Topic: More info  (Read 943 times)

DreadlordGW

More info
« on: October 10, 2003, 08:30:59 pm »
From ADMIN:

Hello all,

We had a bit of a glitch with the forum earlier, as mentioned in Ann's "Off Topic Forum" thread. We lost both that forum, the Black9 General forum, and the SFC Fan Fiction forum temporarily -- all three should be back up and if anything else is missing please send me a PM. Basically they disappeared due to known bugs with this version of ubb.

Before (and probably during) the crash someone with mod priveleges locked a great number of threads in the OT forum without consulting the admins -- in fact we didn't even know it was happening until everything was locked and complaints were being made. The sad (or maybe not) truth is that we don't monitor the forum every hour of every day, because we have a lot of other work to do. I was in the middle of investigating the lockage when the forums went down. Now that everything is back up I have gone back into the threads and unlocked them -- if you believe you have a thread that has remained locked and shouldn't be, chances are I just overlooked it, since in the admin records we didn't get the actual names of the threads that were locked in the first place, just the numbers. If you believe your thread should be unlocked, please send me a PM and I'll take a look at it.

Additionally, there seems to have been some confusion and/or miscommunication with regard to why the threads were locked in the first place. There was a statement made by Ann about "controversial topics", but in a number of cases it was taken out of context -- perhaps there was a miscommunication on our part, perhaps something just got pulled into the rumor mill, at this point it doesn't really matter. The bottom line is:

You can talk about race, religion, or politics if you do it in a civil manner and don't go out of your way to offend the other users of the forum. If you DO offend them, be polite and apologize. Certain topics will get shut down if they are in the extreme of offensive material/language; basically if you post something intending to cause trouble, knowing it will cause trouble, the thread will be deleted and there will be repercussions.

Once again, discussing race/religion/politics is FINE and even encouraged so long as it follows the guidelines for peaceful coexistence of all forum users. We never intended to convey otherwise and regret that our intents seem to have been miscommunicated.

Thanks for reading.  

DreadlordGW

More info
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 08:30:59 pm »
From ADMIN:

Hello all,

We had a bit of a glitch with the forum earlier, as mentioned in Ann's "Off Topic Forum" thread. We lost both that forum, the Black9 General forum, and the SFC Fan Fiction forum temporarily -- all three should be back up and if anything else is missing please send me a PM. Basically they disappeared due to known bugs with this version of ubb.

Before (and probably during) the crash someone with mod priveleges locked a great number of threads in the OT forum without consulting the admins -- in fact we didn't even know it was happening until everything was locked and complaints were being made. The sad (or maybe not) truth is that we don't monitor the forum every hour of every day, because we have a lot of other work to do. I was in the middle of investigating the lockage when the forums went down. Now that everything is back up I have gone back into the threads and unlocked them -- if you believe you have a thread that has remained locked and shouldn't be, chances are I just overlooked it, since in the admin records we didn't get the actual names of the threads that were locked in the first place, just the numbers. If you believe your thread should be unlocked, please send me a PM and I'll take a look at it.

Additionally, there seems to have been some confusion and/or miscommunication with regard to why the threads were locked in the first place. There was a statement made by Ann about "controversial topics", but in a number of cases it was taken out of context -- perhaps there was a miscommunication on our part, perhaps something just got pulled into the rumor mill, at this point it doesn't really matter. The bottom line is:

You can talk about race, religion, or politics if you do it in a civil manner and don't go out of your way to offend the other users of the forum. If you DO offend them, be polite and apologize. Certain topics will get shut down if they are in the extreme of offensive material/language; basically if you post something intending to cause trouble, knowing it will cause trouble, the thread will be deleted and there will be repercussions.

Once again, discussing race/religion/politics is FINE and even encouraged so long as it follows the guidelines for peaceful coexistence of all forum users. We never intended to convey otherwise and regret that our intents seem to have been miscommunicated.

Thanks for reading.