Topic: TOS Tholian Web Mission Script idea  (Read 5025 times)

Klingon Fanatic

TOS Tholian Web Mission Script idea
« on: September 22, 2003, 05:45:15 pm »
Greetings mighty script writers.

I had an idea for an alternate SFC:OP mission script LOOSELY based on the TOS episode "The Tholian Web".

Its basically a rescue Captain Kirk mission right? The boarding party beams over to investigate the ghostly TOS USS Defiant, the Enterprise is unable to recover everyone except the captain.

True, SFC: OP doesn't have the Tholian web but what about using the engine power loss anomaly? Maybe have the Tholian Patrol Corvettes start at a far distance  move in at a slow rate of speed and you have to race against time to save the captain and the Enterprise while you are underpowered (start up damaged?).

Also is there a way to script a mission so that a TOS Constitution would "phase in and out" via a cloaking device perhaps on some kind of timer setting?

This would be neat to play using TOS Enterprise and the damaged Constellation (Renamed to USS Defiant). Admittedly, I will insert TMP era ships, and others will want to use Pre-TOS/TNG and even post TNG ships, LOL

Any takers?

KF

Karnak

Re: TOS Tholian Web Mission Script idea
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 01:35:01 pm »
Quote:

Greetings mighty script writers.

I had an idea for an alternate SFC:OP mission script LOOSELY based on the TOS episode "The Tholian Web".

Its basically a rescue Captain Kirk mission right? The boarding party beams over to investigate the ghostly TOS USS Defiant, the Enterprise is unable to recover everyone except the captain.

True, SFC: OP doesn't have the Tholian web but what about using the engine power loss anomaly? Maybe have the Tholian Patrol Corvettes start at a far distance  move in at a slow rate of speed and you have to race against time to save the captain and the Enterprise while you are underpowered (start up damaged?).

The speeds of the AI can be controlled at set time intervals.  

In fact, if we are able to capture the weapon's hit event of a pre-defined weapon then we could lower the ship's speed accordingly for a set time (ie. Tholian web effect). Have not investigated this thoroughly yet.

Quote:

Also is there a way to script a mission so that a TOS Constitution would "phase in and out" via a cloaking device perhaps on some kind of timer setting?

The AI's cloaking device can be turned on and off at set time intervals.
Quote:

This would be neat to play using TOS Enterprise and the damaged Constellation (Renamed to USS Defiant). Admittedly, I will insert TMP era ships, and others will want to use Pre-TOS/TNG and even post TNG ships, LOL

Any takers?

KF  

I'll put it on my queue.  Right now, I'm busy with another dyna.  But, if I get involved in a campaign that uses Tholians then I'll definitely try it out.    

BTW, check out the new Star Trek novel "The Sundered".  It's the most comprehensive novel on the Tholians yet and has direct canon tie-ins to the TOS episode "The Tholian Web" and Star Trek Star Charts Atlas that place the Tholians past the Cardies in the Alpha Quadrant instead of in the Beta Quadrant sandwiched between the Klinks and Roms. The novel is all about Tholians and quite a good read.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Karnak »

Sirgod

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 10:19:29 pm »

Quote:

BTW, check out the new Star Trek novel "The Sundered". It's the most comprehensive novel on the Tholians yet and has direct canon tie-ins to the TOS episode "The Tholian Web" and Star Trek Star Charts Atlas that place the Tholians past the Cardies in the Alpha Quadrant instead of in the Beta Quadrant sandwiched between the Klinks and Roms. The novel is all about Tholians and quite a good read.    

I read that and the Seprpents amongst the Ruins a few weeks ago. And you are 100% correct. Excelent book.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 07:42:10 am »
Well now that we have the "Galaxies At War" Tholians that were from Klingon Academy, it would be really cool to have some missions that have Tholians in them.

The entire Klingon Academy HIGH Poly Tholians converted by DarkMatrix are up at Starfleetuniverse. Do a SEARCH for 'Klingon Academy Tholians' there. There are a few kitbashes by Terradyne and my KA Style retextures of Hollis J. Wood's Tholians as well.

Here: http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~sfc/files/pafiledb.php?action=category&id=1&start=0&sortby=name

KA Tholian info: http://www.3dactionplanet.com/klingonacademy/archive/kanews/tholian/index.html
Qapla!

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 04:12:14 am »
I had designed an algorithm for simulating Tholian webcasters in a mission. I need a good tholian web model however.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 05:55:16 am »
Quote:

I had designed an algorithm for simulating Tholian webcasters in a mission. I need a good tholian web model however.  

Is there something you can use as a substitute? If you post what you are looking for, the model makers can come up with something. It seems to me that there is a Mod file at STMODDIRECTORY that MAY have a .SOD of a KA Tholian web? I couldn't convert it. A Possible , temporary, substitute might be Khaliban's Fesarius (TMP or TNG)?

Qapla!

KF

atheorhaven

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 08:58:52 pm »
I may be able to convert the Tholian Web .SOD to see how it's constructed, and then try to create a similar thing for SFC so we have no problems with the Armada crowd (unless we want to directly just get permission to convert over the .SOD and use it)..

Potemkin

Re: TOS Tholian Web Mission Model
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 11:37:42 pm »
Tracey, did you ever get a good Tholian Model?

Po~

atheorhaven

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2003, 11:58:40 pm »
I've completed a basic one.. but it'd sure help to see that Tholian Web .SOD to see how it was constructed.  Right now, I'm not sure if this'll even appear as anything other than a big green webbed sphere-ish thing in space with nothing being visible through it inside or out.

And more to the point.. kind of curious as to how we're going to enclose a player model inside the silly thing.  

Potemkin

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 12:11:34 am »
It was a difficult task to put a hostile ship in a web in SFB.  The Tholians used the web as a net around base stations and such.  It would catch the ships trying to get through.  

Assualting these places were both time consuming and difficult.  Someone once compared it to peeling an onion.  The closer you got to the center, the more intense it became.

Web Caster, on the other hand, is a different animal.  And I have no idea how you could put that into the game - it would be as difficult as the Andromedan Displacement Device - I suppose.

In any case - keep working on it!

Po~  

Rhaz

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2003, 11:45:17 am »
I bet it's hard-coded, but it would be cool to use the shield.mod as the basis for ships trapped in a web - but since there is only one shield.mod file....

Rhaz

atheorhaven

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 01:15:07 am »
Well, when I do have it ready for this, I also snuck in another one that we'll need.  Does anyone want it?  Anyone?  

If noone wants it, then I'll just play with it in my game, by myself.. no biggie..

But if someone has that Tholian Web .SOD, I'd sure appreciate seeing it to see how it's put together..

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 12:23:10 pm »
Well done Atheorhaven! That TOS USS DEFIANT looks positively SPOOKY! Nice job on the Ghost ship.

Its driving me nuts that I can't find that Tholian Web .SOD at STMODDIRECTORY!

Qapla!

KF

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 02:50:25 pm »
I was thinking that maybe we could change the Plasma E graphic to look like the web stream somehow.

these pics are from the KA website:

Cool thing is now we have all the models for these reference screenshots to be reproduced in SFC:OP if Tracey G.'s trick works.

Qapla!

KF

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 03:14:24 pm »
I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!

The original Tholian web .SOD file I mentioned earlier  is at this site under the Klingon Academy Conversion for ST: Armada I

http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/afc/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=21&min=30&orderby=titleA&show=10#cat

BTW: You have to join and go to page 4 of ST: Armada MODS. I know the SOD is in version 1 , I am d/l version 2 now.

Qapla!

KF

« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 04:22:41 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

Potemkin

TOS Tholian Web Mission - That looks great!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2003, 11:27:01 pm »
But what I really want to see is the

ANDOMEDANS!

Po~