Topic: In responce to comments made about ATI Technologies and their products  (Read 18581 times)

SeanDumas

Hello to Everyone,

On behalf of Taldren, I would like to offer sincere apologies to ATI for some recent comments posted on our Forums.  These comments are not the opinion of Taldren, nor are they accurate in any shape or form.  Though there may have been driver issues in the past, over the last few years ATI has made great strides in improving their drivers? compatibility and performance.  ATI is a great Graphics Hardware company with exciting new products which are leading the market in performance, DirectX 9 compliance and robust feature sets.  Taldren and ATI are pursuing a closer relationship to ensure that our future titles will look great on a larger variety of ATI products.  I truly appreciate the way ATI is raising the bar with their new 9700 series.  Their work will help to make our games and all other PCs games look dramatically better.

Sincerely,

Sean C. Dumas
Co-Owner Taldren, Inc.

kevlar

Re: In responce to comments made about ATI Technologies and their products
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 07:54:16 pm »
A paced strategical move of Taldren, proving that diplomacy is a must on this bussiness  

Nevertheless I do agree with what was said earlier. I think no one should doubt that in hardware aspects, ATI most recent cards are, in price -performance ratio, much better than  NVIDIA and company  equivalent products. The problem is that PC's still need software drivers,  and ATI was yet to walk a couple of miles in order to catch Nvidia on that aspect ( altought I wouldn't stop laughging  at those  new detonator drivers that made resolution changes take like 2 or 3 minutes,  I woudn't stop if I hadn't experienced the problem myself  )

The remarks about ATI driver quality were a bit harsh...but not completly untrue.    

Dash Jones

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 08:24:38 pm »
In response to reasonable answers concerning the original post, this has been edited to state (drastically), I use ATI and Nvidia cards.  They both have good aspects about each, and their competition has me undecided as to which card I will next upgrade to, the FX or 9700, or perhaps wait till the generation after those.  Other cards and chipsets may have their advantages, but don't really interest me at the moment.

I typically lean more towards Nvidia cards, but that has never prevented me from using ATi, or other chipsets and cards in the past.  I tend to agree with general consensus that whilst ATI has come a HUGE distance from what they have been in the past, and their drivers are much better than they were even a year ago, there are still some differences between them and Nvidia.

Thanks for the explanations.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 09:11:54 pm by Dash Jones »

kevlar

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 08:39:07 pm »
From what I have read,  It had nothing to do with your or any other taldren customer post but with . hm..well..... let the past pass...  

Cruis.In

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 08:47:14 pm »
I have a radeon9000m in my laptop myself which play sfc on, actually its the cpu i use for everything now.

ive never bought into the ati bad drivers bull. since i got an ati a couple years ago with 2nd pc, always liked it.
never had a problem.

SeanDumas

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 08:57:30 pm »
We have removed a thread which had some unwise comments.  One very poor comment came from our staff.  I would like to point out that I do not agree with the comment that was made.  And Taldren as a company does not support the statements made either.  Typically, one of the most difficult aspects of PC developement is compatiblility.  Not a single hardware manufacture can be singled out for poor driver writing.  As a developer, one of the worst things you can do is become lazy and choose one particular brand and try to conform to its standards, yet ignore the others.  This is something Taldren does not wish to do.  Many developers made this mistake in the past when tailoring their game engines to the then industry leader, 3DFX.  Their games had trouble running on NVidia or other brands.

Regards,

Sean C. Dumas

Toasty0

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 09:07:55 pm »
{WARNING: Thread hijacking in progress}

Sean,

It the myth true that Taldren is/was the name of a AD&D character you once role-played?

Best,
Jerry  

SeanDumas

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 09:37:53 pm »
No, that was Zachary Drummond's D&D character.  We had many name ideas including Ronin.  Watchfire Games was the name we originally founded the business on.  Erik came up with Watchfire.  It has something to do with our history of coming in and rescuing Publishers from blazing projects.  However we were poor at the time and a company in Canada was already using that name, so we sold it to them.  We liked the sound of Zach's D&D character/handle.  It was a made up word so it was easier to get the rights to the .com,.net.org...  We also wanted to associate ourselves with imagination and fantasy role-playing.

Regards,

Sean C. Dumas

Subspace

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 09:43:17 pm »
didnt know that   Cool !!  

Scorpion

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 11:16:01 pm »
I personally use an ati card and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.  I have had nothing wrong with the drivers either.  So I can't really see why anyone would say such things about ati's drivers.  I have used both nvidia and ati cards before and I personally prefer ati over nvidia.    

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 11:17:49 pm »
While we're plugging video cards...

I'd just like to say that my good old Matrox Millenium G450
runs the full SFC series flawlessly!

Wish I could afford the new Parhelia...

Matrox  

Corbomite

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2003, 11:20:40 pm »
My Etch-A-Sketch makes real pretty pictures.

David Ferrell

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2003, 11:21:36 pm »
Quote:

I personally use an ati card and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.  I have had nothing wrong with the drivers either.  So I can't really see why anyone would say such things about ati's drivers.  I have used both nvidia and ati cards before and I personally prefer ati over nvidia.    

I said it and I regret having done so.

I am glad ATI users are having great experiences with SFC3.

Sincerely,

Dave  

Gamester

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2003, 11:25:15 pm »
I find ATI products to be fairly solid hardware-wise, but they do need to better their driver QA.. My wife is running a Radeon 8500, and my uncle is running a Radeon 7000 - both on my recomendations (My wife got the 8500 when it was the big ATI card, and my Uncle got the 7000 because it is good and cheap - as in $50 at CompUSA for 32M AGP). The problem is that their newest Catalyst 3.0 drivers, while faster then the 2.x series, don't work well with Medieval: Total War (text on menus flickers) and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (The background video on the main menu COVERS the menu so you can't see what you are clicking on). I have informed ATI of the problem through their customer service link, but they just brushed me off and told me it was probably ajust my software. This on a fresh install of Windows! I had to downgrade my Uncle to Catalyst 2.5 so he could play these two games. This is of course a far cry better than the laptop graphics abortion known as the Rage Mobility M1 I had in my last laptop.

On the other side of the coin, I  also remember back in the day (lol) when 3DFx was king of the hill and the TNT & TNT2 cards were new nVidia device drivers were equally horrible.  I remember one customer to the computer store I worked in back then needing something like 5 different versions of the video drivers to play all his games. He'd just load in whichever version worked best with whatever game he wanted to play! Also, there was the time a friend of mine bought a TNT (Diamond Viper V550) for his 350MHz K6-2 computer using the VIA MVP3 chipset - that was pretty hellish. Took 2 months to find a VIA AGP driver and nVidia driver combo that would leave his system stable and usable. I swore I'd NEVER buy an nVidia card (now I own a GeForce 3 - nothing less could wean me from my Matrox G400 Max) Oh, the memories!

Gamester

PS - If the Matrox Parhelia had lived up to my expectations, I'd own that. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING can touch Matrox on picture quality, sharpness and color vibrance. I hooked my G400 Max up to a crap monitor once, and it made it look GOOD! This card lives on in my Dual P2-350 workstation.

Lepton1

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 12:20:28 am »
I was going to say something but I guess Dave has probably suffered enough.  Perhaps the proof in the pudding could be what happens with ATI-compatibility from here on.

Alexander1701

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2003, 12:37:01 am »
  I would like to apologize. I am the one who started this whole thing. I was unclear, and I am sorry.

Let me begin by saying that ATI makes wonderful products on the whole. I used one failing, the original Rage series video card, in order to illustrate a point. I was attempting to defend Taldren from comments made regarding their irresponsibility for making an incompatible product. One person claimed that they had a top of the line system, so it must be compatible. I was using the Rage card in order to illustrate that the more expensive is not always the more compatible in general. The best plans and tests cannot account for everything. I personally think that the Rage card is a good metaphor for this.

I do not intend to insult ATI. I know not whereing lies the fault with the Rage, nor do I care. More recently produced ATI products are of the highest calibre. I still buy ATI products. This was merely, and a cannot stress this enough, an example of how the most expensive does not guarrantee the best.

I am still, however, sorry if my comments produced a negative reaction to ATI and their products. This was not my intention, as I specifically pointed out no fewer than 3 times in my post the overall quality of the Rage cards. I merely stated 100% compatability to be impossible. Any implications or inferations were completely unintentional.

Alexander

Toasty0

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2003, 01:06:20 am »

Just to get more familiar with ATI and who they are here are a couple of links. This is more about the corp than the products they sell.

First, a little link to something ATI is a major sponsor of:  http://www.gdfest.com/ This is some really exciting stuff and I hope to see Taldren's next, super secret project as part of this event or an event simular to GDFest.

Next is ATI's very own press release page. My hat is off to them for their very open, all revealing press release statements:  http://mirror.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2003/4602.html .

Enjoy folks.

Best,
Jerry  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Toasty0 »

Dash Jones

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2003, 04:15:06 am »
Quote:

I find ATI products to be fairly solid hardware-wise, but they do need to better their driver QA.. My wife is running a Radeon 8500, and my uncle is running a Radeon 7000 - both on my recomendations (My wife got the 8500 when it was the big ATI card, and my Uncle got the 7000 because it is good and cheap - as in $50 at CompUSA for 32M AGP). The problem is that their newest Catalyst 3.0 drivers, while faster then the 2.x series, don't work well with Medieval: Total War (text on menus flickers) and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (The background video on the main menu COVERS the menu so you can't see what you are clicking on). I have informed ATI of the problem through their customer service link, but they just brushed me off and told me it was probably ajust my software. This on a fresh install of Windows! I had to downgrade my Uncle to Catalyst 2.5 so he could play these two games. This is of course a far cry better than the laptop graphics abortion known as the Rage Mobility M1 I had in my last laptop.

On the other side of the coin, I  also remember back in the day (lol) when 3DFx was king of the hill and the TNT & TNT2 cards were new nVidia device drivers were equally horrible.  I remember one customer to the computer store I worked in back then needing something like 5 different versions of the video drivers to play all his games. He'd just load in whichever version worked best with whatever game he wanted to play! Also, there was the time a friend of mine bought a TNT (Diamond Viper V550) for his 350MHz K6-2 computer using the VIA MVP3 chipset - that was pretty hellish. Took 2 months to find a VIA AGP driver and nVidia driver combo that would leave his system stable and usable. I swore I'd NEVER buy an nVidia card (now I own a GeForce 3 - nothing less could wean me from my Matrox G400 Max) Oh, the memories!

Gamester

PS - If the Matrox Parhelia had lived up to my expectations, I'd own that. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING can touch Matrox on picture quality, sharpness and color vibrance. I hooked my G400 Max up to a crap monitor once, and it made it look GOOD! This card lives on in my Dual P2-350 workstation.

There are other problems with ATI drivers as well, now that you mention it, with other games.  For example, I prefer to play Neverwinter Nights solely on an Nvidia machine simply because the ones with the ATI cards have a flicker with the mouse controls, and are not as clean in visual quality with that game (which I also have to admit has been buggy in and of itself moreso than most other games in the past).  The catalyst 3.0 drivers, which I have not rolled back (I like them to a degree) have had some pretty painful headaches as far as certain video applications I have.  And then, though the programming itself is probably the cause, and suspect, even admitted by some that it is the problem, I have heard you should not play SimCity 4 with all the bells and whistles and recent ATI cards (Oh heck, I pick that game up tomorrow hopefully!  I'll see then whether those rumors are true as pertaining to the machines I use or not!  Or if I can trouble shoot through it myself!).

I have had some problems with Nvidia I admit, but nothing compared to the headaches I constantly suffer from ATI.  However, ATI cards DO have better specs as a whole in my opinion, which is one major factor some suffer through the problems with the drivers when they have them.  I personally can't really tell the difference all that much, as most of the differences are not instantly noticeable to the naked eye overall, unless used by a discriminate observer in the matter.  This ease which I've had both with Nvidia troubleshooting, and the ease I've had with it's drivers overall have driven me more towards an Nvidia leaning...of course, their drivers have had problems too on occasion which have caused some headaches with some games.

So, basically, I use Nvidia when I want to have pure fun, and ATI when I want speed, such as online gaming such as UT2k and such.  Everyone has their preference.  I can remember the TNT driver thing as well!  As well as 3dfx!  In fact, up until extremely recently, I had a 3dfx machine as well as an Intel chipset Machine both (as far as graphics go).  They are gone now.  Nvidia drivers also have come a FAAAAAAAAAAAR way.  Don't know why I think ATI is better at specs (probably because everyone tells me they are) since when I reflect on it, I don't really notice it, I just trust what others state.  I have experienced more difficulties with ATI drivers than SOME other cards, which should be obvious.

However, as I stated before, ATI is good enough with their drivers that I now consider them valid for heavy consideration on what I will do next with card upgrades.  I've heard good things and bad things about the 9700.  I've also heard mostly bad things about the FX.  My experiences with Nvidia make me still consider it, but I am still waiting for the big comparisons between them and the information that will come down concerning how the FX handles as far as drivers (not as promising as other things in the past) and compatibility with upgrading.  So it means that I do think ATI does have drivers which generally work in most regards, and are great for gaming.

I believe that ATI cards DID have LESS major gamestopping problems as a whole than Nvidia GeForce 2's with SFC3 however (or am I mistaken), though I still have had less problems with Nvidia and games as a whole.

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2003, 12:02:11 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Sincerely,

Dave  

Congrats, it takes allot of guts to accept responsibility. I personally have owned both ati and nvidia cards, and although i find the software updates of nvidia to be supperior to those of ati, i'd rather have ati hardware any day of the week. And i'm not saying this because i'm canadian    

FEDX-Laad

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2003, 01:46:20 pm »
i don't know $40 bucks for my nvidia geforce 4 and a driver that works vs ati which regardless what taldren says still can't figure out how to make a driver work with their hardware.

Strafer

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2003, 01:48:02 pm »
I can say 1 thing about the ATI drivers.
The drivers included with Windows 2000 for the Rage Fury line doesn't work well with SFC:OP.
The skin isn't being displayed, only a black silhouette against the BG.
Updating to drivers provided by ATI direct works like a charm. Full detail, damage and all.

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2003, 04:59:36 pm »
what is this "ATI Direct" that you speak of?

LongTooth

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2003, 09:45:55 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Sincerely,

Dave  

Be very careful about posting on theses fourms about codeing whether good or bad as it could get you banned
Ati make very good cards and its good to so that the drivers are improveing all the time

SghnDubh

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2003, 09:51:49 pm »

I run an ATI Radeon 8500 128MB card in my P4 1.8.

It's an excellent card. Fast, smooth, and easy to configure.

On par, or slightly better, than the NVIDIA I ran before that.

With the latest XP drivers, I am totally satisfied with my ATI card,

I have never had problems with it,

and I recommend it highly.

FWIW,
SghnDubh

Prae

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2003, 05:45:22 am »
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've got a Radeon 9000 now and I have had absolutely no trouble with it, granted I haven't had it that long but its much better than my GeForce 3 and the drivers seem good too.  

**DONOTDELETE**

It's dark in here...
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2003, 07:51:09 am »
I still prefer Matrox video cards over any other.

(How far can we put our heads up ATI's a...? Oh right , sorry...)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by rajnsaj »

korus

Re: It's dark in here...
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2003, 10:58:41 am »
  Hey, I plan on getting a new rig in a few months and after being a ATI card user for 8 years now I'm thinking of switching to an Nvidia chipset.  Is anyone using a Leadtek Winfast? Or MSI? I was thinking of using one of those cards... Thanks!

Korus

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2003, 11:17:48 am »
 If I were going to buy an nVidia chipset video card,
I would buy one of these:  ASUS® Graphics Cards,
as I trust the name and reputation for quality hardware.
I tend to shy away from any card sold on the basis of economy.
(i.e.: Leadtek Winfast, or MSI)
I have installed Leadtek, MSI and ASUS video cards and have
recieved the least performance complaints about the ASUS products.

But, I still highly reccomend Matrox.  

zaniwhoop2

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2003, 11:19:19 am »
Quote:

Hey, I plan on getting a new rig in a few months and after being a ATI card user for 8 years now I'm thinking of switching to an Nvidia chipset.  Is anyone using a Leadtek Winfast? Or MSI? I was thinking of using one of those cards... Thanks!

Korus

ATI has a superior product in every price range, but if you want nVidia, it doesn't matter unless you're going to overclock it (same is generally true with ATI). Look for whichever one has the best game bundle. Most have TV-out and DVI, but if you don't use those features, it's useless.  

Hertston

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2003, 04:01:57 pm »
Nothing wrong with ATI products, and never has been... but  I switched to Nvidia with my current PC (GF4 Ti 4600 ) simply for compability... no matter how you dress it up, software devs develop for Nvidia first.   Consequently, you can get compatibility problems on occasion with ATI cards (insufficient care or testing or whatever) but I know damn well whatever I buy will work perfectly with my card.      Unfortunately, that wouldn't be the case if I had an ATI board installed.  Not ATI's fault, but just the way it is - unless they can come up with something so kick-ass for the money compared with Nvidia developers really sit up and take notice.  

KATChuutRitt

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2003, 07:51:24 pm »
Looks like the waste of a good sticky to me.

Toasty0

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2003, 09:00:36 pm »
Quote:

I'm inclined to agree. But, then again, I'm not the one facing the 800 pound advertising gorilla who is thowing advertising money about the internet gaming commmunity like a 1930's Chicago ganster.

In Las Vegas we have a saying that I'll tone down for this venue. "Money talks, all others walk." I'm sure you get the drift. These folks at ATI are talking loud and clear and I'm sure it is in Taldren's better interest to listen.

{NOTE: I speak for only myself in this post and in no way respresent or pretend to represent any position or any employee's position at Taldren. The opinions expressed in this post are soloely mine and do not any way reflect Taldren.}      

wilfbrim

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2003, 02:45:39 am »
I have used TNT, TNT2, GeForce MX200 and lately an ATI Radeon 9000Pro. The Deal is this people: Every company makes a product that is what they deem best in both a hardware/software performance combination. Then they will tweak drivers, etc. to match what they see as issues. With hundreds of games, dozens of graphic engines, it is impossible to make one that is the best for all and affordable. I have had no issues running SFC 1,2,3 on any of these cards, except the bugs that come up. Some bugs are buggier on some drivers than others. It relates to the battle over processors. I work for Intel, and yet I prefer SiS chipsets as being stable compared to Intel's. So I buy them. You all do the same, and buy what you percieve as the best for your platform. Remember, It is not just Grapic cards and SFC, you also have the integral chipset drivers, OS drivers and the interfacing of all of them to contribute to masking the issues. I believe Taldren does the best it can with smoothing out all platform issues, and the result is not all will run as good as others, and all the reasons come into play: Cards, software, chipsets, memory (DDR can do strange things, Rambus as well), memory allocation, and so on. I personally did not think there was anything really bad in anything said about hardware in the forums, but I am the last one to confess to having spent a long time here. Computers are just entering a period of adulthood, and as more common standards are adopted, there will be less problems with hardware. I would remind everyone when DDR333 came out, there were intially a huge mess with finding DDR that would work with specific DDR chipsets. Find what you think is best, and tailor it to meet your needs as best you can. Maybe a harwadre forum would help with identifying issues and commonalities??  

KATChuutRitt

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2003, 07:45:23 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I'm inclined to agree. But, then again, I'm not the one facing the 800 pound advertising gorilla who is thowing advertising money about the internet gaming commmunity like a 1930's Chicago ganster.

In Las Vegas we have a saying that I'll tone down for this venue. "Money talks, all others walk." I'm sure you get the drift. These folks at ATI are talking loud and clear and I'm sure it is in Taldren's better interest to listen.

{NOTE: I speak for only myself in this post and in no way respresent or pretend to represent any position or any employee's position at Taldren. The opinions expressed in this post are soloely mine and do not any way reflect Taldren.}      

Likely true Toasty thanks for the heads up!....

« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 03:50:21 am by KATChuutRitt »

Admiral_CRS

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2003, 09:06:17 am »
In regard to the question about which Nvidia card to buy, I would check out Gainwards cards, I have used one of their GF3 and GF4 and have been completely satisfied.

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2003, 12:06:33 pm »
Gainswards are great in general, but be careful of their Ti4200 GF4 as they have had a lot of manufacturing issues with it (i.e. lots of DOA's), otherwise I have found them to be great overclockers.

Gamester

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2003, 11:05:38 pm »
Hey, fellas!

The strangest cool thing happened today (2/10/03). I was checking my E-Mail and noticed a msg entitled "ATI Catalyst Drivers" Apparently ATI's Senior Product Manager for the Catalyst Driver program reads the Taldren boards! He wrote me an e-mail asking me for details about my customer service experience with ATI. You just never know when what you have to say will hit the right ears!

Gamester

SSCF Hooch

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2003, 11:11:22 pm »
Quote:

Hey, fellas!

The strangest cool thing happened today (2/10/03). I was checking my E-Mail and noticed a msg entitled "ATI Catalyst Drivers" Apparently ATI's Senior Product Manager for the Catalyst Driver program reads the Taldren boards! He wrote me an e-mail asking me for details about my customer service experience with ATI. You just never know when what you have to say will hit the right ears!

Gamester

Now this is customer service.

Hooch

PS
I have only used ATI cards and they are very dependable for gaming, never had an issue with the AGP cards.

KATChuutRitt

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2003, 11:24:57 pm »
That is a great show of customer service an immediate and prompt reply, Have to give them a   for that one.

Akhilles

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2003, 08:22:47 am »
I don't hold alot of respect for ATI after their benchmark debacle.

They hard coded their drivers to look for the Quake executable, so they could skew the benchmark. This was proven after renaming the Quake executable and re-running the test. Sad.

KBF-Dogmatix

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2003, 07:18:59 pm »
Yes...that's a tad unseemly, but we've seen this sort of thing before.  I mean, Intel used to get away with murder on benchmarks that were geared towards their special, proprietary instruction set.  In fact, I remember hearing reports of pressure being exerted on the part of Intel to make sure certain benchmarks went their way as a method of keeping AMD down.  Finally, AMD broke out from under that thumb with the advent of the Athlon and hasn't had to look back yet.

I imagine ATI's shennanigans were born out of desperation.  The Radeon 8500 release was either going to keep them alive or kill them.  Frankly, I'm glad they stayed alive...so nVidia can no longer easily get away with charging $400-$500 for a freaking graphics adapter.

I currently own three ATI products (7500 in my laptop, 8500 on one of my desktops and 9700 Pro in my newest box) and my first CGA card way back in the day (1986?) was an ATI card (I even stil have the purple fluffy ball with feet, eyes and antennae that came with it) and am quite happy with all three products though I haven't tried running SFC3 on my 9700 Pro, yet...haven't been moved to play that game, lately.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by KBF-Dogmatix »

Hawkwind

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2003, 11:56:52 am »
LOL.

While I can totally understand Taldren for making this statement, I can't say I agree with it.

I've been a Engineer all my life (over 20 years) and would hazard a guess that I've have installed more of their cards into machines than anyone currently working for ATI.

Basically (and this is solely my own professional opinion), Great cards probably one of the best if not the best out there, totally let down by their drivers and support.  So much so that I don't supply them as standard in any machine I build now.

Yup, there will be many users that have few problems however I can certainly tell you there's a hell of alot that do, and it's not exactly a secret either, this has been the state of play for years.

This has always been one area that Nvidia etc has always been ahead of, and perhaps one of the main reasons why they are where they are today, because people like myself plump for them because we know we'll have far fewer headaches supporting them.

Credit where's credits due, and like I say that's my own opinion and has nothing to do at all with Taldren, and well if ya want to waste your time comming after a guy like me instead of improving your products well go for it!. ROFL

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Hawkwind »

Intrepid-XC

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2003, 02:10:19 pm »
Well I recently went form a Geforce 3 to an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro.  The difference is incredible.  I run with 8X AA and 16x AS with great framerates (In fact they are as good as teh GF4 Ti 4600 with no AA and AS).  As for drivers the Catalyst 3.0 and now the 3.1 drivers have produced absolutly no problems.  Before the catalyst team, I would have agreed that ATI had crap for drivers, but the Catalyst team is on top of things,  and I feel they are finally producing quality drivers for ATI.    

KBF-Dogmatix

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2003, 04:51:00 pm »
Well, Hawkwind...drivers may have been an issue once upon a time, but they certaily aren't anymore.  I don't see much to be gained by continuing to live in the past on this account.  Granted...driver problems were a problem as recently as a few months ago, but the Catalyst team is getting their act together and to continue to ignore ATI because of their drivers seems kind of silly, at this point.

Of course, you have a business to run and you must to what works for you.  As an end-user, I'm happy with ATI and I choose to make choices (painful though they may be, at times) that favor makretplace competition so I don't have to be held hostage by relative monopolies.  I continue to do my part to see that companies like nVidia and Intel have lively competition in the likes of ATI and AMD.

David Ferrell

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2003, 05:52:35 pm »
It seems, as far as drivers go at least, I am an old fool who is out of
touch with reality.

I'm glad to hear that ATI is kicking some tail with thier Catalyst drivers.

Thanks,

Dave  

Dash Jones

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2003, 07:59:21 pm »
Well, there's hell breaking out with the new catalyst drivers, and Neverwinter Nights (which is buggy as heck to begin with...so I suppose it's not surprising).  Overall though, despite how fun it might be to point it towards ATI, in this case I think the fault probably lies mostly in Bioware and their idea of their 1.28 patch, which causes havoc with ATI...BUT once you have updated to DX9 and other small things, as well as making sure you have the correct version of the 1.28 patch apparantly, it runs much better than before.

Nvidia runs well with NWN without the need to upgrade from what I understand.  As I said, it would be fun to poke fun at ATI, but it probably in all likelyhood is Bioware and what they put in the patch, as no other games I know of right now have problems with the 3.1 release (which I've heard almost completely good things about thus far!).

Sartonius

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2003, 02:02:45 am »
I find that with compatibility issues, more often than not the ATI drivers offer "too much control"...   In other words, the system options can override the game's options and settings, or the game can override the system options only to have the system attempt to re-exert control...  or some bizarre combination of the above resulting in weird things happening like text displaying incorrectly when filtering is enabled, for example.  Or, the Radeon 7000 / 7200 / 7500 (all of which are the same except they have different RAM types and amounts on them) having some backwards compatibility problems with games designed to use a 4 MB "early" 3D accelerator that I tried out.

ONCE you get it going, the Radeon cards are quite good.  I was using a 7200, but it crapped out because of my "experimental" system (lol).  I bought a 9000 Pro to replace it and I think it's quite good.  I finally decided that for older and/or "noncompatible" games I would just go down to the local computer junk store and build myself an "old-fashioned" system to ensure greater backwards compatibility:  a PII 233 with a Voodoo3 3DFX card, a Sound Blaster AWE32, and Windows 98.  Runs old games, 3DFX games, old DOS games, DOS 3DFX games, and finally 3D type games such as the X-Wing Collector's trilogy (highly reccomended, btw) that don't work well with new accelerators and only work in windows 98.  And still surfs the web in style.  I spent about $75 US on it and a little bit of spare time.  I named it the USS Legacy.  <g>  But it's only because of the same driver issues we started off discussing in the first place made it more economical to.  In the end, that's because it's no longer plug-and-play like it oughta be.

What would be really nice is if you only ever needed to use the "override" controls for the card very rarely.  Software developers, card developers, and Microsoft's DirectX team ought to work on a new standard.  DirectX should be able to read any game using any version of DirectX, determine what it uses, what can be successfully applied to it and what cannot, automatically enable and disable certain functions of the card, make some adjustable performance-issue decisions on the basis of your system's clock and memory, and start the thing going without so much fiddling.  Call it "plug and play"  for games or something.  Then it wouldn't matter which drivers you had going.  The only difference would be on concrete performance:  speed in multiplayer; speed on slower systems; stability; and what you actually see once the game goes.  It's far too "willy nilly" now.

Dash Jones

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2003, 09:44:22 am »
More ATI problems, this time with SimCity 4.  Actually, it's not that bad and for me, not the showstopper people have complained about, in fact, it's not bad to say the least, overall.  Their patch did not help however.

I've heard though, that some people with the new Nvidia drivers can't run the game at all, so in that light, I suppose I should count my blessings.  Haven't run into that problem yet, but I thought to be fair and show all sides of the thing, I should include that little point as well.

LongTooth

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2003, 10:06:34 am »
Any one know how well ati runs with max? need a new card and ati seems the best over all
Just need to know if its going to like max or not

zaniwhoop2

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2003, 01:24:43 pm »
I believe xbitlabs.com has an article on the Radeon and Quadro series in 3DS Max. They use the professional series though.  Article Here  They actually took a Radeon 9700 Pro and modified it so the drivers would think it was a professional series.  

Dash Jones

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2003, 02:14:19 pm »
Quote:

I believe xbitlabs.com has an article on the Radeon and Quadro series in 3DS Max. They use the professional series though.  Article Here  They actually took a Radeon 9700 Pro and modified it so the drivers would think it was a professional series.  

Though some of it was a little confusing to me, I believe their conclusion came in favor (and their pictures seemed to show it) of the Nvidia Quadro FX.

Also, if you link on the page for the Radeon, that's an interesting way to modify the Radeon card.  I wouldn't want to attempt something like that though, waaaay to delicate I would imagine.

Mavolic

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2003, 06:27:25 pm »
It may have been posted before this, but I didn't read every post in this thread, so forgive me..

www.rage3d.com has some indepth information on the ATI line of video cards and drivers.  They also have ATI employees responding in their forums.

Not to metion some very useful tweaks.

If you have any doubts about the Radeon line of video cards, especially the 9000 series on up, you could learn alot about how far ATI has come.

If you think Nvidia is the only player on the block, and that their hardware and software never have any problems, you best take the blinders off.

I've used 3dfx, Nvidia, and now ATI, I have to say the 9700pro I am using now is simply outstanding.

I've play a few of those "problem" games, and I don't seem to be experiencing near the same problems being reported.  It probably has to do with the fact that I have started from a fresh install of WinXP Pro, so I'm not having to fight hidden compatability troubles.

Try installing your OS, any service packs, DirectX, THEN the Catalyst drivers.  I imagine some of those "crappy ATI driver" problems go away.

I've been using Nvidia cards for the past couple of years and have seen some strange hardware compatibilty problems, funky game problems, and some really weak Dentonator driver releases.

In other words, I don't really see any major advantage that Nvidia has in terms of driver support anymore.  Yes at one time they were the masters at drivers, but they too have had their share of "crappy" drivers.  So acting like Nvidia can do no wrong, is only fooling yourself.

The GeforceFX is an overclocked-to-hell-and-back video card, that still can't soundly beat the Radeon 9700Pro running a 500mhz clock vs. a 325mhz clock.  Not to metion clock speed isn't everything.  Just as with processors, motherboards, and memory, video cards depend on bandwith just as much as clock speed, and that's the biggest disappointment with the GeforceFX.  Also the quality settings such as AA, Anisotropic Filtering, and just overall image quality is stil pulled off better by the 9700pro than the FX.  

In so far as "skewed" benchmark on cards.  ATI hasn't done anything that Nvidia and Intel hasn't done already.  Nowdays every video card manafacture optimise for benchmarks.  Your in deep trouble if you don't.  In this day and age, people want to look at bar chart and some numbers to do their decision making for them instead of putting any effort into finding out themselves.  

On the Rage3D forums, much like the Taldren forums, it is very impressive to see the active partcipation by ATI on those boards.   They have been going above and beyond to try and squash the "driver myth" that is still continued by people.  Put it this way, I don't see anything Nvidia is doing now that is any better than what ATI is doing.  

But hey, for the Nvidia fanboys, if you sleep better at night by sticking only to the Geforce cards, then it's your money.  But a couple of points to keep in mind if and when you get your FX.

1) The Radeon 9700Pro has been on the market for SIX months.  That's alot of time for the developers at ATI to work on mature driver sets.  Especially considering the FX isn't even avalible yet, how long do you suppose it's going to take Nvidia to squash their bugs with the card?

2) The Radeon 9700Pro has a proven track record, that sorta comes from being out for a half a year.  The GeforceFX has been delayed more than once, and still isn't availible yet.  So which company do you think is on top of things?  Nvidia or ATI?  Which company seems to be scrambling to catch up, and which one seems to be on cruise control?  ATI's upgrade to the R300 chip is right around the corner.  Anyone want to hazard a guess that the R350 chip will surpass the R300 chip? That's kinda of scary to think about.  Especially if your Nvidia.

Maybe you can call me a ATI fanboy, but I don't swear loyalty to just one company.  I like to keep my options open and because of that attitude I have been rewarded in my purchases.   I like what ATI has to offer these days, over and above what Nvidia has to offer.   You keep putting out innovative and good products, I will usually give you shot.   This time around it's ATI's turn.  Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm currently a very happy customer.

I don't want to see Nvidia crumble from the market that's bad for the consumer.  In fact I hope Nvidia rise to the challange to give ATI the good fight.   That's what keeps great products rolling out the door and good prices on top of that.  

I find it kinda of ironic that the first time in two years I will be using a different video card than a Geforce, but when it came time for new motherboard, I ended up going with one powered by a Nvidia nForce2 chipset.  Why?  because right now the nForce2 chipset is the best chipset out for an AthlonXP platform.   Why did I pick an AthlonXP instead of Intel?  I like the price, perfomance, package better than what Intel was offering.  Sure Intel has the 3.06ghz Hyperthreading two-headed monster for their top chip, but I wasn't interested in paying 650 bucks for it.  And anything outside of that chip doesn't impress me enough to get an Intel.  So AMD still has my buissness.

As for the people who currently having problems with ATI cards, I dunno what to say to you, my system runs just fine.

In short, try not basing your opinions off of hersay on various products, or getting into a panic fit because of Joe #859499494 has written the-end-of-the-world problem report on his video card in some games forum.  You don't know how well that guy's (or gal's) system is running.  Probably 95% of problems reported stem from people who's system is far from running perfect, regardless if they swear up and down it is.  Seems most people will concentrate on the small percentage of people having problems, but continually ignore that the majority of people are not having the same problem.  

Also try not to keep your focus on just one line of products.  I think a good chunk of 3DFX owners are sorry that they did.

Primus2003

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2003, 07:14:35 pm »
In my previous computer I used on SFC 1 I admit with win 98.   WHen I had my ati all in wonder it was a great card.  When i got my most recent computer almost 2 years ago, it was due to the fact I was funded  through a little known bursary however they were picky about  areas where I did not have much choice.  I had to go to IBM, which was well how can I put it I am on my 2nd hard drive, 2nd video card and second power supply since I got this.   In less then 2 years.  Someone else I knew got the identicle one she well lets just leave it at in my opinion I will Never deal with IBM again and I will Never recommend it!  But to the point I got an nvidia card in it, I do not like it or its controls I am back to ATI.  It was and remains all of which in my opinion as well as that of a good number of my trech friends, the better product.  

Dash Jones

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2003, 11:09:20 pm »
Bit touchy aren't we.  Your suggested method of installing drivers is rather insane and I would tell people right now...not advised by ATI, lest you be uninstalling and reinstalling your OS every week.  In order to get the latests updates in the frequency they come out, saying your staying on top of an XP system...would require that in the order you are stating, not to mention the additional times that are required when they release their own updated drivers.  Nvidia doesn't require or suggest it either for their drivers.  It might get you, as you say a clean running system, but there's hardly anyone who actually does that as much as you are suggesting...if we take you literally on your words.

The problems I listed recently were things I experienced on the ATI cards personally, in addition to having a flock of others having the same problems.  Now much of the problems could be attributed to gamemakers focusing more on Nvidia compatibility than ATI...but who really knows?  There are a lot of game makers.  Anyone who says they've never had problems with their card or chipset though, have either never pushed their computer any, or are suspect.  Sure, I'm certain there are some out there...who are incredibly lucky.

So you know I am not an Isolated event with the Simcity 4 phenomenon (which I have downplayed tremendously from some of the people you meet calling bloody murder over it)...from the exact site you put up...

Quote:

SimCity 4 Patch - 8:43 pm EST - MrB
Maxis has released a patch for SimCity 4. Ver 1.0.242.0

This resolves the following issues:

Fixed crash related to conflict between MySim and Transportation Pack.

Fixed crash related to SIS video chipsets.

Fixed several broken links in advisor messages.

Fixed car zots to display properly.

Fixed bug where the catalog was showing the incorrect capacity for the Recycling Center.

Fixed bug where industry development would occur even when commuters could not reach the zone.

Added support for ATI Radeon R300 series that add backing store capability.

Added option to turn off auto-road when zoning behavior by holding the shift-key while zoning.

Added option to change orientation of lots when zoning by holding the alt-key while zoning.

Added whales.

Retuned pollution values for airports and seaports.

Port efficiency is now displayed correctly.

Airport upgrading now works correctly (based on current use).

Freight trains can now drop cargo at ports.

New zone graphics now better indicate the front of lots.

Sadly only the R300 now has it. That leaves the 9000, 8500, 7500 and the 7000 line to add. I'll find out about that. I tried playing it after the patch and it didn't seem like a big difference. But that could be because I haven't played it in awhile. If you noticed a noticeable improvement with the patch feel free to mail me

As you notice, sadly, it didn't do anything for helping me in my problems.  ATI hasn't done anything in their recent updated drivers either.  I'm not making the things up I'm saying, and I can say, that probably, on your perfect running system, in all likelyhood, you'd run into these bugs as well, or at least some of them...unless you configure your system even better than ATI does theirs, or Maxis.

However, don't take this harshly...I'm a tad touchy.  I admit it could be anything, from WinXP (Which has caused me more gaming grief thus far than anyother OS...that includes WinME and 2000, heck, I've seriously considered converting to Linux...then I wake up and remind myself howmany games are made for Linux (though I do love freeciv).  It could be any number of things.  It could even be I'm better or more lucky with Nvidia products than any other productline (Though even I know they have problems at times...like say certain GeForce 2's and SFC 3 at one point, or the Nvidia problem I mentioned some were having with SimCity 4).

I am glad there are people that will vouch for ATI.  They almost always have better specs on their cards when compared to Nvidia in my eyes...which is probably why there are 4 computers with ATI AIW cards in them in the very room I am sitting in right now.  I just found your suggestion of installing all updates after you install the OS, and then, after that, to get a clean running system, you install the drivers...in that order (which suggests that you need to do a clean install of OS to updates everytime you change the system...aka, get an update) a little odd considering how often updates come out...thus telling people, though it may help tremendously at clearing out problems...that I don't actually think ATI, Nvidia, or any other chipset or card maker would actually suggest most people doing that.  Their idea I think is to create a driver that works with everything already working fine and installed without having to do reinstallations.  At least that's my impression considering the ease with which they made putting the new drivers on your machine (click and they go on and write over the old ones...at least most of the time).

The above article however, is showing test results in certain areas in comparison of the Nvidia FX I believe, and they include a comparison of that against the ATI...which turns up some interesting results.  Seeing that I don't think the site is an Nvidia or ATI site, I expect it would be a little less biased than Nvidia or ATI doing those same tests and reporting the results.

It was a little surprise to me considering all I had heard had pointed out to a Noisy card which you could use as a hairdryer and still wouldn't outperform the ATI in any area was the next little thing coming from Nvidia...and in that light, with the results they showed, has put me up to look a little harder at what the FX will do and look like when it comes out.

Both card companies can be good, however I do find it a little odd that ATI is getting a sticky, almost as if they are...well I won't say it.

At least ATI has good tech support overall.  Never had to call Nvidia to find out about their's yet, so I couldn't tell you about that...but ATI's does get an A+ for tech support if that makes anyone feel any better.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dash Jones »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2003, 12:49:29 am »
Don't believe everything you read in reviews either. I used to be involved with Hi-End audio and had the oppertunity to talk to more than one designer of truely esoteric, hi end equiptment. ALL of them told me that if you wanted a good review from some of the really, really respected reviewers you had to give them the equiptment they were reviewing for extended periods. ie, until they were bored with it, which was usually about 6mos. to a year. For some of these manufacturers that would be upwards of 30 or 40 thousand dollars worth of product. If they couldn't do it then the review would be less than favorable. I'm not saying that this is the case here. Just that not all reviewers are as unbiased as they may want you to believe. Be especially aware of reviews that tell you that the product being reviewed is now in their reference system. Rarely did they buy it. Usually the manufacturer gave it to them for/because of the review.

Mavolic

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2003, 04:00:20 am »
I can completely uninstall the Catalyst drivers and install the lastest ones without having to reinstall Windows each time.   Still runs perfect.

If there is anything to slam about ATI drivers, is that getting them completely uninstalled can be the problem.  In order to do it right, you need  use your search feature and kill off the rest of the clutter left behind.   RegCleaner comes in real handy to clean up your registery.

But after that,  installing the new drivers goes without a hitch.

People tend to want to treat their computers like a  toaster.  No added maintenence deemed neccessary.   You keep your OS going for a year or two,  trust me, your system is far from perfect.  The only computers I see that can keep going for years without a fresh install of the OS tend to be buissness computers that aren't going through a bunch of different driver updates, OS updates, and having such items like video cards and sound cards being replaced every year.   The reason they can last is because they rarely ever have any changes to them.   Now personal computers, that's a whole different story.  They can go through constant changes to numerous to list here.    But let's just say the Windows isn't exactly at it's best  when it comes  to keeping the clutter from interfering with it.   It's that clutter from left over driver uninstalls, various register clutter from long gone apps,  and basic junk that has been installed on the system.  You would be surprised how much faster and stable your computer is after a fresh install of Windows.

Back to my video card:

I have ran the 9700pro on two completely different systems, and both times it runs just about perfect.

I never stated any of their cards never have any problems, but then again I have had  game troubles with Nvidia cards and their drivers so anyone announcing that Nvidia has no problems just hasn't met the game/chipset/processors combos these quirks come up on.  

I have built a new system recently and have the benifit of reformating my hard drives several  times in the past month.  Not because of anything doing with my video card, just checking out each component and testing them out.  Once I get everything in order, I will throw on Windows and keep it  running for months.  But in that time I have yet had any problems getting the 9700pro stable.  If there was a component that was giving me trouble it was my ASUS motherboard, but nothing a bios upgarde couldn't fix.

I can reformat my hard drive, install the OS, get the neccessary updates, and get most of my important apps installed, and even tweak my system a bit in three hours time.   Three hours really isn't a long time to start from a fresh install of WIndows to fully fuctional system in my book.  Heck,  I've seen people spend more time detailing their cars on a Saturday afternoon.

As for games, I have thrown a few on over the past month to give my system a run through.  The current games and apps I have tried hasn't given my any gamestopping problems with my 9700Pro, but then again I don't mind having to tweak a game to get it to run correctly on my systems,  or search for patches and utilities to get around certain problems.  I know in time that most problems will be fixed by a patch from eiither the game company, or the video card company.  Of course most people don't have the patience I do when it comes to computers.  They want it now, perfect, and will run flawlessly on a infinate number of systems.   Even in the end, regardless of what you use,  nothing put out is 100% perfect.  I know ATI has had problems, and still has some problems with their past video cards.   I understand  that for a time that ATI had problems with thier drivers,  that in some cases have never been resolved.   Well, ATI knows that, understands that, and is actively trying to correct those past problems.  It's damned if you do, and damned if you don't with people.  That's the main reason that the 9700Pro is my first ATI video card.  They always had impressive video cards, but their driver support was sorely lacking.   I do my homework when it comes to buying anything.  That's the great thing about the internet, the world's biggest database of knowledge.  If I listen to nothing but the fanboys or the naysayers, would I truely be doing myself a service when buying a video card?   Probably not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't  treat a computer as a houshold appliance.  Maybe it's because I got into computing when the Apple ][e and the Commandore 64, IBM PC were kings.   Computers and OS's weren't built to be "dumb downed" for the masses.  It took a person to actually learn something to new in order to run them.  Not just hit the power switch and be greeted with a happy GUI.  It really wasn't that long ago that mouses were not standard equipment on a computer, nor did you just double click on an icon.  

Since that time I have built  countless number of computers, had to set up and run numerous pieces of hardware, and have to deal with several different OS's.  There  was no Windows, or USB, or plug and pray around when I first started.   The internet was a pipe dream.  Microsoft was more noted for it's Flight Simulator, than being the juggernaut OS leader they are today.  And believe or not, most of us didn't have a hard drive.  We ran everything out of the RAM.  Hard drives back then were insanely expensive.

It's because of that past that I  still look at computers as an ongoing project.   Something that needs to be tended to, not simply stuck on a desk and forgotten about.  To me they were never designed to be placed into the hands of people who didn't have the willpower to actually learn about what they were using.  Instead,  thanks to Microsoft and Apple,  now people expect them to be like that foremetioned toaster.

I keep hearing people say they don't have the time to do a reformat of their hard drives.  Oh but they have enough time to screw around on game message boards, and also play those games.  But nooo, can't do a reinstall  of WIndows.  Sorry if I don't buy into that.  People are lazy, they don't want to do it, but sorry, sometimes it's neccessary.  

It's really not that hard.  All that stuff you can collect on your hardrive can be transfered off that drive onto a partion, or second hard drive, or in my case, both.  

Personally I'm pretty anal when it comes to backing up my stuff.  If I have something on the C: drive that I really want to keep, it isn't too hard to transfer another copyt to another partion and my second hard drive.  I even go extra mile and burn some stuff onto CD's.  I'm just in the habit of never leaving anything important on the C: drive by itself.  I make copies.  Regardless of how much stuff you accumalate, there is always a way to make a copy of it.  The best way is just to purchase another hard drive.

I keep folders for every little thing I download.  The reason I can get my system up to speed from scratch pretty fast is that I  have darn near everything I need stored on my second hard drive.   Once an OS is installed, it nothing more than point and click.  I even have my serial numbers stored in text document, so I can simply cut and past them into the fields.   Every driver I download is filtered off into it's own folder. That folder has three copies to it.  One on my parition, one on my second hard drive, and one on my CD.
It's almost scary how fast I can get my systems up and running, and do most of it using one hand on the mouse.

Game folders and patches can be saved.  If I have any saved games on my system that I want to keep, I simply save the folder they are stored in.   Most games have patches that you can also store.  I try never to rely on the internet as my sole means of getting my patches installed.  If I can download a full version of the patch, driver, or app, then that's what I do.  Saves bunches of time from not having to dowload it.  Especially if your still on dial-up.

If you never make any  atempt to back up your stuff on your C: drive, your just asking for a heartbreaking experince if you hard drive crashes,  or your get a paticulary nasty virus, or because of an install of something, it crashes your Windows partion.  Then what are you going to do?  Guess you'll have to reinstall Windows at some point.  And then of course you'll have to spend an insane amount of time getting it back to the way you want it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ya, I'm a bit touchy about this.  I can understand people if they have had problems with ATI products in the past, and are hesitant to ever purchase their products again.   I would be too probably, but I wouldn't count them out forever.   The people my posts were aimed at are the ones I never stop seeing.  
You know the ones, the people who have never owned any the metioned products, the ones that love to spread the hersay about products when they clearly never did their homework to find out the factual information.  The ones the go strictly on word of mouth, from other people who are as naive about the products as they are.

And then there are the people who never rise above doing nothing else but turn on the computer, and click the icon.  I have had people proudly boast they know nothing about their computers and are intent on keeping it that way.   "I pay people to install new hard drives or CDRW's"   or " I will never reinstall Windows, when I can get someone else to do it".  I lump these nitwits into the same catagory of people who believe a college education is all the learning they need in life.   Believe me,  I have had people say these things to me.  A good chunk of people these days wants other people to do their thinking for them. That's pretty sad if you ask me.

So yeah, I get cranky when ignorance is passed around like it's the word of a god.  

If you have an actual complaint about something based on good information, or hands on experience, I have no problem with that.

But when people start trying to influence other people by nothing more than word-of-mouth, that annoys me.  I'm sorry, but your friend of a friend of a friend story, shouldn't be used to convince somebody that some product is crap.   Try finding out yourself.  It really isn't that hard to do.

You know something, I have never had to call customer service on anything computer related since hooking up to the internet.   If I have a question about something, a little digging is usually all I need to find out what I need.  I'm not saying there will never be a time I would need to call, but that says something about how great the internet really is.   It's just too bad that there are still some people to lazy to go find the info themselves.  It's one thing to be clearly befuddled about something, but how many problems can be resolved with nothing more than typing the info your looking for into a search engine and clicking the search button?  Think about how much less bad information would be passed along if everyone just look ed up some information about whatever subject they aren't clear on? Like these ATI vs. Nvidia threads.

Nowdays, I do my homework on just about every product I buy.  I don't check just one source, I check a multitude of different reviews, analyst breakdowns, reader submitted reviews.  In short everything I can get my little mouse pointer on.  I don't trust one source of information, I gather many sources and come up with my own conclusions.  Then I will buy the products, give'em a test drive.  If they are not up to par with me, then I return it for something different.    But the last thing I do is try to spread false rumours.  I try and give various companies a chance to prove themselves.   There was a time no one would touch AMD chips.  To slow, to hot, to buggy.  But look how far they have come.  If people still relied on the bogus info that is pass around these days, no one would buy the Athlons.   There are still people who believe that info, like it's  in some holy scripture.    

It's the same thing with video cards.   Is ATI ever going to have a chance to shed their past problems?  or are they forever going to be haunted by their past problems?  Take my advice, the LAST thing you want is for ATI  to bite the dust.  You think video cards are expensive now,  just think  of world now without them.  Your going to have to take out a second mortgage on your house to pay for the current Nvidia offering, and do you think they would have the motivation to keep improving their line of cards?
That's what happen to Intel, until AMD gave them a good slap in the face.  It's taken Intel almost three years to soundly  take back the performance crown from AMD, and in that time we have seen some great prices on processors, and in turn on motherboards and memory.  Not to metion some innovative and remarkable products introduced by both Intel and AMD.  All that wouldn't have happen if AMD didn't break out of their shell, run up the battle flag, and take Intel to the limit.  We would most likely still be running processors under 500mhz, we would have no speedy FSB, or nice fat caches running at full clock speed.  Or various specialized instruction set, and of course no Hyper-Threading on the P4 3.06.

Why bother if you don't have any comptition?

And that's why I write these long-winded posts.  If your smart, you'll want ATI to succeed in a big way.  Same goes for just about any product out there.

But bad info passed along doesn't help that cause.

Hey if your fine running what you have,  than that's what is important.  I have my Geforce3 in my second system.  Good card, though had to suffer through some bad Detenator drivers.   If Geforce is your thing than by all means keep with them.

But try not dragging ATI through the mud if you don't really know anything about them.  And I have seen plenty of those on these boards and others that tell me that there are still plenty of people who haven't got their facts straight on these issuses.   All i'm doing is trying to enlighten the crowd so to speak...

P.S. GEE-ZUS! this a long post.  Damit, you people got me writing a novel...grrrrrr

LordStar

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2003, 11:49:24 am »
I work for a college as the System Specialist

We have 2000+ machines, all but a handfull are gateways with ati radeons 8500's. Tthey are stable mostly until you actually use them for any heavy graphics use even with fresh from scratch installs, which we do to our specs, as soon as the machines arrive.
  The card is just not stable, well more precise the drivers are not stable and these are supposed oem cards which are suppose to be the most stable of the lot. Now take that same machine, yank the card and install a Nvidia ti4200 with Nvidia's newest non beta drivers and boom you have a machine capable of doing complex rendering with no crashes or hangs. Seems to me this says alot about ati's current state of their drivers. 2000+ computers can't be wrong.  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2003, 12:35:20 pm »
In this case I'd be just as likely to blame Gateway as ATI.
Have you looked closely at the quality of the mainbooards or
what processors are in use? I have found that
ATI + AMD = poor graphics performance in the long run.

Dell / Gateway + ATI = ack! cough, sputter (cheap, cheap, cheap)

When will the consumer ever learn that saving a few dollars
now will inevitably cost them much more later... sigh...

How many times do I have to say it?
NOTHING compares to the quality of ASUS or Gigabyte mainboards
Intel processors, with Adaptec mass storage and MATROX video cards.

Matrox produces superior video cards that are not built around
the latest games, but rather for quality, stability and performance.

Matrox  

Hawkwind

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2003, 01:14:15 pm »
Well like I say I and others were just expressing a opinion, and in my case it's also a professional one.

People are free to pick and choose, and quite rightly so.

As for your point of ruling them out perminately, well put it this way if a company holds a bad reputation in one area then obviously people are going to shy away from any future offerings.

(Gives a LONG HARD look at TALDREN..)

Once a brand has a poor reputation is very hard to shake off, if you take SFC3 as a example I doubt I'd buy any further products that had Taldrens logo anywhere near it, after SFC2 and 3, that is unless it's redeemed and the product is put into the state it should have been BEFORE release.

But as far as ATI goes, my own experience is yes they are good cards, but I wouldn't install one into any machine where High reliability was a issue or where a client wasn't prepared or was capable for the up's and downs.

That's one area where I'd give Nvidia Top marks for, purely because they put so much into keeping their drivers current and reliable, far more so than most other manufacturers.  Where their focus has been far too much on pumping out the Highest Spec Hardware.

End of the Day if you've got a car that'll do 250 Mph, it's no damn good if the wheels drop off at 20Mph because of poor wheel nuts. lol

And of all the cards etc I've used and installed and all the software I've tested for various houses, as far as problems go one name consistantly comes up and frequently and for the same reasons.

But at the end of the day, if you have one and you like it good for you, and if you don't and are thinking of buying a new card, well you've heard what I and other Tech Heads have said, and hopefully you'll be able to make a more informed choice of purchase, that's going to suit you best.

Enough said.

Oh and Taldren, please take a huge dose of ethics and clean up your QA!

Releasing something this bad and hoping you can fix it after just isn't a smart way to conduct business, it annoys the hell out of your customer base, and sully's your company's name and reputation.

Or to put it in terms I would use, If it came to building a sytem for a client I wasn't 100% satisfied with, I'd rather not build it at all and keep the client.

I'd rather pay an extra £5 for a quality product than £30 for Junk, and while no software is bug free, someone over there is definately pulling our chain, if they thought this was in anyway shape or form fit to go gold.

Have some pride and never let money be the master of invention.

LordStar

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2003, 01:34:28 pm »
these are all p4's ranging from 1.8's to 2.4's
all have 256meg of memory
as well as the fact that they only act up with the ati's  
oh and as far as the amd and ati thing I have 2 hand built machines at home both are 1800xp +'s one runs a Geforce and the other runs an ati both are identical exept for the vid card and both run fine even though I notice more slow downs in the ati box then the gf box. but no system halting crashes.  

P.S.  Government contracts are unbreakable however we do spec out the systems we buy and although I don't have the spec sheet here in front of me this minute I am fairly certain that the mobo's are all intel's
« Last Edit: February 16, 2003, 01:41:41 pm by LordStar »

MagnumMan

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2003, 12:30:36 pm »
I'm not impressed with nvidia any more.  Their latest product simply plays catch-up to ATI (oh, and it requires 2 slots and a noisy-arse fan to do it), and ATI is going to blow them out of the water with the R350.  I've heard from many people that the ATI drivers are way more reliable than they used to be.  I personally have a problem with nvidia's driver kit right now.  The 41.09 drivers do NOT play well with my GeForce2 GTS and Neverwinter Nights.  It causes the game to load level so slowly, you could literally go get *and have* a cup of coffee between scenes.  I had to go back to 31.40.

In truth I wish one of the big graphics companies would go back and re-engineer the graphics chip so that it was more efficient.  Current solutions seem to be brute-force approaches to solving solutions; as evidenced by the amount of energy the current chips require.  There's a reason why Serial ATA is so much more elegant than Parallel ATA; it's much simpler, so the speed can be jacked way up.  I believe tile-based rendering was a stab at this kind of optimization; unfortunately the companies who tried to make it work were unable to keep up with the marketing and engineering muscle that is ATI and nvidia... in the end, it hurts us all.

My next video card will probably come from ATI, and have  at least one R350 on it.

Damaged

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2003, 01:55:40 pm »
--------------------
Austin 3:16 What?

SeanDumas

In responce to comments made about ATI Technologies and their products
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2003, 07:39:07 pm »
Hello to Everyone,

On behalf of Taldren, I would like to offer sincere apologies to ATI for some recent comments posted on our Forums.  These comments are not the opinion of Taldren, nor are they accurate in any shape or form.  Though there may have been driver issues in the past, over the last few years ATI has made great strides in improving their drivers? compatibility and performance.  ATI is a great Graphics Hardware company with exciting new products which are leading the market in performance, DirectX 9 compliance and robust feature sets.  Taldren and ATI are pursuing a closer relationship to ensure that our future titles will look great on a larger variety of ATI products.  I truly appreciate the way ATI is raising the bar with their new 9700 series.  Their work will help to make our games and all other PCs games look dramatically better.

Sincerely,

Sean C. Dumas
Co-Owner Taldren, Inc.

kevlar

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2003, 07:54:16 pm »
A paced strategical move of Taldren, proving that diplomacy is a must on this bussiness  

Nevertheless I do agree with what was said earlier. I think no one should doubt that in hardware aspects, ATI most recent cards are, in price -performance ratio, much better than  NVIDIA and company  equivalent products. The problem is that PC's still need software drivers,  and ATI was yet to walk a couple of miles in order to catch Nvidia on that aspect ( altought I wouldn't stop laughging  at those  new detonator drivers that made resolution changes take like 2 or 3 minutes,  I woudn't stop if I hadn't experienced the problem myself  )

The remarks about ATI driver quality were a bit harsh...but not completly untrue.    

Dash Jones

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2003, 08:24:38 pm »
In response to reasonable answers concerning the original post, this has been edited to state (drastically), I use ATI and Nvidia cards.  They both have good aspects about each, and their competition has me undecided as to which card I will next upgrade to, the FX or 9700, or perhaps wait till the generation after those.  Other cards and chipsets may have their advantages, but don't really interest me at the moment.

I typically lean more towards Nvidia cards, but that has never prevented me from using ATi, or other chipsets and cards in the past.  I tend to agree with general consensus that whilst ATI has come a HUGE distance from what they have been in the past, and their drivers are much better than they were even a year ago, there are still some differences between them and Nvidia.

Thanks for the explanations.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 09:11:54 pm by Dash Jones »

kevlar

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2003, 08:39:07 pm »
From what I have read,  It had nothing to do with your or any other taldren customer post but with . hm..well..... let the past pass...  

Cruis.In

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2003, 08:47:14 pm »
I have a radeon9000m in my laptop myself which play sfc on, actually its the cpu i use for everything now.

ive never bought into the ati bad drivers bull. since i got an ati a couple years ago with 2nd pc, always liked it.
never had a problem.

SeanDumas

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2003, 08:57:30 pm »
We have removed a thread which had some unwise comments.  One very poor comment came from our staff.  I would like to point out that I do not agree with the comment that was made.  And Taldren as a company does not support the statements made either.  Typically, one of the most difficult aspects of PC developement is compatiblility.  Not a single hardware manufacture can be singled out for poor driver writing.  As a developer, one of the worst things you can do is become lazy and choose one particular brand and try to conform to its standards, yet ignore the others.  This is something Taldren does not wish to do.  Many developers made this mistake in the past when tailoring their game engines to the then industry leader, 3DFX.  Their games had trouble running on NVidia or other brands.

Regards,

Sean C. Dumas

Toasty0

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2003, 09:07:55 pm »
{WARNING: Thread hijacking in progress}

Sean,

It the myth true that Taldren is/was the name of a AD&D character you once role-played?

Best,
Jerry  

SeanDumas

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2003, 09:37:53 pm »
No, that was Zachary Drummond's D&D character.  We had many name ideas including Ronin.  Watchfire Games was the name we originally founded the business on.  Erik came up with Watchfire.  It has something to do with our history of coming in and rescuing Publishers from blazing projects.  However we were poor at the time and a company in Canada was already using that name, so we sold it to them.  We liked the sound of Zach's D&D character/handle.  It was a made up word so it was easier to get the rights to the .com,.net.org...  We also wanted to associate ourselves with imagination and fantasy role-playing.

Regards,

Sean C. Dumas

Subspace

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2003, 09:43:17 pm »
didnt know that   Cool !!  

Scorpion

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2003, 11:16:01 pm »

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2003, 11:17:49 pm »
While we're plugging video cards...

I'd just like to say that my good old Matrox Millenium G450
runs the full SFC series flawlessly!

Wish I could afford the new Parhelia...

Matrox  

Corbomite

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2003, 11:20:40 pm »
My Etch-A-Sketch makes real pretty pictures.

David Ferrell

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2003, 11:21:36 pm »
Quote:

Sincerely,

Dave  

Gamester

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2003, 11:25:15 pm »

Gamester

Lepton1

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2003, 12:20:28 am »
I was going to say something but I guess Dave has probably suffered enough.  Perhaps the proof in the pudding could be what happens with ATI-compatibility from here on.

Alexander1701

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2003, 12:37:01 am »
  I would like to apologize. I am the one who started this whole thing. I was unclear, and I am sorry.

Let me begin by saying that ATI makes wonderful products on the whole. I used one failing, the original Rage series video card, in order to illustrate a point. I was attempting to defend Taldren from comments made regarding their irresponsibility for making an incompatible product. One person claimed that they had a top of the line system, so it must be compatible. I was using the Rage card in order to illustrate that the more expensive is not always the more compatible in general. The best plans and tests cannot account for everything. I personally think that the Rage card is a good metaphor for this.

I do not intend to insult ATI. I know not whereing lies the fault with the Rage, nor do I care. More recently produced ATI products are of the highest calibre. I still buy ATI products. This was merely, and a cannot stress this enough, an example of how the most expensive does not guarrantee the best.

I am still, however, sorry if my comments produced a negative reaction to ATI and their products. This was not my intention, as I specifically pointed out no fewer than 3 times in my post the overall quality of the Rage cards. I merely stated 100% compatability to be impossible. Any implications or inferations were completely unintentional.

Alexander

Toasty0

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2003, 01:06:20 am »

Just to get more familiar with ATI and who they are here are a couple of links. This is more about the corp than the products they sell.

First, a little link to something ATI is a major sponsor of:  http://www.gdfest.com/ This is some really exciting stuff and I hope to see Taldren's next, super secret project as part of this event or an event simular to GDFest.

Next is ATI's very own press release page. My hat is off to them for their very open, all revealing press release statements:  http://mirror.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2003/4602.html .

Enjoy folks.

Best,
Jerry  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Toasty0 »

Dash Jones

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2003, 04:15:06 am »
Quote:

Gamester

There are other problems with ATI drivers as well, now that you mention it, with other games.  For example, I prefer to play Neverwinter Nights solely on an Nvidia machine simply because the ones with the ATI cards have a flicker with the mouse controls, and are not as clean in visual quality with that game (which I also have to admit has been buggy in and of itself moreso than most other games in the past).  The catalyst 3.0 drivers, which I have not rolled back (I like them to a degree) have had some pretty painful headaches as far as certain video applications I have.  And then, though the programming itself is probably the cause, and suspect, even admitted by some that it is the problem, I have heard you should not play SimCity 4 with all the bells and whistles and recent ATI cards (Oh heck, I pick that game up tomorrow hopefully!  I'll see then whether those rumors are true as pertaining to the machines I use or not!  Or if I can trouble shoot through it myself!).

I have had some problems with Nvidia I admit, but nothing compared to the headaches I constantly suffer from ATI.  However, ATI cards DO have better specs as a whole in my opinion, which is one major factor some suffer through the problems with the drivers when they have them.  I personally can't really tell the difference all that much, as most of the differences are not instantly noticeable to the naked eye overall, unless used by a discriminate observer in the matter.  This ease which I've had both with Nvidia troubleshooting, and the ease I've had with it's drivers overall have driven me more towards an Nvidia leaning...of course, their drivers have had problems too on occasion which have caused some headaches with some games.

So, basically, I use Nvidia when I want to have pure fun, and ATI when I want speed, such as online gaming such as UT2k and such.  Everyone has their preference.  I can remember the TNT driver thing as well!  As well as 3dfx!  In fact, up until extremely recently, I had a 3dfx machine as well as an Intel chipset Machine both (as far as graphics go).  They are gone now.  Nvidia drivers also have come a FAAAAAAAAAAAR way.  Don't know why I think ATI is better at specs (probably because everyone tells me they are) since when I reflect on it, I don't really notice it, I just trust what others state.  I have experienced more difficulties with ATI drivers than SOME other cards, which should be obvious.

However, as I stated before, ATI is good enough with their drivers that I now consider them valid for heavy consideration on what I will do next with card upgrades.  I've heard good things and bad things about the 9700.  I've also heard mostly bad things about the FX.  My experiences with Nvidia make me still consider it, but I am still waiting for the big comparisons between them and the information that will come down concerning how the FX handles as far as drivers (not as promising as other things in the past) and compatibility with upgrading.  So it means that I do think ATI does have drivers which generally work in most regards, and are great for gaming.

I believe that ATI cards DID have LESS major gamestopping problems as a whole than Nvidia GeForce 2's with SFC3 however (or am I mistaken), though I still have had less problems with Nvidia and games as a whole.

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2003, 12:02:11 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Sincerely,

Dave  

Congrats, it takes allot of guts to accept responsibility. I personally have owned both ati and nvidia cards, and although i find the software updates of nvidia to be supperior to those of ati, i'd rather have ati hardware any day of the week. And i'm not saying this because i'm canadian    

FEDX-Laad

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2003, 01:46:20 pm »
i don't know $40 bucks for my nvidia geforce 4 and a driver that works vs ati which regardless what taldren says still can't figure out how to make a driver work with their hardware.

Strafer

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2003, 01:48:02 pm »
I can say 1 thing about the ATI drivers.
The drivers included with Windows 2000 for the Rage Fury line doesn't work well with SFC:OP.
The skin isn't being displayed, only a black silhouette against the BG.
Updating to drivers provided by ATI direct works like a charm. Full detail, damage and all.

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2003, 04:59:36 pm »
what is this "ATI Direct" that you speak of?

LongTooth

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2003, 09:45:55 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Sincerely,

Dave  

Be very careful about posting on theses fourms about codeing whether good or bad as it could get you banned
Ati make very good cards and its good to so that the drivers are improveing all the time

SghnDubh

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2003, 09:51:49 pm »

I run an ATI Radeon 8500 128MB card in my P4 1.8.

It's an excellent card. Fast, smooth, and easy to configure.

On par, or slightly better, than the NVIDIA I ran before that.

With the latest XP drivers, I am totally satisfied with my ATI card,

I have never had problems with it,

and I recommend it highly.

FWIW,
SghnDubh

Prae

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2003, 05:45:22 am »
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've got a Radeon 9000 now and I have had absolutely no trouble with it, granted I haven't had it that long but its much better than my GeForce 3 and the drivers seem good too.  

**DONOTDELETE**

It's dark in here...
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2003, 07:51:09 am »
I still prefer Matrox video cards over any other.

(How far can we put our heads up ATI's a...? Oh right , sorry...)

korus

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2003, 10:58:41 am »

Korus

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2003, 11:17:48 am »
 If I were going to buy an nVidia chipset video card,
I would buy one of these:  ASUS® Graphics Cards,
as I trust the name and reputation for quality hardware.
I tend to shy away from any card sold on the basis of economy.
(i.e.: Leadtek Winfast, or MSI)
I have installed Leadtek, MSI and ASUS video cards and have
recieved the least performance complaints about the ASUS products.

But, I still highly reccomend Matrox.  

zaniwhoop2

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2003, 11:19:19 am »
Quote:

Korus

ATI has a superior product in every price range, but if you want nVidia, it doesn't matter unless you're going to overclock it (same is generally true with ATI). Look for whichever one has the best game bundle. Most have TV-out and DVI, but if you don't use those features, it's useless.  

Hertston

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2003, 04:01:57 pm »
Nothing wrong with ATI products, and never has been... but  I switched to Nvidia with my current PC (GF4 Ti 4600 ) simply for compability... no matter how you dress it up, software devs develop for Nvidia first.   Consequently, you can get compatibility problems on occasion with ATI cards (insufficient care or testing or whatever) but I know damn well whatever I buy will work perfectly with my card.      Unfortunately, that wouldn't be the case if I had an ATI board installed.  Not ATI's fault, but just the way it is - unless they can come up with something so kick-ass for the money compared with Nvidia developers really sit up and take notice.  

KATChuutRitt

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2003, 07:51:24 pm »

Toasty0

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2003, 09:00:36 pm »
Quote:

wilfbrim

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2003, 02:45:39 am »
I have used TNT, TNT2, GeForce MX200 and lately an ATI Radeon 9000Pro. The Deal is this people: Every company makes a product that is what they deem best in both a hardware/software performance combination. Then they will tweak drivers, etc. to match what they see as issues. With hundreds of games, dozens of graphic engines, it is impossible to make one that is the best for all and affordable. I have had no issues running SFC 1,2,3 on any of these cards, except the bugs that come up. Some bugs are buggier on some drivers than others. It relates to the battle over processors. I work for Intel, and yet I prefer SiS chipsets as being stable compared to Intel's. So I buy them. You all do the same, and buy what you percieve as the best for your platform. Remember, It is not just Grapic cards and SFC, you also have the integral chipset drivers, OS drivers and the interfacing of all of them to contribute to masking the issues. I believe Taldren does the best it can with smoothing out all platform issues, and the result is not all will run as good as others, and all the reasons come into play: Cards, software, chipsets, memory (DDR can do strange things, Rambus as well), memory allocation, and so on. I personally did not think there was anything really bad in anything said about hardware in the forums, but I am the last one to confess to having spent a long time here. Computers are just entering a period of adulthood, and as more common standards are adopted, there will be less problems with hardware. I would remind everyone when DDR333 came out, there were intially a huge mess with finding DDR that would work with specific DDR chipsets. Find what you think is best, and tailor it to meet your needs as best you can. Maybe a harwadre forum would help with identifying issues and commonalities??  

KATChuutRitt

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2003, 07:45:23 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Likely true Toasty thanks for the heads up!....

« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 03:50:21 am by KATChuutRitt »

Admiral_CRS

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2003, 09:06:17 am »
In regard to the question about which Nvidia card to buy, I would check out Gainwards cards, I have used one of their GF3 and GF4 and have been completely satisfied.

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2003, 12:06:33 pm »
Gainswards are great in general, but be careful of their Ti4200 GF4 as they have had a lot of manufacturing issues with it (i.e. lots of DOA's), otherwise I have found them to be great overclockers.

Gamester

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2003, 11:05:38 pm »
Hey, fellas!

Gamester

SSCF Hooch

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2003, 11:11:22 pm »
Quote:

Hey, fellas!

Gamester

Now this is customer service.

Hooch

PS
I have only used ATI cards and they are very dependable for gaming, never had an issue with the AGP cards.

KATChuutRitt

« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2003, 11:24:57 pm »
That is a great show of customer service an immediate and prompt reply, Have to give them a   for that one.

Akhilles

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2003, 08:22:47 am »
I don't hold alot of respect for ATI after their benchmark debacle.

They hard coded their drivers to look for the Quake executable, so they could skew the benchmark. This was proven after renaming the Quake executable and re-running the test. Sad.

KBF-Dogmatix

« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2003, 07:18:59 pm »
Yes...that's a tad unseemly, but we've seen this sort of thing before.  I mean, Intel used to get away with murder on benchmarks that were geared towards their special, proprietary instruction set.  In fact, I remember hearing reports of pressure being exerted on the part of Intel to make sure certain benchmarks went their way as a method of keeping AMD down.  Finally, AMD broke out from under that thumb with the advent of the Athlon and hasn't had to look back yet.

I imagine ATI's shennanigans were born out of desperation.  The Radeon 8500 release was either going to keep them alive or kill them.  Frankly, I'm glad they stayed alive...so nVidia can no longer easily get away with charging $400-$500 for a freaking graphics adapter.

I currently own three ATI products (7500 in my laptop, 8500 on one of my desktops and 9700 Pro in my newest box) and my first CGA card way back in the day (1986?) was an ATI card (I even stil have the purple fluffy ball with feet, eyes and antennae that came with it) and am quite happy with all three products though I haven't tried running SFC3 on my 9700 Pro, yet...haven't been moved to play that game, lately.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by KBF-Dogmatix »

Hawkwind

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2003, 11:56:52 am »
LOL.

While I can totally understand Taldren for making this statement, I can't say I agree with it.

I've been a Engineer all my life (over 20 years) and would hazard a guess that I've have installed more of their cards into machines than anyone currently working for ATI.

Basically (and this is solely my own professional opinion), Great cards probably one of the best if not the best out there, totally let down by their drivers and support.  So much so that I don't supply them as standard in any machine I build now.

Yup, there will be many users that have few problems however I can certainly tell you there's a hell of alot that do, and it's not exactly a secret either, this has been the state of play for years.

This has always been one area that Nvidia etc has always been ahead of, and perhaps one of the main reasons why they are where they are today, because people like myself plump for them because we know we'll have far fewer headaches supporting them.

Credit where's credits due, and like I say that's my own opinion and has nothing to do at all with Taldren, and well if ya want to waste your time comming after a guy like me instead of improving your products well go for it!. ROFL

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Hawkwind »

Intrepid-XC

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2003, 02:10:19 pm »
Well I recently went form a Geforce 3 to an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro.  The difference is incredible.  I run with 8X AA and 16x AS with great framerates (In fact they are as good as teh GF4 Ti 4600 with no AA and AS).  As for drivers the Catalyst 3.0 and now the 3.1 drivers have produced absolutly no problems.  Before the catalyst team, I would have agreed that ATI had crap for drivers, but the Catalyst team is on top of things,  and I feel they are finally producing quality drivers for ATI.    

KBF-Dogmatix

« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2003, 04:51:00 pm »
Well, Hawkwind...drivers may have been an issue once upon a time, but they certaily aren't anymore.  I don't see much to be gained by continuing to live in the past on this account.  Granted...driver problems were a problem as recently as a few months ago, but the Catalyst team is getting their act together and to continue to ignore ATI because of their drivers seems kind of silly, at this point.

Of course, you have a business to run and you must to what works for you.  As an end-user, I'm happy with ATI and I choose to make choices (painful though they may be, at times) that favor makretplace competition so I don't have to be held hostage by relative monopolies.  I continue to do my part to see that companies like nVidia and Intel have lively competition in the likes of ATI and AMD.

David Ferrell

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2003, 05:52:35 pm »
It seems, as far as drivers go at least, I am an old fool who is out of
touch with reality.

I'm glad to hear that ATI is kicking some tail with thier Catalyst drivers.

Thanks,

Dave  

Dash Jones

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2003, 07:59:21 pm »
Well, there's hell breaking out with the new catalyst drivers, and Neverwinter Nights (which is buggy as heck to begin with...so I suppose it's not surprising).  Overall though, despite how fun it might be to point it towards ATI, in this case I think the fault probably lies mostly in Bioware and their idea of their 1.28 patch, which causes havoc with ATI...BUT once you have updated to DX9 and other small things, as well as making sure you have the correct version of the 1.28 patch apparantly, it runs much better than before.

Nvidia runs well with NWN without the need to upgrade from what I understand.  As I said, it would be fun to poke fun at ATI, but it probably in all likelyhood is Bioware and what they put in the patch, as no other games I know of right now have problems with the 3.1 release (which I've heard almost completely good things about thus far!).

Sartonius

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2003, 02:02:45 am »
I find that with compatibility issues, more often than not the ATI drivers offer "too much control"...   In other words, the system options can override the game's options and settings, or the game can override the system options only to have the system attempt to re-exert control...  or some bizarre combination of the above resulting in weird things happening like text displaying incorrectly when filtering is enabled, for example.  Or, the Radeon 7000 / 7200 / 7500 (all of which are the same except they have different RAM types and amounts on them) having some backwards compatibility problems with games designed to use a 4 MB "early" 3D accelerator that I tried out.

ONCE you get it going, the Radeon cards are quite good.  I was using a 7200, but it crapped out because of my "experimental" system (lol).  I bought a 9000 Pro to replace it and I think it's quite good.  I finally decided that for older and/or "noncompatible" games I would just go down to the local computer junk store and build myself an "old-fashioned" system to ensure greater backwards compatibility:  a PII 233 with a Voodoo3 3DFX card, a Sound Blaster AWE32, and Windows 98.  Runs old games, 3DFX games, old DOS games, DOS 3DFX games, and finally 3D type games such as the X-Wing Collector's trilogy (highly reccomended, btw) that don't work well with new accelerators and only work in windows 98.  And still surfs the web in style.  I spent about $75 US on it and a little bit of spare time.  I named it the USS Legacy.  <g>  But it's only because of the same driver issues we started off discussing in the first place made it more economical to.  In the end, that's because it's no longer plug-and-play like it oughta be.

What would be really nice is if you only ever needed to use the "override" controls for the card very rarely.  Software developers, card developers, and Microsoft's DirectX team ought to work on a new standard.  DirectX should be able to read any game using any version of DirectX, determine what it uses, what can be successfully applied to it and what cannot, automatically enable and disable certain functions of the card, make some adjustable performance-issue decisions on the basis of your system's clock and memory, and start the thing going without so much fiddling.  Call it "plug and play"  for games or something.  Then it wouldn't matter which drivers you had going.  The only difference would be on concrete performance:  speed in multiplayer; speed on slower systems; stability; and what you actually see once the game goes.  It's far too "willy nilly" now.

Dash Jones

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2003, 09:44:22 am »
More ATI problems, this time with SimCity 4.  Actually, it's not that bad and for me, not the showstopper people have complained about, in fact, it's not bad to say the least, overall.  Their patch did not help however.

I've heard though, that some people with the new Nvidia drivers can't run the game at all, so in that light, I suppose I should count my blessings.  Haven't run into that problem yet, but I thought to be fair and show all sides of the thing, I should include that little point as well.

LongTooth

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2003, 10:06:34 am »
Any one know how well ati runs with max? need a new card and ati seems the best over all
Just need to know if its going to like max or not

zaniwhoop2

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2003, 01:24:43 pm »

Dash Jones

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2003, 02:14:19 pm »
Quote:

Though some of it was a little confusing to me, I believe their conclusion came in favor (and their pictures seemed to show it) of the Nvidia Quadro FX.

Also, if you link on the page for the Radeon, that's an interesting way to modify the Radeon card.  I wouldn't want to attempt something like that though, waaaay to delicate I would imagine.

Mavolic

« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2003, 06:27:25 pm »
It may have been posted before this, but I didn't read every post in this thread, so forgive me..

www.rage3d.com has some indepth information on the ATI line of video cards and drivers.  They also have ATI employees responding in their forums.

Not to metion some very useful tweaks.

If you have any doubts about the Radeon line of video cards, especially the 9000 series on up, you could learn alot about how far ATI has come.

If you think Nvidia is the only player on the block, and that their hardware and software never have any problems, you best take the blinders off.

I've used 3dfx, Nvidia, and now ATI, I have to say the 9700pro I am using now is simply outstanding.

I've play a few of those "problem" games, and I don't seem to be experiencing near the same problems being reported.  It probably has to do with the fact that I have started from a fresh install of WinXP Pro, so I'm not having to fight hidden compatability troubles.

Try installing your OS, any service packs, DirectX, THEN the Catalyst drivers.  I imagine some of those "crappy ATI driver" problems go away.

I've been using Nvidia cards for the past couple of years and have seen some strange hardware compatibilty problems, funky game problems, and some really weak Dentonator driver releases.

In other words, I don't really see any major advantage that Nvidia has in terms of driver support anymore.  Yes at one time they were the masters at drivers, but they too have had their share of "crappy" drivers.  So acting like Nvidia can do no wrong, is only fooling yourself.

The GeforceFX is an overclocked-to-hell-and-back video card, that still can't soundly beat the Radeon 9700Pro running a 500mhz clock vs. a 325mhz clock.  Not to metion clock speed isn't everything.  Just as with processors, motherboards, and memory, video cards depend on bandwith just as much as clock speed, and that's the biggest disappointment with the GeforceFX.  Also the quality settings such as AA, Anisotropic Filtering, and just overall image quality is stil pulled off better by the 9700pro than the FX.  

In so far as "skewed" benchmark on cards.  ATI hasn't done anything that Nvidia and Intel hasn't done already.  Nowdays every video card manafacture optimise for benchmarks.  Your in deep trouble if you don't.  In this day and age, people want to look at bar chart and some numbers to do their decision making for them instead of putting any effort into finding out themselves.  

On the Rage3D forums, much like the Taldren forums, it is very impressive to see the active partcipation by ATI on those boards.   They have been going above and beyond to try and squash the "driver myth" that is still continued by people.  Put it this way, I don't see anything Nvidia is doing now that is any better than what ATI is doing.  

But hey, for the Nvidia fanboys, if you sleep better at night by sticking only to the Geforce cards, then it's your money.  But a couple of points to keep in mind if and when you get your FX.

1) The Radeon 9700Pro has been on the market for SIX months.  That's alot of time for the developers at ATI to work on mature driver sets.  Especially considering the FX isn't even avalible yet, how long do you suppose it's going to take Nvidia to squash their bugs with the card?

2) The Radeon 9700Pro has a proven track record, that sorta comes from being out for a half a year.  The GeforceFX has been delayed more than once, and still isn't availible yet.  So which company do you think is on top of things?  Nvidia or ATI?  Which company seems to be scrambling to catch up, and which one seems to be on cruise control?  ATI's upgrade to the R300 chip is right around the corner.  Anyone want to hazard a guess that the R350 chip will surpass the R300 chip? That's kinda of scary to think about.  Especially if your Nvidia.

Maybe you can call me a ATI fanboy, but I don't swear loyalty to just one company.  I like to keep my options open and because of that attitude I have been rewarded in my purchases.   I like what ATI has to offer these days, over and above what Nvidia has to offer.   You keep putting out innovative and good products, I will usually give you shot.   This time around it's ATI's turn.  Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm currently a very happy customer.

I don't want to see Nvidia crumble from the market that's bad for the consumer.  In fact I hope Nvidia rise to the challange to give ATI the good fight.   That's what keeps great products rolling out the door and good prices on top of that.  

I find it kinda of ironic that the first time in two years I will be using a different video card than a Geforce, but when it came time for new motherboard, I ended up going with one powered by a Nvidia nForce2 chipset.  Why?  because right now the nForce2 chipset is the best chipset out for an AthlonXP platform.   Why did I pick an AthlonXP instead of Intel?  I like the price, perfomance, package better than what Intel was offering.  Sure Intel has the 3.06ghz Hyperthreading two-headed monster for their top chip, but I wasn't interested in paying 650 bucks for it.  And anything outside of that chip doesn't impress me enough to get an Intel.  So AMD still has my buissness.

As for the people who currently having problems with ATI cards, I dunno what to say to you, my system runs just fine.

In short, try not basing your opinions off of hersay on various products, or getting into a panic fit because of Joe #859499494 has written the-end-of-the-world problem report on his video card in some games forum.  You don't know how well that guy's (or gal's) system is running.  Probably 95% of problems reported stem from people who's system is far from running perfect, regardless if they swear up and down it is.  Seems most people will concentrate on the small percentage of people having problems, but continually ignore that the majority of people are not having the same problem.  

Also try not to keep your focus on just one line of products.  I think a good chunk of 3DFX owners are sorry that they did.

Primus2003

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2003, 07:14:35 pm »
In my previous computer I used on SFC 1 I admit with win 98.   WHen I had my ati all in wonder it was a great card.  When i got my most recent computer almost 2 years ago, it was due to the fact I was funded  through a little known bursary however they were picky about  areas where I did not have much choice.  I had to go to IBM, which was well how can I put it I am on my 2nd hard drive, 2nd video card and second power supply since I got this.   In less then 2 years.  Someone else I knew got the identicle one she well lets just leave it at in my opinion I will Never deal with IBM again and I will Never recommend it!  But to the point I got an nvidia card in it, I do not like it or its controls I am back to ATI.  It was and remains all of which in my opinion as well as that of a good number of my trech friends, the better product.  

Dash Jones

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2003, 11:09:20 pm »
Bit touchy aren't we.  Your suggested method of installing drivers is rather insane and I would tell people right now...not advised by ATI, lest you be uninstalling and reinstalling your OS every week.  In order to get the latests updates in the frequency they come out, saying your staying on top of an XP system...would require that in the order you are stating, not to mention the additional times that are required when they release their own updated drivers.  Nvidia doesn't require or suggest it either for their drivers.  It might get you, as you say a clean running system, but there's hardly anyone who actually does that as much as you are suggesting...if we take you literally on your words.

The problems I listed recently were things I experienced on the ATI cards personally, in addition to having a flock of others having the same problems.  Now much of the problems could be attributed to gamemakers focusing more on Nvidia compatibility than ATI...but who really knows?  There are a lot of game makers.  Anyone who says they've never had problems with their card or chipset though, have either never pushed their computer any, or are suspect.  Sure, I'm certain there are some out there...who are incredibly lucky.

So you know I am not an Isolated event with the Simcity 4 phenomenon (which I have downplayed tremendously from some of the people you meet calling bloody murder over it)...from the exact site you put up...

Quote:

SimCity 4 Patch - 8:43 pm EST - MrB
Maxis has released a patch for SimCity 4. Ver 1.0.242.0

This resolves the following issues:

Fixed crash related to conflict between MySim and Transportation Pack.

Fixed crash related to SIS video chipsets.

Fixed several broken links in advisor messages.

Fixed car zots to display properly.

Fixed bug where the catalog was showing the incorrect capacity for the Recycling Center.

Fixed bug where industry development would occur even when commuters could not reach the zone.

Added support for ATI Radeon R300 series that add backing store capability.

Added option to turn off auto-road when zoning behavior by holding the shift-key while zoning.

Added option to change orientation of lots when zoning by holding the alt-key while zoning.

Added whales.

Retuned pollution values for airports and seaports.

Port efficiency is now displayed correctly.

Airport upgrading now works correctly (based on current use).

Freight trains can now drop cargo at ports.

New zone graphics now better indicate the front of lots.

Sadly only the R300 now has it. That leaves the 9000, 8500, 7500 and the 7000 line to add. I'll find out about that. I tried playing it after the patch and it didn't seem like a big difference. But that could be because I haven't played it in awhile. If you noticed a noticeable improvement with the patch feel free to mail me

As you notice, sadly, it didn't do anything for helping me in my problems.  ATI hasn't done anything in their recent updated drivers either.  I'm not making the things up I'm saying, and I can say, that probably, on your perfect running system, in all likelyhood, you'd run into these bugs as well, or at least some of them...unless you configure your system even better than ATI does theirs, or Maxis.

However, don't take this harshly...I'm a tad touchy.  I admit it could be anything, from WinXP (Which has caused me more gaming grief thus far than anyother OS...that includes WinME and 2000, heck, I've seriously considered converting to Linux...then I wake up and remind myself howmany games are made for Linux (though I do love freeciv).  It could be any number of things.  It could even be I'm better or more lucky with Nvidia products than any other productline (Though even I know they have problems at times...like say certain GeForce 2's and SFC 3 at one point, or the Nvidia problem I mentioned some were having with SimCity 4).

I am glad there are people that will vouch for ATI.  They almost always have better specs on their cards when compared to Nvidia in my eyes...which is probably why there are 4 computers with ATI AIW cards in them in the very room I am sitting in right now.  I just found your suggestion of installing all updates after you install the OS, and then, after that, to get a clean running system, you install the drivers...in that order (which suggests that you need to do a clean install of OS to updates everytime you change the system...aka, get an update) a little odd considering how often updates come out...thus telling people, though it may help tremendously at clearing out problems...that I don't actually think ATI, Nvidia, or any other chipset or card maker would actually suggest most people doing that.  Their idea I think is to create a driver that works with everything already working fine and installed without having to do reinstallations.  At least that's my impression considering the ease with which they made putting the new drivers on your machine (click and they go on and write over the old ones...at least most of the time).

The above article however, is showing test results in certain areas in comparison of the Nvidia FX I believe, and they include a comparison of that against the ATI...which turns up some interesting results.  Seeing that I don't think the site is an Nvidia or ATI site, I expect it would be a little less biased than Nvidia or ATI doing those same tests and reporting the results.

It was a little surprise to me considering all I had heard had pointed out to a Noisy card which you could use as a hairdryer and still wouldn't outperform the ATI in any area was the next little thing coming from Nvidia...and in that light, with the results they showed, has put me up to look a little harder at what the FX will do and look like when it comes out.

Both card companies can be good, however I do find it a little odd that ATI is getting a sticky, almost as if they are...well I won't say it.

At least ATI has good tech support overall.  Never had to call Nvidia to find out about their's yet, so I couldn't tell you about that...but ATI's does get an A+ for tech support if that makes anyone feel any better.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dash Jones »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2003, 12:49:29 am »
Don't believe everything you read in reviews either. I used to be involved with Hi-End audio and had the oppertunity to talk to more than one designer of truely esoteric, hi end equiptment. ALL of them told me that if you wanted a good review from some of the really, really respected reviewers you had to give them the equiptment they were reviewing for extended periods. ie, until they were bored with it, which was usually about 6mos. to a year. For some of these manufacturers that would be upwards of 30 or 40 thousand dollars worth of product. If they couldn't do it then the review would be less than favorable. I'm not saying that this is the case here. Just that not all reviewers are as unbiased as they may want you to believe. Be especially aware of reviews that tell you that the product being reviewed is now in their reference system. Rarely did they buy it. Usually the manufacturer gave it to them for/because of the review.

Mavolic

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2003, 04:00:20 am »
I can completely uninstall the Catalyst drivers and install the lastest ones without having to reinstall Windows each time.   Still runs perfect.

If there is anything to slam about ATI drivers, is that getting them completely uninstalled can be the problem.  In order to do it right, you need  use your search feature and kill off the rest of the clutter left behind.   RegCleaner comes in real handy to clean up your registery.

But after that,  installing the new drivers goes without a hitch.

People tend to want to treat their computers like a  toaster.  No added maintenence deemed neccessary.   You keep your OS going for a year or two,  trust me, your system is far from perfect.  The only computers I see that can keep going for years without a fresh install of the OS tend to be buissness computers that aren't going through a bunch of different driver updates, OS updates, and having such items like video cards and sound cards being replaced every year.   The reason they can last is because they rarely ever have any changes to them.   Now personal computers, that's a whole different story.  They can go through constant changes to numerous to list here.    But let's just say the Windows isn't exactly at it's best  when it comes  to keeping the clutter from interfering with it.   It's that clutter from left over driver uninstalls, various register clutter from long gone apps,  and basic junk that has been installed on the system.  You would be surprised how much faster and stable your computer is after a fresh install of Windows.

Back to my video card:

I have ran the 9700pro on two completely different systems, and both times it runs just about perfect.

I never stated any of their cards never have any problems, but then again I have had  game troubles with Nvidia cards and their drivers so anyone announcing that Nvidia has no problems just hasn't met the game/chipset/processors combos these quirks come up on.  

I have built a new system recently and have the benifit of reformating my hard drives several  times in the past month.  Not because of anything doing with my video card, just checking out each component and testing them out.  Once I get everything in order, I will throw on Windows and keep it  running for months.  But in that time I have yet had any problems getting the 9700pro stable.  If there was a component that was giving me trouble it was my ASUS motherboard, but nothing a bios upgarde couldn't fix.

I can reformat my hard drive, install the OS, get the neccessary updates, and get most of my important apps installed, and even tweak my system a bit in three hours time.   Three hours really isn't a long time to start from a fresh install of WIndows to fully fuctional system in my book.  Heck,  I've seen people spend more time detailing their cars on a Saturday afternoon.

As for games, I have thrown a few on over the past month to give my system a run through.  The current games and apps I have tried hasn't given my any gamestopping problems with my 9700Pro, but then again I don't mind having to tweak a game to get it to run correctly on my systems,  or search for patches and utilities to get around certain problems.  I know in time that most problems will be fixed by a patch from eiither the game company, or the video card company.  Of course most people don't have the patience I do when it comes to computers.  They want it now, perfect, and will run flawlessly on a infinate number of systems.   Even in the end, regardless of what you use,  nothing put out is 100% perfect.  I know ATI has had problems, and still has some problems with their past video cards.   I understand  that for a time that ATI had problems with thier drivers,  that in some cases have never been resolved.   Well, ATI knows that, understands that, and is actively trying to correct those past problems.  It's damned if you do, and damned if you don't with people.  That's the main reason that the 9700Pro is my first ATI video card.  They always had impressive video cards, but their driver support was sorely lacking.   I do my homework when it comes to buying anything.  That's the great thing about the internet, the world's biggest database of knowledge.  If I listen to nothing but the fanboys or the naysayers, would I truely be doing myself a service when buying a video card?   Probably not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't  treat a computer as a houshold appliance.  Maybe it's because I got into computing when the Apple ][e and the Commandore 64, IBM PC were kings.   Computers and OS's weren't built to be "dumb downed" for the masses.  It took a person to actually learn something to new in order to run them.  Not just hit the power switch and be greeted with a happy GUI.  It really wasn't that long ago that mouses were not standard equipment on a computer, nor did you just double click on an icon.  

Since that time I have built  countless number of computers, had to set up and run numerous pieces of hardware, and have to deal with several different OS's.  There  was no Windows, or USB, or plug and pray around when I first started.   The internet was a pipe dream.  Microsoft was more noted for it's Flight Simulator, than being the juggernaut OS leader they are today.  And believe or not, most of us didn't have a hard drive.  We ran everything out of the RAM.  Hard drives back then were insanely expensive.

It's because of that past that I  still look at computers as an ongoing project.   Something that needs to be tended to, not simply stuck on a desk and forgotten about.  To me they were never designed to be placed into the hands of people who didn't have the willpower to actually learn about what they were using.  Instead,  thanks to Microsoft and Apple,  now people expect them to be like that foremetioned toaster.

I keep hearing people say they don't have the time to do a reformat of their hard drives.  Oh but they have enough time to screw around on game message boards, and also play those games.  But nooo, can't do a reinstall  of WIndows.  Sorry if I don't buy into that.  People are lazy, they don't want to do it, but sorry, sometimes it's neccessary.  

It's really not that hard.  All that stuff you can collect on your hardrive can be transfered off that drive onto a partion, or second hard drive, or in my case, both.  

Personally I'm pretty anal when it comes to backing up my stuff.  If I have something on the C: drive that I really want to keep, it isn't too hard to transfer another copyt to another partion and my second hard drive.  I even go extra mile and burn some stuff onto CD's.  I'm just in the habit of never leaving anything important on the C: drive by itself.  I make copies.  Regardless of how much stuff you accumalate, there is always a way to make a copy of it.  The best way is just to purchase another hard drive.

I keep folders for every little thing I download.  The reason I can get my system up to speed from scratch pretty fast is that I  have darn near everything I need stored on my second hard drive.   Once an OS is installed, it nothing more than point and click.  I even have my serial numbers stored in text document, so I can simply cut and past them into the fields.   Every driver I download is filtered off into it's own folder. That folder has three copies to it.  One on my parition, one on my second hard drive, and one on my CD.
It's almost scary how fast I can get my systems up and running, and do most of it using one hand on the mouse.

Game folders and patches can be saved.  If I have any saved games on my system that I want to keep, I simply save the folder they are stored in.   Most games have patches that you can also store.  I try never to rely on the internet as my sole means of getting my patches installed.  If I can download a full version of the patch, driver, or app, then that's what I do.  Saves bunches of time from not having to dowload it.  Especially if your still on dial-up.

If you never make any  atempt to back up your stuff on your C: drive, your just asking for a heartbreaking experince if you hard drive crashes,  or your get a paticulary nasty virus, or because of an install of something, it crashes your Windows partion.  Then what are you going to do?  Guess you'll have to reinstall Windows at some point.  And then of course you'll have to spend an insane amount of time getting it back to the way you want it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ya, I'm a bit touchy about this.  I can understand people if they have had problems with ATI products in the past, and are hesitant to ever purchase their products again.   I would be too probably, but I wouldn't count them out forever.   The people my posts were aimed at are the ones I never stop seeing.  
You know the ones, the people who have never owned any the metioned products, the ones that love to spread the hersay about products when they clearly never did their homework to find out the factual information.  The ones the go strictly on word of mouth, from other people who are as naive about the products as they are.

And then there are the people who never rise above doing nothing else but turn on the computer, and click the icon.  I have had people proudly boast they know nothing about their computers and are intent on keeping it that way.   "I pay people to install new hard drives or CDRW's"   or " I will never reinstall Windows, when I can get someone else to do it".  I lump these nitwits into the same catagory of people who believe a college education is all the learning they need in life.   Believe me,  I have had people say these things to me.  A good chunk of people these days wants other people to do their thinking for them. That's pretty sad if you ask me.

So yeah, I get cranky when ignorance is passed around like it's the word of a god.  

If you have an actual complaint about something based on good information, or hands on experience, I have no problem with that.

But when people start trying to influence other people by nothing more than word-of-mouth, that annoys me.  I'm sorry, but your friend of a friend of a friend story, shouldn't be used to convince somebody that some product is crap.   Try finding out yourself.  It really isn't that hard to do.

You know something, I have never had to call customer service on anything computer related since hooking up to the internet.   If I have a question about something, a little digging is usually all I need to find out what I need.  I'm not saying there will never be a time I would need to call, but that says something about how great the internet really is.   It's just too bad that there are still some people to lazy to go find the info themselves.  It's one thing to be clearly befuddled about something, but how many problems can be resolved with nothing more than typing the info your looking for into a search engine and clicking the search button?  Think about how much less bad information would be passed along if everyone just look ed up some information about whatever subject they aren't clear on? Like these ATI vs. Nvidia threads.

Nowdays, I do my homework on just about every product I buy.  I don't check just one source, I check a multitude of different reviews, analyst breakdowns, reader submitted reviews.  In short everything I can get my little mouse pointer on.  I don't trust one source of information, I gather many sources and come up with my own conclusions.  Then I will buy the products, give'em a test drive.  If they are not up to par with me, then I return it for something different.    But the last thing I do is try to spread false rumours.  I try and give various companies a chance to prove themselves.   There was a time no one would touch AMD chips.  To slow, to hot, to buggy.  But look how far they have come.  If people still relied on the bogus info that is pass around these days, no one would buy the Athlons.   There are still people who believe that info, like it's  in some holy scripture.    

It's the same thing with video cards.   Is ATI ever going to have a chance to shed their past problems?  or are they forever going to be haunted by their past problems?  Take my advice, the LAST thing you want is for ATI  to bite the dust.  You think video cards are expensive now,  just think  of world now without them.  Your going to have to take out a second mortgage on your house to pay for the current Nvidia offering, and do you think they would have the motivation to keep improving their line of cards?
That's what happen to Intel, until AMD gave them a good slap in the face.  It's taken Intel almost three years to soundly  take back the performance crown from AMD, and in that time we have seen some great prices on processors, and in turn on motherboards and memory.  Not to metion some innovative and remarkable products introduced by both Intel and AMD.  All that wouldn't have happen if AMD didn't break out of their shell, run up the battle flag, and take Intel to the limit.  We would most likely still be running processors under 500mhz, we would have no speedy FSB, or nice fat caches running at full clock speed.  Or various specialized instruction set, and of course no Hyper-Threading on the P4 3.06.

Why bother if you don't have any comptition?

And that's why I write these long-winded posts.  If your smart, you'll want ATI to succeed in a big way.  Same goes for just about any product out there.

But bad info passed along doesn't help that cause.

Hey if your fine running what you have,  than that's what is important.  I have my Geforce3 in my second system.  Good card, though had to suffer through some bad Detenator drivers.   If Geforce is your thing than by all means keep with them.

But try not dragging ATI through the mud if you don't really know anything about them.  And I have seen plenty of those on these boards and others that tell me that there are still plenty of people who haven't got their facts straight on these issuses.   All i'm doing is trying to enlighten the crowd so to speak...

P.S. GEE-ZUS! this a long post.  Damit, you people got me writing a novel...grrrrrr

LordStar

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2003, 11:49:24 am »
I work for a college as the System Specialist

We have 2000+ machines, all but a handfull are gateways with ati radeons 8500's. Tthey are stable mostly until you actually use them for any heavy graphics use even with fresh from scratch installs, which we do to our specs, as soon as the machines arrive.
  The card is just not stable, well more precise the drivers are not stable and these are supposed oem cards which are suppose to be the most stable of the lot. Now take that same machine, yank the card and install a Nvidia ti4200 with Nvidia's newest non beta drivers and boom you have a machine capable of doing complex rendering with no crashes or hangs. Seems to me this says alot about ati's current state of their drivers. 2000+ computers can't be wrong.  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2003, 12:35:20 pm »
In this case I'd be just as likely to blame Gateway as ATI.
Have you looked closely at the quality of the mainbooards or
what processors are in use? I have found that
ATI + AMD = poor graphics performance in the long run.

Dell / Gateway + ATI = ack! cough, sputter (cheap, cheap, cheap)

When will the consumer ever learn that saving a few dollars
now will inevitably cost them much more later... sigh...

How many times do I have to say it?
NOTHING compares to the quality of ASUS or Gigabyte mainboards
Intel processors, with Adaptec mass storage and MATROX video cards.

Matrox produces superior video cards that are not built around
the latest games, but rather for quality, stability and performance.

Matrox  

Hawkwind

« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2003, 01:14:15 pm »
Well like I say I and others were just expressing a opinion, and in my case it's also a professional one.

People are free to pick and choose, and quite rightly so.

As for your point of ruling them out perminately, well put it this way if a company holds a bad reputation in one area then obviously people are going to shy away from any future offerings.

(Gives a LONG HARD look at TALDREN..)

Once a brand has a poor reputation is very hard to shake off, if you take SFC3 as a example I doubt I'd buy any further products that had Taldrens logo anywhere near it, after SFC2 and 3, that is unless it's redeemed and the product is put into the state it should have been BEFORE release.

But as far as ATI goes, my own experience is yes they are good cards, but I wouldn't install one into any machine where High reliability was a issue or where a client wasn't prepared or was capable for the up's and downs.

That's one area where I'd give Nvidia Top marks for, purely because they put so much into keeping their drivers current and reliable, far more so than most other manufacturers.  Where their focus has been far too much on pumping out the Highest Spec Hardware.

End of the Day if you've got a car that'll do 250 Mph, it's no damn good if the wheels drop off at 20Mph because of poor wheel nuts. lol

And of all the cards etc I've used and installed and all the software I've tested for various houses, as far as problems go one name consistantly comes up and frequently and for the same reasons.

But at the end of the day, if you have one and you like it good for you, and if you don't and are thinking of buying a new card, well you've heard what I and other Tech Heads have said, and hopefully you'll be able to make a more informed choice of purchase, that's going to suit you best.

Enough said.

Oh and Taldren, please take a huge dose of ethics and clean up your QA!

Releasing something this bad and hoping you can fix it after just isn't a smart way to conduct business, it annoys the hell out of your customer base, and sully's your company's name and reputation.

Or to put it in terms I would use, If it came to building a sytem for a client I wasn't 100% satisfied with, I'd rather not build it at all and keep the client.

I'd rather pay an extra £5 for a quality product than £30 for Junk, and while no software is bug free, someone over there is definately pulling our chain, if they thought this was in anyway shape or form fit to go gold.

Have some pride and never let money be the master of invention.

LordStar

« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2003, 01:34:28 pm »
these are all p4's ranging from 1.8's to 2.4's
all have 256meg of memory
as well as the fact that they only act up with the ati's  
oh and as far as the amd and ati thing I have 2 hand built machines at home both are 1800xp +'s one runs a Geforce and the other runs an ati both are identical exept for the vid card and both run fine even though I notice more slow downs in the ati box then the gf box. but no system halting crashes.  

P.S.  Government contracts are unbreakable however we do spec out the systems we buy and although I don't have the spec sheet here in front of me this minute I am fairly certain that the mobo's are all intel's
« Last Edit: February 16, 2003, 01:41:41 pm by LordStar »

MagnumMan

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2003, 12:30:36 pm »
I'm not impressed with nvidia any more.  Their latest product simply plays catch-up to ATI (oh, and it requires 2 slots and a noisy-arse fan to do it), and ATI is going to blow them out of the water with the R350.  I've heard from many people that the ATI drivers are way more reliable than they used to be.  I personally have a problem with nvidia's driver kit right now.  The 41.09 drivers do NOT play well with my GeForce2 GTS and Neverwinter Nights.  It causes the game to load level so slowly, you could literally go get *and have* a cup of coffee between scenes.  I had to go back to 31.40.

In truth I wish one of the big graphics companies would go back and re-engineer the graphics chip so that it was more efficient.  Current solutions seem to be brute-force approaches to solving solutions; as evidenced by the amount of energy the current chips require.  There's a reason why Serial ATA is so much more elegant than Parallel ATA; it's much simpler, so the speed can be jacked way up.  I believe tile-based rendering was a stab at this kind of optimization; unfortunately the companies who tried to make it work were unable to keep up with the marketing and engineering muscle that is ATI and nvidia... in the end, it hurts us all.

My next video card will probably come from ATI, and have  at least one R350 on it.

Damaged

« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2003, 01:55:40 pm »
--------------------
Austin 3:16 What?