Topic: Spinning Borg  (Read 4684 times)

Scott Allen Abfalter

Spinning Borg
« on: January 17, 2003, 05:13:19 pm »

i've only just started playing the Borg campaign.  

I notice that I have a hard time telling which end of the ship is 'front' --probably because there is no 'front'.  

This makes it hard to know which of my weapons hardpoints are pointed where, when.  

So what I've been doing is (besides making sure the 360 degree weapons points are always filled first) just spinning around, and around, and around.  And around.  My little borg-nodes are getting all dizzy!   Balance IS relevant!  

Is this the norm?  Or am I missing some sort of visual cue that will help me orientate myself?

If so, having the best thrusters is quite important....

Thoughts?

"WE ARE THE BORG.  YOU ARE OUR BIATCHES.  WE ARE THE MAC DADDY'S OF THE QUADRANT.  RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.  SURRENDER 'FORE I BUST A QUANTUM TORPEDO IN YO ASS!"  (Now imagine the Borg voices actually saying that...)

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Spinning Borg
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 05:20:58 pm »
True, it's hard to tell where the "front" is. This is also true for your adversaries....

I usually rely on the turn arc indicator for a visual clue.  

ActiveX

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 05:35:09 pm »
I figure if it is moving that it is moving forward...  

Shadow_101

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 07:39:31 pm »
for a borg ship every side is the front, simple  

Draco

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 07:52:25 pm »
Quote:

So what I've been doing is (besides making sure the 360 degree weapons points are always filled first) just spinning around, and around, and around.  And around.  

Spinning around is what Borg do best. If your ship is laid out right you can keep up a continuous fire on a target. Even if you have the weapons that have the standard re-fire rate.

Cleaven

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 08:03:10 pm »
It could be really interesting to remove reverse from the Borg, and instead give them a thrust vector control. Adjusting the vector would need a new graphic and is therefore impossible but imagine changing the vector by 90 deg and going sideways.  

No need to worry about which end is the front then.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 08:09:02 pm by Cleaven »

Fuller

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 09:19:58 pm »
In the past I became harried when I was confronted with the "which end is up?" problem. However, there are very easy ways to tell which way is up. You can look at your radar and see your ship and other ships as arrows pointing in their forward direction and another way of telling is by looking at your forward movement.

The principal is exactly the same as with any other races ship but the graphics are much different and you cannot collide with a sovereign as opposed to a cube.

In a nut shell, check your radar or movement direction and you should have no problems.

I would like to add that borg are very cool. They have the best ships when it comes to raw power and damage taking ability. Cutting beams are so sexy when fired in their borg like arcs. All of you must admit borg are cool and one of their only fallacies is the horrible borg pilot voice.

That said, I like Federation the most.  

Very neat idea Cleaven.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Fuller »

Scott Allen Abfalter

Spinning Borg
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 05:13:19 pm »

i've only just started playing the Borg campaign.  

I notice that I have a hard time telling which end of the ship is 'front' --probably because there is no 'front'.  

This makes it hard to know which of my weapons hardpoints are pointed where, when.  

So what I've been doing is (besides making sure the 360 degree weapons points are always filled first) just spinning around, and around, and around.  And around.  My little borg-nodes are getting all dizzy!   Balance IS relevant!  

Is this the norm?  Or am I missing some sort of visual cue that will help me orientate myself?

If so, having the best thrusters is quite important....

Thoughts?

"WE ARE THE BORG.  YOU ARE OUR BIATCHES.  WE ARE THE MAC DADDY'S OF THE QUADRANT.  RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.  SURRENDER 'FORE I BUST A QUANTUM TORPEDO IN YO ASS!"  (Now imagine the Borg voices actually saying that...)

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2003, 05:20:58 pm »
True, it's hard to tell where the "front" is. This is also true for your adversaries....

I usually rely on the turn arc indicator for a visual clue.  

ActiveX

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2003, 05:35:09 pm »
I figure if it is moving that it is moving forward...  

Shadow_101

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 07:39:31 pm »
for a borg ship every side is the front, simple  

Draco

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2003, 07:52:25 pm »
Quote:

So what I've been doing is (besides making sure the 360 degree weapons points are always filled first) just spinning around, and around, and around.  And around.  

Spinning around is what Borg do best. If your ship is laid out right you can keep up a continuous fire on a target. Even if you have the weapons that have the standard re-fire rate.

Cleaven

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2003, 08:03:10 pm »
It could be really interesting to remove reverse from the Borg, and instead give them a thrust vector control. Adjusting the vector would need a new graphic and is therefore impossible but imagine changing the vector by 90 deg and going sideways.  

No need to worry about which end is the front then.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 08:09:02 pm by Cleaven »

Fuller

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2003, 09:19:58 pm »
In the past I became harried when I was confronted with the "which end is up?" problem. However, there are very easy ways to tell which way is up. You can look at your radar and see your ship and other ships as arrows pointing in their forward direction and another way of telling is by looking at your forward movement.

The principal is exactly the same as with any other races ship but the graphics are much different and you cannot collide with a sovereign as opposed to a cube.

In a nut shell, check your radar or movement direction and you should have no problems.

I would like to add that borg are very cool. They have the best ships when it comes to raw power and damage taking ability. Cutting beams are so sexy when fired in their borg like arcs. All of you must admit borg are cool and one of their only fallacies is the horrible borg pilot voice.

That said, I like Federation the most.  

Very neat idea Cleaven.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Fuller »