Topic: OP+ 3.2 Corrections Thread  (Read 16781 times)

TOCXOBearslayer

Re: OP+ 3.2 Corrections Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2004, 09:49:27 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Actually, IIRC, the MRS does or can carry 2 drones.  I would need to actually find the only SFB book I have... but if memory serves.... it was 1 Ph3, 2 drones, 1 ADD  

it depends on the race..
.. and for it to have *2* 1-shot drones, I can't use the shiplist for them. I have to use the fighterlist.  

In the shiplist... if you give a drone rack '0' reloads.... will it only have one shot?

Gonna try it.... BRB

FireSoul

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2004, 09:53:11 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, IIRC, the MRS does or can carry 2 drones.  I would need to actually find the only SFB book I have... but if memory serves.... it was 1 Ph3, 2 drones, 1 ADD  

it depends on the race..
.. and for it to have *2* 1-shot drones, I can't use the shiplist for them. I have to use the fighterlist.  

In the shiplist... if you give a drone rack '0' reloads.... will it only have one shot?

Gonna try it.... BRB  

Of course not.
If it actually gives it 0 reloads, a A-rack will have 4 drones. Besides, the MRS has 2 *separate* drones that should be able to fire independantly. I'm not sure if it's in separate turns or the same.

-- Luc

TOCXOBearslayer

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2004, 09:57:10 pm »
Quote:

Of course not.
If it actually gives it 0 reloads, a A-rack will have 4 drones. Besides, the MRS has 2 *separate* drones that should be able to fire independantly. I'm not sure if it's in separate turns or the same.

-- Luc  

Yep.... still have bunches of drones.... oh well... too bad you can't get fighter drones to load up on shiplist vessels....  

Kizar

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2004, 01:55:24 pm »
These are the MRS stats from SFB, I am not sure if this is absolutely up to date but it is fairly close:

All: Speed 8, Damage 10, BPV 10

Fed, Klingon, Kzinti (Mirak): 1xPh-3 (360)+ADD (6 rounds)+2 spaces of drones
Lyran, LDR: 2xPh-3 (360)+1xPh-2 (360)
Hydran: 1xPh-G (360)+ Ph-2 (360)
Rom, Gorn, ISC Y150-Y167: 2xPh-3 (360)+Ph-2 (360)
Rom, Gorn, ISC Y165+: 2xPh-3 (360)+2xPlasma-D
Tholian: 1xPh-3 (360)+web spinner+Ph-2 (360)

Drone armed MRS shuttles have unique drone rails and can carry any combination of any type of drone (including RALADs) up to a limit of two total spaces.  

FireSoul

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2004, 02:16:35 pm »
Quote:

These are the MRS stats from SFB, I am not sure if this is absolutely up to date but it is fairly close:

All: Speed 8, Damage 10, BPV 10

Fed, Klingon, Kzinti (Mirak): 1xPh-3 (360)+ADD (6 rounds)+2 spaces of drones
Lyran, LDR: 2xPh-3 (360)+1xPh-2 (360)
Hydran: 1xPh-G (360)+ Ph-2 (360)
Rom, Gorn, ISC Y150-Y167: 2xPh-3 (360)+Ph-2 (360)
Rom, Gorn, ISC Y165+: 2xPh-3 (360)+2xPlasma-D
Tholian: 1xPh-3 (360)+web spinner+Ph-2 (360)

Drone armed MRS shuttles have unique drone rails and can carry any combination of any type of drone (including RALADs) up to a limit of two total spaces.  

Thanks. I think typeI drones might be in order..
.. now the question is.. how would this be implemented? Entries in the ftrlist.txt that noone uses except in the scripts? (that's fine).. .. other functions of an MRS will obviously never be used.

.. like: being able to use its transporter to lay a tbomb..
.. like: transfering drones to it (drone control. .. yes, I know it's not in the rest of the game anyways.. so scratch that)
.. like: lending ECM/ECCM..

.. also, do you have dates of availability?

Kizar

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2004, 02:31:12 pm »
Availability date is listed as Y150 (note the change over for the plasma boys).  

FireSoul

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2004, 01:40:03 pm »
Progress report...

.. I haven't bothered entering MRSes into the ftrlist yet. I'm still handling models.

.. as some of you may know, I've been 'optomizing' models, adding LODs, cleaning up orphan vertexes and creating new break mods where I found it would help, using one of the lower poly # LODs of the model. These above have ALL been done and tested ..

Tangent: this is why I wrote that models tester skirmish script.. .. use it, it helps.

Current process is reviewing my break models, and 'plugging up' the holes. What do I mean? .. well..
.. when a ship blows up, if a part that passes by on your screen is showing you the insides of the ship, you'll see right through it. (Technical terms: there aren't any polys there where the normals are facing you). What I've been doing is plugging up those holes and applying some generic internal damage texture.

Here's an example from a burke class Federation FF:

This is TEDIOUS.. .. I'm talking about up to around 1 hours per ship. Remember that OP+ installs over 200 ships.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2004, 04:15:09 pm »
Egads...that's a stggering amount of work, FS.

Thanks for it, though.

Heh..let me know when you start taking special orders for ship model mods!  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dogmatix! »

Bonk

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2004, 09:07:27 pm »
Heya FireSoul, quick question if ya don't mind...

Is the limit of ships per class still 128 and does that include "SPECIAL"?  

FireSoul

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2004, 09:44:28 pm »
Quote:

Heya FireSoul, quick question if ya don't mind...

Is the limit of ships per class still 128 and does that include "SPECIAL"?  

yes, it's still 128..  .. and you're thinking about the wrong column.
The column affected, in the shiplist for each race, is "Hull Type", the 2nd column.

ie: F, FF, CL, CA, DN, etc..

Bonk

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2004, 09:58:34 pm »
Ah, I was going by the 2538 patch notes:
"71)Increased the number of ships per class from 64 to 128."

So I figured it meant the "Class Type" column not the "Hull Type"... Doh!

Thanks for the info!  

Bonk

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2004, 10:18:25 pm »
One more quick question if you will, what if there is more than 128 per hull type - are the extras just omitted or can it cause problems?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bonk »

FireSoul

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2004, 10:34:21 pm »
Quote:

One more quick question if you will, what if there is more than 128 per hull type - are the extras just omitted or can it cause problems?  

omitted. It's as if they were never allocated. "cropped".

.. makes me think the whole thing is malloc'd array of ships of a certain size (128)..  .. *shrug* ..
Any excess is simply not used.. although I wonder where it's writing at that point, in memory.

Bonk

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2004, 11:31:26 pm »
Thats what I thought, thanks.  

FireSoul

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2004, 02:15:24 pm »
Progress report..

Model fixing:
126 models to do..
.. out of the current 221.
The Lyrans are done. The Gorns only have a couple to go. Any new additions have been also updated before being added to OP+. (ie: FCAD, FGSC, FEGSC, etc..)

Other fixes that have been completed:
1- the H-LGE and LGE+'s phGs weren't switched back to LWX/RWX arcs.

Other enhancements:
.. someone sent me to a freeware application that can do batch conversions while preserving the quality as much as possible. For example, I could not discern any differences between the 24-bit textures of p81's FCA to the 8-bit conversion of the same (same resolution).

.. so I proceeded to 8-bit-ize all the BMP textures that are in use, for all of the models. Some .BMP files dropped from 768KB to 256KB without any quality loss. The current installer is about 41.3MB in size. That's incredible. I'm adding ships.. adding features.. and the thing keeps getting smaller!

-- Luc

Dogmatix!

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2004, 02:54:19 pm »
Maybe I just don't understand SFC models (and I'm sure that the case), but I am shocked that one cannot tell the difference between a 24-bit texture and and 8-bit.  

Could we see examples?

FireSoul

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2004, 03:12:25 pm »
Quote:

Maybe I just don't understand SFC models (and I'm sure that the case), but I am shocked that one cannot tell the difference between a 24-bit texture and and 8-bit.  

Could we see examples?  

The resolution stays the same. The number of colors go down from 16.6million colors to 256. This is not a crippling thing since relatively few 'living' colours will be used in doing this. The 256 colours does the job well.

.. for examples, Thu11s' models all always used 8-bit BMPs. Did you notice?

DH123

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2004, 03:35:44 pm »
Quote:

Could we see examples?  

Not all graphic programs are created equal.   Bitmpa done in Paint Shop pro, for example, are not destroyed when the color depth is downgraded.  

FireSoul

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2004, 03:39:57 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Could we see examples?  

Not all graphic programs are created equal.   Bitmpa done in Paint Shop pro, for example, are not destroyed when the color depth is downgraded.  

Right.
I used:  Pic2Pic

.. you can generate your own examples, now.
-- Luc

Dogmatix!

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2004, 11:14:34 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Could we see examples?  

The resolution stays the same. The number of colors go down from 16.6million colors to 256. This is not a crippling thing since relatively few 'living' colours will be used in doing this. The 256 colours does the job well.

.. for examples, Thu11s' models all always used 8-bit BMPs. Did you notice?  

Nope and his models are among my faves.  Well, cool, then...  hehehe...

My big thing is hi-res...I like the hi-res models.  Da mo' detail, da mo' better....