« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 03:12:27 pm by IntgrSpin »

Toasty0

Re: BSG
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2003, 12:14:24 pm »
Boys, let's bahave ourselves.

TalonClaw

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2003, 12:48:05 pm »
I thought the show was great sci-fi.  Those who are so closed minded owe it to themselves to at least take a look at the pilot and then judge it.  I see it as a new show retelling an old story.  It's better than the original despite it's few downsides.

The sex scene was a bit much for a prime time show but I think it was showing how Baltar falls from grace.  He's weak like most men when it comes to a sexy woman.  She's obviously cultivating him for later otherwise she would have had what she needed and killed him or just let him die on the planet.  His getting on SHARON's ship was arranged.  I think we will see him get pretty evil later on if the show takes off as a series.

The reason the people developed technology despite the ban on it long ago was many felt the ban was outdated and hindering progress.  Many problems needed to be solved and could be done through technology.   The Cylons hadn't been around for 40 years.  You know how corporations and governments work.  If there is no threat then they can not justify something that is either costly or a hindrance to progress.  In the name of progress and money we need to move on.  That's what we were seeing in Baltar's TV interview.  

Baltar completes a navigational program with 6's help. It's the CNP that the Cylons use to shut down the Vipers, Battlestars, and defenses.  It's installed in the entire fleet's ships.  Since there are probably not many who understand the artificial intelligence of his programming no one probably ever questioned it.  This is what the Cylons use to shut down all the fleet.  Galactica did not use this new navigational software.  It's systems were still antiquated. Adama apparently remembered the threat technology could be and refused to ever let his ship be updated.  Probably the main reason it was being retired.   6 was also allowed by Baltar to poke around the defense mainframe thus learning all the fleet defenses, deployments, orders etc.

I'll definitely be watching again tonight.  There are already rumors that the execs have given a go for a series.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TalonClaw »

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2003, 12:59:53 pm »
BTW if anybody saw a sex scene I'd like to know when. Unless Blondie was wearing crotchless undies I don't see how it could have happened.

IntgrSpin

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2003, 01:04:02 pm »
You just move the little strip of fabric... err, I've already been warned to behave    

TalonClaw

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2003, 01:13:56 pm »
Quote:

BTW if anybody saw a sex scene I'd like to know when. Unless Blondie was wearing crotchless undies I don't see how it could have happened.  

Someday you'll learn that there are easy ways of getting around that.

dangadget

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2003, 01:21:22 pm »
was i the only viewer who heard warning bells going off as the new "reimagining" of the Cylon menace started to unfold?

ahem...Earthsiege? Starsiege anyone?

if you had read the rather extensive backstory that Dynamix studios tried to create for those games, you'd see rather significant similarities.

machines that were originally used to help mankind but then rebelled, attempting to destroy their creators.

a long running war between man and machines.

fear of technology and the intentional "dumbing down" of certain technologies.

pilotless enemy craft.

hmmm......i'm going to dig out my Starsiege reference stuff again, but i assure those of you not familiar with it that the storylines are eerily similar.  

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2003, 01:25:50 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

In hot pants??  

The_Joker

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2003, 01:26:39 pm »

Quote:

Baltar removed her undies.  The was just wearing the skirt.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2003, 01:29:04 pm »
Aliens wear panties?

The_Joker

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2003, 01:38:07 pm »
Yes, sexy leather ones, apparently.    Actually, you gotta remember, that while aliens to us, these people are still humans, and Six is modeled after a human, so I'd say that she probably wears panties.  

jualdeaux

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2003, 01:47:26 pm »
Quote:

Baltar completes a navigational program with 6's help. It's the CNP that the Cylons use to shut down the Vipers, Battlestars, and defenses.  It's installed in the entire fleet's ships.  Since there are probably not many who understand the artificial intelligence of his programming no one probably ever questioned it.  This is what the Cylons use to shut down all the fleet.  Galactica did not use this new navigational software.  It's systems were still antiquated. Adama apparently remembered the threat technology could be and refused to ever let his ship be updated.  Probably the main reason it was being retired.   6 was also allowed by Baltar to poke around the defense mainframe thus learning all the fleet defenses, deployments, orders etc.

i was just thinking along these lines. i distinctly remember hearing 6 say that she rewrote half of Baltar's algorithms. i assumed that she also put some of her own stuff in there that they used to disable the newest fighters. It also seemed that 6 would have been able to get all the information she needed about the fleet and such considering she had almost unlimited access while heleping Baltar.

Toasty0

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2003, 05:48:08 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

OMG!!  I fell out of my chair laughing at this.  

IntgrSpin

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2003, 08:53:03 pm »
It'll be funny if the only BSG thread that doesn't get locked or moved is the one that degenerates into how to get around a pair of panties.    

Blyre

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2003, 10:08:26 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Those weren't drones, Scott. They were missiles

Wallace

Ah, forget Taldren revisionist history.  They were named KZINTI and not MIRAK and they fired DRONES and not MISSLES.

*smile*

Sorry, I did not realize that Battlestar Galactica was part of the SFB Universe. Oh wait, it's NOT

Wallace

Aldaron

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2003, 10:15:30 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Those weren't drones, Scott. They were missiles

Wallace

Ah, forget Taldren revisionist history.  They were named KZINTI and not MIRAK and they fired DRONES and not MISSLES.

*smile*

Sorry, I did not realize that Battlestar Galactica was part of the SFB Universe. Oh wait, it's NOT

Wallace

Actually to me it's starting to feel more like the Traveller universe. (RPG Sci-Fi game by GDW)

msnevil

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2003, 10:16:35 pm »
You see... You use your teeth and....  

Blyre

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2003, 10:18:39 pm »
I just finished watching the second episode of BSG and in short, I am definitely developing a liking for this series. I'd give a more detailed critique of it, but I don't want to spoil it for those who may not yet have viewed it.

Wallace

Aldaron

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2003, 07:20:45 am »
For any that have missed or will miss the episodes they are replaying all of them Sunday.

starwolf3500

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2003, 11:30:32 am »

Actually to me it's starting to feel more like the Traveller universe. (RPG Sci-Fi game by GDW)  

I didn't think anyone else even remembered Traveller.  Used to have the COMPLETE set including the Striker miniature rules set.  Then my wonderful Aunt threw them all out.  Half the book were in mint condition too.  I even had the Azanti (SP) Lightening module.