Topic: TOS The Ultimate Computer Script Idea  (Read 4211 times)

Klingon Fanatic

TOS The Ultimate Computer Script Idea
« on: October 05, 2003, 12:10:53 pm »
OK, how hard can this be?

Part one you have the USS Enterprise (insert favorite choice here) destroy a Woden class ORE freighter (by Atrahasis)

Part 2 you have the Excalibur, Lexington and Potempkin Constitution Classes close in for war games that turns lethal. Maybe have the script go through 2 sets of stats (low War game stats) and then Cycle through to the REAL stats.

Part 3 Maybe have the ship's engineer [SFC mechanic mind you] disconnect the M-5 computer and you have to go to Green alert to save the ship...

Doing this in SKIRMISH mode is unsatisfying.... 3 FCAs against 1 FCA usually doesn't end up too good IMHO,  LOL.

Qapla!

KF

FPF_TraceyG

Re: TOS The Ultimate Computer Script Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 04:34:31 pm »
Give the single CA Legendary Officers, we know from experience this introduces a game bug that gives the ship double weapons fire and changes the firing resolution probabilities so you hit the target as if much closer. It works for the AI, hasn't been tried with a player ship though. The above is the reason why all Legendary Officers are no longer used in mission scripts for D2, by the way.

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 11:34:57 am »
A bit of nitpicking here.  It was actually 4 Connies that went up against the Enterprise, the Hood being the 4th ship.  And in the initial exchange of fire, the Enterprise caught the fleet with thier pants down, so maybe until you open fire have the 4 ships set to yellow alert.  One more thing, according to SFC at least, the Excalibur and Lexington are both CCs.  Now since both ships are damaged, one almost destroyed in the battle, you could make the claim that they were refitted following the battle, as a cover for their repairs.   The last thing the Federation public would have wanted to hear was the loss of a Starship and more than 500 (taking into account those killed on the Lexington as well) casualties in a wargame, the starships could be covered up publicly by simply claiming that they were being refitted to a stronger design to counter (whoever Starfleet wanted the public angry at that week) aggression.  The people killed would have had to have been "shifted around" so that they were "killed" in the next couple of months.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 11:41:25 am »
Quote:

Give the single CA Legendary Officers, we know from experience this introduces a game bug that gives the ship double weapons fire and changes the firing resolution probabilities so you hit the target as if much closer. It works for the AI, hasn't been tried with a player ship though. The above is the reason why all Legendary Officers are no longer used in mission scripts for D2, by the way.  

Tracey,

Please explain how to do that by-the-numbers? I think I can do that in SFC1 and SFC3 but I have no idea how to do that in OP.

Lieutenant Q,

You are right, thank you for the correction. I like the additional food for thought over the ship and crew losses.

Qapla!

KF
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 11:43:35 am by Klingon Fanatic »

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 11:53:48 pm »
The AI Officers on board a ship have a rank. This rank can be set to anything from 'Rookie' to 'Legendary' from within a mission a script. The ranks are exactly the same as they appeared in SFC1, and this can be done in both EAW and OP. In actual use though, it was found that in setting the Weapons Officer to a rank Legendary, for instance, said ship would fire all of its weapon twice, and often with range modifiers that appeared to be calculated as if the ship was much closer. Imagine squaring off against a F-CLC and being hit by eight proximity photon torpedoes at range 25, knocking out your front shield, followed up by a volley of phaser fire on bare hull that knocks out half your weapons systems. Its even worse if the ship has plasma weapons. Legendary Officers also give you a free HET, doubles your shuttle launch rate, gives you a free ECM bonus and so on. In retrospect, much othe above is inline with SFB legendary officers (a weapons officer gets a +1 on the die roll in their favour for instance), but it would seem that Taldren removed this aspect of the game in SFC2 because either it wasnt finished yet, or was seen as too unbalancing. The above was discovered by accident as being hidden within the Mission Scripting API code.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 04:27:24 pm »
Quote:

The AI Officers on board a ship have a rank. This rank can be set to anything from 'Rookie' to 'Legendary' from within a mission a script. The ranks are exactly the same as they appeared in SFC1, and this can be done in both EAW and OP. In actual use though, it was found that in setting the Weapons Officer to a rank Legendary, for instance, said ship would fire all of its weapon twice, and often with range modifiers that appeared to be calculated as if the ship was much closer. Imagine squaring off against a F-CLC and being hit by eight proximity photon torpedoes at range 25, knocking out your front shield, followed up by a volley of phaser fire on bare hull that knocks out half your weapons systems. Its even worse if the ship has plasma weapons. Legendary Officers also give you a free HET, doubles your shuttle launch rate, gives you a free ECM bonus and so on. In retrospect, much othe above is inline with SFB legendary officers (a weapons officer gets a +1 on the die roll in their favour for instance), but it would seem that Taldren removed this aspect of the game in SFC2 because either it wasnt finished yet, or was seen as too unbalancing. The above was discovered by accident as being hidden within the Mission Scripting API code.  

OK, I feel incredibly STUPID, lol. So I am correct, unless you can script missions, forget about doing this for SFC: OP?

I dont read anything like go into the campaign setting and where you up the starting prestige change the  X value to Y... Seems like a lot of trouble for one skirmish mission. Maybe a generic one could be scripted where the PLAYER ship could be variable and possibly the opposition. It would be fun to play a Gorn/Romulan/Hydran version of THE ULTIMATE COMPUTER skirmish or even campaign don't you think?

Qapla!

KF

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 04:33:13 pm »
BUMP for news. Anybody working on this?

KF

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 07:04:20 pm »
BUMP

Don't any of you scripting gurus think this is easy compared to some of the other script/mission requests?

Qapla!

KF

Karnak

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 08:49:56 am »
Klingon Fanatic,

I really hate to rain on your parade but there really are not that many active scripters coding anymore.  I personally know of 2 expert scripting gurus from the GFL and SFCx.org  in addition to myself that are  doing little to no OP/EAW coding right now.  SFC3 is not that much better off with only Pelican having produced anything and I'm about the only one that potentially has anything in the pipe.

Maybe, the situation will change in the future, but for now that's the situation.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Karnak »

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 08:53:31 pm »
Thank you Karnak.

You have confirmed what I already believed to be true.

Please let us know when you have your own scripts ready. I would love to play them.

Qapla!

KF

Karnak

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 07:58:16 am »
You can find the EEK v2.0 combat mission packs for both OP and EAW in the files  download mirrors  of the following websites:

SFC2:OP Missions
www.sfcx.org - EEK v2.0 for OP
www.starfleetuniverse.com - EEK v2.0 for OP

SFC2:EAW  Missions
www.sfcx.org - EEK v2.0 for EAW
www.starfleetuniverse.com - EEK v2.0 for EAW

Mission Specifications for the combat missions can be found here:
 EEK Mission Specifications

Have fun and enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Karnak »