Topic: OT: Battlestar Galactica miniseries boycott  (Read 21520 times)

TalonClaw

Re: OT: Battlestar Galactica miniseries boycott
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2003, 01:47:21 pm »
Quote:

Some people it appears don't have the intelligence when confronted
with a pile of dog poop to not put it in their mouths.  Frankly it sickens me.

Dave  

A rather graphic representation of how it is.  The Entertainment industry has learned that they can shovel us all the poop we can eat simply because we gobble up anything that is a sequel to something we know and love.

ActiveX

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2003, 01:55:29 pm »
Lookit the slams...yeeeouch...

TalonClaw

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2003, 02:06:58 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Dave  

Tsk tsk. I was smart enough to delete SFC3 and retain EAW and OP.

Touché Fred.  I can see where a SFB fan might have that point of view.  Not being a SFBer and being a TOS and a Next Gen fan I liked SFC3 but I do wish it could have been built on EAW and OP's strengths and not been dumbed down.  But it still has it's own features and I still play it.

But as for BSG they are totally making a new show based on sex and violence and putting the BSG name on it to sell it.  That?s not what BSG was all about.    

Sure BSG was cheesy but so was TOS.  The characters, story, and messages presented is what made those series so great.  

BSG and Star Trek were awsome given the budgets and technology of the time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TalonClaw »

Sten

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2003, 02:15:41 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Dave  

A rather graphic representation of how it is.  The Entertainment industry has learned that they can shovel us all the poop we can eat simply because we gobble up anything that is a sequel to something we know and love.  

Actually I think the original comments are a graphic representation of what is still wrong with the Unted States.

Rather than get preachy here. Intolerance is a sad fact of life. I am quite capable of deciding for myself what I find entertaining. So if Apollo and Starbuck in the sack distrubs you don't watch it.

This thread reminds me of the Trekies who freaked out when James T Kirk took a dirt nap.

Or how about the... Its based on SFB its not SFB, its SFC.

Its a Television show for crying out load.

TalonClaw

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2003, 03:05:58 pm »
Then call it Apollo and Starbuck in the sack.  It's no longer a family show and does not deserve the BSG name.

Captain Krenn

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2003, 03:24:51 pm »
Yikes!

I think Dave's having a bad day and needs to head out for a few margaritas!

Go get 1 or 2 and mail me the bill, I'll be happy to buy you a couple of rounds

Lepton1

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2003, 03:36:44 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Dave  

Tsk tsk. I was smart enough to delete SFC3 and retain EAW and OP.

Zing!!!  David.  Place.  Put.   HEHE!!!

I really don't understand Dave's reaction here.  BSG was not good enough to get upset about.   I suppose B9 is all that and a bag chips right and not some Shadowrun meets Oni rip off.  Your moral indignation or whatever it is is ludicruous.  Try banning yourself.

NannerSlug

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2003, 03:38:15 pm »
the new bsg is the complete opposite of what the orginal bsg was.

i loved watching bsg when i was a kid.. the good guys were good.. and the baddies were that.. the script was forward looking at what is good in us..

this script is nothing more than an election year bush bashing pile of political mush which looks and exploits what is bad about us.

sorry if this is sappy, but i like watching things that talk about what is good and right - and how we can over come struggles.. not about how everyone is out to screw each other and how there is a lie underneath ever rock.

poor script. sorry.

TalonClaw

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2003, 03:44:18 pm »
Quote:

Yikes!

Definately

"I burn." -- Spock

David Ferrell

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2003, 03:46:28 pm »
Battlestar is something I enjoyed as a lad and I don't like to see it get
mangled by people trying to make a fast buck.

This isn't the first time that it has happened, Starship Troopers is even
a worse case.  No talents trading on and twisting another?s work to get their story,
that no wanted without the famous name, published.

I would say the problem with the USA is we are too tolerant.  Too many people
are willing to look the other way at abhorrent behavior as long as it doesn't
directly affect them.

Thanks,

Dave

David Ferrell

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2003, 03:53:23 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Yikes!

Definately

"I burn." -- Spock

The only problem is I don't drink!  Though lately I have been reconsidering
that decision.

Thanks,

Dave

Captain KoraH

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2003, 04:02:40 pm »
How good the original was isn't the point really, we're talking about how bad the remake is. I'm sure we could think of other bad originals that had better remakes too, but let's stick to the point.

I do agree about the "collective we" shoveling poop into our mouths as fast as we can, which in turn causes the poop pedlers to produce more of it. That's sort of the whole point behind the boycott, to stop eating their poop.

That's a nice melodramatic speech about killing home invaders, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with my point. Go ahead and watch the show, it's your time to waste. Maybe your favorite show will be next if enough people like the new BSG, but I sure wouldn't be going into your boycott thread and telling you to keep an open mind about it.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2003, 04:06:35 pm »
Dave:

Quote:

The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first and love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life.--Theodore Roosevelt  

Toasty0

The gallery is snickering
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2003, 04:41:08 pm »
This is television fer goodness sakes. It is not brain surgery. It is not rocket science. It is a medium of entertainment...much like vaudville and traveling geek shows.

This name calling, and other inapproperiate actions over an electronic box that serves no other purpose than to engage the  undereducated with product that requires no critical analysis or thought is almost ludicrous if it weren't so sad. Add to the mix the absurdity that this donnybrook is specifically over a show that was the ultimate representive of sci-fi televison camp in its time. No wonder the gallery is snickering.

I guess it is true that if you stare into the unblinking eye long enough perspective looses all reference to reality.  

David Ferrell

Re: The gallery is snickering
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2003, 04:52:31 pm »
It's certainly no worse than a bunch of grown men arguing over which to use:
170 or 180 BPV.

Thanks,

Dave

David Ferrell

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2003, 04:58:00 pm »
Nor any worse than getting excited over an advertising gimick for a video game:

http://208.57.228.4/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Black9General&Number=162202&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Thanks,

Dave

Jwest

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2003, 05:05:10 pm »
I'm not a big fan of Battlestar Galactica - Star Trek claimed to be Space Opera, to get past the networks that thought intellectual Sci-Fi was a losing proposition. BSG was, in fact, Space Opera - Good Space Opera, but space Opera.

I don't think it's going to be all that good - first glance appraisal is that it's far to close to the same BS that's been served up before. On the other hand, the last time I just decided I wasn't going to watch a show was when Dark Angel got replaced by Firefly, which turned out to be a good show, with good writing, and I rather wish I had had the chance to see it all the way through. My ability to judge a show in advance of actually watching it is demonstrably fallible.

Perhaps no one else here possesses that particular flaw.

ActiveX

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2003, 05:06:45 pm »
Somebody hosed everyone with gasoline and lit a match...

Or OT leaked...

Aldaron

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2003, 06:14:50 pm »
Quote:

Dave  

To each his own I guess. BSG was good when I was younger and like so many things I watch now that I used to love then it just seems cheesy. There were some good eps and lots of bad eps just like anything. I'll see the show before I judge it on it's own merits and not what was made 30 years ago.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2003, 06:32:02 pm »
Quote:

How good the original was isn't the point really, we're talking about how bad the remake is. I'm sure we could think of other bad originals that had better remakes too, but let's stick to the point.

I do agree about the "collective we" shoveling poop into our mouths as fast as we can, which in turn causes the poop pedlers to produce more of it. That's sort of the whole point behind the boycott, to stop eating their poop.

That's a nice melodramatic speech about killing home invaders, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with my point. Go ahead and watch the show, it's your time to waste. Maybe your favorite show will be next if enough people like the new BSG, but I sure wouldn't be going into your boycott thread and telling you to keep an open mind about it.

So you and some others in this thread have set yourselves up as the ones who decide what is crap and also the arbiters the quality of the people who decide to give something a chance?  

I dislike most of what has been "popular music" during my lifetime.  I don't liken those that do like it to eaters of feces just because I see little or no redeeming qualities in what they like.  I decide what I like and what I don't and I assume others can and should do the same for themselves.

I've seen some rather disturbing insults in this thread that I feel are completely uncalled for.  The mere fact that this topic has spilled into several different forums in this community is ridiculous to me.

I enjoyed Battlestar Galactica when I was a kid too.  I liked a lot of shows when I was a kid...Space 1999, UFO, and Star Trek just to name a few.  They were the basis for my love of sci-fi that continues to this day.  What gets done in the way of a remake of any of these things is not something that would send me so far over the edge that I'd show complete and utter disdain for anyone deciding to actually watch it and decide for themselve how, under what circumstances and/or whether they like something.

Personally, I don;t hold out a lot of hope that this new BSG is going to be any good...but I certainly don't think myself a rube or devourer of fecal matter for deciding to actually watch it and judge it by it merits after actually doing so.

Contemptable of me, I know...

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dogmatix! »