Topic: Please change your Icon, it's dirty.  (Read 2108 times)

Toasty0

Please change your Icon, it's dirty.
« on: November 12, 2003, 06:17:24 am »
While researching something for one of our mellower moderators I ran across this little tid bit and thought someone of you might find it useful.

"How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q310192
SUMMARY
You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows; however, you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut icon.
MORE INFORMATION
To make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut icon:
Open My Computer and browse to the folder that you want.
Right-click the folder, and then click Create Shortcut. If you are prompted to place the shortcut on the desktop, click Yes.
Right-click the shortcut you created, click Properties, and then click Change Icon.
Click the picture of the icon you would like the shortcut to use, click OK, and then click OK.
No Icons Available
If you click Change Icon, and there are no icons available, use the Browse button to find Shell32.dll:
Right-click the shortcut you created, click Properties, and then click Change Icon.
Click Browse, type %systemroot%\system32\shell32.dll in the File name box, click Open, click the icon you want to use, click OK, and then click OK.
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192

Now if I could just con someone into making me a 16x16 Orion Pirate icon.

Best,
Jerry  

Toasty0

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 06:17:24 am »
While researching something for one of our mellower moderators I ran across this little tid bit and thought someone of you might find it useful.

SUMMARY
You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows; however, you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut icon.
MORE INFORMATION
Right-click the folder, and then click Create Shortcut. If you are prompted to place the shortcut on the desktop, click Yes.
Click the picture of the icon you would like the shortcut to use, click OK, and then click OK.
No Icons Available
If you click Change Icon, and there are no icons available, use the Browse button to find Shell32.dll:
Click Browse, type %systemroot%\system32\shell32.dll in the File name box, click Open, click the icon you want to use, click OK, and then click OK.

Best,
Jerry  

Toasty0

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 06:17:24 am »

SUMMARY
MORE INFORMATION
No Icons Available

Best,
Jerry