Topic: OT: Battlestar Galactica miniseries boycott  (Read 21519 times)

Lieutenant_Q

Re: OT: Battlestar Galactica miniseries boycott
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2003, 07:55:12 pm »
Gah! I was hoping that this would stay off this board.  I get enough of this at the BSG fan club that i am a member of.  For those of you that care, I am against the remake as much as some people are, but i'm not fanatical about it.  I will prolly be watching the first one to see what it is like, and if it interests me, I will continue to watch it.  Will I think that it is truely BattleStar Galactica...No.  Will I ever be convinced that it is somthing other than a cheap knock off...No.  But I will watch it and see just what Mr. Moore (he did give us parts of TNG remember) has in store for us.  

ActiveX

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 11:08:24 pm »
Quote:

my 2 cents,ill watch  BSG  on the sci-fi channel,just to see what new spin they put on it.

are they selling that new BSG on VHS,not all of us have those new fangled DVD  players  

VHS? When did they stop with BetaMAX?

Aldaron

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2003, 07:25:50 am »
Personally I'll give it a chance just like I did with ST:TNG and it's new set of characters. Some of the new BSG seems interesting. I'm not too keen on the idea of the human cylons taken from BSG1980 and putting them in at the begining but we'll see. As much as I liked the original BSG watching now a lot of it is cheesy (especially the episode with Starbuck on the planet that was captured by Cylons and castles and the kids that were still fighting them). Hopefully the new series gets labels correct and consistent. Everytime the original visited a new system they called it a galaxy when in truth it was just a new star system they reached. They can keep the time labels, that didn't make a difference but at least keep distances and such so they make sense.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2003, 09:04:13 am »
Hello David Ferrell,

You and I, don't very often agree,
so this should give the whole Taldren Forums "pause"...

I agree.
Thank you for the warning.

I'm an ultra-fan of the Old BSG,
and I'm gonna vote with my wallet as well,

Its truely sad,
that after all this time (since the 1978-1979 AD, Old BSG),
they go and ruin, IMHO, what could have been a great experience for the fans,
and the Studios to make money,

I personally believe that "IQs have sharply dropped in the Studio",
I smell the "hand of Glen Larson" in this one

Quote:

<snip>

If you have strong conservative views, heart-felt religious views, or consider yourself a loyal fan of the original Battlestar Galactica then this show may offend you.

Take care ,:)
GeneralWolfe

Captain Krenn

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2003, 11:24:29 am »
I'll probably watch it.  

But then again I was never an avid BSG fan, so it probably won't offend me as much as it would if I were.

I can certainly understand the POV of fans of the original show.  From what I've seen, about the only thing
this mini series is going to share with original series is the name.

The producers of the show said if you were a loyal BSG fan it would probably be a good idea not to
watch it as its only going to anger you.

That being the case, why did they even bother using the same name?

------
conversation I had with a friend's kid

Me: Wow that looks like a Cylon helmet.

Kid: What's a Cylon?

Me: OK, now I feel reaeelly old!

BortaS

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2003, 11:34:28 am »
I'll watch it, but I will take it as a completely different show than the first BSG.  I'll use the apples and oranges approach to it.

Oberon

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2003, 01:40:08 pm »
Quote:

my 2 cents,ill watch  BSG  on the sci-fi channel,just to see what new spin they put on it.

are they selling that new BSG on VHS,not all of us have those new fangled DVD  players  

DVD players are pretty cheap [I got a JVC for a pretty old 2nd TV for ~$70, I've seen unknown brands for ~$50] here in TN, they cannot be that bad in Boston.  Get one.  If you can't afford one, then, good luck in the near future, and get one ASAP.

TobinDax

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2003, 06:18:26 pm »
I can't believe people would waste an effort with a boycott like this. I will not be buying any products from this, but I look forward to seeing a remake of a series that I watched faithfully, yes even the stupid galactica 1980 with it's super scouts. I look forward to a real dramatic and sci-fi treatment and not the ABC disco era cheese that handicapped the shows' best intentions.
 How many of you who are going to boycott the mini-series watched the last planet of the apes movie? Should no one have watched it  because of the original? Hollywood is in the habbit of remakes to bring movies/shows up to present era standards as well as to bank on a proven product.
I ran into enough people back in 1986 who weren't going to watch that next generation crap either. It went on to succeed without them, although I know some of them changed their tune.
So if you don't want to watch a new spin on BSG, that's fine, but spend your energy more constructively on things that matter, like playing Orion Pirates on the dyna!  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 06:26:34 pm by TobinDax »

Tumulorum Fossor

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2003, 07:51:44 pm »
Geez.  I didn't even KNOW about a BSG remake until I read this post.  And then I read the story about how the creators are... ahem... "reinterpreting" the storyline.

Well, I guess it is the producers' perogative to take creative license and change things up a bit (see multiple threads: "SFB is not SFC." ), but what really pi$$es me off about stuff like this is the blatant pandering.

I mean, let's call this what it is: the creative license that was used here, I strongly suspect, was NOT because it suddenly makes the BSG storyline much more interesting.  It's to make it more marketable.  Period.

That's the formula that post-Roddenberry Trek has gone by with [sarcasm/] great success [/sarcasm off].  

For example, I have nothing against a strong, dominant, fighter-pilot female main character.  But when it's deliberately done to replace "Starbuck" simply to make the show more palatable across more demographics, well, that just smacks of making creative changes for the wrong reasons.  And I'm sure the rest of the show will do likewise.

Amazing that producers like these tap into a cult-phenomenon that's lasted 30+ years, with the goal of decimating everything that made it so appealing for 30+ years.

Then again, it's entirely likely that I'm becoming an old[er] fart.  And against change for change's sake.  After all, SFC3 was/is more fun than I initially gave it credit for, just a different experience than SFB/SFC/SFC2.  Maybe the same will be true for BSG.

But I ain't holding my breathe.

So I WILL give BSG a chance.  I'll watch as much as I can stomach.  But at the first sign of blatant Demographic Pandering, the channel gets changed.  I suspect that means I'll be changing the channel about 25% through the cast introduction sequence.

[more sarcasm/] Gee, I hope they change that lousy orchestral theme with a Bon Jovi vocal ballad! [/more sarcasm off].

-TF

Lepton1

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2003, 09:01:28 pm »
BSG sucks and always has.  Not that I didn't watch it and enjoy it as a KID, but give me a break, it is pretty shoddy work.  And that horrible 1984 series!  Whew!!  Talk about a venue to sell toys to kids.  It's about time they did something with it.  Frankly from reading a bit of the screen play reviews it sounds a bit more substantial than the original BSG ever was.  But I also am not expecting anything great from the SciFi channel.  Their Dune series is a snoring bore, and they would rather air horror movies than than SciFi.  We know their demographic by looking at Scare Tactics.  Any thoughtful philosophical SciFi heads watching that show, not!  Is StarTrek TOS to be found anywhere on their dang network even though they seem to own the rights to show it??  No!  What did you expect??

Parislord

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2003, 09:14:53 pm »
I don't see any problem with reinterpreting a couple of the original charcters as female, provided they keep the general personalities faithufl to Starbuck and Boomer.  Who says a femaile can't be a swashbuckling fighter jock?  I just hope they don't try to pull a Wingcommander and make this show another 90210 in space.

For my own part, I'm not sure who could have filled Dirk Benedict's shoes very well.  I'm just suprised SciFi didn't get some british actor with a swank accent and no talent to play to part...

Who would all of you have picked?  I kind of like Richard Dean Anderson for it, but he's a little old.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Parislord »

La'ra

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2003, 06:29:48 am »
Something just kind of occured to me.

The original Battlestar Galactica was horribly cheesy, had terrible effects and a mystic subplot, and the women were very ERA with long hair and no bras.

The new Battlestar Galactica is portraying itself as edgy and 'new' but keeping a familiar name for advertising purposes, has replaced male characters with foxy women, and added an element of 'we don't know who they are!' about the Cylons.  Baltar is young and dark and handsome, his Cylon friend is a Victoria Secret model.

Say what you want to, both do reflect the times they were made it so well it's scary.  

Sten

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2003, 07:53:30 am »
I intend to watch the series and keep an open mind.

As far as females replacing a few chareacters.

Duke Nukem said it best. "Shake it baby. Shake it."

Dogmatix!

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2003, 11:56:37 am »
Quote:

BSG sucks and always has.  Not that I didn't watch it and enjoy it as a KID, but give me a break, it is pretty shoddy work.  And that horrible 1984 series!  Whew!!  Talk about a venue to sell toys to kids.  It's about time they did something with it.  Frankly from reading a bit of the screen play reviews it sounds a bit more substantial than the original BSG ever was.  But I also am not expecting anything great from the SciFi channel.  Their Dune series is a snoring bore, and they would rather air horror movies than than SciFi.  We know their demographic by looking at Scare Tactics.  Any thoughtful philosophical SciFi heads watching that show, not!  Is StarTrek TOS to be found anywhere on their dang network even though they seem to own the rights to show it??  No!  What did you expect??  

Good morning, Sunshine!

Captain KoraH

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2003, 11:59:32 am »
I have nothing agsinst those who say "I'm going to give it a try, and keep an open mind", really I don't. But for me there is a time for an open mind and a time to shut the door. One of our biggest problems in America nowadays is that people feel like everything should be given a chance. That leads to good change in some cases and bad change in others. Why do we need lawsuits against MacDonalds because their coffee is too hot? Why do we even consider letting a home invader sue the home owner for shooting him? Because some people's minds are open to anything, which is NOT as good as having sound judgement to begin with. But, when the first 30 minutes of this new series is nothing but sex, pointless violence and destroyed dreams, don't come back here to say "you were right KoraH, this thing sucks" because I already know it will, weather it's true to the original or not. And I'll still be your friend despite your lack of judgement.  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2003, 12:05:59 pm »
I just want to add that any show that includes a sex craving cybernetic supermodel that is named "6 of 12" by an ex-producer of Voyager, is clearly setting it's self up for failure. I heard rumors Paramount is suing them for coppying 7 of 9.  

Sten

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2003, 12:18:29 pm »
Quote:

I have nothing agsinst those who say "I'm going to give it a try, and keep an open mind", really I don't. But for me there is a time for an open mind and a time to shut the door. One of our biggest problems in America nowadays is that people feel like everything should be given a chance. That leads to good change in some cases and bad change in others. Why do we need lawsuits against MacDonalds because their coffee is too hot? Why do we even consider letting a home invader sue the home owner for shooting him? Because some people's minds are open to anything, which is NOT as good as having sound judgement to begin with. But, when the first 30 minutes of this new series is nothing but sex, pointless violence and destroyed dreams, don't come back here to say "you were right KoraH, this thing sucks" because I already know it will, weather it's true to the original or not. And I'll still be your friend despite your lack of judgement.  

Whether this show sucks or not. The fact of the matter is it has already been made.

I have been watching science fiction for 42 of my 43 years I have spent on this planet. Yes I can remember the first SCI-FI movie I watched. I was alittle over 1 year old.

So yea I will give it a shot and keep an open mind. Apparently you are not. That is your choice. Don't watch the show. Go ahead and shut the door.

I happen to live in a state were it is legal to shoot someone on your property if you feel threatend. So I will not have to worry about being sued for keeping an open mind. Mind you anybody threatening me, my family or my property on my property will die.

You don't like the new twist for BSG oh well. The original was okay. I watched it all the time and was buymmed out when it was canceled. Hated the 1980s version.

So as far as a lack of judgement personally I feel you are falling into the same category.

SHAKE IT BABY SHAKE IT!

David Ferrell

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2003, 12:25:55 pm »
Some people it appears don't have the intelligence when confronted
with a pile of dog poop to not put it in their mouths.  Frankly it sickens me.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by David Ferrell »

Sten

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2003, 12:43:29 pm »
Quote:

Dave  

Tsk tsk. I was smart enough to delete SFC3 and retain EAW and OP.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2003, 01:12:22 pm »
Quote:

Dave  

Wow.