Topic: 3d Modder Personality: Kitbasher or Mesher, Methodical Tester or Speed-Demon?  (Read 3034 times)

**DONOTDELETE**

3d Modder Personality: Kitbasher or Mesher, Methodical Tester or Speed-Demon?

Hello folkes,

I've been tinkering 3d mods for about two years now,
and I've always wanted to ask this,

(i).  Are you a "Kitbasher" at heart (regardless of experience), or a "ground-up" from scratch Mesher?
(ii).  Do you methodically test your mesh as you go, or is it "damn the torpedoes, full-speed ahead!"?
(iii).  Do you like complex Break Mods, or just "three pieces will do" ?

Finally,
Do you feel more comfortable "meshing", or texturing?

Take care,
Agent Sloan

Major A Payne

Quote:

Hello folkes,

I've been tinkering 3d mods for about two years now,
and I've always wanted to ask this,

(i).  Are you a "Kitbasher" at heart (regardless of experience), or a "ground-up" from scratch Mesher?
(ii).  Do you methodically test your mesh as you go, or is it "damn the torpedoes, full-speed ahead!"?

Finally,

Take care,
Agent Sloan  

Hmmmm, interesting. Well whilst I don't personally model or mod for SFC I have been modelling for Star Trek Armada now for around 3 years, and to me I would say that whilst I do enjoy a good ol' fashioned kitbash, I also enjoy recreating low poly versions of high poly cgi quality models. Texturing though is something I'm pretty naff at, and as for testing my mesh?? Nah. Takes long enough as it is!!!  

atheorhaven

Quote:

i) I'd love to say "ground-up" but I'm still getting to that point.  Kitbashes are what I'm more comfortable with right now..
ii) Usually, test as I go..
iii) Complex break mods are my friend.  

Quote:

Finally,

Texturing!  w00t!

Azel

Quote:

Texturing! w00t!  

Then I need you sir!!!
Look here thanks
http://208.57.228.4/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=163811&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=2

And Don, I say..."Idea man" is me...other than that...I'd say build the mesh from scratch  

InterMech

Answers:
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 10:06:48 pm »
Answers:

(i). I definitely like to do some "ground-up" from scratch modelling. I just don't feel right about using something I didn't make totally myself.

(ii). I never test a mesh untill it is complete and textured, however, I have been known to postpone  the hardpoint and the break model step in favor of quicker gradification.

(iii). Because of SFC3's tendency to randomize the order of parts being blown off, I try to go with more pieces in an attempt to minimize the chance that the main part of the ship will drop off first, leaving only several un connectd periferals flying in unison.

Finally, I am definitely a mesher. Texturing is the brussel sprouts of modding.    

James Formo

Re: Answers:
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 10:27:41 pm »
Well I 1st started by retexuring others peoples stuff. The old cut and paste method. Don't believe I ever posted any.

Then I found Milkshape and just started messing with shapes which is my strength I believe. With texturing being my ahcilles
heel  

I do enjoy texturing-though I find it tedious at times. My one hang-up is I still refuse to use any tutorials. I figure the time it takes to read a tutorial I could have 2 meshes done    My personality is such that I am in constant flux. I'm a Gemini.
Move from 1 idea or project on to the next thinking I can always go back and polish it off with some finishing touches later.

In reality though I just move on to the next project.  When I 1st started I was a stickler to get the slightest errors out of a mesh. Since my old eyes tire quickly I kinda just starting pumping out meshes and quit worrying about a flickering face. Since it is a hobby after all.

Now I am modding SFC3 with leaves little or no time for modleing, but whem I get back to it-I will probably have some new ideas. Oh yeh here is the biggy. I am a non-conformist. This is reflected in my models which are not canon as I like the flexibility of created something similar to whats out there, while at the same time allows me to edxpress myself.

I did do the Norway cause I am Norwegian and the Raven just so I could say I can do Canon I just don't feel like it

Good thread btw Don  

Rogue NineCH

Kitbasher - I am kitbasher at heart, I find I do things better when I have something to jumpstart things.  Every model I have tried to build from scratch so far has not fared well.  I think the reason I really don't try to build completely from scratch anymore is I REALLY REALLY suck at texturing.  I can do a little bit here and there, change things around, and of course there is the cut and paste.  I would definitely call myself a Kitbasher.

Method Man - I methodically check each part one at a time.  It's easier for me this way since I can catch things at certain angles that you might not find with the model fully constructed.

Gotta have both - I view it on a ship to ship basis, I prefer at least four sections for a break mod, however I have had up to eight sections or more.  sometimes it's governed by my mood, how much work I feel like putting into it.  As long as it looks good when it explodes, I'm happy.

Meshin' it up - definitely more comfortable meshing, but ship names and registries are becoming my favorite to do now.

sandman69247

1) Ground up mesher (sounds gruesome, don't it? )
2) Full speed ahead. Once I get started, it's hard to stop until I'm done. I usually do the basic mesh 1st, then tweak as I go, especially while texturing, which I hate BTW lol.
3) I just do the basic 4 piece that JOKER taught in the video tutorial. All I know anyway.

As you can tell from the responses, there really is no hard and fast rule about how you get there, just as long as you acknowledge any and all contributers to your work. I've seen some awesome designs from bashers, including your stuff Don, and I think it would be hard to model them from the ground up. The main thing is, HAVE FUN!! That's what it's all about, right? Oh, and pace yourself. I didn't and burned out slightly (already have a list forming of new projects,lol), so just be patient.

Marauth

1. Kitbasher - not for a lack of wanting to mesh my own stuff, I do what I can with the tools available to me, and I've stretched M6 as far as it can go so I want to change over.
2. Method Man: "cash moves everythin around me, cream: get the money, dolla, dolla bill y'all!" ROFL - this is a product of using a program that will randomly crash on you, usually at vital places in the alteration but yeah it helps to make sure everything is falling into place rather than just dive-bombing throught it and then finding out you've ended up with a Fairy Swordfish instead of a Stuka LOL
3. me no makey _brk.mods at this time so I cannae be commentin.
4.mesh or textures - depends on mood, if I'm in a bad mood texturing is the last thing I want to do as the hours spent messing around with a single detail so it don't look like dogsh!t can be very frustrating and kitbashing a new ship is actually quite a relaxant.

Really the secret I have found with either meshing or kitbashing is messing around, just trying all the different tools in a pogram to see what they can do, eventually you find something that looks cool and so you start to use it more and more.

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello Azel,

Nice to hear from yaa my friend,
Anything of mine, is yours eh,

If you would like any help and advice with this beauty,
I'd be more than willing to lend-a-hand eh,

'Tis on fine starship mesh,

Take care, my friend,
Agent Sloan

Quote:

Quote:

Texturing! w00t!  

Then I need you sir!!!
Look here thanks
http://208.57.228.4/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=163811&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=2

And Don, I say..."Idea man" is me...other than that...I'd say build the mesh from scratch  

DarkMatrix

Re: 3d Modder Personality: Kitbasher or Mesher, Methodical Tester or Speed-Demon?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2003, 12:43:33 pm »
(i). Are you a "Kitbasher" at heart (regardless of experience), or a "ground-up" from scratch Mesher?
A:kitbashing is great way of learning to model helps to home them modeling skills when you move on to doinging your own also its alot of fun
(ii). Do you methodically test your mesh as you go, or is it "damn the torpedoes, full-speed ahead!"?
A:i always do the full model first takes awhile but its nothing better than seeing one of your own ships fying around a gane be it sfc or bc its like hey i made that its great feeling its well worth all hrs it takes to do it textures foor me are hard going but in the end we all get there
(iii). Do you like complex Break Mods, or just "three pieces will do" ?
A:more of 3 pieces will do my way looking at it is only last all of 2 secs whats the point

DM

Captain Ron

Re: 3d Modder Personality: Kitbasher or Mesher, Methodical Tester or Speed-Demon?
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2003, 12:50:07 pm »
i SEP
ii SEP
iii SEP

SEP=Someone Elses Problem

I only retexture the things!