
Scott

Anthony_Scott

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2003, 01:03:15 pm »
Very nice...one of the prettiest Rom ships in quite some time!

Alexander1701

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2003, 02:34:24 pm »
  Yeah, its great to see a return to the Raptor school of Romulan design... way too many people focus on making a ship 'scary' and lose that Romulan feel.

Those supports look too klingon. Maybe if you removed the sudden size changes and had something of a more gradual tappering?

Alexander

Captain KoraH

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2003, 03:05:43 pm »
Ok folks, lets have a look at the final product. I'm going to post these as links instead of images because there's complete views from every angle. I'll be sending the mesh, already sized for SFC3 to TheBigCheese for texturing today, but he's had a lot of RL stuff to do so he might not get to it for some time. Anyway, I think I agree about the gantry struts, but I think it breaks up the flowing outlines of the wings along the axis of the ship, so it sort of draws your eye to the center, which is a good thing. They are not the only angular structure on this ship now either, so perhaps they fit a bit better now.

http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP14.jpg
http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP15.jpg
http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP16.jpg
http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP17.jpg
http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP18.jpg
http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/WIP19.jpg

Reverend

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2003, 03:30:38 pm »
I agree with Alexander, it could have a tapering... but its geat already... as far as scary looking, I'll get sick if I have too look at anymore Taldren-looking Romulan ships... the Rihannasu came across to me as people who would desire predatory-looking vessels... nothing avian looking about a bunch of green blocks- thats Klingon design style.
Great work Capt Korh, we needed another Romulan vessel.. dont suppose you'd be interested in doing a P'vor someday?

TheBigCheese

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2003, 05:40:45 pm »
Quote:

Ok folks, lets have a look at the final product. I'm going to post these as links instead of images because there's complete views from every angle. I'll be sending the mesh, already sized for SFC3 to TheBigCheese for texturing today, but he's had a lot of RL stuff to do so he might not get to it for some time. Anyway, I think I agree about the gantry struts, but I think it breaks up the flowing outlines of the wings along the axis of the ship, so it sort of draws your eye to the center, which is a good thing. They are not the only angular structure on this ship now either, so perhaps they fit a bit better now.

Cant wait    

then again yahoo mail is so slow I might have to
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 05:59:33 pm by TheBigCheese »

manitoba

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2003, 05:45:57 pm »
me too me too. cant wait for it to get here. lol .    

Captain KoraH

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2003, 06:09:45 pm »
Cheese, send me an email, I lost your address. I'll reply with the model attached. Would it help if I sent it to you in .max format with the various objects seperated already?  

TheBigCheese

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2003, 06:47:44 pm »
I just sent you something anyway  

and max format is fine with me  

Raven Night

Re: Romulan battlecruiser WIP (FKA D'Xorac)
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2003, 08:42:02 pm »
If I am guessing correctly, you meant the PKor, shown below in the link.........

http://www.nightsoftware.com/images/Concepts/Romulan/PKor1.jpg

I am hoping to convince him to work on this one before he moves on to the cardies. I can see I am going to have to unfurl my checkbook soon lol. Great job on this one, it looks fantastic. I am glad you approached the changes with an open mind.

manitoba

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2003, 10:18:28 pm »
hope u didnt forget me. and hope fully u wont mind a little modifying it a little and i do appreciate it.

TheBigCheese

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2003, 02:56:04 am »
the_big_cheese_uk2002@yahoo.co.uk    

just incase you dont know my email yet Korah.

if you click my name on the forums it gives it you in my profile

Captain KoraH

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2003, 07:26:30 am »
Manitoba, you never gave me your email address and you didnt post one on your profile.  

manitoba

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2003, 04:58:07 pm »
sorry bout that  heehhe  i was so excited i forgot that little bit of information.  its

manitoba1073@email.com

sorry again

manitoba

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2003, 05:59:36 pm »
heres a general idea of how the shape will be and thanxs for emailing it to me again

http://66.117.8.3/showthread.php?s=&postid=638224#post638224

Reverend

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2003, 10:12:46 pm »
Bump for update?  

manitoba

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2003, 10:25:01 pm »
Quote:

Manitoba, you never gave me your email address and you didnt post one on your profile.  

heres a pix of the modification i did of it. hope u like it

http://66.117.8.3/showthread.php?s=&postid=638464#post638464

Captain KoraH

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2003, 10:43:06 am »
It's uh,  interesting!  I'm glad you're having fun with it! Are you going to do some textures for your new version?

TheBigCheese

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2003, 11:07:39 am »
Quote:

Bump for update?  

hold on I just got it

be patient    

manitoba

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2003, 03:23:06 pm »
yeah im going to be trying textures i have the whole pix in my head. its just getting them on paper. lol

Raven Night

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2003, 06:39:10 pm »
Ok, you guys may kill me, but I made some changes to the mesh. I imported the model into max and tweaked it a bit. I could not move the ventral wingtips forward to create the warp nacelle area I wanted in the wingtips, but I was able to narrow the nose a bit and lower the hump on the back, as well as move up the belly a bit. The link to the new model is attached.....it is in max format.

Dxorac mesh

I hope you like the changes. I think the ship looks much sleeker than before.  

manitoba

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2003, 06:45:11 pm »
Quote:

Ok, you guys may kill me, but I made some changes to the mesh. I imported the model into max and tweaked it a bit. I could not move the ventral wingtips forward to create the warp nacelle area I wanted in the wingtips, but I was able to narrow the nose a bit and lower the hump on the back, as well as move up the belly a bit. The link to the new model is attached.....it is in max format.

Dxorac mesh

not at all. its just perfect for me to modify as it was. just a biatch for me to get my textures to get on the damn thing. but its fine just the right size and everything if u saw the post i put of it on

http://66.117.8.3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68152&perpage=25&pagenumber=8

and if not here it is again

Captain KoraH

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2003, 11:17:27 pm »
No prob at all Raven, please feel free to modify my models as you see fit.  

Reverend

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2003, 10:10:17 am »
bump for progress?  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2003, 11:55:55 am »
Hey Raven, I can't open the .max file, it's missing a DLL. If you could post the link in .mod format everyone would be able to use it too.  

TheBigCheese

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2003, 02:57:40 am »
Quote:

Dxorac mesh

Could you please send it to me raven as work on the previous model was difficult because of diffrences between your drawing and the model

TheBigCheese

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2003, 03:01:15 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Dxorac mesh

Could you please send it to me raven as work on the previous model was difficult because of diffrences between your drawing and the model

also front side rear top bottom schematics would help as I want to get this model perfect.
Also any specific colour scheme you had in mind or texture pattern.  

TheBigCheese

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2003, 10:55:25 am »
Been trying to mail you Raven but keep getting failure delivery  

and could you give me some detailed drawings of the warp naccelles you want changing

Captain KoraH

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2003, 02:38:36 pm »
You might have to wing it a little, as Raven is sometimes gone for a while. I think the included drawing is the only one there is of this ship.  

Raven Night

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2003, 11:03:53 pm »
I am sorry........i will post an SFC version, or provide what you need to import the file. We use Max 5 for our models, so maybe that is the problem.

As far as textures, it is best to make a texture set and then let me tweak it. I am much better at that than dictating textures.

Sorry about the delay.

TheBigCheese

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2003, 02:32:41 am »
Ok thanks ,

any chance of some more schematics though  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2003, 01:20:41 pm »
Bump for texture news

TheBigCheese

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2003, 02:55:18 pm »
I have done zero on it so far ,as what I have done is without proper schematics and I am not happy with it

the warp nacelles need some work as they look to thin

If Raven wants this done I need more input from him first

Texturing is so difficult I need all the help I can get.

The BaQ was easy due to the different views though I still do not know what the underneath looks like  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2003, 06:36:51 pm »
Well part of being an artist of this kind is that sometimes you have to just make stuff up. Don't think of it as a problem, think of it as your opportunity to add something of your own to the model. Your own mark on the model, that can be however you imagine it (within reason of course). I've had to do that with these ships a lot, because even with the BaQ ther were many parts of the side drawing that didn't match the top view, and vice versa, and there was nothing showing the bottom of the ship at all! I just had to imagine what it might look like and make it that way. This is your opportunity to do the same.

As far as the nacelles being too thin, don't worry about it. They are not supposed to be very thick. They are an all new type of nacelle that is built into the wings and ultra-thin. Just do with them what you think they should look like within the canvas of the model. I really think you should put some of your own imagination into it, you might be surprised how good it can look.  

Raven Night

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2003, 09:37:53 pm »
Here is what I can do, but before I do, I would like to reiterate what Korah said........that you have artistic licence. I like to grab the model and the textures and tweak them a bit to bring some of my image of the model into it, but mostly it is your masterpiece .

I will make some drawings using the actual model to show the changes I would like. They are not required, but I would appreciate it if they are made. I will post the changes within the next few days.

As to the textures, I suggest you use the Warbird as a reference. Same hue, same whiteish soft weathering on panels and streaking, I have warbird ref pics if you want to look at them. I can play with the finished set a bit to add my touch if you do not mind.

Raven Night

« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2003, 12:36:32 am »
Alright, here are a few links for you guys.........

Here is the link to the pic that shows the desired changes for the Dxorac.....

needed changes

.....and here is the link to the 4 engine quvhegh, in both mod and max format, and the dxorac in max and mod as well.

quvhegh file

I hope this is what you guys needed.

TheBigCheese

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2003, 02:09:06 am »
Thanks Raven,

The trouble I have been having is due to your picture being so damn good, I dont want to balls it up by straying away from your concept

My first Dxorac model textures looked similar to the Osprey in TNZ mod
but I will try your Warbird suggestion now  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2003, 12:48:08 pm »
I'll make the change to the D'Xorac you want, it seems pretty simple. That model was NOT easy to make, and I used a lot of Max features I've never used before to do it, as well as having hand-meshed nearly every single triangle on the entire ship, so I'm particular about any changes that get made. As for the Quv'Hegh, I know the original drawing had 4 of the winglike structures with Nacelles on them, but I have to say that it really doesn't look as good. An X-Wing doesn't belong in the Klingon Navy, it just looks strange. With just the dorsal ones, it resembles the Scimitar somewhat, which is why I made it a super-battleship in the TNZ mod. I'll whip up two seperate versions and we can include them both in one download so people can use whichever they like best.  

Raven Night

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2003, 12:48:17 pm »
The good thing about basing them on the current warbird is that it makes it very easy to texture........just look at the bop from enterprise, it is using the same soft bright green with airbrush that the DDeridex has. Then all is needed is some slightly darker detail lines to spice it up a bit, and you have a convincing set of textures. I can easilly add the details.

Raven Night

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2003, 12:53:36 pm »
I am prepared to buy both, as I like the look of both models, my original and your modification. I can distribute and use the 4 nacelle version as a high speed version, the two nacelle version as a high armor assault ship. I will adjust the textures slightly to make the ships look different.

You did a great job on the Dxorac........if you can get with me on msn, perhaps you can school me on a few max techniques so I can help. I am learning as I go.

TheBigCheese

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2003, 12:59:54 pm »
Check your mail Korah I sent you a pic of the Dxorac using Ravens idea of warbird type texturing, It looks better than my first prototype.

I have not been able to put the time I would have liked over the past week as I have been doing finishing work for the new Combat mission BB special edition ( out in October ) CCMOS project.I am freed up from that now though  

Raven Night

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2003, 01:00:20 pm »
Sorry about the multiple posts lol........I am trying to make sure I am more involved in the development of these designs.

Here is another pic to show the original intent of the wing tip nacelles.

2nd example pic  

Raven Night

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2003, 01:05:10 pm »
One thing I would like to ask guys........first is that I have to create polygons, then select a section I wish to make a group, then change or alter that group. I do not know how to return the model to a solid object however.

Second, I need to know how I can render to the color of the mesh object. I change the color to a green hue, but when I render it remains grey. My only choice is to remove the blue and red in the rgb, which then makes the pic bright green. I would like to know how to get the render to match the object color that I set, instead of grey.

One last thing.........I dont know if you model as a solid object, or if you make sections and join them together. I can help more easilly if you make the models in sections so I can tweak them.

The Dxorac mesh was altered slightly.........I lowered the height of the body a bit, and leaned it out to create a more pass through feel inside the wing. I did not however modifiy the other model, with the exception of the added nacelles on the bottom.

I would like to modify the Dxorac a little bit more if you would not strangle me lol. I know it was a difficult model. It is definitely a masterpiece.

Thats it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raven Night »

TheBigCheese

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2003, 01:11:26 pm »
My advice is to get a BIG thick book on studio max because the manual sucks,
you will not regret it

p.s.

work in starfleet command format ,I find it makes life a lot easier.
do the model element by element , export as single section ,then import it , then do another element.
do this for texturing also.
I find it easier than the Max format  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2003, 01:37:18 pm »
When I make a model, I work with sub-objects. Each defined part of a model is a sub object. First I look at the drawing and mentally devide it into sub-objects which I model individually in Max, and when it's finished if you export in .mod format properly it automatically combines all the objects into one. The thing to remember is that SFC3 treats ALL models as break models for purposes of exporting.

As for the color problem you have, you need to assign a material to the object. First select the object you want to assign a color (ie: material) to. Then in the top menu, go to the Material Editor and in the Blinn Basic Parameters section, click in the grey box next to Ambient and select a color. This is how many major motion picture studios use Max to create movie character textures too, since you can assign things like weathering and rust as well as just color as a material. Note that none of these exports into the .mod format. The only thing you can do to make a .mod display with color in it's native environment (ie: the game or the mod viewer) is texture it.  

PS
To return a model to a solid object, unselect any categories you have selected in the Modifiers rollout, and then go to the Select by name icon on the top toolbar. Select one of the sub-objects. Then right click on it in the viewport and select ATTACH. Then go back to the Select by name menu and start doubleclicking the objects listed until they are all attached. When you are done right click in an open part of the viewport to stop selcting more object to attach.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 01:41:16 pm by Captain KoraH »

Captain KoraH

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2003, 01:46:38 pm »
Raven, I don't know about the nacelle part here. Here is my observation of the original drawing:

http://www.nightsoftware.com/compictures/korah/dxorac_changes.jpg

I know my model is different from the drawing there, but perhaps we could change the concept to accomodate the new geometry? I sort of envisioned some additional detail on the wing tip area that made the entire wingtip area forward of the wing armor feathers to look like a nacelle.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 01:51:57 pm by Captain KoraH »

Raven Night

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2003, 02:40:30 pm »
I see what you are saying, and a blade nacelle would be unique. How about this, if it is not too much trouble. Why dont you try it the way I have listed in the pic included, and save the one you have, and look at both to see which you see as best. Perhaps I could purchase both versions.......we could change the blade one a bit to make it a little more sleek in stature. Here is the pic........

example of nacelle assembly  

Reverend

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2003, 09:13:48 am »
THis is gonna be a really nice ship- I have been waiting for a new good Romulan ship- this one is going to be great- keep up the good work guys!!  

TheBigCheese

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2003, 09:37:01 am »
This is a nice ship,

I spent two weeks texturing the first prototype,
wasn't happy with it , binned it and started again

I am now happier with the second prototype thanks to Ravens suggestion of doing it in
the Warbird texture style  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2003, 09:44:23 am »
Raven, your changes can be done, though it will require some fairly extensive reworking of the mesh, since the upper wings and lower wings do not meet together like in your drawing. In the model, the wingtips are actually part of the upper wing, and in the drawing they are seperate. it might take a couple days for me to get that done.  

Raven Night

« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2003, 10:21:30 am »
Well, here is what I was doing, and where I had to stop. I created polys, hightlighted one of the blades, separated it from the mesh, cloned it, rotated it around so it mirrored the other one. Then I was attempting to create two objects.......a flat right trapezoid to connect between the end of the blade and the bottom of the ship, and a pyramid shaped cylinder to place inside. The problem was I am not very good at creating shapes yet, and I do not know how to create free polys, so my results were not exactly grand.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2003, 02:11:08 pm »
After playing with it for a while, it looks like I'll have to completely redesign the wings to make this change, which I'm not really up to at this point. I'll keep it on my plate, but it may be some time before I get back to it.  

TheBigCheese

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2003, 02:32:44 pm »
I'll carry on with the texturing reguardless as I can always texture the new model easily enough.
Though this weekend I have been giving my PC a spring clean and have formatted my HD  

Raven Night

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2003, 11:26:16 pm »
Alright, I want to avoid causing you to get frustrated, so work it with the two engines as they are and I will play with the mesh myself. I made the bottom blades ok, I just have to learn how to create the shapes I need to fill it up right.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2003, 12:20:01 pm »
Well there is a little frustration there, but it's not because you want changes. I should have paid closer attention to that part of the drawing in the first place. In my world of constant babysitting chronic problems on the TNZ server this is truly  minor concern. Don't sweat it. I'll be positively elated to see Cheese's textures for this model.  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2003, 03:28:38 am »
Speaking of Cheese's textures for this model, can we get a wip here Cheese?  I just can't wait to see this...

Reverend

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2003, 07:30:16 pm »
me either! 5 pages strong, guys! hee hee!  

Raven Night

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2003, 12:35:13 am »
Ok, I am having a wierd problem.

I create polygons, highlight a section (the nacelle blade), select.........lol

Well, I opened Max to go over the steps as I was writing this, and found out how to do it right.

.......never mind.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2003, 03:36:33 am »
lol

GJ Raven! I've seen Cheese's latest WIP on this ship and it's pretty impressive.  

Raven Night

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2003, 07:09:06 pm »
Checking for an update if there is one

Raven Night

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2003, 06:13:46 am »
Ok, here is a pic of my slow progress on this model......I have made a few tweaks here and there, the most major one the addition of the wingtip nacelle. It still needs alot of work. I have some open vertices that I do not know how to close (I have not learned how to make vertices or polys yet ), and other small problems I will work out sooner or later. Here is the pic.

picture of wingtip nacelle  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2003, 09:37:05 am »
From your WIP I can see you know exactly what I mean about redesigning the entire wing to get the look you wanted. Also, the drawing is a lot different from what you decided on in the end. It's important when taking a 2D drawing and making a 3D model out of it that you have a clear vision of what you want the end product to look like, and where you're willing to make compromises and where you're not. The D'Xorac, having only a single drawing from an odd angle, was very difficult to model in some areas, and I had to choose where to use "artistic license". I think the guiding principle of all these models I'm making for you should be that what you end up with, weather it's exactly like the drawing or not, captures the feeling you get when you first looked at the picture of the ship. I'm happy with the model I turned out, but believe me I completely understand about your wishes to "improve" on it. That's why we all got into SFC modeling anyway right? I fully support your efforts to alter the mesh to your personal specs with this model and every model I make.  

Raven Night

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2003, 01:41:55 pm »
I appreciate your patience with me, and the fact you allow me such priveleges. I also hope that my assistance lowers your stress level, as I have been known to be a bit................picky.

There is one way you could help me when I am finished. There are two things I need to do, but have no idea how.

First, I need to close the open vertices. How to you make polygons.

Second, I would like to just mirror the changes. I tried cutting the model in half, but the problem is that some of the polys carry over to the other side, so I think mirroring that way cannot be done.

Lastly, I need to know how to make the ship a uniform object and smooth it.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2003, 03:33:48 am »
Ok, well making polys is easy. As in these screenshots (your UI may look different since everything in Max is user customizable) select the model, then click the create button, then select Face and under Edit Geometry select Create. You will see your model with all the vertices lit up. All you do is click on 3 verts, in order, counterclockwise.  You will see the new face. A polygon is nothing more than a collection of faces. Note that all faces have something called a "normal" which basically means the face only "faces" one direction. If you look at it from the other side it is transparent. So, anything you make that has more than one side you can see it from, must have normals facing both ways. You can do this by making another face by clicking the verts clockwise, or by using the normals modifiers. I noticed that your reworked NoHQuv had some faces with only one normal... you could only see them from one direction.

Moving vertices may be better for some situations than moving faces or polys. Select the Vertex button instead of the Face button to see the verts of the selcted object light up.

Note that when you have selected a sub object level (ie: vertex of face) you cannot select another object until you DE-select that sub object.

A quick but dirty way to close an open model is to use the Cap Holes modifier in the Modifiers/Mesh Editing menu. It will automatically close any open sides of the model for you by creating faces. The downside of this is that the Cap Holes modifier isn't very smart, and often does not do the job efficiently or cap off the open areas in the way you'd like. I say it's "dirty" because you always have to go back and fix what it screws up.

One thing you can do to help is run an STL check on the model. STL (STereoLithography) is a process used by companies to take a 3D model and feed it into a computerized laser to create a real object. Lots of automotive and aircraft parts, plastic model kit molds, and other machined items are made this way. Go to the Modifiers/Mesh Editing/STL Check button on the menu. You can set it to highlight edges of missing faces on the model for you, or to highlight multiple faces that occupy the same space ect ect.  Many great SFC models out there won't pass an STL check :P although all the stock Taldren ones do.

You can cut the model in half by using a slice plane or a boolean subtraction, and it will make new faces or polys where needed instead of deleting verts that make entire faces dissapear.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Captain KoraH »

Raven Night

« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2003, 09:16:34 pm »
Thanks, as you can see from my final work, the cap holes did just what you said........and it looked terrible. lol.

I will try to fix the problems, or rework it. I am learning as I go, but you get the idea on what I am looking for.

If I can get this ship right it will be very popular I imagine.

Raven Night

« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2003, 11:36:28 am »
I am still working on this model........I should have something to send you shortly.

ModelsPlease

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2004, 08:48:07 pm »
Bump  

Kaenyne

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2004, 01:38:01 pm »
Bump! for news

MrCue

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2004, 06:02:19 pm »
If you speak of the D'Xorac, its in Battlezone.

Kaenyne

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2004, 10:15:41 pm »
What is the Battlezone?

Raven Night

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2004, 12:13:40 am »
Quote:

If you speak of the D'Xorac, its in Battlezone.  

Yes, and I would like to know what he means by this. This model was unfinished and uncompensated.

ModelsPlease

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2004, 02:29:38 am »
Quote:

What is the Battlezone?  

Yes I would like to know too,is it a place I can D/L more ships for SFC?
And in reguards to this ship,is it part of the  new MOD that you spoke of in another thread Raven Night sir?Or is it a stand alone work,and if so will we ever see it completed.Sorry I'm just curious  
-MP  

MrCue

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2004, 07:42:14 am »
The D'Xorac was in TNZ, Battlezone used TNZ with KoraH's permission as a base. The mod has been reworked into Battlezone and were busy doing some ballance & server testing.

We hope to have a public release of the mod soon.

This is the D'Xorac we have used from TNZ.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by cueball2000uk »

Kaenyne

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2004, 08:12:37 am »
I know that TNZ is a mod, but I still am confused about what Battlezone is.

MrCue

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2004, 08:16:33 am »
Battlezone is also a mod. It used TNZ as a base with TNZ's author Korah's permission.
The mod is for SFC3 and will be avaliable for download once we have finished our testing.

You can find information Here. Along with any updates on its status.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them there, and we will be more than happy to answer them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by cueball2000uk »

Raven Night

« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2004, 09:44:57 am »
Yes. Please remove the model from the mod. The model is property of Nightsoft, and has not been properly prepared or compensated for release.

MrCue

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2004, 09:49:21 am »
Will do.

Raven Night

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2004, 09:53:20 am »
Thank you. It is just a temporary measure........we have to pay Korah for the work and prepare the model for release. Then you can add it back to the mod.

Oh, and does this mod also use the BaQ? Since the DXorac was completed, I guessed that that model might be in there as well.

Mariner

« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2004, 06:06:47 pm »
Payment for modelmaking...can you explain this concept further?

Just kidding, considering that your the CEO on Nightsoft (BTW, sorry if this is a n00b question, but what does Nightsoft "do" company-wise), and the quality of the models is not able to be bought (well, actually, whatever you pay him is what the model is worth, but nevermind... )

This looks awesome. Can wait to see it in SFC!

Raven Night

« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2004, 09:38:29 am »
Well, for one, Nightsoft hosts your Galaxies at War mod

We do expansions for popular video games, and design software for security use for international companies and governments.