Topic: you have no idea how much I hate windows  (Read 3816 times)

zaniwhoop2

Re: you have no idea how much I hate windows
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2003, 07:33:27 pm »
I second that.  

Pestalence

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2003, 08:00:34 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I found your problem.

Seriously, my sister's comp is running ME and it's the biggest sh*tbox I've ever seen.  3.1 is more stable than that pile of bug ware.  (I'm proving that now, I have an old 386 running 3.1 that runs for days without even an error )  You should REALLY consider getting XP.  You'll notice a 20% increase in the performance of your kit AND XP allows you to micromanage the crap out of your machine  

I've thought about it, but XP home is a waste of money, and pro is more money than I'll be able to afford, since my money is being diverted to pay for a new iBook (at least, that's the goal).  I've tried a copy of win2k pro I have, and lost boku info on my computer when it crashed it.  
It's a great suggestion, and you're right, but need the money for other things.
CK  

Umm.. the only difference between XP Home and XP Pro is that pro has server capability built in that allows you to work a network from that machine.. home would be the user end, pro is the administrator end.. that is the only difference...

now if you are just running a gaming machine or even a SFC D2 server, Home edition will do that without error, even under SQL..

now if you really want a goo XP version.. Microsoft's Windows XP media Center Edition 2004

now that is only used on a custom built machine by OEM's that has TV Tuner with TIVO and VCR capabilities (and TV show to DVD burning capability.. think HBO, then think how much store bought movie DVD's cost).. Remote controlled from across the room... the features that are remote controlled on MCE 2004 is :

Solitare,
TV Tuner
Tivo Functions
Recorded TV
Playback Recorded TV
Media Player 9
DVD
Media Guide for TV Tuner
My Pictures
Slideshow

plus 4 customizable buttons for apps of your choice

MCE machines also come with MySonic DVD creation software so you can convert MCE recorded TV to DVD format and make your own TV shows into DVD...

i own one and I won't buy another PC without MCE 2004 on it... so until Alienware or Toshiba build one with the Geforce FX GO5600 GPU with 128 MB DDR Vid ram and the 3.2 GHZ Desktop Pentium IV with HT and 512 2nd Level Caching in a laptop with at least 1 gig PC 2700 system memory... then I'm not buying another laptop...

BTW.. Alienware Area-51 Mobile has these components.. but they don't have a TV Tuner Card for the Area 51-M so it does not have MCE 2004, only XP Pro.. which to me is not wnought for me to buy the machine.. but it is very tempting...

XP is XP, all pro does is utilize networking server capabilities built into XP where Home Edition is designed to be a slave unit.. MCE needs some of the server capabilities in Pro, but Pro can not be upgraded to MCE 2004, only upgraded to MCE 2002 (v1.0) via MSDN Universal Subscription (Meaning costing money for subscription)...
the limitation on upgrade is due to key registry strings and codec's missing that are needed for 2004 upgrade.. currently the MCE 2004 upgrade is only available for MCE 2002 Full Install Version only... or MCE 2004 can be purchased in an entire new machine from a MCE supporting OEM...

just my $.02.. I'm on the Windows XP newsgroups and in the MSDN subscriptions as well... i have several places that I get my info for Windows.. not because i like Windows, but to learn different hacks in order to make Windows work the way I want it to..

ME is easy to hack and change just in the registry settings.. you just have to search for what you want and be willing to back up your HD constantly in order to correct mistakes you make... but at least with backups, you lose nothing up to the last good change you saved... plus you can give ME back True Dos Mode with a small 3rd party patch that I can give an address for by Email, which in itself improves ME's stability by at least 20%.

anyhow.. thanks for listening..

Pestalence

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2003, 08:14:32 pm »
Also with Dial-Up problems.. you may want to get Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 6 build 181 Spyware detection / elimination software... sounds like your system went to a site that used an active x control that installed a hidden dialer on your system that is force connecting...

Ad-Aware 6 will detect about 99% of those type of programs and eliminate them....

also Spybot Search and Destroy will eliminate those thigs as well

and finally a program called HackThis will scan for invalid entries and start-up programs that you can select independantly and have hackThis remove them or fix them.. works very well for IE 6 problems, especially in the registry settings...

also a good registry cleaner would be good after running 1 or all of these 3 programs to clean up things that are not detected.. I recommend RegScrub and Registry Cleaner...

all of these used 1 day a week will keep your machine clean of spyware and dialer programs and keep your IE working correctly.

hope that this helps...

Clark Kent

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2003, 11:02:18 pm »
Quote:

Also with Dial-Up problems.. you may want to get Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 6 build 181 Spyware detection / elimination software... sounds like your system went to a site that used an active x control that installed a hidden dialer on your system that is force connecting...

Ad-Aware 6 will detect about 99% of those type of programs and eliminate them....

also Spybot Search and Destroy will eliminate those thigs as well

and finally a program called HackThis will scan for invalid entries and start-up programs that you can select independantly and have hackThis remove them or fix them.. works very well for IE 6 problems, especially in the registry settings...

also a good registry cleaner would be good after running 1 or all of these 3 programs to clean up things that are not detected.. I recommend RegScrub and Registry Cleaner...

all of these used 1 day a week will keep your machine clean of spyware and dialer programs and keep your IE working correctly.

hope that this helps...

Much info, and most of it over my head- I never got that into windows that I ever hacked it.  As for server capabilities, that's something that I want with my PC.  May sound odd, but I want to network my macs through my PC.  As for all these third party programs et al, it will take me a while to track them all down and figure them out.  I did install McAfee virus scan, and updated it, and so far, have found no viruses, but did get a couple of messages suggesting damaged system and other files.  
On a side note, I find it dissapointing that I should need to add so much extra crap to my system just to keep it clean and working properly. Sounds like I'll need more memory to run it all, seeing as my system is already eating up the lionshare of the 384 megs I have already built in.   My web usage is fairly limited- email, news SFC, Warbirds, Targetware (both flight sims), and that about sums it up.  I don't go to any "seedy" sites, really and it's a sore disapointment that i just simply can't get the stupid thing to do what I want it to without becoming a windows expert.  Odds are, with the new mac my windows web time will be limited to SFC alone, the rest will be handled in another fashion.
Back on topic, thank you for all the helpful advice, I hope I can use it well, and return the favor in some way someday,
CK