Topic: Shipedit/Shiplist (SFC2)  (Read 5881 times)

lleggs

Shipedit/Shiplist (SFC2)
« on: January 18, 2003, 01:36:15 am »
Hey, anybody here familiar with Shipedit?  I can add the new mod ships just fine, but i cant get a custom name to appear.  On the ship selection screen, it shows something like NCL - ???  <---- the ??? is supposed to be the name, like NCL - New Light Cruiser. Anyway, does anybody know what's causing this? I'm patched to 2036 (i think that's right) If you know how to fix it straight from the txt file, that'll do also  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2003, 01:37:29 am by lleggs »

Rod O'neal

Re: Shipedit/Shiplist (SFC2)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 02:02:52 am »
there are two .txt files you need to edit manually to get rid of all the ??? Strings and shipnames. The "ship descriptions" and "refits" are in the strings file. The ship's name is in, you guessed it, shipnames    Look at these files and see if you can make sense of it. It's not hard to do, but takes a bit of typing to explain. If after looking at the files you still need an explaination, let me know. Good Luck

lleggs

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 02:07:18 am »
thanks Rod, I'll look at it tomorrow and let u know, it's after 3 am here and im afraid I'll really screw something up.

lleggs

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2003, 12:18:06 pm »
hmm, i checked the files and each letter is separated by a square, weird, but any way around that? I opened in word and wordpad, same for both.

Pharoah

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 12:37:36 pm »
I have the same problem. Its even wierder. When I opened a copy of the strings.txt file the first time, it read normally, I could edit it fine, everything seemd ok. When I came back to it later, it had each letter seperated like you are seeing. You can't edit it when it looks like that, just doesnt work.

So, eventually I reinstalled the game. This was after I wiped my hard drive clean. Guess what I saw the first time I opened the strings file? Yup, each letter seperated by squares.

Anyone have any ideas at all?  

lleggs

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2003, 12:59:18 pm »
Hmm, interesting, now that you mention it, i do remember looking at the file before, just browsing around (didnt know what i was doing) but then i opened it yesterday, it was infested by squares like yours. I just formatted last weekend, so im not doing it again and yes, editting with those squares just isnt a reality.

3dot14

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2003, 06:24:49 pm »

lleggs

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2003, 07:48:41 pm »
  Great, thanks alot!! That hit the spot. It explained everything, hehe.  It took me a minute to figure out how to edit strings.txt, but I got it.  I appreciate it. thanks    

Rod O'neal

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2003, 08:14:14 pm »
Glad to see you got it. I'm lucky, word and notepad both open and edit mine fine, and always have. Although I've sent copies to folks who have had the same problem you did. Maybe it's cause I use XP. I'm not sure. All's well that ends well, though  

Strafer

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 02:15:00 pm »
Notepad in XP does Unicode. The black bars are unicode characters tthat older notepads don't support.

lleggs

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 02:34:22 pm »
might explain why my Win98 couldnt read it

DonKarnage

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2003, 10:34:49 pm »
well for that i use excel and its fine cause world pad is not good for that like you have seen the square apear and some text are weird.