Topic: In responce to comments made about ATI Technologies and their products  (Read 18583 times)

Hawkwind

Re: In responce to comments made about ATI Technologies and their products
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2003, 01:14:15 pm »
Well like I say I and others were just expressing a opinion, and in my case it's also a professional one.

People are free to pick and choose, and quite rightly so.

As for your point of ruling them out perminately, well put it this way if a company holds a bad reputation in one area then obviously people are going to shy away from any future offerings.

(Gives a LONG HARD look at TALDREN..)

Once a brand has a poor reputation is very hard to shake off, if you take SFC3 as a example I doubt I'd buy any further products that had Taldrens logo anywhere near it, after SFC2 and 3, that is unless it's redeemed and the product is put into the state it should have been BEFORE release.

But as far as ATI goes, my own experience is yes they are good cards, but I wouldn't install one into any machine where High reliability was a issue or where a client wasn't prepared or was capable for the up's and downs.

That's one area where I'd give Nvidia Top marks for, purely because they put so much into keeping their drivers current and reliable, far more so than most other manufacturers.  Where their focus has been far too much on pumping out the Highest Spec Hardware.

End of the Day if you've got a car that'll do 250 Mph, it's no damn good if the wheels drop off at 20Mph because of poor wheel nuts. lol

And of all the cards etc I've used and installed and all the software I've tested for various houses, as far as problems go one name consistantly comes up and frequently and for the same reasons.

But at the end of the day, if you have one and you like it good for you, and if you don't and are thinking of buying a new card, well you've heard what I and other Tech Heads have said, and hopefully you'll be able to make a more informed choice of purchase, that's going to suit you best.

Enough said.

Oh and Taldren, please take a huge dose of ethics and clean up your QA!

Releasing something this bad and hoping you can fix it after just isn't a smart way to conduct business, it annoys the hell out of your customer base, and sully's your company's name and reputation.

Or to put it in terms I would use, If it came to building a sytem for a client I wasn't 100% satisfied with, I'd rather not build it at all and keep the client.

I'd rather pay an extra £5 for a quality product than £30 for Junk, and while no software is bug free, someone over there is definately pulling our chain, if they thought this was in anyway shape or form fit to go gold.

Have some pride and never let money be the master of invention.

LordStar

« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2003, 01:34:28 pm »
these are all p4's ranging from 1.8's to 2.4's
all have 256meg of memory
as well as the fact that they only act up with the ati's  
oh and as far as the amd and ati thing I have 2 hand built machines at home both are 1800xp +'s one runs a Geforce and the other runs an ati both are identical exept for the vid card and both run fine even though I notice more slow downs in the ati box then the gf box. but no system halting crashes.  

P.S.  Government contracts are unbreakable however we do spec out the systems we buy and although I don't have the spec sheet here in front of me this minute I am fairly certain that the mobo's are all intel's
« Last Edit: February 16, 2003, 01:41:41 pm by LordStar »

MagnumMan

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2003, 12:30:36 pm »
I'm not impressed with nvidia any more.  Their latest product simply plays catch-up to ATI (oh, and it requires 2 slots and a noisy-arse fan to do it), and ATI is going to blow them out of the water with the R350.  I've heard from many people that the ATI drivers are way more reliable than they used to be.  I personally have a problem with nvidia's driver kit right now.  The 41.09 drivers do NOT play well with my GeForce2 GTS and Neverwinter Nights.  It causes the game to load level so slowly, you could literally go get *and have* a cup of coffee between scenes.  I had to go back to 31.40.

In truth I wish one of the big graphics companies would go back and re-engineer the graphics chip so that it was more efficient.  Current solutions seem to be brute-force approaches to solving solutions; as evidenced by the amount of energy the current chips require.  There's a reason why Serial ATA is so much more elegant than Parallel ATA; it's much simpler, so the speed can be jacked way up.  I believe tile-based rendering was a stab at this kind of optimization; unfortunately the companies who tried to make it work were unable to keep up with the marketing and engineering muscle that is ATI and nvidia... in the end, it hurts us all.

My next video card will probably come from ATI, and have  at least one R350 on it.

Damaged

« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2003, 01:55:40 pm »
--------------------
Austin 3:16 What?