Topic: Anyone know if it's possible to add seperate playable races to the game?  (Read 4302 times)

Captain KoraH

Anyone?

Stormbringer

Re: Anyone know if it's possible to add seperate playable races to the game?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 07:01:57 pm »
It should be possible. There are vestiges of other races in the various files. They were not ready in time for release (IIRC). (see the manual's reference to cardassians, for example .) If so the mechanics for them must still be in there some where. Even if they were removed it should be possible, much like in the older games to edit the text strings of existing race or empire names, replace the models with those of another race, and edit the weapon textures, and gf statistics to emulate that race's technology within reasonable limits (tholian webs are out unless the mines game mechanicsgraphics could be used somehow).

Hmmm. mines with strands and rapidily in succesion with greatly increased quatities available to the tholians or scripts where a new terrain is spawned on certain triggers. Terrainfeatures (perhaps asteroids)  that ressembles webs and drops ships speed to zero  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 03:42:07 pm »
Still no word from any forums I posted this question on.

I have thought though about just giving it a try and see what happens. Can't hurt... only a waste of time if it fails.

Captain KoraH

Dash Jones

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 05:57:50 pm »
The biggest difficulty you probably will have will have it actually listed.  You probably could add the races, but getting the game to have a file that lists them as available will be harder, as it won't have the bitmaps that include the race selection...I suspect, or that will be the HARDEST part.

You may also have to give them their own individual conquest mode if you want them to start out in the SP portion, and finangle with the actual files defining the zones of control on the maps, and a heck of a lot more involving...perhaps, actual programming.  Just a guess though, and not all that knowledgeable.  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 10:34:52 am »
Changing the game to accept the "new" race would not be all that hard I suspect, just a lot of typing... I put the word "new" in quotes because races like the cardasssians are already in the game, just no ships. The SFC3 map editor is also coded already to make Cardassian and Species 8472 areas. I'm wondering... if it's as simple as adding them to the files where they were left off and putting some ships in there...

Captain KoraH

lennier

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 10:07:44 am »
Dear Captain KoraH,

In response, one would've  thought that the makers of this game could've provided assistance to your inquiry without hesitation.  Other firms like Blizzard or Lucasarts, would've taken the necessary time to program a game right before shipment.  I wonder what they're waiting for?  However, keep trying.

Reverend

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 04:19:32 pm »
Say, I was just looking here for just this.... I have two Species 8472 ship models i switched out so they show up as Rakellians... changed their weapons to have Borg cutting beams, myotronic beams, and gravimetric torpedoes.... I later forgot how they show up, in pairs or in threes.... D'oh! Anyhow, I too was looking for a way to really implement them as playable, like how to create a conquest mode for them.... we'd have to give them an area of space for their own too... just a little one would be satisfactory... I have Visual C++, but cannot operate it very well.... I really wanted this- I played the sotry modes to death, and the conquest modes are dull, but I love SFC3 playability and control.... any more ideas? I will work on that on this end, and let anyone who cares know of my progress..

lennier

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 08:41:27 pm »
 Dear Reverend,  

From what I understand, Species 8472 ships usually travel in groups of four or more vessels (this is only an estimate;  the ST: VOY episodes "Scorpion" parts 1 and 2 may provide a more accurate answer).  In any case, I'm very interested to see how your project turns out.  Please let me know when it's completed.      

Rod O'neal

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2003, 10:47:20 pm »
I don't remember for sure which class of ship it was, destroyers, I think that formed a "triad". One shot and the cube went BOOM!!!! when I put them in OP I gave them a Big ol' mauler and lots of APR to recharge it.