Topic: My last day at Taldren  (Read 17078 times)

David Ferrell

My last day at Taldren
« on: September 19, 2003, 02:26:21 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know that today is my last day at Taldren.

I have decided to take my family back to Missouri, as the life here in
Southern California has not agreed with us.  I will miss this place and
all of you, but it is time to move on.

To those I may have offended I leave you with these word from the Bard:

If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,  
That you have but slumber?d here  
While these visions did appear.  
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,  
Gentles, do not reprehend:  
If you pardon, we will mend.  
And, as I?m an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck  
Now to ?scape the serpent?s tongue,  
We will make amends ere long;  
Else the Puck a liar call:
So, good night unto you all.  
Give me your hands, if we be friends,  
And Robin shall restore amends.

Sincerely,

David A Ferrell

Strafer

Re: My last day at Taldren
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 02:36:03 pm »
Good travel to you and yours, and keep in touch! You will be remembered even if you don't but...

Toasty0

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 02:36:34 pm »
David,

You let all of US know when you get settled in.

You can call me ( I think you have my number) or drop me an email any time!

Best,
Jerry  

vsfedwards

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 02:47:45 pm »
Take care man, I know I never actually spoke to you on here, but I enjoyed reading your posts and you did a great job. I hope you find something better for yourself and your family, and good luck for the future.

Best wishes, Andy

FireSoul

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 02:49:19 pm »
Good luck out there David.
Know that we're still playing the good games..

NannerSlug

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 02:54:10 pm »
been gone all day and this happens. wow. talk about missing the boat. be well and stay in touch.

ActiveX

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 02:56:44 pm »
May your journey be filled with discovery...and your destination with understanding...

TalonClaw

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 02:59:20 pm »
  Holy COW!  Sad news.

Good luck and god bless you.  Thank you for all the hard work on getting SFC patched up.

Toasty0

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 03:00:30 pm »
I sent this via PM, but thought it might help to post it too

You had better let us know that you and family are doing well.

Dang nabit, David, I feel aweful about this. Know that we are parting friends. I hope you've lined up something "back home" that will be as fullfilling as this experience.

Damnmit, I really don't know what to say except that I know that we'll miss you badly.

Best,
Jerry  

FormerDM

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 03:04:27 pm »
Dave,

First and foremost, Good Luck. I wish you and your family well.

As for the banning of "Death Merchant", I've known him for a few years, and he tells me that it's no biggie...
I (oops, He) has no hard feelings, and hopes you feel the same.

Be Well,
DM

Corbomite

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2003, 03:07:48 pm »
Thank you for all your hard work. I wish you and your family well.

Maxillius

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 03:12:14 pm »
Last day working at Taldren... hope you find something else to do that's worth your time and effort.

as for these forums...  keep coming  and may your successor be as generous as you were in maintaining a dialog with the community.

Good luck in the future!

dangadget

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2003, 03:28:31 pm »
good luck and safe sojourn wherever you and yours go Dave.  

Mog

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2003, 03:33:04 pm »
My thanks for all your work on these games we love, and I wish you well for the future.

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2003, 03:40:22 pm »
Doggon it.  This IS sad news for me.  I'll miss seeing David's posts here on the forum.  Everytime you see one of Dave's posts you know something great is happening with SFC.

I sent Dave an email back when the latest patch for OP came out.  I told him that even though he didn't really know me personally he had made a positive impact in my life.  And I ment it.  I have had so much fun with SFC over the last few years and his dedication to the patches for EAW and OP have been a huge part of that.

Dave, great job.  I hope this post makes your day again.

Good luck in your future endeavours.  

jualdeaux

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2003, 03:44:46 pm »
Well, Dave, it has always been a pleasure to read your posts here. I've also appreciated all your work on the SFC series. Not many people have the tenacity to stick with a game for as long as you have. Good luck in all your future endeavours.

Captain Krenn

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2003, 03:46:29 pm »
Man

Take care out there and make sure you let us know you're OK.

Missouri?  Wow, thats not that far away from Oklahoma.

CaptStumpy

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2003, 03:46:38 pm »
Good luck in your endeavors and thanks for all your work on OP.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2003, 04:10:36 pm »
Good luck and best wishes to you and your family in your future endeavours, Dave, and thank you very much for all your hard work on the SFC series.  I'm sure a lot of it went above-and-beyond the call of duty and for that, I'm personally very grateful.

JMM

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2003, 04:15:10 pm »
Though I can understand your reasons for wanting to return to a better environment for your family, it is a sad day indeed for Taldren. You and Scott (and others I do not know) put in SO MUCH work for us, something very, very few game companies are willing to do after releasing a product.

I've heard similar tales from other people in regards to the environment in California, perhaps Taldren should move to to another state as well? Regardless, I wish you and your family a very safe trip to your new home and new job...

Just remember, if the employer wants references, just tell him of course, not only from work sites but also at Taldren forums, over 6,000 of them, hehehehehehe...

JM  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by JMM »

Sethan

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2003, 04:31:46 pm »
David - you'll definitely be missed.

Fortunately, the Internet is big enough to reach even to Missouri.  Drop us a line here (or better still, stay involved in the community) when you get settled in.

S

NuclearWessels

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2003, 04:46:52 pm »
Best wishes for you and the family Dave,

and many many many thanks for all the hard work you've put in here - it really has been appreciated (even if it hasn't always looked that way )

dave

CptCastrin

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2003, 05:19:46 pm »
I'm kind of in shock ...

Dave, I'm truely sorry to see you go. You have been as fervent an advocate of SFC as anyone ... nay more than anyone here. (including yours truely) The work you did to bring OP back to life and most of it on your own dime is a testament to your dedication and respove to leave nothing behind.

Through good and bad you prevailed. You lost your temper only when pushed to the absolute breaking point and yet even then maintained the respect of most still here. Your's will be a voice of Taldren that I will miss. Heck you ARE the voice of Taldren more than any in the company. This is a sad day of loss for them as well IMHO.

My hopes are that once your settled into your new home that you come here and give us a "hello world" so we know your safe and sound. I also hope that you and your family flurish and you find new things to challange yourself with. And finally I hope that you get a change to play this game that you had such a huge hand in keeping alive.

Good luck and cool breezes my friend.

TheSatyr

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2003, 05:23:21 pm »
Dave,it's been a pleasure to have known you.

I wish you the best,you will be sorely missed here.

JayBee

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2003, 05:35:38 pm »
Do what is best for you and yours Dave, and thanks for all the time you put into scf.

SFC Bennie

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2003, 05:36:57 pm »
David, you were always courteous and professional in your dealings with me. Good luck to you and your family.

Scott Bennie  

Chris Jones

You will be missed.
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2003, 05:42:53 pm »
Dave -

I can relate. We all need to do things that agree with us. I thank you for the lifetime achievement award last April, and I thank you for your participation in the great PC game series called Starfleet Command. It has had a very positive impact on my life as well - leading me in lots of different directions.

Family first - That was the reason for my hiatus from here all summer..

Best of Luck!

Chris Jones
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Chris Jones »

Bossman

Re: You will be missed.
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2003, 05:57:16 pm »
Last day at Taldren, Dave?  HAH!  Don't be joking us.     You'll always a part of the Taldren team, no matter where you are or where you live, bud.  

Take care of the family and drop by once in a while to let us know how you're doing!  Here's wishing you and your family a good time when you guys have settled down.    

Reptor7

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2003, 06:01:53 pm »
Thanks for everything you've done, David. You've been the anchor in these forums, and your help and candor will be missed.  

Once you settle down, drop a line sometime.

Cya.  

Tremok

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2003, 06:12:34 pm »
 Unfortunate news (for us). I doubt Taldren and these boards will ever be the same without your presence.

Godspeed.    

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tremok »

TheShadow

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2003, 06:37:21 pm »
 Geez, Im awful sorry to hear this man. Good luck with the move. I know what a headache it is to pack up and move.

Let us know when you get there and how things are going with you and your's. God be with you.

TarMinyatur

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2003, 06:42:21 pm »
I hope things go well for you and your family. I can't thank you enough for all the effort you've put into this game and this forum. Any software with the Taldren name is an automatic purchase because of you.  

RazalYllib

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2003, 06:48:51 pm »
Total Shock!!

The world must be getting close to the end.....David is leaving Taldren. Total bummer

One good bright light in all of this, i am going to be a little selfish here, MO is just across the river, I'll have to track him down and give him the 6 pack  cold beverages that he so rightfully deserves for all the incredibley hard work he has done for US!

David will be missed.

Aldaron

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2003, 07:01:50 pm »
Hey Dave it's sad news.

Dont be a stranger and stay in touch, can always drop a post now and again

Rod O'neal

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2003, 07:06:39 pm »
Good luck Dave. Your humanity will be missed around here. Whoever takes over from you here has some big shoes to fill  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2003, 07:13:12 pm »
Best wishes Dave, may your future be as successful as your endeavours have proved to date so far. Know you leave behind a legacy of not just a piece of software, but an entire community that has grown to revolve around it; a community you will always be part of. Thanks for all the hard work, and do stay in touch.

NCC2012

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2003, 08:27:12 pm »
Thanks for all the effort you put into the games and this board. You will be missed by all. Good luck on your future endeavors.  

Mentat Jon

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2003, 08:28:27 pm »
go easy Bro  

Dash Jones

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2003, 08:58:56 pm »
Sorry to see you leave Taldren, trust you'll be back for their games though!

Always liked your sig.

Towelie

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2003, 09:20:48 pm »
  Really sorry to hear that. You've always been the most often heard voice from Taldren. I hope things improve for your family. Please, drop a post in every now and then and let us know how it's going.  

sincerely,
                                                                        Daniel G. Miller  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Towelie »

Harold Nez

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2003, 09:28:50 pm »
Good luck.  

BortaS

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2003, 09:29:33 pm »
It's the sign of a good man that puts his family first.  Too bad more don't follow that expample.  I know where I used to work the concept of family first was a forien idea to management.  This was the cause of my departure last month as well.  I fully understand the emotional hell it can cause.  

IndyShark

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2003, 09:34:40 pm »
David, I am sorry to hear you are leaving! I have always enjoyed hearing from you and I always read your posts. I hope your move "home" is all that you hope it to be. Best of luck to you in Mo!

Don't be a stranger!  

Scrag

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2003, 09:44:50 pm »
Good Luck and take care.  

moofighters

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2003, 10:18:09 pm »
Can't let you go without one final word..

MOOOOOO!!!

Take care and have fun!!

SghnDubh

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2003, 11:25:49 pm »
Adios amigo. You will be missed.

Atrahasis

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2003, 03:12:36 am »
Quote:

If we have unearned luck  

Sincerely,

David A Ferrell

Shakespeare? Midsummer Night's Dream I think.  

Have a good life in Missouri.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Atrahasis »

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2003, 05:07:22 am »
In the best maritime traditions... I wish you fair winds and following seas.  God speed Dave.  

GE-Raven

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2003, 07:15:02 am »
May God bless you and all families.  I begin a "new start" today as I marry the love of my life.  I hope life is as kind to you as you deserve.  You have always been a source of light on a sometimes dark sea.  For this I am very grateful.  

May the Lord bless and keep you.
May His light always shine upon you,
All the days of your life.

Amen.

GE-Raven

Sean Wolfe

(BTW on of my fiancee's best friends is in the St. Louis area.)  Perhaps if you PM'd me an e-mail address I could buy ya a beer sometime, or a frothed milk if you would prefer)

Rogue

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2003, 07:15:32 am »
Fair well and God's speed in life for you and your family. I thank you for the small joy that SFC has been and will continue to be.  

Pestalence

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2003, 10:31:03 am »
Godspeed David, it has been both a pleasure and an honor working with you on the SFC series. maybe you can still do work for Taldren via remote access... you know, work at home.. I mean it don't take that long to submit changes in to taldren, and heck, you know the code by heart and you already have the software...

maybe you can find the time when you get home to send in the OP fixes and finish SFC 3, unless someone else is going to step up and take over the Beta Team...

you will be sorely missed as a part of Taldren. and I for one, I hate to see you go as you are the one who allowed me to join the Beta Team back just after EAW came out...

For all you have done for us as a community and for just lending us your ear, I want to say Thank you. I'm not too far away from Missouri, and as such, I would really like to get hold of you as I still owe you 2 cases of beer... heck, let's make it a KEG.

Hope to see you online again soon... BTW, what will your screen name be? I know here you'll probably go by your regular name, but what about Window's messenger or Yahoo messenger?

Catch you later David...

jualdeaux

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2003, 10:34:17 am »
BTW David. Check my sig. I'll take up the torch.

RogueJedi_XC

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2003, 10:53:50 am »
David, I am very sorry to see you leaving Taldren. You have been a great asset to Taldren and this community. I wish you the best of luck in Missouri and hope you will still drop in around here on occasion.  I promise we won't bug you about patching OP anymore.  

Demandred

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2003, 11:08:44 am »
I'll miss seeing you around here. You've done done so much for us that we can't even begin to thank you. Good luck!

Komodo

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2003, 04:33:30 pm »
Good luck in your future endeavors Dave!

Remember this- no matter what happened over the course of your time at Taldren, you've had a hand in creating a wonderful game. Out of that, a community was created I'm proud to be associated with! Because of that, I've learned so much, and have had a memorable experience in the process. An experience I'm sure that could never have happened anywhere else. I thank you (and the rest of the Taldren crew, BTW) for not just bringing us a game, but something much greater that has grown from it.

May your path bring you prosperity and contentment!

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2003, 08:30:50 pm »
Because of all these posts offering support, I can't add anything new.

All I can say is, Thank You, and Good Luck

True_Sabre

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2003, 10:31:41 pm »
Dave , i've been playing since the EAW Demo was out.

You will be missed..      

Captain KoraH

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2003, 10:33:29 pm »
Thanks for all your hard work for the community Dave. Whoever replaces you will have some big shoes to fill. Take care my BSG loving friend!  

Walleye

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2003, 11:14:31 pm »
Thanks for everything you've done for us.

We will miss you.

These games will miss you.

Good luck to you wherever you land.

Rhaz

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2003, 09:07:34 am »
Fair winds at your back.

wanderer

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2003, 10:04:24 am »
While living the simple life, if you ever do get the itch, be sure to log in to whatever D2 campaign is going. We'd love to have ya.

Good luck to you, sir.

Oh, and go Tigers! They're 3-0, I do believe.

Maybe my Cal Bears will start winning a few games and we can meet in the Rose Bowl.  

Tirus

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2003, 10:28:31 am »
Dave...the very best of luck to you and your family. Thank you for working so hard for all of us.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Louis Cipher »

GGSP

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2003, 06:55:11 pm »
Dave;
        Sorry to see you go. While we have had differences over the years, including a few major ones recently (for which I again apologize) I wish to thank you for all your thankless work on the SFC series, and your attempts to make something you were finished with years ago work for a bunch of hotheaded loudmouths like myself.

I wish you and your family well and look forward to seeing your name on software in the near future.

DM is not the only one to be banned who bears you no ill will.

HAND!  

Tumulorum Fossor

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2003, 10:51:26 pm »
Man!  I don't visit the forum for 4 lousy days and this is what I miss?!?!

Dave, thanks for being such an active part in a piece of software that lets me relive my childhood.  When I play SFC, for  a short while, I'm a high school kid again, with not a care in the world and my imagination being my only limit.  SFC for me at various times has been a telephone party line, a cult classic movie, and a time machine all rolled up into one.  Thanks for being its caretaker.

Good luck to you in Missouri.  I look forward to hearing about your adventures out of So Cal.

Take care.

-Russ "Tumulorum Fossor" Khater

AdmiralFrey_XC

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2003, 10:40:03 am »
Dave,

May Freyr bless you with Peace, Prosperity, and Happiness.

Thank you for everything you've done.

fafrey@xenocorp.net

469-443-1777

Anytime.

And never forget, you'll ALWAYS have friends.

Here.

Regards, and best wishes.

Captain Ron

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2003, 11:10:03 am »
Good bye and thanks for all the fun we had here with you and this set of games.

Sorry you and your family could not stand it in OC, I live here and know exactly what you mean. I travel enough to see the differce in the other places in this country and hoe every year the LA area gets worse. I hate to see you live Taldren but  you are making the right choice Family must come first.

GAFY?

ActiveX

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2003, 12:02:01 pm »
Bye and thanks fer all the cheese  

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2003, 12:24:11 pm »
Good luck Dave. Thanks for all the hard work!

David Ferrell

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2003, 04:22:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts.  I will try and not be a stranger.

Dave

Fahrenheit

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2003, 05:27:18 pm »
Quote:

Godspeed, good sir!

Thanks for everything you've done here for us; we all hope you'll be dropping in to chat now and again.

Regards,

Richard K. Glover

Rondo_GE

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2003, 05:55:27 pm »
Farewell Sir,

I wish you the best of luck!

Ron Elsman  

Joey

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2003, 09:51:05 pm »
Dear Dave,Sir,I would like to add my "Well Wishes" to you and your Family on the occasion of your leaving Taldren. And,to say,that you'll be missed when you're gone and you were appreciated while you were here. However,just out of curiosity,Why didn't Southern California agree with you or your Family? I thought that the climate there was at least 90% sunshine and blue skyes and warm weather? A general answer will be sufficient since I don't wish to pry,just indulge my curiosity. Thank You,very much for your time,Sir. Joseph L. Rand.(RJLRand@aol.com)  

*EZKILL*

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2003, 02:31:07 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for your hard work and dedication. May God bless you and yours.

I'm sure to be following you out of this Godforsaken state, just not soon enough for my tastes

« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 02:32:31 pm by *EZKILL* »

David Ferrell

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2003, 05:49:31 pm »
Quote:

Dear Dave,Sir,I would like to add my "Well Wishes" to you and your Family on the occasion of your leaving Taldren. And,to say,that you'll be missed when you're gone and you were appreciated while you were here. However,just out of curiosity,Why didn't Southern California agree with you or your Family? I thought that the climate there was at least 90% sunshine and blue skyes and warm weather? A general answer will be sufficient since I don't wish to pry,just indulge my curiosity. Thank You,very much for your time,Sir. Joseph L. Rand.(RJLRand@aol.com)  

Way too crowded and too expensive.  That's a good start.

Thanks,

Dave

Jwest

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2003, 06:36:53 pm »
I won't say I'm *sorry* to see you move to someplace you and your family like better and enjoy more - Missouri is a beautiful area. But you've definitely been one of the many positive influences on a game I enjoy a great deal, and from that perspective I can wish California was more agreeable for you and your kin.

That said - Enjoy Missouri!  

C-Los

« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2003, 11:39:56 am »
THANK YOU !!!!

Oh BTW, your always welcome in Michigan TOO !!  

SSCF Hooch

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2003, 02:22:47 pm »
David,

I have never enjoyed a game like I have with these games you helped bring to life. Thank you!

Don't be a stranger around here!

You have fought the good fight here and we all owe you a debt of thanks...

Hooch

TOCXOBearslayer

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2003, 03:25:56 pm »
Quote:

David,

I have never enjoyed a game like I have with these games you helped bring to life. Thank you!

Hooch  

Have to agree with this.  Still the ONLY game I play.

Thank you again for all the good times, Dave.

David Ferrell

My last day at Taldren
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2003, 02:26:21 pm »

If we have unearned luck  

Sincerely,

David A Ferrell

Strafer

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2003, 02:36:03 pm »
Good travel to you and yours, and keep in touch! You will be remembered even if you don't but...

Toasty0

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2003, 02:36:34 pm »
David,

You let all of US know when you get settled in.

You can call me ( I think you have my number) or drop me an email any time!

Best,
Jerry  

vsfedwards

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2003, 02:47:45 pm »
Take care man, I know I never actually spoke to you on here, but I enjoyed reading your posts and you did a great job. I hope you find something better for yourself and your family, and good luck for the future.

Best wishes, Andy

FireSoul

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2003, 02:49:19 pm »
Good luck out there David.
Know that we're still playing the good games..

NannerSlug

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2003, 02:54:10 pm »
been gone all day and this happens. wow. talk about missing the boat. be well and stay in touch.

ActiveX

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2003, 02:56:44 pm »
May your journey be filled with discovery...and your destination with understanding...

TalonClaw

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2003, 02:59:20 pm »
  Holy COW!  Sad news.

Good luck and god bless you.  Thank you for all the hard work on getting SFC patched up.

Toasty0

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2003, 03:00:30 pm »
I sent this via PM, but thought it might help to post it too

You had better let us know that you and family are doing well.

Dang nabit, David, I feel aweful about this. Know that we are parting friends. I hope you've lined up something "back home" that will be as fullfilling as this experience.

Damnmit, I really don't know what to say except that I know that we'll miss you badly.

Best,
Jerry  

FormerDM

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2003, 03:04:27 pm »
Dave,

First and foremost, Good Luck. I wish you and your family well.

As for the banning of "Death Merchant", I've known him for a few years, and he tells me that it's no biggie...
I (oops, He) has no hard feelings, and hopes you feel the same.

Be Well,
DM

Corbomite

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2003, 03:07:48 pm »
Thank you for all your hard work. I wish you and your family well.

Maxillius

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2003, 03:12:14 pm »
Last day working at Taldren... hope you find something else to do that's worth your time and effort.

as for these forums...  keep coming  and may your successor be as generous as you were in maintaining a dialog with the community.

Good luck in the future!

dangadget

« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2003, 03:28:31 pm »
good luck and safe sojourn wherever you and yours go Dave.  

Mog

« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2003, 03:33:04 pm »
My thanks for all your work on these games we love, and I wish you well for the future.

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2003, 03:40:22 pm »
Doggon it.  This IS sad news for me.  I'll miss seeing David's posts here on the forum.  Everytime you see one of Dave's posts you know something great is happening with SFC.

I sent Dave an email back when the latest patch for OP came out.  I told him that even though he didn't really know me personally he had made a positive impact in my life.  And I ment it.  I have had so much fun with SFC over the last few years and his dedication to the patches for EAW and OP have been a huge part of that.

Dave, great job.  I hope this post makes your day again.

Good luck in your future endeavours.  

jualdeaux

« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2003, 03:44:46 pm »
Well, Dave, it has always been a pleasure to read your posts here. I've also appreciated all your work on the SFC series. Not many people have the tenacity to stick with a game for as long as you have. Good luck in all your future endeavours.

Captain Krenn

« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2003, 03:46:29 pm »
Man

Take care out there and make sure you let us know you're OK.

Missouri?  Wow, thats not that far away from Oklahoma.

CaptStumpy

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2003, 03:46:38 pm »
Good luck in your endeavors and thanks for all your work on OP.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2003, 04:10:36 pm »
Good luck and best wishes to you and your family in your future endeavours, Dave, and thank you very much for all your hard work on the SFC series.  I'm sure a lot of it went above-and-beyond the call of duty and for that, I'm personally very grateful.

JMM

« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2003, 04:15:10 pm »
Though I can understand your reasons for wanting to return to a better environment for your family, it is a sad day indeed for Taldren. You and Scott (and others I do not know) put in SO MUCH work for us, something very, very few game companies are willing to do after releasing a product.

I've heard similar tales from other people in regards to the environment in California, perhaps Taldren should move to to another state as well? Regardless, I wish you and your family a very safe trip to your new home and new job...

Just remember, if the employer wants references, just tell him of course, not only from work sites but also at Taldren forums, over 6,000 of them, hehehehehehe...

JM  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by JMM »

Sethan

« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2003, 04:31:46 pm »
David - you'll definitely be missed.

Fortunately, the Internet is big enough to reach even to Missouri.  Drop us a line here (or better still, stay involved in the community) when you get settled in.

S

NuclearWessels

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2003, 04:46:52 pm »
Best wishes for you and the family Dave,

and many many many thanks for all the hard work you've put in here - it really has been appreciated (even if it hasn't always looked that way )

dave

CptCastrin

« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2003, 05:19:46 pm »
I'm kind of in shock ...

Dave, I'm truely sorry to see you go. You have been as fervent an advocate of SFC as anyone ... nay more than anyone here. (including yours truely) The work you did to bring OP back to life and most of it on your own dime is a testament to your dedication and respove to leave nothing behind.

Through good and bad you prevailed. You lost your temper only when pushed to the absolute breaking point and yet even then maintained the respect of most still here. Your's will be a voice of Taldren that I will miss. Heck you ARE the voice of Taldren more than any in the company. This is a sad day of loss for them as well IMHO.

My hopes are that once your settled into your new home that you come here and give us a "hello world" so we know your safe and sound. I also hope that you and your family flurish and you find new things to challange yourself with. And finally I hope that you get a change to play this game that you had such a huge hand in keeping alive.

Good luck and cool breezes my friend.

TheSatyr

« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2003, 05:23:21 pm »
Dave,it's been a pleasure to have known you.

I wish you the best,you will be sorely missed here.

JayBee

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2003, 05:35:38 pm »
Do what is best for you and yours Dave, and thanks for all the time you put into scf.

SFC Bennie

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2003, 05:36:57 pm »
David, you were always courteous and professional in your dealings with me. Good luck to you and your family.

Scott Bennie  

Chris Jones

You will be missed.
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2003, 05:42:53 pm »
Dave -

I can relate. We all need to do things that agree with us. I thank you for the lifetime achievement award last April, and I thank you for your participation in the great PC game series called Starfleet Command. It has had a very positive impact on my life as well - leading me in lots of different directions.

Family first - That was the reason for my hiatus from here all summer..

Best of Luck!

Chris Jones
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Chris Jones »

Bossman

Re: You will be missed.
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2003, 05:57:16 pm »
Last day at Taldren, Dave?  HAH!  Don't be joking us.     You'll always a part of the Taldren team, no matter where you are or where you live, bud.  

Take care of the family and drop by once in a while to let us know how you're doing!  Here's wishing you and your family a good time when you guys have settled down.    

Reptor7

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2003, 06:01:53 pm »
Thanks for everything you've done, David. You've been the anchor in these forums, and your help and candor will be missed.  

Once you settle down, drop a line sometime.

Cya.  

Tremok

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2003, 06:12:34 pm »
 Unfortunate news (for us). I doubt Taldren and these boards will ever be the same without your presence.

Godspeed.    

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tremok »

TheShadow

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2003, 06:37:21 pm »
 Geez, Im awful sorry to hear this man. Good luck with the move. I know what a headache it is to pack up and move.

Let us know when you get there and how things are going with you and your's. God be with you.

TarMinyatur

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2003, 06:42:21 pm »
I hope things go well for you and your family. I can't thank you enough for all the effort you've put into this game and this forum. Any software with the Taldren name is an automatic purchase because of you.  

RazalYllib

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2003, 06:48:51 pm »
Total Shock!!

The world must be getting close to the end.....David is leaving Taldren. Total bummer

One good bright light in all of this, i am going to be a little selfish here, MO is just across the river, I'll have to track him down and give him the 6 pack  cold beverages that he so rightfully deserves for all the incredibley hard work he has done for US!

David will be missed.

Aldaron

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2003, 07:01:50 pm »
Hey Dave it's sad news.

Dont be a stranger and stay in touch, can always drop a post now and again

Rod O'neal

« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2003, 07:06:39 pm »
Good luck Dave. Your humanity will be missed around here. Whoever takes over from you here has some big shoes to fill  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2003, 07:13:12 pm »
Best wishes Dave, may your future be as successful as your endeavours have proved to date so far. Know you leave behind a legacy of not just a piece of software, but an entire community that has grown to revolve around it; a community you will always be part of. Thanks for all the hard work, and do stay in touch.

NCC2012

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2003, 08:27:12 pm »
Thanks for all the effort you put into the games and this board. You will be missed by all. Good luck on your future endeavors.  

Mentat Jon

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2003, 08:28:27 pm »
go easy Bro  

Dash Jones

« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2003, 08:58:56 pm »
Sorry to see you leave Taldren, trust you'll be back for their games though!

Always liked your sig.

Towelie

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2003, 09:20:48 pm »
  Really sorry to hear that. You've always been the most often heard voice from Taldren. I hope things improve for your family. Please, drop a post in every now and then and let us know how it's going.  

sincerely,
                                                                        Daniel G. Miller  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Towelie »

Harold Nez

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2003, 09:28:50 pm »
Good luck.  

BortaS

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2003, 09:29:33 pm »
It's the sign of a good man that puts his family first.  Too bad more don't follow that expample.  I know where I used to work the concept of family first was a forien idea to management.  This was the cause of my departure last month as well.  I fully understand the emotional hell it can cause.  

IndyShark

« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2003, 09:34:40 pm »
David, I am sorry to hear you are leaving! I have always enjoyed hearing from you and I always read your posts. I hope your move "home" is all that you hope it to be. Best of luck to you in Mo!

Don't be a stranger!  

Scrag

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2003, 09:44:50 pm »
Good Luck and take care.  

moofighters

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2003, 10:18:09 pm »
Can't let you go without one final word..

MOOOOOO!!!

Take care and have fun!!

SghnDubh

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2003, 11:25:49 pm »
Adios amigo. You will be missed.

Atrahasis

« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2003, 03:12:36 am »
Quote:

If we have unearned luck  

Sincerely,

David A Ferrell

Shakespeare? Midsummer Night's Dream I think.  

Have a good life in Missouri.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Atrahasis »

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2003, 05:07:22 am »
In the best maritime traditions... I wish you fair winds and following seas.  God speed Dave.  

GE-Raven

« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2003, 07:15:02 am »
May God bless you and all families.  I begin a "new start" today as I marry the love of my life.  I hope life is as kind to you as you deserve.  You have always been a source of light on a sometimes dark sea.  For this I am very grateful.  

May the Lord bless and keep you.
May His light always shine upon you,
All the days of your life.

Amen.

GE-Raven

Sean Wolfe

(BTW on of my fiancee's best friends is in the St. Louis area.)  Perhaps if you PM'd me an e-mail address I could buy ya a beer sometime, or a frothed milk if you would prefer)

Rogue

« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2003, 07:15:32 am »
Fair well and God's speed in life for you and your family. I thank you for the small joy that SFC has been and will continue to be.  

Pestalence

« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2003, 10:31:03 am »
Godspeed David, it has been both a pleasure and an honor working with you on the SFC series. maybe you can still do work for Taldren via remote access... you know, work at home.. I mean it don't take that long to submit changes in to taldren, and heck, you know the code by heart and you already have the software...

maybe you can find the time when you get home to send in the OP fixes and finish SFC 3, unless someone else is going to step up and take over the Beta Team...

you will be sorely missed as a part of Taldren. and I for one, I hate to see you go as you are the one who allowed me to join the Beta Team back just after EAW came out...

For all you have done for us as a community and for just lending us your ear, I want to say Thank you. I'm not too far away from Missouri, and as such, I would really like to get hold of you as I still owe you 2 cases of beer... heck, let's make it a KEG.

Hope to see you online again soon... BTW, what will your screen name be? I know here you'll probably go by your regular name, but what about Window's messenger or Yahoo messenger?

Catch you later David...

jualdeaux

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2003, 10:34:17 am »
BTW David. Check my sig. I'll take up the torch.

RogueJedi_XC

« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2003, 10:53:50 am »
David, I am very sorry to see you leaving Taldren. You have been a great asset to Taldren and this community. I wish you the best of luck in Missouri and hope you will still drop in around here on occasion.  I promise we won't bug you about patching OP anymore.  

Demandred

« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2003, 11:08:44 am »
I'll miss seeing you around here. You've done done so much for us that we can't even begin to thank you. Good luck!

Komodo

« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2003, 04:33:30 pm »
Good luck in your future endeavors Dave!

Remember this- no matter what happened over the course of your time at Taldren, you've had a hand in creating a wonderful game. Out of that, a community was created I'm proud to be associated with! Because of that, I've learned so much, and have had a memorable experience in the process. An experience I'm sure that could never have happened anywhere else. I thank you (and the rest of the Taldren crew, BTW) for not just bringing us a game, but something much greater that has grown from it.

May your path bring you prosperity and contentment!

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2003, 08:30:50 pm »
Because of all these posts offering support, I can't add anything new.

All I can say is, Thank You, and Good Luck

True_Sabre

« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2003, 10:31:41 pm »
Dave , i've been playing since the EAW Demo was out.

You will be missed..      

Captain KoraH

« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2003, 10:33:29 pm »
Thanks for all your hard work for the community Dave. Whoever replaces you will have some big shoes to fill. Take care my BSG loving friend!  

Walleye

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2003, 11:14:31 pm »
Thanks for everything you've done for us.

We will miss you.

These games will miss you.

Good luck to you wherever you land.

Rhaz

« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2003, 09:07:34 am »
Fair winds at your back.

wanderer

« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2003, 10:04:24 am »
While living the simple life, if you ever do get the itch, be sure to log in to whatever D2 campaign is going. We'd love to have ya.

Good luck to you, sir.

Oh, and go Tigers! They're 3-0, I do believe.

Maybe my Cal Bears will start winning a few games and we can meet in the Rose Bowl.  

Tirus

« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2003, 10:28:31 am »
Dave...the very best of luck to you and your family. Thank you for working so hard for all of us.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Louis Cipher »

GGSP

« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2003, 06:55:11 pm »
Dave;
        Sorry to see you go. While we have had differences over the years, including a few major ones recently (for which I again apologize) I wish to thank you for all your thankless work on the SFC series, and your attempts to make something you were finished with years ago work for a bunch of hotheaded loudmouths like myself.

I wish you and your family well and look forward to seeing your name on software in the near future.

DM is not the only one to be banned who bears you no ill will.

HAND!  

Tumulorum Fossor

« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2003, 10:51:26 pm »
Man!  I don't visit the forum for 4 lousy days and this is what I miss?!?!

Dave, thanks for being such an active part in a piece of software that lets me relive my childhood.  When I play SFC, for  a short while, I'm a high school kid again, with not a care in the world and my imagination being my only limit.  SFC for me at various times has been a telephone party line, a cult classic movie, and a time machine all rolled up into one.  Thanks for being its caretaker.

Good luck to you in Missouri.  I look forward to hearing about your adventures out of So Cal.

Take care.

-Russ "Tumulorum Fossor" Khater

AdmiralFrey_XC

« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2003, 10:40:03 am »
Dave,

May Freyr bless you with Peace, Prosperity, and Happiness.

Thank you for everything you've done.

fafrey@xenocorp.net

469-443-1777

Anytime.

And never forget, you'll ALWAYS have friends.

Here.

Regards, and best wishes.

Captain Ron

« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2003, 11:10:03 am »
Good bye and thanks for all the fun we had here with you and this set of games.

Sorry you and your family could not stand it in OC, I live here and know exactly what you mean. I travel enough to see the differce in the other places in this country and hoe every year the LA area gets worse. I hate to see you live Taldren but  you are making the right choice Family must come first.

GAFY?

ActiveX

« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2003, 12:02:01 pm »
Bye and thanks fer all the cheese  

« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2003, 12:24:11 pm »
Good luck Dave. Thanks for all the hard work!

David Ferrell

« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2003, 04:22:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts.  I will try and not be a stranger.

Dave

Fahrenheit

« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2003, 05:27:18 pm »
Quote:

Godspeed, good sir!

Thanks for everything you've done here for us; we all hope you'll be dropping in to chat now and again.

Regards,

Richard K. Glover

Rondo_GE

« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2003, 05:55:27 pm »
Farewell Sir,

I wish you the best of luck!

Ron Elsman  

Joey

« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2003, 09:51:05 pm »

*EZKILL*

« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2003, 02:31:07 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for your hard work and dedication. May God bless you and yours.

I'm sure to be following you out of this Godforsaken state, just not soon enough for my tastes

« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 02:32:31 pm by *EZKILL* »

David Ferrell

« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2003, 05:49:31 pm »
Quote:

Way too crowded and too expensive.  That's a good start.

Thanks,

Dave

Jwest

« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2003, 06:36:53 pm »
I won't say I'm *sorry* to see you move to someplace you and your family like better and enjoy more - Missouri is a beautiful area. But you've definitely been one of the many positive influences on a game I enjoy a great deal, and from that perspective I can wish California was more agreeable for you and your kin.

That said - Enjoy Missouri!  

C-Los

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2003, 11:39:56 am »
THANK YOU !!!!

Oh BTW, your always welcome in Michigan TOO !!  

SSCF Hooch

« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2003, 02:22:47 pm »
David,

Hooch

TOCXOBearslayer

« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2003, 03:25:56 pm »
Quote:

David,

Hooch  

Have to agree with this.  Still the ONLY game I play.

Thank you again for all the good times, Dave.