Topic: I have no mouth and I must scream  (Read 13232 times)

cherokee158

I have no mouth and I must scream
« on: February 08, 2003, 12:26:08 pm »
...because I have lost my jewel case with the @!&$?!! CD key on it. (I think it would be nice if this information was stuck on the CD, too, in the event something like this happens. A lot of people like to keep games in CD wallets) I just finished an upgrade to XP and need to reinstall SFC.

What do I do now?    

Pestalence

Re: I have no mouth and I must scream
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 01:15:08 pm »
This has happened to me before...

For me, I found this neat invention called a "Sharpie". It magically made lines of the color that I chose.. and is fantastic for writing CD keys on the CD's themselves just in case the original jewell case is lost.

I found this out the hard way about 5 years ago and have written the CD key on my CD's ever since... now if I can only keep track of my CD jacket.. lol...

I also use my desktop scanner to make a hard copy on paper to put into each sleve...

maybe Taldren can generate you a new CD key, but you may want to contact them by Email...

just look at their profiles for the Email addresses... Give them time to respond as they tend to keep busy.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

LongTooth

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 01:19:01 pm »
If you have not reinstalled your OS  you should be all right
Now what was stoping you putting the CD key on the disk
If you cant find the case you may have to buy the game again and this time keep an eye on where you leave it

Tulmahk

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 06:32:18 pm »
"I lost my manual" is a well known and understood phenomenon.  But "I lost my CD case"?  What fury hath hell wraught?

I propose a new official thread entitled, "The Official 'I Lost My CD Case' Thread".  Guess who has the dubious distinction of making the first post?

BTW I would give you my CD key, but of course it's 'in use'.  

[RS]Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 07:09:27 pm »
hee hee... I had this problem once with Red Alert 2... luckily they produced an expansion pack with RA2 + Yuri's Revenge in one bundle, and I convinced my mom to buy it for me for christmas... so I did get *another* cd key for RA2 but she never knew that you can buy Yuri's Revenge standalone for half the price  

By that token, I suppose you'll be waiting for the Official SFC3 "Collector's Edition", which would get released 2-3 weeks after the expansion comes out, and has SFC3 original + expansion =D That's assuming that Taldren doesn't get bored of making starships...    

cherokee158

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 07:20:24 pm »
I was really hoping for more constructive advice from this thread.

Does anyone know if I can contact Activision or Taldren's Customer Service and fax a copy of my manual or something to get a CD key? As much as I enjoy this game, fifty bucks one time is plenty.  

Pestalence

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 07:58:48 pm »
Quote:

maybe Taldren can generate you a new CD key, but you may want to contact them by Email...

just look at their profiles for the Email addresses... Give them time to respond as they tend to keep busy.

I posted this up above.. find a thread with one of the Taldren staff in it like David Ferrell .... Click on his name for his profile.. then click on the Email address that is there and send an Email...

Scorpion

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 09:22:31 pm »
I would say run around frantically and search for your jewel case  , but I guess e-mailing Taldren to issue you a new cd key wouldn't be a bad idea either.  Can Taldren do that or does Activision issue those cd keys!???  

David Ferrell

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 11:32:07 pm »
This would be an Activision thing.  We have no customer support department (present
company excluded).

Thanks,

Dave  

jdmckinney

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2003, 06:44:13 am »
I find this especially funny (to be blatantly off-topic), because several members of Taldren's staff once did a game based on Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." The game even came with a nifty, but hard to use, mouse pad (not enough friction from the foam on the bottom to keep the pad from moving around).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by jdmckinney »

cherokee158

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2003, 11:30:08 am »
Yes, I did that on purpose. I actually have that game...it was a rather unique title. The mouse pad was very cool and, you're right, nearly useless. But decorative. (It has lately began to dry rot on me, sadly)

Have you ever read the story? Chilling!  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2003, 11:51:18 am »
Key locations in the registry:

For SFC3:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Activision\Star Trek Starfleet Command III ---> KEY (text)

For OP:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GameSpy\CDKeys ---> StarfleetCommand2 (hex)

For EAW:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WON\CDKeys ---> StarfleetCommand2 (hex)

Since you upgraded to XP, the original registry is gone, but XP may
have imported these keys - not sure though. If you did a clean
install of XP then you're definitely SOL.

jdmckinney

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2003, 02:05:04 pm »
Read the story? How could I not?

It was required reading as part of one of my college English courses, as a matter of fact.

If you've never attended an Ellison reading/lecture, I highly recommend it.

Aliasalpha

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2003, 07:48:09 am »
Quote:

...because I have lost my jewel case with the @!&$?!! CD key on it.

Hey, at least yours started on your jewel case. Mine was stuck on the back of the freakin box where any wanker could read it.

cherokee158

I have no mouth and I must scream
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 12:26:08 pm »
...because I have lost my jewel case with the @!&$?!! CD key on it. (I think it would be nice if this information was stuck on the CD, too, in the event something like this happens. A lot of people like to keep games in CD wallets) I just finished an upgrade to XP and need to reinstall SFC.

What do I do now?    

Pestalence

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2003, 01:15:08 pm »
This has happened to me before...

For me, I found this neat invention called a "Sharpie". It magically made lines of the color that I chose.. and is fantastic for writing CD keys on the CD's themselves just in case the original jewell case is lost.

I found this out the hard way about 5 years ago and have written the CD key on my CD's ever since... now if I can only keep track of my CD jacket.. lol...

I also use my desktop scanner to make a hard copy on paper to put into each sleve...

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

LongTooth

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2003, 01:19:01 pm »
If you have not reinstalled your OS  you should be all right
Now what was stoping you putting the CD key on the disk
If you cant find the case you may have to buy the game again and this time keep an eye on where you leave it

Tulmahk

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2003, 06:32:18 pm »
"I lost my manual" is a well known and understood phenomenon.  But "I lost my CD case"?  What fury hath hell wraught?

I propose a new official thread entitled, "The Official 'I Lost My CD Case' Thread".  Guess who has the dubious distinction of making the first post?

BTW I would give you my CD key, but of course it's 'in use'.  

[RS]Cincinnatus

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2003, 07:09:27 pm »
hee hee... I had this problem once with Red Alert 2... luckily they produced an expansion pack with RA2 + Yuri's Revenge in one bundle, and I convinced my mom to buy it for me for christmas... so I did get *another* cd key for RA2 but she never knew that you can buy Yuri's Revenge standalone for half the price  

By that token, I suppose you'll be waiting for the Official SFC3 "Collector's Edition", which would get released 2-3 weeks after the expansion comes out, and has SFC3 original + expansion =D That's assuming that Taldren doesn't get bored of making starships...    

cherokee158

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2003, 07:20:24 pm »
I was really hoping for more constructive advice from this thread.

Does anyone know if I can contact Activision or Taldren's Customer Service and fax a copy of my manual or something to get a CD key? As much as I enjoy this game, fifty bucks one time is plenty.