Topic: Linux and Dynaverse II  (Read 3200 times)

txtanker

Linux and Dynaverse II
« on: February 04, 2003, 02:18:45 pm »
I have a great Linux server and it would be great if I could run Dynaverse II on it. Has any one figured out how to do that?
I thought maybe somthing like http://www.dosemu.org. That way I can have it run with out a Wine type GUI.

FireSoul

Re: Linux and Dynaverse II
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 02:24:50 pm »
Wine has no appropriate dplay networking code needed by SFC and the D2 server.
If it wasn't for that, I would have set-up a D2 server long ago.

-- Luc

Cleaven

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 03:45:06 pm »
Now if we had some post-grads looking for a project and some tobacco research money, somebody could actually try to build a linux version of the server.  

txtanker

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 03:54:00 pm »
I have a team of java SE's that I will let work on this during their down time. If some one will send me the Windows source code.  

FireSoul

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 05:50:04 pm »
You'd have to implement directplay all over again, and MS hasn't released any information as to how it works.

The very simplest approach is to take a directx capable wine (ie: TransGaming's WineX on sourceforge) and to add the missing parts to allow directplay4 code (not dplay8) to function within it. The sources are available, and I am sure TransGaming would accept contributions in their matter.

.. After all, I'm their sysadmin (currently on leave, and soon to be on parental leave).
-- Luc

txtanker

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 09:19:53 pm »
This is one of the main reasons real software is not written with Microsoft peices.