Topic: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread  (Read 22839 times)

Captain KoraH

Re: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2003, 09:36:57 pm »
I've got a lot of experience converting SFC2 ships to SFC3. If you need any help or assistance please let me know.

We've got ships, we've got sounds, we've even got a home page. Now all we need are some custom missions!

Towelie

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2003, 09:48:23 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The First Federation was a giant sphere (yes, I'm home early).  

Yeah, you're right. The Fesarius was a huge spherical ship. It was the First Federation Marker buoys that were cubes.

I_Mudd.  

I just realized what you were trying to do when I read about your animated textures. Your right though. Now if only we could get some animated textures in SFC3. I think this was something that nobody really thought about untill now. Animated textures would make it so much more interesting, especially when it comes to damage textures.

Towelie

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2003, 09:52:24 pm »

Good to hear, I will be reviewing these and getting some practice at it. I think I got too many ships now. I even got battleships for all, if needed.

On average, how long did it take for you to convert a model over? I am about to find out.

SghnDubh

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2003, 07:26:58 pm »
Bump....Sticky?

Captain KoraH

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2003, 08:23:05 pm »
Once I set up my "assembly line" for ship conversion, I could do 9 ships a day incluing everything. That included:

1. Eliminate all LOD models.
2. Check the model for hardpoint locations.
3. Check the model for damage point naming (SFC1 used different names) and locations.
4. Check the model size compared to other TNZ models.
5. Use 3DMax to render the TI, VL and BS images of the ship.
6. Make lightmaps if necessary.
7. Make Damage textures.
8. Check break model for stray vertexes that will crash SFC3.
9. Delete all LOD textures.
10. Change all textures to 256 size and 8 bit color depth.
11. Create a .gf file, use the D'Daridex hardpoint tool to arrange the hardpoints.
12. Write a text description for the ship.
13. Import the ship model into the Taldren attribute editor and add the glows.
14. Add anything to the readme file that needs to be said about the conversion to SFC3.
15. Write a Shipnames.txt entry for the ship names.
16. Develop the DefaultCore.txt entry for the ships stats, making sure to assign the weapon arcs
      to the right hardpoints.
17. Write a DefaultLoadOut.txt entry based on the DefaultCore.txt entry, and adding a variant or two of
      loadout for the AI to use.
18. Run all the models through the Taldren recacher.

That's about all. Doing 9or 10 ships will easily take up an 8 hour day if you're careful and do it right.

Towelie

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2003, 08:48:14 pm »

OUCH. Just when I thought I had the ships, I found even better ships. My schedule's been crazy last few days with Holloween and THE PARTY.

Since you have experience, I can send you the ships or I'll still convert them if you have other projects. I'll do whatever I can to help. I've got probably 30-50 megs in models and still got to evaluate which ones are worthy. There are so many collections of ships scattered everywhere. I keep finding more.

BTW, heard about the, "meltdown". I've been there before and had to take a break from it. It took me a while but I've almost recovered from it. You cannot please all the players all the time. Not possible. Plus, most complaints you get are bogus complaints and you don't hear from the people that are happy because they'll be playing not complaining.

Good luck and I'll keep you updated. I'll be getting some more time now that the holiday is over.  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2003, 01:38:01 pm »
Well I wanted this to be a "community project" but it looks like the SFC3 modding community ain't going for it. Not sure why exactly. I've made the sounds, Towelie chose some great ships, now someone is needed to do the conversions. Is the SFC3 comunity really so small?

TheBigCheese

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2003, 01:46:20 pm »
I've got some models I did way back that I can convert but they are SFB conversions and not that detailed  

SghnDubh

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2003, 08:35:48 pm »
Well, the site is up.

www.retrotrek.com

We'll be putting forums together at retrotrek to help organize our progress.

vsfedwards

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2003, 08:42:12 pm »
Lol, I like the fact that the only so far working link is donate.

SghnDubh

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2003, 09:45:59 pm »

Heh....yeah, well, that's the ONE thing I can code *really* fast.

We really need art, script, test, etc people to assemble what we have and start putting a mod and a server together!

Towelie

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2003, 11:34:19 pm »

I've stopped collecting models, I've got too many. I counted over 30 Klingon models alone  

Like I said, I kept finding better models. I ended up getting the best ones from Fleetdock 13. But we got to make sure to ask before using them publicly and be sure to give credit where it's due depending on what ships we settle with.

I got some pre-tos and pre-tmp ships also. I figured some pre-tos stuff would be nice (sort of like having the Excelsior in TNG era) with a few upgrades (such as shields if the NX class is used).

Bedtime for me, I'm starting to get weird. This mod is going through even if I have to do most of it myself  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2003, 12:19:32 am »
Well I'll pitch in more of my own time if needed, the idea of a really good TOS mod is too good to pass up. I only wish more people were interested in helping.

Towelie, if you can zip up the ships you've got, and post a link for me to download them, I'll select some to go into the mod and ask for permissions, then start the conversions.  

TheBigCheese

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2003, 03:37:10 am »
what is the fourth race going to be? Gorn  

SghnDubh

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2003, 12:59:16 pm »
Actually, if the 4th race could be a menagerie, that would be cool. For instance, a Gorn ship or two (true to the one encountered by 1701), a planet killer, a mirror universe Enterprise or some Fed ships taken over by the M5 computer, a tholian, an organian (bright ball of light, as strong as a cube), mudd's pirate cruiser, Cireno Jones' cruiser (with TRIBBLES AS CARGO) , lazarus' ship from the alternative factor, an energy cloud like in Metamorphosis, an actual model of the Nomad probe(?),  in The Immunity Syndrome an enormous space-dwelling amoeba, Khan's Botnay Bay, and ... this would be SO kitch--- a huge hand of apollo that locks you into a non-repellable tractor beam and crushes your hull  

Also, all the Fed bases look like space station K7, and we should have one mission where the player's ship takes damage from a computer-generated war, as in A Taste of Armageddon.

There is precedent for a Daedelus-class ship to show up (A Piece of the Action).

Captain KoraH

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2003, 02:16:15 pm »
Unfortunately they never showed the Gorn ship in "Arena". I think all the other various monsters and stuff you mentioned would make great mission based enemies, but not so great as a set race. Having the Borg be replaced by just space monsters would be fine, and all those "non-alligned" ships you mention can be thrown in as Rakellians, Pirates or what have you.

Has anyone given any thought to making a defined story arc with the missions? We could make a single player story campaign with new missions. Maybe Pelican would like to contribute to the project in that respect?

SghnDubh

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2003, 05:11:56 pm »
Quote:

Unfortunately they never showed the Gorn ship in "Arena".

No, but they described it as being equal to the Enterprise, but a bit faster, IIRC. Sounds like a Gorn CA?

Quote:

Has anyone given any thought to making a defined story arc with the missions? We could make a single player story campaign with new missions. Maybe Pelican would like to contribute to the project in that respect?  

Yeah. I'd love to see a campaign around the last missions of the Daedelus-class ships, and the launching of the very first Constitution Class ships. Think about what the Constitution brought compared to the previous ships in the fleet! And there could be corresponding arcs around how the Romulans must recover from the first earth-romulan war, and fly sub-light only ships until they have to complete a "steal fed warp technology" mission -- which then opens the yard to warp ships. Meanwhile the Klink arc could deal with the winding-down of hostilities between Roms and Klinks, and crafting a truce that leads to shared technology which opens cloaking to the Klingons when a Klink player completes a key mission.

PS
Actually, I think a player-flown "petting zoo" of ships would be killer...think of it---Taking a squadron of D7's and BOPs against player-piloted PlanetKillers and Giant Aomebas?  WOOT

Towelie

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2003, 07:40:02 pm »

Okay, I'll take care of that. I just now got home and am off all day tommarow. Do you want me to dump the pre-tos ships or should I compress them all? And where should I send them, there are quite a few megabytes? My webspace will only allow 10 megabytes  

SghnDubh

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2003, 09:34:21 pm »
Towelie,

I would keep the pre-tos ships that might have flown right before the Constitution-classes "changed the landscape."  I think it would be cool to move from one of those types of ships to the (relative) powerhouses we see on TOS....my 02.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2003, 10:11:59 pm »
Yeah lets keep the pre-TOS ships until we see what we've got and start weeding the list down to just a few ships per class. I think we need to try to reach parity between the playable races as far as numbers of flyable ships goes. I guess if you could break it all down into 10mb chunks I could start downloading them one per day until I got it all. PM me with the URL.