Topic: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread  (Read 22843 times)

Captain KoraH

The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread
« on: October 22, 2003, 02:44:10 pm »
I think I've got the perfect collaboratory project for us to work on. I was going to make a TOS mod for SFC3, but I have decided that such a project might be something we could all do together. I already have been working on a TOS sounds mod, and weapon textures.

Here is my suggestion:

I propose we keep it simple and just do one ship per class, keeping the big 3 original races. I feel that we should just make the mod to not use the Borg, but if you guys want to do this project and you feel we should change them into something else, maybe space monsters or something, that would be cool too. What say you guys?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Captain KoraH »

Towelie

Re: Hailing Chris Jones, ThePelican and Nannerslug
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 10:14:40 pm »
   STOP INVADING MY THOUGHTS!!!

I was working on that too. I've been collecting models and messing around. So far it seems some models need some conversions to SFC3 from SFC2. I was reinstalling my modeling tools and studying up on them.

James Formo

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 10:31:33 pm »
lol I wanted to do this as well. Only it would take me 6-8 months      I was planning on using the Borg slot as the mirror verse.  Combining Mirror Feds and Klinks in there  But seeing as its being covered I guess I just put my feet up and wait for the release

Dang nabbit since all bases appear covered I may have to do a non trek Mod.   I can get a few TOS ships done if you need em though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by James Formo »

Captain KoraH

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 10:46:04 pm »
Ok, this is what  I've got: A TOS sound mod for SFC3, complete with Romulan, Klingon and Federation sound files and music. I'm really happy with how it turned out. But when I got to the part where I get the ships, I realized I don't have ANY TOS ships!

I think this should be a first class project, only the very best ship models will do. I think it's perfectly fine for anyone who wants to be a part of the "SFC3 Community TOS mod" to pitch in.

I got the music and sounds, who will gather up the best TOS ships?

Towelie

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 11:34:22 pm »
   I am already gathering ships and installing the software to modify them for SFC3. There are plenty of GREAT SFC2 TOS ships, they just need to be updated and credit given where due.

ActiveX

Re: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 12:19:17 am »
My mod was going to be Pretos...

TheBigCheese

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 02:10:46 am »
Korah,

Have you visited Ghost's site

http://www.strategyplanet.com/sfc/omega/fleetdock13/

perhaps you could get permission off him for model use, he has EVERYTHING!
Trouble is he left after 'the modders civil war'  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 02:41:18 am »
I think we should put Towelie in charge of the ship models for the mod. I'll just keep my involvement limited to the sounds. Whoever does the stats I think they should be very stock-ish and not overboard, so they appeal to the widest variety of players. Any takers?

Rhaz

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 08:55:52 am »
I think this a great idea!  I even like the use of the Borg slots for Monsters - the DDM could use a work out.....

Towelie

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 10:31:28 am »

I've got some pretty high polly ships. This will be fun! I've been collecting these for years. I'm going to get my web space activated so I can post in game pictures of them.

I assume most people can handle these high polygon models, including battleships. Although I want to try and improve some break models.

Should we do monsters for Borg or just replace them? Oh well, I'll think about it at work. My hours are getting freed so I only got a 6 hour shift today.

I got 3D Studio Max 5 reinstalled (thanks to my unlce who helped sponser the package). So I'm ready to start some conversions and work on damage textures.  

NannerSlug

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 11:13:48 am »
korah.. check my mod out.. many of those TOS vessels are there.

ActiveX

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 01:34:42 pm »
Nanner, I assume this is supposed to be Total TOS...

Captain KoraH

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 01:43:36 pm »
ActiveX has a point. There are not enough Romulan and Klingon TOS ships out there. Perhaps we need to include FASA TOS ships to fill the ranks. I think retexturing all the Klingons and Roms to look like the TOS Warbird and D-7 would make it really feel like a professional mod. I just finished the TOS sounds mod last night. I actually impressed myself with this one, and that's a hard thing to do  

Also, I think I'll continue to stress that I think this should be a straight TOS mod. All races should use the same photon torpedo, with the exception of the Romulans who should use plasma. The Klingons and Roms should both use the R-Disruptor, as nothing like the Klink one existed in TOS. The Q-torp, K-Torp, Myotronic and  Pulse Phaser should not be available. But, for purely gameplay reasons, I suggest we leave the tachyon beam in the game.  

ActiveX

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 01:48:33 pm »
Maybe the Tachyon Beam should be moved to deflector dishes as a special weapon...

Any way to do that without gimping the user?

I_Mudd

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2003, 02:00:19 pm »
Interesting Idea. I particularly like the Borg/ Monster replacement ... but why not include all the "Hostile Guest Aliens" into the mix as well ( i.e. Kahn, Mirror Universe, Gorn, Tholians, Orions, Kzinti - animated series, etc.).

Actually, this gives me an idea. If you took a simple cube, tipped it to the side a little, Added a colorful texture-completely light mapped all over, then added a glow around the whole thing, ... wouldn't that look alot like the First Federation craft, and a few other TOS "Bad guy-of-the-week"?

Now if I could just figure out how the heck to add a space ameoba ...

Food for thought.

I_Mudd.

NannerSlug

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 02:05:02 pm »
active - you missed my point.. korah was looking for models.. my mod has a good number of models.. not enough for all races, but it has a lot of tos stuff to at least begin with.

ActiveX

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2003, 03:11:25 pm »
Oh yes, the models...hehe...

DH123

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2003, 03:15:16 pm »
It's called OP, early era    

Towelie

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2003, 04:08:30 pm »

The First Federation was a giant sphere (yes, I'm home early).

Towelie

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2003, 04:31:13 pm »

Do not worry about lack of ships, I will do my best to help and we might get some help from those who dwell in the model forums.

TOS ships are pretty basic in design for non fed races (low budget for them, heheh).

Let me compile these together and see what I am missing.