Topic: With the deals, Novell is battling Microsoft on its home turf: the PC operating  (Read 5107 times)

Toasty0

Normally I would quote the article, but I think that to put this article in perspective the reader should see who is paying the piper for the publisher to publish this article.

A drop of irony anyone?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/10/technology/10novell.html?ex=1069045200&en=c72d7100a41ad53d&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE  

Kortez

Toasty, IBM has long wanted Microsoft brought to its knees.  This announcement is no surprise.  I  hope Novell is successful.  IN fact, I have a new copy of SuSE 9.1 Professional.  So far I definitely prefer RedHat to SuSE in the sense that SuSE can be a bit buggy at the SysAdmin's level.  SuSE has a far superior X Window desktop.  I am sure with a patch here and there, though, it could be easy for SuSE to be about the best Linux distro.  

I have always felt a good amount of choice is good for the computing industry and those who happen to use those computers.

You know, if you remember IBM from the 80s and early 90s it is somewhat amazing IBM supports Linux.  I have to grant you that.

I hope it goes better than Novell's last desktop OS.

Anybody remember DR-DOS? <snicker>

Kortez

That version of Unix was very user unfriendly, in a time of poor X Window development.  There was no Open Office like there is now, and the use of Unix was clunky at best.  Propeller heads like me loved it but few normal people

Hell, I have a computer with 3 flavors of Linux AND FreeBSD installed on it.

We will see.  I think this is a losing battle, but you never know.

Toasty0

Quote:

Toasty, IBM has long wanted Microsoft brought to its knees.  This announcement is no surprise.  I  hope Novell is successful.  IN fact, I have a new copy of SuSE 9.1 Professional.  So far I definitely prefer RedHat to SuSE in the sense that SuSE can be a bit buggy at the SysAdmin's level.  SuSE has a far superior X Window desktop.  I am sure with a patch here and there, though, it could be easy for SuSE to be about the best Linux distro.  

I have always felt a good amount of choice is good for the computing industry and those who happen to use those computers.

You know, if you remember IBM from the 80s and early 90s it is somewhat amazing IBM supports Linux.  I have to grant you that.

IBM is a corporation culture caught in the grips of living in its glories of the past and is busy trying to revenge percieved wrongs from that same past. That paradigm does not strike me as a savy business formula in the long run.

Best,
Jerry  

hobbesmaster

Quote:

I am sure with a patch here and there, though, it could be easy for SuSE to be about the best Linux distro.    

Uhm.  Slackware, Gentoo and Debian all come long before SuSE, Mandrake and Red Hat in my book...  

Toasty0

Normally I would quote the article, but I think that to put this article in perspective the reader should see who is paying the piper for the publisher to publish this article.

A drop of irony anyone?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/10/technology/10novell.html?ex=1069045200&en=c72d7100a41ad53d&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE  

Kortez

Kortez

That version of Unix was very user unfriendly, in a time of poor X Window development.  There was no Open Office like there is now, and the use of Unix was clunky at best.  Propeller heads like me loved it but few normal people

Toasty0

Quote:

IBM is a corporation culture caught in the grips of living in its glories of the past and is busy trying to revenge percieved wrongs from that same past. That paradigm does not strike me as a savy business formula in the long run.

Best,
Jerry  

hobbesmaster

Quote:

I am sure with a patch here and there, though, it could be easy for SuSE to be about the best Linux distro.    

Uhm.  Slackware, Gentoo and Debian all come long before SuSE, Mandrake and Red Hat in my book...  

Toasty0

With the deals, Novell is battling Microsoft on its home turf: the PC operating
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2003, 06:52:05 am »

A drop of irony anyone?

Kortez

Kortez

Toasty0

Quote:

Best,
Jerry  

hobbesmaster

Quote: