Topic: Enterprise Era (pre TOS)  (Read 3090 times)

ActiveX

Enterprise Era (pre TOS)
« on: September 04, 2003, 04:20:58 am »
For some reason Im getting bored of ships that have super strong shields and 6 heavy hardpoints pointing forward...

I am beginning to think a PreTOS, pre shields mod is due...

Hell, even nerf the weapons so its more of a fireworks show than firefight...

I think it could be what SFC3 needs...

Go back to basics...

Take out Borg and put the Andorians in their place...

Make the Vulcans and preFeds as Fed, and Klink and Rom their respective selves...

Anyone else think this is good?

And the irony is that the Vulcans would have the heavyweight ships...hehe...

NX-01 would be a Smurf CA or light BCH...

Am I the only one tired of 'bigger and better' mods?

Why not go back to basics, when battles were an art...

InragedSith

Re: Enterprise Era (pre TOS)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 02:35:10 pm »
Quote:

For some reason Im getting bored of ships that have super strong shields and 6 heavy hardpoints pointing forward...

I am beginning to think a PreTOS, pre shields mod is due...

I think someone is already working on an Enterprise Era mod for SFC3

Quote:

Hell, even nerf the weapons so its more of a fireworks show than firefight...

I think it could be what SFC3 needs...

I have never heard the term "nerf" before but the only way to create new weapons in SFC3 is to edit the hardcoding

ActiveX

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 02:53:08 pm »
'nerf' it roots to the Nerf toys and it means to lessen something's effect...

Like lowering the damage on a phaser...

James Formo

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 10:08:46 pm »
I like this idea. Nerfing I mean. The mod I am working on is not a bigger and better mod. It keeps the weapons arcs seilds stock.  Yea some ships still have alot of forward heavy arcs but they ca't all be used in the stock game.  The brunt of the mod is making the shuttles more active and bringing more chaous and even friendly fire to the battlefield. Thus making it more fun I hope.

Back to your idea though. I think SFC3 would benefit from your mod. Only thing is I do not care for Pre-TOS as portayed by 'Enterprise'  Thats why we mod I guess, so we can customize the game to our tastes. There is getting to be enough pre_TOS ships for a mod though.

One thing though is I notice early battles in conquest campaigns take a long time in a frigate. ie: your Saber vs a marauder is like a 20 minute battle where the outcome is never in question. I guess fodder is necessary to build up prestige.  That might be the 1 thing to look out for when nerfing. Course it would take some testing. Too bad not much can be done with the variety of weapons.  I suspect from looking at certain files that an expansion was planned but I doubt we will ever see one,

If I remember don't you also program as well?  

ActiveX

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 10:33:23 pm »
Quote:

I like this idea. Nerfing I mean. The mod I am working on is not a bigger and better mod. It keeps the weapons arcs seilds stock.  Yea some ships still have alot of forward heavy arcs but they ca't all be used in the stock game.  The brunt of the mod is making the shuttles more active and bringing more chaous and even friendly fire to the battlefield. Thus making it more fun I hope.

Back to your idea though. I think SFC3 would benefit from your mod. Only thing is I do not care for Pre-TOS as portayed by 'Enterprise'  Thats why we mod I guess, so we can customize the game to our tastes. There is getting to be enough pre_TOS ships for a mod though.

One thing though is I notice early battles in conquest campaigns take a long time in a frigate. ie: your Saber vs a marauder is like a 20 minute battle where the outcome is never in question. I guess fodder is necessary to build up prestige.  That might be the 1 thing to look out for when nerfing. Course it would take some testing. Too bad not much can be done with the variety of weapons.  I suspect from looking at certain files that an expansion was planned but I doubt we will ever see one,

If I remember don't you also program as well?  

I dabbled in VB for a time, but nothing else...the name threw you off...hehe...

Anyhow, I like the Enterprise Era portrayal mostly because the ships look more like something somebody would design...

Maybe its semantics, but beach balls with warp cucumbers dun spark anything for me... :shrug:

I dunno though how soon I'll be able to do this as I need to figure the ships to use and the period variables...heh...

At this point, I'm just glad somebody liked it enough to post...

Reverend

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 03:08:18 am »
After all that said, I do believe a more simplistic approach would be awfully entertaining... I have lotsa Vulcan models, and are using them as Pirates right now, lol! Nonetheless, they are asthetically pleasing (all Atolm's designs), and make for great enemies, IMHO.

ActiveX

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 08:23:54 pm »
I think that my Pretos to TMP mod will be done in OP instead of SFC3...

That said I need to obtain OP...